Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Whats with Punches

Can someone explain this to me?I have a couple of punches by EK Success that are paper shapers. I understand they are also the manufacturers of the Stampin up punches .

I also noticed that they make Martha Stewart Punches and just saw Jolee punches at Michaels made by guess who..... EK success once again.

Here is the question.... if they make all of these punches how come some like MS do not punch as well... could it be it is makde of a lesser grade of metal?

Martha's punches for example are not cheaper punches so why do they not punch as well as the paper shapers or the stampin up punches.I notice a lot of people like her punches ,but complain that some do not cut well, and considering that the above mentioned are all made by the same company this does not make sence.The comments made about her punches have made me sceptical about purchasing them, in spite of the fact that I love my paper shapers punches made by the same company.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it's like in clothing manufacturing. It's all in the label. Old Navy, Areopastale, (or is it American Eagle?), and Abrocrombi & Fitch are all made by the same manufacturer. The only difference is the label. Some of the items may have a slight difference in quality, but the prices have a big difference! I may be wrong, but I think they may have quality differences when it comes to punches. I bought 2 MS snowflake punches a couple of years ago and one of them broke. The handle broke right off! So I'm very hesitant about buying MS punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Different sellers will have different standards that they hold their manufacturer to. Perhaps SU requests higher quality product. I have heard several complaints about MS punches not working well on high quality heavy paper. I have never tried them, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I haven't had a problem with MS punches and all of mine but one are from Wally World. I have had problems with my scallop circle punch from SU, it does fine but it has always been harder than any of my others to use. Now with all my nesties I would gladly trade it. I don't have any of the MS punches that emboss and I have read that those have issues so I don't know.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 05:09 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Hmmmm, is it only the Martha border punches that are troublesome? I LOVE punches (but am in the UK so no Martha punches for me!) but I've got punches from several companies. The only ones I've had trouble with are the Fiskars border punches. They wouldn't punch through CS - only paper. I wonder if it's because the border punch designs tend to be more intricate so they are made slightly differently?

The only border punch I've come across that works with CS is my SU! Scallop Border punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, I actually didn't run into any problems with my martha stewart punches yet, but have had problems with both Paper Shapers and SU punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I do NOT understand punches AT ALL! I love the designs available but I am usually disappointed in them. It seems to me that they are supposed to cut paper, so why do some only cut through DP and others can go through card stock? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

A lot of the MS punches involve embossing, which doesn't work so well with cardstock. Even when it punches and embosses as it is intended, the result may not be what the customer expected of the embossing. I hope the product designers concentrate on cutting and just leave out embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you want to use the MS border punches, I've found that if I use my left hand to hold the rectangle part and push the lever with my right that it works better. Now, so you know, I'm right handed. Before that, it was giving me fits. Just works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I've stopped buying MS punches because the last several I bought I ended up returning -- they just wouldn't punch through cardstock. Any cardstock. A punch that will only work on paper is useless IMO. You'd think that all EK punches would be of the same quality, but after my own experience, I'm thinking they're different depending on the "brand name" they end up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I love the look of the MS punches on cards, but I have had some problems using them. When taking it back to the store, they told me that the problem was the cardstock (which was SU). They said MS punches work best on a lighter-weight cardstock. So that limited my purchases!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default What's with punches

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marla CreamerView Post
I love the look of the MS punches on cards, but I have had some problems using them. When taking it back to the store, they told me that the problem was the cardstock (which was SU). They said MS punches work best on a lighter-weight cardstock. So that limited my purchases!
If the info you received is true, then that re-inforces my opinion in my first post and that is.... that since all are made by the same company (EK Success )they must use different grades of metal for their blades.

I use their paper shapers and really like them. I once bought a marvy punch from Mikes and it wouldnt even cut through copy paper now that is bad. If it wont cut when its new I took it back, as I did not think I should have to cut through foil to see if that would help.

What did they do even when I showed them that it did not cut ...they put it back on the shelf for the next customer .

From all the posts( many) regards MS punches, it would appear it may be the luck of the draw as some love em and some hate them.
Reply With Quote Likes