I missed several friends' birthdays in January, but I decided that at this late date, it was better to send "Thinking of You" cards rather than belated birthday cards!
My Mom made me a stash of crocheted flowers about 10 years ago when they were all the rage in cardmaking! I had one left, and I thought I'd finally use it for one of my needed cards...sort of a little present for the recipient! I've also asked Mom to make me more, as they seem to be coming back in style!
In coming up with my card design and searching SCS challenges, I found that, unbeknownst to me, my card recipient was the beneficiary of a Teapot Challenge last year (during my husband's spring surgeries, if I remember correctly). It looked like serendipity! With this "thinking of you" card, I will be able to fulfill my planned belated birthday card and a belated "thinking of you" for the Teapot Party all rolled into one! I ended up with a total of 17 challenges that would work by tinkering with my card design... some are fairly current and some are pretty old!
1) MAR22VSNMINI2 - Virtual Stamp Night/ February 2022 Minis - 2/18/22. Challenge: Add flower(s) to your card.
2) CT0222 - Fan Club Monthly Themes Challenge--February 2022/ A Girl's Best Friend - 2/15/22. Challenge for Central Theme: celebrate friendship...make a card for a friend/ use rhinestones. I've used a black rhinestone gem in the center of my flower to replicate a black diamond!
3) S2S22FEB - Save to Stamp/ White & Black - 2/1/22.
4) AOCC22 - All Occasions Card Challenge/ February 2022 - 2/1/22. An ongoing/monthly challenge that encourages you to set goals ahead for each month to help you complete and mail your cards more timely! This is a Thinking of You card in place of a January birthday card!
5) USEIT2022 - Use It Challenge/ February 2022 - 2/1/22. An ongoing/ annual challenge that requires you to use OLD/ DUSTY and long unused items and/or OLD/NEW items purchased, never used, and seemingly forgotten! OLD item(s): Handmade crochet flower--10+ yrs. old; Old patterned paper stash. Old ribbon stash.
6) MMTPT667 - A Daughter's Love - 5/4/21...Linda aka Hotwheels lost her Mom 2 years ago...Thinking of you!
7) MIX422 - Spring Pops - 2/16/21. Challenge: Bring in Spring & Pop it up...anything goes. My card has a popped-up flower and has a pop-up wobble inside. Mediums: Embossing powder, WOStella/Clear, glitter, ribbon, crochet, black gem, computer ink (inside), dye-based stamp ink (inside). I forgot to retake my pic after applying the WOS and glitter on the washi bands.
IC765 - Inspiration Challenge/ Miss Vogues - 8/1/20. This website seems to be closed, so I went to Pinterest. I'm not sure the Pinterest site is the same site, but hoped so! I found this black & white Misses Vogue pattern for inspiration with an angled wrap top plus horizontal belt: Misses Belted Wrap Top! I incorporated black & white, an angled pattern design with a horizontal ribbon band.
9) FS699 - Featured Stamper Challenge/ Our Cathy Mac - 6/28/20. I found this lovely black & white card with beautiful flowers for inspiration: Curtain Inspired!
10) WT789 - Ways to Use It Challenge/ We've Got This Taped - 4/23/20. Challenge: use any type of tape in any manner. Mine is dry-embossed washi tape.
11) CAS568 - Clean & Simple Challenge/ What Am I Saving This For! - 1/13/20. Challenge: use something you've been saving for some reason...crocheted flower...my last one!
12) Wed. Tutorial - 12/11/19 - "Action Wobbles" by France Martin. Challenge: Add a moving element to your card front with these fun plastic springs. My Pop-Up wobble is inside with my card verse.
13) ABC11X24 - Alphabet Challenge/ Letter X - 8/14/19. My letter X = X-tra Special Flower. This crocheted flower is the last of my stash that was made by my Mom. She is the last of those who crochet in my family...all of my grand- and great-grand- mothers plied this lovely crafting technique! But my sister and I just could not get the hang of a single tool used to get any pleasing results.
14) F4A482 - Free 4 All Challenge/ Washi Tape - 5/17/19. Challenge: Use at least 3 pieces of washi...extra points for 3 different patterns.
15) MSP16 - MISTI Monday Challenge/ Favorite Things - 12/3/18. Challenge: choose a favorite MISTI Challenge and make a new card. I'm using MSP12 - "Brand New Occasion" to use a new technique...I'm trying out dry embossing to embed the washi tape into its background.
16) SC710 - Sketch Challenge/ 8/15/18. Tweaking: added horizontal ribbon & flower with sentiment flag. My card design started with this sketch challenge, with the TLC/ Try a New Technique Challenge thrown in.
17) TLC695 - Technique Challenge/ Embossed Washi Background - 6/18/18. Use strips of washi (like you would paper)...could do herringbone, rays vertical, horizontal, or diagonal strips...then dry emboss after. My initial card design started with the sketch challenge and this challenge, followed by input from many other challenges as well!
Ingredients: SU Cardstock--Basic Black, White Glimmer (retired). Patterned DSP--Fancy Pants Designs/ Country Boutique. Reverse Confetti stamps--Beautiful Banners. SU stamps--Butterfly Gala (mini butterfly-inside). Spellbinders dies--Grand Labels LG (inside). SU punch--Butterfly Duet. SU Embossing Folder (by Sizzix)--Tufted Dynamic. Washi Stash--3 B&W patterns. Ribbon Stash--3/4" Black Sheer-White Stitch. Recollections Detail--White embossing powder. JoycieB--Crochet Flower. Stash--Black Rhinestone Gem. Sentiment Flag--Hand-cut. Chatterbox-1 Verse. Size--4-3/4" x 6".
Registered: July 20, 2007 Location: Fergus, Ontario, Canada Posts: 50853
Tue, Feb 22, 2022 @ 4:37 AM
Oh Carlene, this card is awesome! The black and white strips are so cool, with flowers, music score and polka dots. Th as t large crocheted flower is a beautiful addition. I still have a stash of little crocheted flowers.
Your challenge queen crown has once again been polished. Wow! 17 challenges met. Unbelievable.
"Surely His salvation is near those who fear Him, that His glory may dwell in our land." Psalm 85:9
Registered: January 24, 2006 Location: Grand Prairie, Texas Posts: 8409
Tue, Feb 22, 2022 @ 10:30 AM
Very pretty, and your crochet flower is fab!
Food for thought: when my DH lost his grandmother, his sisters gave me her crochet basket thinking I might do something with it but they never would. It was/is a treasure, and inside I found different beginnings of lace strips which I then used to make cards for everyone including cousins. Most cried when they understood the gift.
So make yourself and others some cards with the novelties your Mom crocheted - do not give them all away!
------------------------------ Do or do not - there is no try! (Yoda)