I recently order and received SU's Rainbows & Sunshine dsp pack. I LOVE this paper, and it immediately gave me a jump-start to make a long overdue "Welcome to the World" card for my third granddaughter, Evie, who was born in November 2019. Her birth started a four-month long whirlwind of events that kept me away from crafting. It started with her early arrival by C-section and a 10-day NICU stay; next, my sister's cancer surgery and needed care; then a four-generation, long-planned vacation; and finally COVID! With the start of Covid, I entered a year-long cardmaking slump...I call it the great Covid card-block!
Long story short, I just made good on my promise to make Evie's welcome to the world card with a unicorn theme. Unicorns were an absolute must for its theme! Evie had an IV line in the NICU unit, but because her veins were too small, it was attached through a vein in her head. It stuck up with a gauze prop that made it look very much like a unicorn horn, and ever since, she has been known as our little unicorn baby. This mythical creature has very much made its presence known in room decorations, clothing, bedding, toys, etc. So, naturally, her welcome to the world needed to have a unicorn theme!
I've wanted to try a Pop-Up Box Card (aka Card-in-a-Box) for several years. For some reason, this rainbow paper and my unicorn idea just shouted out Card-in-a-Box and with the help of my Splitcoaststamper challenge research, it solidified into this card below, which I'm sure Evie will enjoy and Mom will put into her Grandma Keepsake Box for future enjoyment! I found 13 SCS challenges that worked to help create my design and materials used. They are listed below:
1) AOCC22 - All Occasions Card Challenge/ March - 3/1/22. An ongoing/monthly challenge that encourages you to set goals ahead for each month to help you complete and mail your cards more timely! This is a very much needed and very belated "Welcome to the World" baby card for my third granddaughter.
2) USEIT2022 - Use It Challenge/ March - 3/1/22. An ongoing/ annual challenge that requires you to use OLD/ DUSTY and long unused items and/or OLD/NEW items purchased, never used, and seemingly forgotten! OLD item(s): Three circle punches were purchased in 2012/ 2013. I used the scallop about 7 mos. ago, but the other two not for a year! I seem to use my circle dies more. OLD/NEW item: 2) USEIT2022 - Use It Challenge/ March - 3/1/22. An ongoing/ annual challenge that requires you to use OLD/ DUSTY and long unused items and/or OLD/NEW items purchased, never used, and seemingly forgotten! OLD item(s): Three circle punches were purchased in 2012/ 2013. I used the scallop about 7 mos. ago, but the other two not for a year! I seem to use my circle dies more. OLD/NEW item: SU--Welcome Easter stamps purchased in February 2020; Cottage Cutz Unicorn dies purchased in 2018; Cottage Cutz Unicorn dies purchased in 2018. Both were never opened and used.
3) F4A624 - Unusual or Different Design - 2/4/22. Challenge: Make a card with a different design than your usual design. My card is a Pop-Up Box Card! First one I've ever made!
4) WT871 - Punches - 11/18/21. Challenge: Use punches. My card includes a 3-layered sentiment using circle punches.
5) ABC15015 - Alphabet Challenge/ Out of the Box - 8/11/21. Letter O = Out of the Box. My card is a Pop-Up Box Card where the elements of the card are popped out of the box.
6) S2S21DEC - Stamp 2 Save (aka Stamp 2 Support One Another)/ Anything But a Card! - 5/3/21. A monthly challenge originally to make cards to earn credit to purchase more stamping products, but evolved into a place to fulfill the monthly challenge, make friends and support one another. My "card" that is not a typical card is a Pop-Up Box filled with fun elements to welcome my granddaughter into the world.
WORD0520 - Fan Club Monthly Themes--May 2020/ Get Moving! - 5/15/20. Challenge: make interactive cards, things that move (critters, vehicles, etc.). My card is an interactive Pop-Up Box Card (aka Card-In-A-Box) that features a mythical critter...a unicorn. It is for the WORD challenge MOVE. My first letter elements are: M=mat layers (box panels, flaps), markers (Copic); O=over-the-rainbow; overlays (circles); V=vegetation (grassy border); E=embossing (heat), Expressions dies (Cottage Cutz).
9) FS692 - Featured Stamper Challenge/ virgo5 (aka Laurie) - 5/10/20. Laurie's gallery was a fun to browse. My inspiration for my card is Laurie's Shower of Love for Kards For Kids! I was inspired by the rainbow stripes and sunshine. I kept these features in my card, but added a rainbow as well. I changed the card design to a Fold card and my critter to a unicorn.
10) MIX380 - Open Up In a New Way - 5/8/20. Challenge: use a new way for your project to open...search for a tutorial that is new to you. I have used the Pop-Up Box Card tutorial, aka Card-In-A-Box, which definitely opens in a new way. Mediums used: Versamark ink, Clear embossing powder, stamping ink, Copic markers.
11) CAS580 - Clean & Simple Challenge/ Baby Mine - 4/6/20. Challenge: make a card with a baby theme. My card is for my granddaughter's birth..."welcome to the world little one."
12) MMTPT557 - Teapot Challenge/ What a Surprise! - 3/26/19. Challenge: make a card with a surprise element. My card is a Card-In-A-Box and is flat when it comes out of the envelope, but quickly expands to an open box with flaps and all sorts of popped elements jumping out of the box.
13) Wednesday Tutorials - Pop-Up Box Card - 1/1/14 by Dina Kowal. Follow this SCS tutorial and make a Pop-Up Box Card.
Ingredients: SU Papers: Cardstock--Island Indigo, Tempting Turquoise, Basic White, White Glimmer (unicorn). SU Patterned Dsp--Rainbows & Sunshine (rainbows, clouds; 2022 SAB). SU stamp: Welcome Easter (sentiment/ 2020 Spring). Cottage Cutz die: Sweet Unicorns, Expressions--Baby/ Girl. Lawn Fawn dies: Grassy Hillside Borders. SU dies--Brilliant Rainbow (clouds). Punches: 2-3/8" Circle, 2" Circle, 1-1/2" Circle. SU Ink: Island Indigo. SU Embossing Powder: Clear. ClipArt: Dandelionery (Etsy)--#182-Unicorn Rainbow (rainbow--Copic re-color). Paper Pumpkin Sunshine sticker (Copic re-color). Acrylic Window strips (stand-up strips for pop-ups). Copic markers. Rainbow Duct Tape. Glimmer scraps. Size: 4-3/4 x 6 inches.
Registered: April 6, 2009 Location: Weyers Cave, Virginia in the Shenandoah Valley Posts: 27086
Wed, Mar 16, 2022 @ 3:45 AM
Oh my goodness, I loved reading about baby Evie! I'm sure by now she is walking and talking up a storm. What a delightful card in a box to welcome the little bundle of joy into this world, Carlene! You've done a Fantastic job creating this keepsake~
�Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.�
― Lou Holtz
Registered: March 13, 2011 Location: Langley, B.C. Canada Posts: 27239
Wed, Mar 16, 2022 @ 5:19 PM
Wonderful creation and this worked perfectly for the "O" challenge for round 15. That dp was perfect to bring your idea to fruition. This has certainly been a very challenging time for your family! Your unicorn is super cute and Evie is sure to be enchanted with this!