Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another complaint about Michael's

Forgive me for the length of the post, but I am so peeved, I am venting, big time!!! I figure that some of you may understand, specially with all of the posts about Michael's customer care.

Michael's offers a 10% military discount on Wenesdays, so I decided to take advantage of that. It is for your entire purchase, including sale items. Well if you peeked at your add, you will notice that all sticker embellishments are buy 2 get 1 free. It is advertised as a sale in their advertisement. I loaded up and spent about 70 bucks (before discount). When they rang in my discount, it was only taken off of 22.33 of my total purchase. The sales clerks were not able to explain to me why this was and conitnued to tell me that the discount had been taken off everything becasue there was a different return value for the buy 2 get 1 free deal. That wasn't the case, in fact all of the buy2 get 1 free were not discounted. after about 20 minutes of me figuring it out ON MY OWN, I returned to the store and explained to them their oversight. Well come to find out by 2 get 1 free are not a sale item, they are COUPON item, and coupons are excluded from the 10% discount!!!!!!! I told the employee very nicely as it's not really her fault that if the advertisement advertises the item as a sale it is a sale item. If they are going to treat it like a coupon item then there needs to be a coupon in the flier for that deal. When I got home, I wrote this to the company:

I am writing to register my complaint to you. I recently visited your store to take advantage of the military discount. Upon check out, I did not receive the discount that I assumed I would as everything I purchased was a sale item. I was informed that "exclusions apply." These exclusions are not posted anywhere, and indeed your poster states "10% military discount, including sale items." Your cashier was unable to explain to me why while my total purchase was 70 dollars only 22.33 of my purchase was eligible for the discount. After much looking, I notice that my Buy 2 Get 1 free scrapbooking supplies were considered a coupon. However, your weekly ad advertises these supplies as a "sale item" NOT a coupon item. I am very dissatisfied with the way your company is handling discount policies. If you advertise a discount then the exclusions should also be advertised. Additionally, if buy (quantity) get (quantity) free are treated as coupons, then your advertisements should provide a coupon for these rather than advertising them as a sale item. I feel that this is dishonest and a gimmick to get individuals into your store. Until this problem is resolved, I will not be purchasing anything from your company. Additionally, I will be encouraging family members and fellow crafters to do the same. I will be requesting that gift cards, and certificates from Michael's not be given to me for birthdays, holidays, and other occasions. I am sorry to say this as I have enjoyed shopping in your store. I hope that this problem is resolved quickly and that your advertising and discounts are more honestly endorsed!

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 01-05-2011 at 06:52 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

WOW. I can't say as I am surprised tho. I have had numerous problems with Michaels as well and spoke to someone in their head office and I basically got told I was a liar. I could not believe the total disrespect and arrogance their head office and store projects to their customers. I will NEVER ever shop there again and have told anyone and everyone NOT to shop there. The service is HORRIBLE at best. I am glad to see you agree about NOT shopping there again. They do NOT advertise properly. In my opinion they have "misled" and "false advertisement" so many times it isn't funny.

Cheers to you for standing up to them as well!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Just as an FYI there are a lot of retailers that do this. They are considered instant coupons. Most time it is because the item has to be rung throught the register and items can't be rung up as zero cents, they have to be rung up for at least a penny. So the only way to do a BOGO offer is to have the item ring up for the full amount and then it taken off as a coupon.

Sometimes retailers are darned if they do darned if they don't. If they would have put a coupon in the ad in order to get the buy 2 get one free, they would have had a ton of compliants that you needed a coupon to get the discount. Now they are trying to make it easier by the coupon being automatic and they are still getting complaints.

I think the only thing Michaels should have done here is noted on the sale tag or in the ad that it is an instant coupon item. Technically the items are still on sale, just via an instant coupon, instead of a percentage off. I think saying that it is a gimmick it a little bit of a stretch.I don't think they were intentionally trying to be dishonest, they just made a mistake/oversight and forgot the the military discount with this offer would be an issue. I am not saying you were wrong in contacting them, but I think a simple, it would be helpful if you noted that this is an instant coupon item in your ad or on the sale tag would have been sufficent.

I could take or leave Michaels, so I am not saying this because I am a huge fan. I am just saying this to point out that for the most part retailers are not intentionally trying to be dishonest and there are times when oversights may happen.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

I had a problem with Michaels Holidays Sales.

I wanted something advertised on THursday, the day it was sent and the day I received it, (via e/mail) to two accounts.. On both it had Wednesday listed.

I called customer service.

I got a jerk who told me if was for the day on the mailing. I commented I did not get the mailing yesaterday, I got it today and have the date and time stamp to prove it. I asked for his supervisor (who I have dealt with before)

She asked me nicely to e/mail her the ad. She got it and called the store telling them to sell me the thing for the marked price I went there, they had it pulled and allowed me to use a 40% off coupon on it. so I got a regular retail item @ 29.99 for 9.00.

I would suggest, in addition to writing, call them, as soon as you get home and cool off a bit. They do take them seriously and they will act accordingly.

I hope they come through for you The Military Discount is a good one to have and am surprised they honor us vets that way (you do know Home Depot and Lowes do it too 10% off everything (sale or not).

Jann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Boy can I relate. I have almost stopped shopping at JoAnn's and Michaels because of their TRICKERY in advertising! Plus a local craft shop did the same thing to me and lost my regular purchases because of it. WHen I spend hours selecting sale items and carefully read thru my coupons and know that they should work and then when it comes to check out - get the sticker shock of a total that is far more than it should be... I stop the sale, apologize to the clerk who was not the one at fault - but firmly say no - I am not purchasing with those tricky coupon ads... it makes me very angry. I don't like to waste my time or spend my money when they do that kind of stuff. But I doubt it will stop - enough folks keep spending and keep these huge companies going anyway. I try to buy from smaller places now and avoid the wasted time and frustration over the trickery that goes on. It is hard to escape it - but there are reliable and reasonable companies out there especially online now days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I've never had a problem with our Michaels except for the Cricut cart sale and they were really nice about it. They realized there was a problem when the ad didn't specify the $19.99 carts were the ones that were previously marked down to $29.99. The ad made it seem as if it were all $89.99 carts. I don't have expectations when I go into Michaels. I had far worse experiences at JoAnns (which is now closed near me). It's clear that there are issues in other stores though. I know some people who won't go back to Michaels at another location just because of customer service. I haven't been to that store since mine is only 10 minutes away.

Maybe Michaels should start listening to people instead of feeling like they know what's best or going on in each of their stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
I don't have expectations when I go into Michaels. I had far worse experiences at JoAnns (which is now closed near me). It's clear that there are issues in other stores though.

Maybe Michaels should start listening to people instead of feeling like they know what's best or going on in each of their stores.
Same here. I just have no expectations of M's anymore. I clip my 50% off coupons and pick up what is on my never outs, if I need them....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

i go to Micheal's to see something in person..then find it at addicted to scrapbooking or some other online place..the prices are cheaper ( even with some s&H)..unless it's an emergency.....and really, how many scrapbook emergencies? there are too many exemptions on their coupons.....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

The part that is just furiating is that they do not have exceptions printed ANYWHERE - not in store, not on their website, nowhere - for their military discount. So really you don't find out about the exceptions until you have been rung up - that IS very dishonest. I understand exceptions - that's not the problem - the problem is they are dishonest - and I realize a lot of stores do this, however, if you explain the confusion they generally try to make you happy, the employee at michaels told me that they are unable to do anything to make me happy because Michaels does not allow them to. The more I was in there trying to fix it, the most angry I was - even now a day later, I'm just upset about the dishonesty of advertising the discounts, say there are exceptions and then not listing the exceptions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've lost count of the number of issues I've had with Michaels. I only still go there because they're the only place by me that carries a lot of what they carry. As long as I have kids that come home and wait until the last minute to tell about a project they need to do and all the supplies they need right then, then I'll still be buying from Michaels. I've spent a lot less than I used to and a lot less than I'd like to, but I'm so sick of their deceptive ads and poor customer service. Unless I need something right away, then I'd rather pay a little more to get it online from somebody else. There are no hobby stores by me anymore (all went out of business) and what few stores that are around, like JoAnns, are very small and don't carry what the bigger stores do. Michaels is most likely getting very little of my money in 2011. The ads are deceptive, the coupons have way too many exclusions, and there are only a few of their personnel at my local store that have a clue what's going on. I really can't stand Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

i had no idea they offer military discount, and our store is between 2 military bases!

our store has really gotten better since the previous store manager and the 2 snippy cashiers have been replaced. very nice staff now, and so far no real compliants on my part since the change(before it was awful at times!). now, they are a small store, so each dept is little and doesnt offer as many choices as i'd like, and they are often out of an item.

i am sorry you had a bad deal, and i hope they will make up for it in some way.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I had a similar experience just this week. The pink ATG gun was marked $39.99 on the display... actually on about 10 hangers on the display. Everywhere they had the gun - $39.99 - no special sale tag... regular price? I get to the front with one and my 50% off coupon and ...no go... the gun was "on sale." I questioned it, they scanned it $39.99 still no real explanation. I asked for the manager. The manager couldn't figure it out (computer says its on sale) and went somewhere and came back and said the regular price was $49.99 (not marked anywhere mind you.) I left it there.
My friend 2 hours away called hers and they told her it was regularly $39.99 and she could use a 50% coupon no problem (even pulled one for her.) Very weird... she even called my store and they told her $49.99. My store marking them up maybe? Our Joanns is nothing so I guess our Michaels figures they can have the corner on the market. Not my market. I can wait. Coupon exclusions are crazy at M's. My friend went to her store and bought it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts

i really wanted to buy an ATG gun...one of the women working there said they were out ck back thursday pm or friday am...apparently they only get 3 per shipment each week and "sometimes" didn't get any (so she told me) and they sell quick...so i went in thursday pm on my way home from an appointment..."we are just unloading our shipment now and we can contact you to let you know if we have one for you"...i gave my name and #...been 4-5 months now...haven't been called...doubt i'll be shopping there often...since i haven't been back...customer service there has been "how can i help you"...but no follow through...a discount will not make up for that in my mind
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Joann's had them on sale for $20.99 this week online. Maybe you can find a free shipping coupon.

Scotch 1/4'' Pink Advanced Tape Glider & Tape - 2PK : mounting tape & dispensers : scrapbooking adhesives : scrapbooking : Shop | Joann.com

Their regular price is still cheaper the M's ... probably even if you add in the shipping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

A few weeks ago, my husband returned an ATG gun to our Michael's because it was very hard to open. The one I returned was rang up as $34.99. I tried to use a coupon on it, but was told that it was on sale for that price. In the small section where I found the price for it said $34.99. It was not listed in the sales flyer for that week. I sent a 50% off coupon with him to get another one for me. He checked and checked until he found one that was easy to open. The display that had a bunch of them didn't have the price, but a smaller section had a price of $34.99. When the cashier rang it up, it came up as $49.99. They wouldn't let him use the coupon. Reason they gave is that you couldn't use the coupon on Breast Cancer items, even the manager told him that. Nowhere on the coupon did it state that. He called me very upset and I told him not to get it. I ended up getting it online.

Last edited by Jaklatet; 12-30-2010 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoisBView Post
Joann's had them on sale for $20.99 this week online. Maybe you can find a free shipping coupon.

Scotch 1/4'' Pink Advanced Tape Glider & Tape - 2PK*: mounting tape & dispensers*: scrapbooking adhesives*: scrapbooking*: Shop | Joann.com

Their regular price is still cheaper the M's ... probably even if you add in the shipping!
thanks...i'll ck it out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigtail1View Post
thanks...i'll ck it out
Joann's stores also had a 20% off purchases till 1/1/11. It came in the mail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too have had issues with michael's. I went when they had the Cricut cartridges on sale. $89.99 was on for $19.99, I was there within 1/2 of opening & not a one in store & there were only a few of us even in the store. I was so frustrated just left without any purchase!! I prefer Joann's they will take mulitple coupons as Michael's won't.

The gal told me oh well sorry. It advertised over 40 styles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sempermomView Post
i had no idea they offer military discount, and our store is between 2 military bases!

our store has really gotten better since the previous store manager and the 2 snippy cashiers have been replaced. very nice staff now, and so far no real compliants on my part since the change(before it was awful at times!). now, they are a small store, so each dept is little and doesnt offer as many choices as i'd like, and they are often out of an item.

i am sorry you had a bad deal, and i hope they will make up for it in some way.
my DH is retired from the USMC for more than 16yrs-i've missed the discount all this time!
and lowe's & home depot-who knew!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I didn't know about the military discount either and I retired from the Air Force. Guess it isn't that well advertised at all.

I was in Michaels yesterday and purchased a new Fiskars rotary trimmer with the gift card my son got me for Christmas. The gift card wouldn't go through and the cashier was getting a little disgusted. Finally she called the manager over and they got it to go through. I just patiently waited since I really needed a new trimmer.

That advertisement for the $19.99 Cricut carts was misleading. I went in there, first thing, thinking ALL $89.99 carts were like that but it was actually the ones that had previously been marked down to $29.99. I let the Michaels people know and they fixed the sign. I just couldn't see them getting snarled at when I don't think those advertisements actually come from the store but from the company headquarters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I went to M's today. Went to the check out and was the only one standing there. Cashier was busy doing "something" at the checkstand. She looked at me, didn't call me forward. I continued to stand there for 30~40 more seconds and another worker came up to the register. She saw me and said "she (the first cashier) will be right with you at this register". So I went to the register she (second cashier) pointed at and set my stuff on the counter. The first cashier looks at me again, huffs and puts down what she was doing. Rang up my items without saying a word...asked me my zip code..told me my total. I paid her and "thanked her for taking my money". She cocked her head like she had no idea what I was talking about...turned her back on me and went back to what she was doing. LOVE the customer service you can expect to receive at Michaels...not!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was frustrated with Michaels over their price-matching. Maybe it was a bit unrealistic to expect price matching over Black Friday weekend, but Joanns, Menards (hardware store) and Michael's all had Cricut carts at different prices, so I tried asking since the price-matching ad didn't specify that there would be exclusions, only that they would match the same item for any printed ad for a local store. I brought in both ads, and they refused to price-match, even for the exact same cartridge as shown in a competitor's ad (who didn't have it in stock because their prices were so much better).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by magmossView Post
I went to M's today. Went to the check out and was the only one standing there. Cashier was busy doing "something" at the checkstand. She looked at me, didn't call me forward. I continued to stand there for 30~40 more seconds and another worker came up to the register. She saw me and said "she (the first cashier) will be right with you at this register". So I went to the register she (second cashier) pointed at and set my stuff on the counter. The first cashier looks at me again, huffs and puts down what she was doing. Rang up my items without saying a word...asked me my zip code..told me my total. I paid her and "thanked her for taking my money". She cocked her head like she had no idea what I was talking about...turned her back on me and went back to what she was doing. LOVE the customer service you can expect to receive at Michaels...not!
service with a smile evrytime!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 08:59 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I really don't like shopping at Michael's either. Their customer service is horrible. They only take one coupon even when the coupons I am trying to use are valid Michael's coupons that are different ones. They tell me to come back the next day and use the other coupon, as if!

One time I found a whole basket full of travel journals on sale for $1.00. The description on the price sticker and the book itself were the same. I asked someone who worked there if this was the actual price because it seemed too good to be true. She said yes that was the actual price. I asked how many of these I could buy and she said there was no purchase limits. So I took all 20 of them. I asked the worker if she could come with me to the checkout stand because I was still worried about having a problem. She wouldn't do that so I went up alone and sure enough the clerk said that the books were $5.95 each. To make a really long story shorter after a lot of hassle the assistant manager called the store manager who said I could have the books for the marked price. The topper - I was told never to come back and shop in their store again! I haven't been back to that Michaels since. I should have written to the company but I figured why bother? But I felt like I was treated like a thief and that did bother me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, all that was so interesting. I'm here in Australia and sometimes in the past have had bad experiences with retailers but cannot remember anything like all that.

I have found on some occasions that if you jump up and down and wave your arms around and make a huge fuss usually something positive will happen - but not always.

Best you can do I think is tell management that you will never shop there again and will tell all your friends etc etc. Prop won't faze them however you will feel better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lucky complaint

[QUOTE=pSaMuse;17739427] I loaded up and spent about 70 bucks (before discount). When they rang in my discount, it was only taken off of 22.33 of my total purchase.

How lucky you are to be able to spend that much money on crafts. And how nice that your Micheal's offers a military discount. Thank you for your/your spouse's service.
Reply With Quote Likes