My card base is Stampin' Up! (SU) Tranquil Tide. It is 4-1/4"x 11", and scored/folded at 5-1/2" and 6-3/4" to create the "hinge" on the left. The measurements for the panels are given in the tutorial.
Since I needed an ocean theme, I turned back to two retired SU stamp sets: "By the Tide" (2013) for the ocean images, and "Mini Mates" (2002).
I used the "sand" pattern paper from the SU "Sand & Sea" Designer Series Paper (DSP) and first stamped the coral image with Versamark and then sprinkled orange embossing powder over it and heat set. Then using a blending brush I blended peach, green and aqua ink in random areas of the 4"x4" main panel.
Next I stamped three sea horses from the same stamp set using SU "Soft Suede" ink, then colored them with Copic markers. Since there isn't a matching die set for the sea horses, I used my Brother digital cutting machine to scan then cut out the three sea horses. I also cut an additional 6 blank shape outlines of the sea horses to stack and glue two behind each of the seahorses for added depth. After they were cut out, I coated each with liquid Glossy Accents and let them thoroughly dry while I assembled the front of the card.
Both the main panel and the "hinge" panel were matted with SU Peekaboo Peach cardstock to pick up on the orange coral. I used a very small hole punch to cut crescents out of the top and bottom of the hinge part of the card. I recommend doing this BEFORE you glue the hinge together in case your punch can't handle a double layer of the base cardstock.
The rope embellishment was a simple overhand knot tied using four strands of jute twine. I wrapped these around to the back of the card and attached with Scor-Tape. To cover the twine on the back, I cut a 1" wide piece of the same color cardstock and glued on top of the twine and sticky tape.
When I saw the sea horses "just hanging around" I recalled that I have a REALLY old stamp set with the sentiment "Hang in There". It is from the 2002 "Mini Mates" set. I stamped it on the front using Versafine black ink.
Finally, I glued the three sea horses to the front and added tiny half pearls for their eyes. Just to give them a more interesting look, I used a fine tip Sharpie marker to dot a pupil on each eye.
This card was fun! I am rating the difficulty level as a "2" out of a possible "5" since the technique itself is so easy. Of course, in my case I made it harder on myself by choosing a stamp set that didn't have dies, so I had to scan and cut them out.
Date: Friday, June 18, 2021 GMT Views: 159