I needed another February birthday card for a cardmaking friend. In looking over my Splitcoaststamper Challenge Catch-up List, I decided I needed to make a card that had something to do with rain showers and umbrellas. I pulled out an old but never used die by Elizabeth Craft Designs, Rainy Day, and I began to create my design with this umbrella in mind.
I thought it would be fun to dress up my umbrella card front by using the Basket Weave edging technique. It is a technique that looks difficult and classy when complete, but is actually quite easy to do. I've used it on five or six cards in the past, but the last time was way back in 2018! It's definitely time to dust it off and use it again!
Now, it was time to see what other challenges were on my list that could help flush out my design. I found 13 challenges in all to help my finished card. They are listed below:
1) WORD0222 - Fan Club Monthly Themes--February 2022/ A Girl's Best Friend - 2/15/22. Theme: Use Rhinestones on your card. This card is for the WORD Challenge DEAR. My first letter elements are: D=dots (embossed), diamonds (rhinestones), die, dimension; E=embossing folder, Elizabeth Craft product, Edge technique (Basket Weave aka Braided Edge); A=adhesives, aqua; R=ribbon knot, rectangle, rhinestones,
2) AOCC22 - All Occasions Card Challenge/ February - 2/1/22. An ongoing/monthly challenge that encourages you to set goals ahead for each month to help you complete and mail your cards more timely! This was a needed February birthday card, which has already been mailed!
3) USEIT2022 - Use It Challenge/ February 2021 - 2/1/22. An ongoing/ annual challenge that requires you to use OLD/ DUSTY and long unused items and/or OLD/NEW items purchased, never used, and seemingly forgotten! OLD: Perfect Polka Dots EF; K&Co. Butterfly stickers (maybe 2010??). OLD/NEW: Elizabeth Craft Rainy Day dies. I've had it about three years and finally open it to use!
4) WT879 - Ways to Use It/ Lots of Layers - 1/13/22. I have eight layers on my card, including the cardbase. This card has a fully completed white mini card mounted on an aqua card base. The inside of the white mini card has three layers; the front of the mini card has four layers (white embossed dots, aqua panel, umbrella/sentiment and finally, the butterfly). Layers: 1 (aqua bottom base) + 3 (inside layers of white card) + 4 (mini card front) = 8.
5) F4A609 - Free 4 All Challenge/ On Butterfly Wings! - 10/22/21. Challenge: add butterfly(s) to your card. My butterfly rests on the pretty coral umbrella!
6) MMTPT691 - Teapot Challenge/ Cutting Up - 10/19/21. Challenge: Use scissors on your card. The Basket Weave edge technique requires the lattice pattern to be cut with scissors.
7) MIX445 - Mix-ability Challenge - Just Wing It - 8/6/21. Challenge: Add some sort of wings to your card...birds, butterflies, fairies, etc. I have butterfly wings. Mediums: Wink of Stella/ Clear, glitter, Copic markers (colored ribbon), computer ink, Black Sharpie (re-colored umbrella handle).
9) FS694 - Featured Stamper Challenge/ Chris (aka fargets) - 5/24/20. I found this card's shower theme and umbrella as my inspiration: Birthday Showers!
10) S2S20APR - Stamp to Save (aka Stamp 2 Support One Another)/ April Showers - 4/2/20. A monthly challenge originally to make cards to earn credit to purchase more stamping products, but evolved into a place to fulfill the monthly challenge, make friends and support one another. Challenge: Make a card showing an April rain shower or things that go with rain. My go with showers is an umbrella.
11) ABC12U19 - Alphabet Challenge/ Letter U - 1/29/20. My Letter U = Umbrella.
12) CAS555 - Clean & Simple Challenge/ Drama - 10/14/19. Challenge: Drama is always around. Add some drama to your card. I've added a dramatic edging to my card...the Basket Weave technique!
13) CC723 - Color Challenge/ Someone Painted the Pool Cabana Coral! - 1/22/19. Colors--Pool Party, Coastal Cabana, Calypso Coral. My card has Costal Cabana and Calypso Coral in abundance, but just a smidge of Pool Party in two sequins and a bit on the butterfly! Dessert: metallic = sequins.
Ingredients: SU Cardstock--Coastal Cabana, Calypso Coral, Basic White. Elizabeth Craft die--Rainy Day. SU Embossing Folder--Perfect Polka Dots (retired). EK Punch--Victorian Corners. K&Co. Butterfly Stickers. SU Rhinestones. SU Glitter--Dazzling Diamonds. Stash--1/4" satin ribbon (Copic colored-R14). SU sequins--Iridescent Sequins-Asst. Wink of Stella/Clear (umbrella & inside corners). Technique--Basket Weave (aka Braided Edge; aka Lattice Edge). Chatterbox sentiment/verse. Size--4-3/4" x 6".
Registered: April 3, 2007 Location: In a state of oblivion.... Posts: 14114
Sun, Feb 27, 2022 @ 7:41 PM
Great job on the woven edge. Fun card.
------------------------------ Heather ...... My Gallery You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." Ralph Waldo Emerson Founding Member of the Punchkateerz - "You don't have to be crazy to be one of us, but it sure helps."
Registered: February 19, 2011 Location: Fullerton, CA Posts: 9010
Mon, Feb 28, 2022 @ 9:20 AM
And your card certainly delivers that ... a shower of happy, good wishes. I love that basketweave edge -- it does look complicated. Always love dotted swiss and it seems so appropriate for a "rain" card. Beautiful colors with those pops of coral against the turquoise. Great way to send birthday greetings to a DEAR friend, Kudos on your word play, btw.