An "Internet friend" of mine (I've only "met" her through e-mail) has been having a tough time lately, as her husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I wanted to send a card to both of them, so I felt the need to keep it gender-neutral. I had gotten this stamp at a show last January, and it was still in my "unused as of yet" basket. I thought this was the perfect opportunity to use it.
I stamped the image onto a panel of watercolor paper. Because the stamp is rubber and I couldn't see precisely where I was stamping it with my MISTI, I purposely cut the paper larger than I needed. This actually worked out even more to my advantage, since I was able to test colors in the margin that I would eventually cut off, rather than having to flip the paper over to paint on the back as I usually do.
I used my watercolors to paint the scene. I had googled photos of blue jays, and discovered they have both teal & warmer blue feathers. So I used a combination of Ultramarine Blue & Phthalo Turquoise on the birds. I also glazed a bit of purple over some of the turquoise, just to tone it down a hair. The sky was actually the hardest part. I painted it after the birds & post, but before the greenery & flowers. I have yet to master getting a good flat or gradated wash over a large area, especially when there are "objects" in the way. But I still think it came out pretty well. I didn't do much in the way of shading on the leaves & flowers, since they are such small bits. After everything had dried, I went over the birds' eyes with a black glaze pen, adding in highlights with a white gel pen.
I trimmed my panel down, & matted it with dark brown cardstock, to echo the brown I'd used to paint the frame around the image. I added that to a white card base. Because the image is not proportioned exactly to fit on an A2 card, I did trim off just a bit from the bottom of the card base. I LOVE how this card came out! Hopefully it will bring some comfort to my friend & her husband.
Date: Friday, July 31, 2020 GMT Views: 145