I finally started Stampin' Up's Paper Pumpkin monthly kit subscription this year during COVID to try it out, and also to see if I could motivate myself to enter my craft room and do something! I joined Paper Pumpkin starting June 2020, and I finally cracked open the first box in mid-August. By then, I had three boxes unopened and waiting for me to do something with them. I've been enjoying them a bit ever since, motivating myself to make my own card designs with the kit materials rather than copying the designs provided. So far, I think I may have made only one or two similar to the kit designs. I did find the Paper Pumpkins helpful to at least get a few cards done, though I didn't seem to be able to motivate myself to get a card finished and mailed to anyone in a timely manner! Whoa, is me!
This card is my first October 2020 - Joy to the World alternative card. I thank Ann Otto for the card layout design with its left angled overlay. While putting this card together, I wanted to play some challenges, as well as challenge catch-up. Amazingly, I was able to find 15 challenges that helped me complete my design, and they are listed below:
1) ABC14J10 - Alphabet Challenge, Round 14/ "Letter J for Jewels" - 12/16/20. I have used red sequin jewels on the card face and gold for the flower stamens.
3) AOCC20 - All Occasion Card Challenge/ "December" - 12/1/20. This challenge allows you to choose the card themes and the number of cards you need for each month and set a goal to complete and mail them timely. I have at least 6 Christmas cards set for each month.
4) USEIT2020 - Use It Challenge/ "December 2020" - This challenge requires you to use old, long unused items gathering dust and/or new/ old items purchased, meaning they were purchased quite awhile ago and never unpackaged/ used! My old item is the Dotted ribbon tulle, and my new/ old items are my Dainty Dots Embossing Folder, MFT "Balloon Strings" background stamp, and Alina Craft "joy" die.
5) S2S20NOV - Stamp to Save Challenge/ "Christmas Cards" - 11/5/20. This month's card theme is Christmas...perfect for my card.
6) SC823 - Sketch Challenge - 10/14/20. I did tweak the sketch a bit. The underlayer below the top angled panel was flared in the sketch with its edge a bit wider going back from the angle tip and stopping halfway down its length. I added two underlayers instead of one and kept them parallel to the top angled panel and running its full side lengths, not stopping half way. My angled piece also stops at the center, rather than going all the way to the right side. One more thing...This angled piece is meant to be a flap that opens up for an Arrow Fold card, but the alternative is to follow the sketch and not make a fold card, which was my choice.
7) WORD0920 - Fan Club Monthly Themes - September 2020/ "A Walk Outside" - Word Challenge - 9/15/20. My nature walk is in a nursery full of Christmas plants and flowers, where I found a Christmas Rose for my card. My materials for the word, ROAM, are: R=ribbon, red; O=overlay layers; A=angled panel (triangle), adhesive; M=markers (coloring), MFT "Balloon Strings" background stamp.
MMTPT629 - Teapot Challenge/ "Cheer!" - 8/11/20. Make a cheerful card using materials that start with the letters in the word: CHEER (only use E once). C=Christmas, Call Me Clover, Cherry Cobbler; H=heat embossing, horizontal band; E=embossing folder, edge distressing; R=red sequins, red cardstock, ribbon.
9) WT786 - Ways to Use It Challenge/ "It's a Knotty Problem" - 4/2/20. Use a knot on your card/ project. I've used a ribbon knot.
10) SCSCCJAN20 - Splitcoasterstampers Fan Club Monthly Christmas Card Challenge/ "KRAFT" - 1/1/20. Use the color of Kraft paper on your card. My card front background uses this color.
11) TLC720 - Try a New Technique (Technique Lovers) Challenge/ "Assembly Line Stamping" - 12/10/18. Set up a system to make multiples of the same card design or use Lisa Foster's video tutorial provided. I checked out the tutorial and this was exactly the manner that I would use and did for my set of 6 cards.
12) MIX293 - Mix-ability Challenge/ "Sweet Inspirations" - 9/7/18. This challenge requires you to use two mediums on your card, plus follow the theme. This theme is to be inspired by Wayne Thiebaud's artistry. He was a Disney cartoonist and painter and printmaker, who features dessert sweets in his pictures, and does landscapes and often focuses on geometric shapes. Two of his paintings inspired me, both with their triangular designs and cherry and olive top embellishments: Sandwich Wedges and Colorful Cake Wedges. My mediums are: Copic markers, Gold Heat Embossing, and ink edge-distressing.
13) IC659 - Inspiration Challenge/ "U.S. Mint Sheets" - 7/21/18. The stamp sheets I chose for inspiration were the Christmas Holly and flowers in reds, and greens: Christmas Holly.
14) F4A439 - Free 4 All Challenge/ "Feelin' Crumb-y" - 7/20/18. This challenge wants you to use Crumb Cake color predominantly in your card. My card front is exactly that...Crumb Cake.
15) FS449 - Featured Stamper Challenge/ "She Built a Fort and Called It..." aka annsforte3/ Ann Otto. I used this card, which I actually received from Ann for Christmas and loved its angled layer layout immediately: JUN20VSNQ, TLC799, Christmas Shopping.
Ingredients: Stampin' Up products: Paper Pumpkin October 2020 "Joy to the World" kit elements. Cardstock--Cherry Cobbler, Whisper White, Call Me Clover. Gold Embossing Powder; Versamark Watermark Ink. Polka Dot Tulle Ribbon. Other: My Favorite Things background stamp: Balloon Strings. Alina Craft die: "joy." Hot Off the Press: Diamond Dots EF. Pretty Pink Posh sequins. Colorbox Ink: Chestnut Roan (edge distressing). Size: 4-3/4" x 6".
Registered: November 7, 2009 Location: Sacramento Posts: 30592
Mon, Feb 08, 2021 @ 9:32 AM
Carlene! So happy to see you in the gallery with this beautiful Christmas card. I always like diagonal lines on a card and this is no exception. So pretty with the embossing, the lovely flowers, the ribbon combination. Welcome back!