Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-18-2006, 12:16 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WHO HAS THE CRICUT? IS IT WORTH IT

WHO HAS THE CRICUT? IS IT REALLY WORTH IT? I HAVE $300.00 TO SPEND AND CANNOT DECIDE IF IT IS WORTH IT. HELP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mine. I can't believe I let it sit in the box for three months before opening it - now I can't leave it alone.
Shawn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 12:31 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Love, love, love my Cricut!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 12:37 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I have the cuttlebug and the cricut...I am a card maker...to be real honest...I would give up my cricut but Never ever give up my cuttlebug! I love my little bug!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 02:10 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I love my Cricut!!! Especially if you are a scrapbooker it's great! I have already used it for scrapbook pages & cards in just a couple weeks. Now I am doing scrapbook frames for Christmas gifts & a bulletin board at work! Love all the sizes you can cut with it! I got mine at Wal-Mart for $179 & I've gotten cartridges on ebay for around $34.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Do you have a Walmart close by! They have it for $179.00 regular price. I have one and must say that yes it is worth getting. There are endless things that you can do with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

look into the wishblade / craftrobo, you don't need to purchase any cartridges for it, you can cut bigger sizes and it can make words connected to cut (like script). It is a little more money up front (craft robo is the same machine but cheaper) but you will not have to buy anything else and you will be able to print fonts and images you can download free or you can create your own.

You can also do print and cut, you print out an image, say a title with flowers on the letters and you can color it and then have the machine cut around it for you.

I would never but a cricut, especially after what they are doing to the small craft shops who they tell HAVE to sell it for at least a certain price and then they let Wal-Mart sell it for so much less. Addicted to Scrapbooking (or Rubber Stamping, I forget...) had something on their website about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I demo the Cricut at Michaels often and honestly, I would never buy one....that's just because I am primarily a cardmaker as well and couldn't justify the cost. If I had one here, it would never get used.

I do agree with a previous poster about the Cuttle bug tho....its fabulous!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cuttlebug Cuttlebug You will be assimilated Cuttlebug Cuttlebug
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

oh, forgot to add, if you decide to go with the craft robo, I have found someone who is selling 25 of them wholesale, she has to buy that many to get the wholesale price so I am getting one for $275, you can PM me for her info if you want it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #11  
KLF
Kookie Creator

I'm a cardmaker not a scrapbooker, but I have to say that so far I really like mine. It's not one of those things I couldn't live without, but it's fun to have. I mainly like it for the shapes you can cut, not the letters. I only have the one cartridge that came with it, but I want more. For some gift bags last week I cut out a large initial with the charm feature (a loop on top) and tied them on to identify the recipient--looked really cute and very professional. I'm also cutting out the word Thanks to make thank you cards for after Christmas. I like the option of cutting in all different sizes.

I got mine for my birthday. Around here AC Moore has been having an unadvertised special of $159 and selling cartridges for $59.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLF
I'm a cardmaker not a scrapbooker, but I have to say that so far I really like mine. It's not one of those things I couldn't live without, but it's fun to have. I mainly like it for the shapes you can cut, not the letters. I only have the one cartridge that came with it, but I want more. For some gift bags last week I cut out a large initial with the charm feature (a loop on top) and tied them on to identify the recipient--looked really cute and very professional. I'm also cutting out the word Thanks to make thank you cards for after Christmas. I like the option of cutting in all different sizes.

I got mine for my birthday. Around here AC Moore has been having an unadvertised special of $159 and selling cartridges for $59.

Karen
LOVE the idea of the letters for tags! Thanks for sharing! I will have to steal this idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have mixed feelings about mine. I don't scrapbook much and I think it is best for scrapbooking. It takes up a lot of space. You have to plug it in. These are the negatives. On the other hand, it is very easy to use and you can make a lot of very creative things with it. i just rarely take the time to take it out and use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 05:48 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Ok - great info. What is the cuttlebug and how much is it? Can you get it at Michaels. What do the cartriges for that run?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:03 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

I love, love, LOVE my Cricut. I've only had it for a week and two days now and I have used it every single day! I am a big scrapbooker but I have also used it for other things. I only have the cartridge that it came with and one other (3 more on the way) and I can do so much with it. I just leave mine out and plugged in on one of my scrap tables. You can use it for so many things. I am actually considering making a big family bulletin board with it. It will be so much fun to decorate it every month with my Cricut! I don't have the Cuttlebug but right now I only want to worry about the cartridges and not all the folders and other things I would "need". Let me get over my Cricut first. Can you tell I really love this thing???

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:10 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

You guys are making it hard to choose. I'd buy both if I could. I had a sizzix and sold it because I never used. (Did not like big dies.) I like the dies for the cuttlebug. They are much cutter. The cricut does not emboss, does it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:19 AM   #17  
KJ
Matboard Maniac

No, cricut does not emboss. I love my Cricut. I don't use it as much as I could, but I'm in a creative slump right now so I'm not doing much of anything. If you like to punch out shapes or cut out letters then the Cricut is great. If you go to www.cricut.com you can go to the messageboards in the community section and see what people are making. Alot of people on the boards also have the Cuttlebug. Someone on this board discovered that you can emboss light weight chipboard with the cuttlebug embossing folders. SWEET! But the Cuttlebug dies can be used in the Sizzix and BigShot also. Lots of flexibility.

The CB is around $90 and available at Michaels and JoAnn's as well as several locations on line.

Santa bought me a BigShot - can't wait to play with it on Christmas day. Maybe I'll get my mojo back. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:22 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

I just called michaels and the manager is going to let me use my 40% coupon for the cuttle bug. I am off to shop. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:10 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

I also have the cricut and the cuttlebug. I LOVE both but for different reasons. The cricut I got at Michael's with a 25% off coupon for $135. It was a deal!

I just made a bunch of Holiday Recovery cards and I cut 4 letters for each card and it took a matter of minutes to cut enough for 20 cards. If I had to do this with my die cutter, it would have taken quite a bit of time.

I also used my cricut for my son's report last night. We cut out all the letters for his poster board on the cricut and it just took a few minutes.

I love the tags, bags and boxes cartridge for the cricut, it cuts the perfect size bag for earrings and small jewelry and gift cards. I've used it a lot for gifts this year.

If you are going to be cutting a lot of letters, the cricut's great. If you don't have a need for that, the cuttlebug. In my opinion, get both;)

Jenn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Thanks - I got the cuttlebug for now. The lady at Michaels said the cricut will not cut vellum or foam. I will wait on that for now. Maybe a friend will buy one and I can play. Thanks everyone for all your help!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Okay, my husband got one for me for Christmas so I haven't used it yet, but I can't wait. It looks like so much fun. I was just at Wal-mart and the price has actually dropped since my husband bought it and it is now only $169. I don't think you can beat that price for what it does. If you have $300 to spend you can get the Cricut plus a cartridge or two. I'm sure you will love it if you get it.
blog - www.inkingaround.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 08:11 AM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLINDLEY
Thanks - I got the cuttlebug for now. The lady at Michaels said the cricut will not cut vellum or foam. I will wait on that for now. Maybe a friend will buy one and I can play. Thanks everyone for all your help!!!
It does cut out vellum. I tried that the other day. Worked great!! You just need to set the blade to a lower setting.

My DH got mine for $169 at Walmart, too. It was originally $195 but by the time he went to purchase it, a few days later, the price had dropped. I wonder what they are going to sell their cartridges for now.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ireally love my Cricut, I have got my money's worth over Christmas where I have made so many boxes to put chocolates in. The Cuttlebug is next, but I am going to have to save for that.
The Wishblade/Craftrobo really doesn't appeal to me as it takes all the crafting out of it for me, it does too much of the cardmaking/scrapbooking for me and doesn't really leave enough crafting for me to do. It is great if you enjoy digi scrapbooking/cardmaking, but I don't.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 09:00 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ally
Ireally love my Cricut, I have got my money's worth over Christmas where I have made so many boxes to put chocolates in. The Cuttlebug is next, but I am going to have to save for that.
The Wishblade/Craftrobo really doesn't appeal to me as it takes all the crafting out of it for me, it does too much of the cardmaking/scrapbooking for me and doesn't really leave enough crafting for me to do. It is great if you enjoy digi scrapbooking/cardmaking, but I don't.
The wishblade/craftrobo is the same concept as the cricut but you have more options with sizes and what shapes you can cut (you don't need a cartridge). It's a cutter so I'm not sure why you would use it for digi scrapbooking? Maybe you are thinking of something else. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 09:45 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

I can't believe I bought this. Why does it feel like I am cheating on my SU stamps? Does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone know if they make something to store the die cuts in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ally
I don't understand this comment...they are essentially the same machine except that the WB doesn't need cartidges...

you can't use the WB for digi-scrapping....I'm confused what you are thinking about ... cause it isn't the WB...

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Are you happy you bought it, I'm looking into one.

Camie
Reply With Quote Likes