To help celebrate this noteworthy, halfway mark, I needed a card. I have long contemplated a woodgrain card using some SU companion papers bought back in 2017, Wood Textures. Somehow, I never got around to cracking the package and using this much loved paper. Now was the time and the event to make good on the card idea lurking in the recesses of my mind for over five years!
Gathering creative mojo to formulate my design always includes research into possible SCS challenges. This always helps me with ideas to use in the design. I found 14 challenges to use, and they are listed below:
1) AOCC22 - All Occasions Card Challenge/ March - 3/1/22. An ongoing/monthly challenge that encourages you to set goals ahead for each month to help you complete and mail your cards more timely! This is a much needed birthday card for my son's March half-century birthday.
2) USEIT2022 - Use It Challenge/ March 2022. An ongoing/ annual challenge that requires you to use OLD/ DUSTY and long unused items and/or OLD/NEW items purchased, never used, and seemingly forgotten! OLD items: Seasonal Layers leaf die-cuts from scrap box; DH's garage paper bag stash. OLD/NEW items: 2017 Wood Textures dsp...finally opened package and used my first sheets!
3) FS786 - Featured Stamper Challenge/ Deb Mauch (aka dcmauch) - 2/27/22. It was fun to browse Deb's beautiful gallery full of fun cards! I saw another card I almost chose, which reminded me of the wood dsp, but I needed a layout, so I kept searching. I found this Z-Fold that inspired my layout fold. I modified it to a Side Front Flap Fold and though not a Z-Fold, it has a similar look: Gingham Birthday.
4) WT883 - Ways to Use It Challenge/ It's Hip to be Square - 2/20/22. Challenge: Make a square card or add a square to your card. The overlay portion of my Side Front Flap Fold card is a 3-3/4" square.
5) IC846 - Inspiration Challenge/ Simple Woven Always Vintage - 2/19/22. The beautiful wood tones were my inspiration: Vintage File Cabinet.
6) ABC16N14 - Alphabet Challenge--Round 16/ Nostalgic - 2/16/22. My nostalgia is depicted in the tree woods in my card. I grew up in the Redwood National Forest and along the Pacific coast. I've always loved the peace and serenity I feel in both environments...the quiet and smells of the forest and the crash of waves and smell of foggy, damp salt air.
7) F4A786 - Free 4 All Challenge/ Building! - 3/26/21. Challenge: Add something to your card related to building homes, remodeling, etc. I've put the basic element needed to build a home or remodel...WOOD from trees!
MSP42 - Misti Monthly Mondays--February 2021/ Embossing Love - 2/1/21. Challenge: Make a square card; theme your choice. Square cards are so expensive to mail!! I've come up with an alternative idea giving the allusion of square. I add a large, 3-3/4-inch, square overlay to a rectangular cardbase so you get the ï¿½eoesquareï¿½e allusion immediately. I am cheating (sorry) with my design from an all-square design with my habit to avoid postage costs.
9) MMTPT653 - Teapot Challenge/ Mary Nohl! - 1/26/21. Challenge: be inspired by Mary Nohl's art; use something recycled. One of Mary Nohl's sculpture mediums was wood. My recycles: Kraft paper bag inside and out; copper leaves from scrap stash (made smaller leaves from larger leaves).
10) CAS582 - Clean & Simple Challenge/ Heat Emboss - 4/20/20. I've used black heat embossing both on my outside and inside sentiment/verse.
11) DINSP0917 - Fan Club Monthly Theme--September 2019/ A Wrinkle in Time! - 9/15/19. My card meets the theme interpretation with the wrinkles and grooves in wood from the circular growth lines and the cracks and lines in the logs. My card is for the picture INSPIRATION. The rustic woods in this picture fit my card to a "T."
12) MIX337 - Mix-Ability Challenge/ Beach Life - 7/12/19. Challenge: Be inspired by something found on the beach. In the Pacific Northwest, whole logs are often found washed up on the beach in a variety of diameters from very large to much smaller. This is probably the result of the logging industry along the coast in the west. They make nice back rests or seats for beach party gatherings to roast marshmallows, dip your toes in the water, build sand castles and just enjoy the sites and sounds of the ocean. Mediums used: embossing powder; Versamark ink; pigment ink edge distressing.
13 & 14) S2S19A/ S2S19B - Stamp 2 Save (aka Stamp 2 Support One Another)/ Progressive #1 - 1/9/19 + Add Die-Cuts - 1/16/19. A monthly challenge originally to make cards to earn credit to purchase more stamping products, but evolved into a place to fulfill the monthly challenge, make friends and support one another. I inadvertently fulfilled these two challenges by accident. I started my son's card late last week cutting and layering papers for the front and inside (which is becomes part of the front). I didn't get back to his card until the night before his birthday, when I added the square overlay, the leaf die-cuts and heat embossed sentiment and inside quote.
Ingredients-- Papers: Cardstock--SU-Basic Black, Copper Foil. Kraft-paper bag recycled. Patterned Paper--SU-Wood Textures (2017-2019). SU Stamps--Picture Perfect Birthday. SU Dies--Seasonal Layers (Scrap stash copper leaves--smaller modified from larger). SU-Embossing Powder/ Black. Colorbox-Chestnut Roan (Ink Distress-Edges). Fold--Front Flap Overlay Fold. Size--4-3/4 x 6-inches.
Registered: July 9, 2008 Location: Stars Fell on Alabama Posts: 68418
Tue, Mar 08, 2022 @ 6:28 AM
Super guy card. Your party sounded wonderful and had some good food. What a wonderful place to grow up, Carlene. Happy belated birthday to your son.
------------------------------ My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2Brenda