Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good quality yet inexpensive coloring pencils?

I have an old set of EK pencils and as I'm now trying to get back into crafts I'm realizing these are not great. Everytime I try to sharpen one it breaks. I don't want to invest a lot of $ but I don't want "kid" quality either, if that makes sense. Any suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have quite a few sets. I really like the Arteza set. Got a good deal on Amazon. They are a wax based pencil. I also have their water co!or set. As.well.as a.present to myself the full set of Prisms Premiers. Only bad thing about the Arteza is you have to order 4 of a color if you need replacements. And watch Amazon warehouse deals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Linda E (uncbballfan) happens to be selling an excellent quality large set on the buy/sell board for a good price. Not cheap but for what it is, it is a good investment and an unusual opportunity. 

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/buy-sell-f116/caran-dache-luminance-pencils-tombow-dual-brush-markers-t635620.html

Do you want dry pencil or watercolor pencil? 
In WC, I love the derwent inktense. You can buy them in sets or individually. 

I dont have an opinion on dry. Maybe if you can get a consensus you can take advantage of Prime day sales or their offshoots-a lot of competitors are having them too. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2020, 11:09 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I just bought the large set of Castle pencils. They are wonderful. My new obsession. They are very similar (IMO) better than PrismaColor pencils. They are wax based. I bought the large 120 set and then a smaller skin tone set. I am very happy with both sets. 

My coloring book groups everyone loves the Black Widow colored pencils. What I have seen they lay down beautifully. I know this is utterly silly but I did not buy those because the spider, scorpion & cobra on the packaging freaked me out, lol. I do know they are very nice pencils and layer beautifully.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2020, 02:48 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a big set of Zenacolour pencils from Amazon. I find they work great, and can be used with my Prismacolor ones too.  I did a blog post on them- all info about price etc is in that. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2020, 03:10 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,838 Posts

I like Prismacolor pencils.  They can be replaced individually so you can add to your mix of colors as needed.  Yes, the leads break depending on whether they were dropped or not, but they blend quite well.  I also own quite a few WC Pencils in different brands, but usually go back to Prismacolor with those as well.  I think once you learn a color family, it is easy to stick with one line for both regular and WC.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Just wanted to mention one thing about colored pencils breaking (any brand). It often comes down to the sharpener you're using, rather than the pencil. Several SCSers recommended this one: T'GAAL Pencil Sharpener so I purchased it and love it. Another thing to note is that you get less breakage by turning the sharpener, rather than the pencil.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2020, 03:39 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Just wanted to mention one thing about colored pencils breaking (any brand). It often comes down to the sharpener you're using, rather than the pencil. Several SCSers recommended this one: T'GAAL Pencil Sharpener so I purchased it and love it. Another thing to note is that you get less breakage by turning the sharpener, rather than the pencil.

I'm probably one of those who raved about these. I love the fact you get the dial on the side to adjust the sharpener, depending on what you need. Anything from a really rounded stubby lead to practically a dart!
 Just be careful buying on Amazon- the prices can vary by ridiculous amounts depending on the colour you pick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2020, 02:29 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the tip about turning the pencil.  I think that's what I do, but it's been a while since I used my colored pencils so I can't be sure.  I will turn the pencil going forward.

For a sharpener, I use:
 I love it.  It was a game changer when it came to my pencils breaking.  It's brass, so it has a little weight to it.  I have the single wedge.

I love my sharpener, but I may have to check out the one you suggested, just to be sure. 

-Adam Osborne-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2020, 04:31 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post

I'm probably one of those who raved about these. I love the fact you get the dial on the side to adjust the sharpener, depending on what you need. Anything from a really rounded stubby lead to practically a dart!
 Just be careful buying on Amazon- the prices can vary by ridiculous amounts depending on the colour you pick.
Yes, yes you were.  And your rave reviews is how one found its way to my craft room, and I'm super happy it did. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2020, 06:37 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I don't know if I've mentioned this here before, but if your pencil lead breaks, a drop of super glue holds it in the pencil nicely.  Then it just gets sharpened away when you get to the glued part.  It works great for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2020, 11:35 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Add me to the T'Gaal Sharpener fan club.

I bought a battery operated pencil sharpener from Westcott. That is one of the best sharpener's I have ever owned. It sharpens your pencils to a stiletto point. I bought mine at Dollar General for $4.

If anyone is following this thread that needs a budget sharpener Dollar Tree has these sharpener's that are shaped like fantasy animals- mermaid cats, unicorn's etc... Do not discount them for quality. I picked up a couple to sharpen my crayons. I sharpened my Crayola Twistables to a fine point edge with those sharpeners. I was so surprised by how beautiful they sharpened. Yes, I wrote I sharpened Crayola Twistables. You all read that right. I love Crayons. They are an art medium that does not get enough love.

I wanted to add another colored pencil brand to the list. The Tombow Irojiten get really good reviews. They are a little pricey but fall around the PrismaColor Premier's in range. What I have seen I think they lay down better than PrismaColor. I love PrismaColor. Since Newell bought the company they changed the formula. I think they have more wax bloom now. The original Prisma's were the Mclaren's of the colored pencil world. Now, I think of them as  Audi's, like an R8. I really love Audi's but it's not a McClaren.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2020, 04:55 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm sure this thread will have a lot of responses.  One thing to consider-do you have issues with your hand?  If you do (arthritis or such), you will want a softer pencil like the Prismacolor.  Another softer pencil I have been enjoying is the Schpirrer Farbens.  The SF are an oil-based pencil as opposed to wax-based.  I think they are around $50-55 dollars for a 96 set.  The Black Widow pencils (I only have a couple of sets) are a much harder pencil lead.  One of the advantages of the BW's is that you can buy individual sets.  So, you could buy one and test to see if you like them or not.  If you buy all of the sets at once it would be a little over $100, but you would have 144 different colors.  Last time I checked you could get Prismacolors (150 set) for around $90. Hope you get enough info to help with your decision. BTW, if I end up getting more of the BWs, the tins have to go, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2020, 05:21 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I know you said that you didn't want "kid" quallity, but I think that Crayola and Rose Art pencils work pretty well for inexpensive ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2020, 05:33 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Faber Castell has a KID"s SETs that are inexpensive & JUST AS NICE as the expensive sets! You also get more colors all in one box!
Look here:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=faber+castell+colored+pencils+kids&crid=1TCQ1I OIOLOR0&sprefix=faber+castell+kids+colored+pen%2Ca ps%2C243&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_30
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2020, 05:34 AM   #16  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I know you said that you didn't want "kid" quallity, but I think that Crayola and Rose Art pencils work pretty well for inexpensive ones.

I agree with Roseart.  I gave my nieces the Crayola before I even tried them but I would expect good results.

It's a good away to expand your color selection.  Plus, if I travel with them I am "slightly" less concerned about breakage of loss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 931 Likes on 852 Posts

I am also a fan of crayola and Roseart.  I do own more expensive ones but seem to go for the cheapies often.  Probably because the grandkids always have them out on my craft table so they can color and I rarely put them away. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=ComradeBunny;22009317]

"Thanks for the tip about turning the pencil.  I think that's what I do, but it's been a while since I used my colored pencils so I can't be sure.  I will turn the pencil going forward."

I understood Sue to say do NOT turn the pencil, turn the sharpener.  I have the  Spectrum Noir colored pencils, and the video that accompanied them stressed not turning the pencil.  Obviously this means you need a portable, hand-held sharpener.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2020, 11:05 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Add me to the Crayola & Rose Art fan club. I don't use Rose Art but Cra-Z-Art. Just last month I bought the largest sets of both brands as an upgrade. I really love Prang. If you know your color pencil mediums or you know to how to layer and shade your student grade pencils can behave like artist brand. It's always about technique, for the most part, over the brands.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Here is my FYI: About two months ago I bought the T'Gaal sharpener on the recommendation of people here. I was really disappointed. For me, the various settings made absolutely no difference. I tried every sort of pencil in the house; watercolour, sketching pencils, pencil crayons...nothing worked well. Don't know why, when there were a number of glowing endorsements on this sharpener. (sad sigh) Another small thing I might mention - I didn't like that I couldn't see what was happening with the pencil as it was sharpening. I had to keep pulling it out and peeking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2020, 04:46 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

A GREAT FEATURE  of the Faber Castell Pencils, whether you're getting the expensive ones or the children's pencils, the leads are glued into the pencil. Which then makes the leads less likely to break. It DOES save your pencils! As for a pencil sharpener, I like the Faber Castell Pencil Sharpener.
Found here:
https://www.amazon.com/Faber-Castell-GRIP-Trio-Pencil-Sharpener/dp/B003UVL3RK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlvT8BRDeARIsAACR FiWTgxgquurvXefvXqCjRTWlSxHmus01v3NBqlHKwIW2mmarmk nRVpAaAqUsEALw_wcB&hvadid=323401855430&hvdev=c&hvl ocphy=1017683&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=179571878966 10617752&hvtargid=kwd-422294517310&hydadcr=5341_9615608&keywords=faber+c astell+9000+pencil+sharpener&qid=1604148329&sr=8-3&tag=googhydr-20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the input. Turns out my DD has a large set of Prismacolor pencils which she said I could borrow to try out. I've only used them once and it was on textured paper so I wasn't impressed. LOL I didn't realize it was textured until I started to color. Now I need to stamp something on normal paper and give them a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a set of colored pencils from Dick Blick that are really nice for a less expensive set. I mostly use the Prismacolor pencils that my husband bought me for Christmas a number of years ago, but the Blick’s are a nice alternative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2020, 08:23 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't use color pencils but I do use watercolor pencils. I have and like Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils (permanent when dry and can be used on fabric), Stampin' Up and a set of Prima watercolors.  Arteza.com is currently offering 60% off many of their products. After watching a few Youtube videos on their watercolors, I took advantage of the offer and ordered a set of 72 watercolor pencils and a set of 24 brush markers to add to my coloring collection. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2020, 11:56 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

If the lead in your pencil keeps breaking, it was probably dropped at some point. This is from a Product Information Specialist at Dick Blick:

What you will want to do is put your pencils on a cookie sheet - preferably lined with wax paper or a silicone pad - and put the pencils in the cold oven. Heat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit and let them bake at that temperature for 2-5 minutes.Then let the oven completely cool down to room temperature before you take them out. They may still be warm so be careful when handling them. Do not put them in the microwave because they have metal lettering on them and they will spark or catch fire.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2020, 05:16 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

When my pencil lead breaks inside the pencil, I put a tiny drop of super glue on it and stick it back inside.  Works like a charm.  The glue gets sharpened away when you reach that part of the pencil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
When my pencil lead breaks inside the pencil, I put a tiny drop of super glue on it and stick it back inside.  Works like a charm.  The glue gets sharpened away when you reach that part of the pencil.

Thanks for this information. SCS'rs are so smart and giving of their knowledge.  Happy Stampin'!
Reply With Quote Likes