Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tim holtz stamping press vs MISTI

I am looking at getting a stamping tool like the MISTI and now tim holtz and others have come out with other products similar to it i have watched countless videos comparing tim holtz stamping press to the misti

But i wanted to know your thoughts and i have a few questions

See i stamp from bed (not a easy thing to do) i have a table and mu hubby has attached a stamping press thing it does the pushing my issue is i cant see where i am stamping because of paralox basically it means that cos im.not sitting upright i cannot do this im.not flat either but im maybe 30 degrees or something i cant see where stamp will land
I have a stamp positioner called the fiskars stamping press and the issue is im not strong enough to push it to get a cleaj image so i can put stamp where i want it on the press i can ink it i then need help seeing correct position and then pressing down on.it
Then im independently able to heat emboss

But... my question.how heavy is the misti? Tim holtzs is 2 pounds which is quite heavy
I think the videos said misti was lighter id prefer a reg not a mini because i want to use concord and 9th turnabout stamps!! I love them but too hard with my press
I also would love and have bought some hero arts colour layering stamps have not had a chance to use yet but i reckon a misti would help a lot! Plus there are load of techniques
The reason why hard to choose is cos misti is lighter but in one of the videos they did a 1 finger test and literally th3 stamp came out perfect but in the misti they needed more pressure
I dont know how true this is in real life cos usually people would be up right sitting or standing over their work not on a 30 degree angle!!
I know this maybe a weird question but did anyone use theirs in their lap? I have two options i have the full table that goes between my bedrails or i have a lap table thats wooden both have non slip stuff on them!
I think cos of the grid lines (misti has this on base and lid but the tim holtz only has on the lid
Also tim holtz has metric measurement and inches misti is only in inches not a big thing but would prefer both but misti has bigger writing tim holtz is hard to see!!
One video said misti easier to clean!!
So i really dont know if i could balance the tool in my lap if it is 2 pounds so that would mean using the big table every time but as i said if i could use the grid to see where its going the paralox is not going to be as big a issue (maybe)
But i really would like to get one of these just having tons of trouble working out what one would be best
Also there is a huge price gap and tim holtz goes to 8.5 x 8.5 square the misti (reg ) is smaller but a rectangle

Just wondered if anyone who's actually used these products has any suggestions on what one is better why and keep in mind im doing this from my bed i know weird but im completely bedridden and im just happy that even if i do need help that i can do my craft still! I know this tool will help and cannot wait to use the turnabout stamps!!

Thanks for your help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you�ll be happier with the Misti. It�s much lighter, smaller and easier to maneuver.

I�m able to sit upright at a table while I work, and I find the TH stamp positioner clunky and awkward. It�s big, heavy and the lid is not attached so it sometimes falls off.

If you�re concerned about pressure and getting enough ink on the paper, remember, you can repeat as many times as you�d like with the Misti. Alternatively, you can add extra paper as a shim to raise your stamping surface or rub your hand over the lid (no need to press with force)..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 12:09 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have both and I think you'd find the Misti easier to use. The TH stamp positioner needs more room than the Misti, is heavier and you might have trouble changing the lid from rubber to clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 01:28 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks to you both for replying i did wonder about the lid but i thought maybe if it was sideways that i could pull it out the lid *the thing is videos always make look way way way too easy!!!*
The long long video said they liked the misti the best but in the end it came 3rd 1st was hampton art who make art impressions have one but i have no idea where to find it
2nd was TH and 3rd was misti
They didnt like the way u had to turn the lid around but didnt have a disability! The final one they discounted altogether i dont know if was we r memory keepers or some other brand but it didnt look very good!

Will be very interested by other replies!

One main thing about TH vs misti was that while SSS has ok postage to Australia i dont know where to get misti here as such and if it waa from herr would prob be more than if i bought from simon says stamp
The tim holtz one is definitely here and its a lot cheaper so its just weighing up everything
I love the misti corners and the fact is got a reusable mousepad etc
Im not getting it right now so I'll waiting to see what other replies i get
Thank you again though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 03:05 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I haven’t used the Tim Holtz one so can’t do a comparison I’m afraid but I have a MISTI and it does sound like it would be very useful for you.

I just googled “Misti Australia” and found several online stockists - I didn’t drill down to see what each place’s shipping costs were but it looked like the headline cost for a regular MISTI (not the mini or the big 12x12j is about Aus $135 if that helps you do a comparison with the cost of buying in the US and paying international shipping.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 03:20 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a TH one, but not a MISTI. I find the lid really easy to remove- you just have it vertical then pull straight up. The TH one does have the distinct advantage of having 2 open sides- right & bottom- so you have no restrictions on the size of paper/cardstock you can fit in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2018, 02:43 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Hampton Arts one was sold in Australia as the Stampmaster, I believe, certainly the Stampmaster looked the same. I couldn’t find anywhere that has it, maybe they turn up on ebay now and then. Anyway I did pay about what Angelnorth said for my Misti. Stuff dies cost more here. Some online stores in Australia offer free shipping if you spend that much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2018, 03:39 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both the TH and MISTI tools. I believe that you may find the MISTI an easier tool to handle, Both tools are very good, but the MISTI is lighter. I think that SSS also carries the MISTI along with the TH tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2018, 06:31 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Another option: a smaller Tim Holtz Travel Platform will soon be out, called the travel platform but otherwise the same, including open sides, which I find quite useful.

I tend to use the Tim platform most but have two Misti's too. If the smaller Tim platform wasn't coming out I'd say the regular Misti would work better for you. But if you like the idea of open sides you might want to wait and evaluate - watch some videos, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2018, 06:43 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by emckView Post
Thanks to you both for replying i did wonder about the lid but i thought maybe if it was sideways that i could pull it out the lid *the thing is videos always make look way way way too easy!!!* [snip]

Forgot to mention, yes, you can use the Tim platform sideways. I always do, and will when I get the small one. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

This is such a huge dilema
I read my email today and my favorite things has 30 percent off storewide not including new stuff but they sell the misti!! The regular one and they sell the mouse pad creative corners and the bar magnet!!!
If i bought all of this today with the sale would be approx $60 US plus about $15 US for postage!!!

Something like that

So will have tp talk to my hubby as its our anniversary on 12 April and 30 percent off is super good!!

I do use some australian stores like craft online craftie cafe craft giraffe kims craft shop blue edge crafts and also ebay!!
But i am not afraid of buying from overseas i got a huge feeling this would be an extremely useful tool

Was leaning towards tim holtz but with 30 percent off and your comments ugh!!!

I was going to ask for birthday!
But $60US is no where near $135 AU even with $15 postage
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2018, 05:45 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Is there a code for the MFT 30% off. I dont see it on the web site and I didnt get an email

ETA: Just saw it on Jennifer McGuires website

Last edited by ppofct; 02-13-2018 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2018, 05:52 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Beth, Do you notice that your cardstock slips as you pull up thee now placed stamp; even when held with the magnets in the TH platform? Does the same happen in the misti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

ppofct, there can be slippage as photopolymer stamps are picked up by the lid - a product of the stamp and not the tool, but less and often none when using bar magnets. The stamp size affects that too: teeny stamps versus one with lots of surface.

The bar magnets should be the same thickness as the round ones. Mine are 3.5" long x 1/8" thick and usually only one is needed. If you're interested there are some threads about them and now several sellers. I or others can look and link you to them.
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Hi Beth,
if you can send me the link. I bought the bar magnet for the misti and I think its too thick.

emck: it looks like the Misti's on the MFT site might not be the laser etched ones

Last edited by ppofct; 02-13-2018 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppofctView Post
Hi Beth,
if you can send me the link. I bought the bar magnet for the misti and I think its too thick.

emck: it looks like the Misti's on the MFT site might not be the laser etched ones
Here's the magnet and where a bunch of people bought them: K&J Magnetics: BZ082

Others could give you other links.

I'd be surprised if the Misti's on MFT aren't laser etched but you can email or call to ask them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

whats the mousepad for the mini misti for? replace the initial foam pad and grid paper? what ar your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppofctView Post
Is there a code for the MFT 30% off. I dont see it on the web site and I didnt get an email

ETA: Just saw it on Jennifer McGuires website
Yes it is save30
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2018, 10:49 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Went back to mft and if u look at the info it mentions the misti is laser etched in the description i dont know what differemce this makes but im still very happy to get it for 30 percent off this is far far cheaper than buying from Australia
Mouse pad i believe means i get a grid below and above thr stamping to help you makr it straight instead of needing the graph paper???

I am not sure bur thought it camr with a grid on the bottpm for cling stamps and then u put im the mouse pad for clear stamps

I dont know how easy physically this will be for me to usr but i know i will be able to do many techniques with it that cant do now
And even if someone hsd to press on the stamp for mr wr have advantage if it doesn't stamp first go we just do it again until it does and thats something cannot do with stamping press! It also means if i want i can just dp the put papee in and pass to my husband and he can use on tje table IF i dont want to help theres more options for me

I never thought id need one until i started watching the videos but was put off by price cos 60 US before the 30 percenr off is cheaper than mosr places!

So i reckon its a doubly good deal and i prob could get the tim holtz one instead - def having no restriction on size of paper is good as i make a lpt of interactive cards they can be up tp 7 x 5 or 7 x 6 inches which maybe bigger than misti im not sure- will make do some how!

Im not sure about the weight ans doing on my lap yer but will havr tp try it

This is anniversary present- 15 years married on 12 april!!!
So im.sooooo excited i know will get used a lot

And if its just a tiny bit of stamping then ill still use my stakpimg press on a good day i can stamp a small sentiment bu myself but i struggle with detailed pictures!
Im about to finish my valentines card for my husband and when i have ill upload it
Its a pivot card using Elizabeth craft designs karen burnistons heart pivot card die
Have had unending issues with pivot points breaking even with thick card thats approx 110 pounds!!!
But was first attempt and the one that totally broke im going to sell - as can still be used for sure!!

One last qu - what does sponsoring mean- when someone does youtube videos is it like a DT where they are given products to make their projectd with? Or products to try?? And give a opinion?

I didn't think other than hero arts? That jennifer mcguire was connected to anywhere? I havent read the disclaimer because as o said im bedridden and youtube is my way pf learning how to do this stuff!!
So i watch it and buy products i think ill use lots i mostly make christmas ans birthday card but have done mothers day fathers day wedding wedding anniversary and baby cards i sell them to raise money for charity but im not on any DT i only buy stuff myself or are given it as a present!
So im still no wiser as to what one maybe better but because of the huge discount plus goof shipping rates plus i can use the creative corners and has a grid under and above and the ruler is easier to see plus its lighter which i think is both advantage and disadvantage in that if in my lap ligjt is good not having to get huge craft table out every time is advantage (i cooked on it yesterday to make pancakes have not cooked anything for 5.5 years!!! Worked well! I havr mixed stuff but someone had to put in oven so the table is awesome my husband made it for me!
But the advantage of it being heavier is maybe u dont need to presd as hard except that the misti or TH actually botj havr advantage that i can press 3 or 4 times if i want if the image doesnt come out clear!

Thanks for your help!

Hope some of you benefit from sale i put the code up above twice at least
Its save30
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I have both. I have the small Misti and the TH. My preference is the Misti, but when I can fit stuff in there I use the TH. I like the grid lines on the Misti better than TH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by plumdivaView Post
I have both. I have the small Misti and the TH. My preference is the Misti, but when I can fit stuff in there I use the TH. I like the grid lines on the Misti better than TH.

Confused (as usual). Do you mean when you can�t fit stuff in there you use the TH?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

That was happening to me initially, but I think it's because I would put the magnet too close to the edge. Now I just place it a little farther out and it's okay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Confused (as usual). Do you mean when you can�t fit stuff in there you use the TH?
Yes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I have both, and definitely prefer my MISTI. I have issues with the TH platform getting a good stamped image in some areas. No matter how many times I re-inked and where I applied pressure, no luck. I don't have that problem with the MISTI, so I would recommend it hands down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
I have both, and definitely prefer my MISTI. I have issues with the TH platform getting a good stamped image in some areas. No matter how many times I re-inked and where I applied pressure, no luck. I don't have that problem with the MISTI, so I would recommend it hands down.
I have the same issues with the TH platform; my first one was defective and Tonic sent me a new one but I still have problems with the new one on certain places on the platform. While I have to re-ink sometimes 4-5 times on the TH platform to get a dark, sharp image, I can get a better image with the MISTI usually on the first stamping or a second inking.

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post

There definitely were some imperfect ones but Tonic still will replace them - as of a couple weeks ago, anyway, so it may be now or never time. And if a replacement is imperfect they should do it again.

I had one replaced and much prefer my small Tim platform to my Misti�s.

I had a friend who had magnets that were slightly too thick and she didn�t realize it - thought it was her platform. So magnet height is another thing to glance at.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnet height definitely a factor. I bought Tim magnets for more than just my Tim platforms. They appear to me to be just slightly thinner than those of other brands. Putting a bunch of layers of washi tape on those magnets thickens them up too. I’m not using my bar magnet much. It is too tall for my TH. Maybe I got the wrong one.

I much prefer my small Tim platform also. With its open sides it just does it all and takes up a smaller space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Same for me with the bar magnet for the Tim platform - it was a smidge too high. It was usable if stamps were in some areas far away from it but not others, so I stopped using it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

There definitely were some imperfect ones but Tonic still will replace them - as of a couple weeks ago, anyway, so it may be now or never time. And if a replacement is imperfect they should do it again.

I had one replaced and much prefer my small Tim platform to my Misti�s.

I had a friend who had magnets that were slightly too thick and she didn�t realize it - thought it was her platform. So magnet height is another thing to glance at.
I have that problem (stamping missing in certain areas) with the TH platform and contacted Tonic. Their response: "some clear stamps are thicker than others." So no help there!

OP, I don't know if you already bought a platform but I craft with disabilities and I find the travel version of the TH platform to be very easy to use, a bit easier than the Misti, which is heavier to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
I have that problem (stamping missing in certain areas) with the TH platform and contacted Tonic. Their response: "some clear stamps are thicker than others." So no help there!

OP, I don't know if you already bought a platform but I craft with disabilities and I find the travel version of the TH platform to be very easy to use, a bit easier than the Misti, which is heavier to me.

I told them - and also emailed a photo taken at the edge that showed one side raised barely higher than the other.

If yours doesn�t show that, you can write back to describe the problem in detail that no matter what size the stamp, just that one area is not stamping well. The first CS rep isn�t always the one who will solve the problem - sometimes takes perseverance.

Last edited by bjeans; 09-19-2018 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I told them - and also emailed a photo taken at the edge that showed one side raised barely higher than the other.

If yours doesn�t show that, you can write back to describe the problem in detail that no matter what size the stamp, just that one area is not stamping well. The first CS rep isn�t always the one who will solve the problem - sometimes takes perseverance.

True enough--I emailed a picture and went back and forth a few times with the guy, but decided I'm just not willing to spend any more of my precious life energy on them to be honest:-) If they wanted to solve the problem and make the customer happy, they would have done so from the very first email, imo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I sometimes use a clear cling vinyl between the Misti lid and the stamp to keep the Misti clean. I wonder if you could put a piece (or several layers) in the problem area of the Tonic one to elevate the stamp in that area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a little late on this - I own the Misti and have used the TH I prefer Misti for all the reasons noted before. Just a note of information - the TH is no longer produced so whatever you get is leftovers, they are allowed to sell existing stock. Misti won her copyright infringement lawsuit against Tonic, and there will be some kind of collaboration going forward.

Tonic Settles With My Sweet Petunia over Stamp Platform

Tonic Settles With My Sweet Petunia over Stamp Platform - Scrapbook Update
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2018, 12:08 PM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Just to clarify a bit, it was a settlement (in a few threads), and concerned a patent, since copyrights are for written material. Tonic platforms that are being sold are brand new, though “leftovers” does make me look forward to Thanksgiving. I keep thinking it’s next month.

Lots of people prefer the Tonic/Tim platform for reasons noted, and lots of others prefer the Misti. All good.

The collaboration of something-or-other should prove interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2018, 12:36 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

If weight is the primary concern when you use tools for crafting, I'd suggest making a DIY stamp positioner out of a CD or DVD case. While they won't fit large cards, you can easily pick it up even with limited mobility and strength. All of the commercial ones are much bulkier, even the 'travel' sized.

Reply With Quote Likes