Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-14-2015, 04:43 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Watercolor paper

I would like to learn some of these wonderful techniques using inks
and water.
I know I need watercolor paper. Can you tell me a little bit about what kind
of watercolor. When I think of watercolor paper i remember the kind that is
kind of bumpy.
Thank you for help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 05:13 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I'm new here but I have done quite a bit of watercolor. I watercolored all 65 of my Christmas Cards this year and don't consider myself a novice anymore although I am not an expert either.

There are several things to consider and what I like you might not. You need paper that can actually hold quite a bit of water and I started with Canson XL 140# Cold Pressed paper that I buy in a pad at Hobby Lobby with a coupon. You should be able to get it at craft and hobby stores or art supply stores. Some people really like the Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor Paper but it's a lot more expensive to use. I buy the pad of 30 sheets and cut that down to card size for a more economical use. That particular paper is a creamy white rather than a white paper. Especially when you are just learning to do this, you need to just accept the fact that you will waste paper, but the quality has to be good enough for you to learn on. Once I learned how the water and dye inks would behave, I tried a few other papers and I have a favorite now which is Canson XL Bristol Paper that I also buy at Hobby Lobby. It is a 96#, brighter white although not stark white (more marshmallow-y colored). Lots of people like Strathmore Bristol Smooth. You can also use either the textured side or the smooth side - whichever you like. There is also Aches brand, but that is more for people creating fine art paintings rather than a card if that makes sense.

I don't want to overwhelm you with information, so if you have more specific questions I will try to answer them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSkyView Post
O.k. let me go the other way. If you want superior results, better color, less feathering, more control, and just be happier (except for the price), go with real artist quality watercolor paper. Craft store water color paper is NOT the real thing. The moment you feel the difference you'll know. The craft store version is made for profit, less of everything. The artist version has been made for over 100 years and perfected for watercolors, inks, washes, and gouache. They are both paper but after that there is no comparison.

First the Caslon, Strathmore, etc. say 140 pound and aren't. There are no government regulations preventing them from lying.

Second traditionally there are two main weights of watercolor paper. The 140 and 300. The 300 is probably too thick for your use since it's almost like matt board.

Third the finish on Caslon, etc. is pretty much like card stock, smooth and largely repellant. Real watercolor paper is absorbent yet is not a sponge that dilutes the pigment. Traditionally there are smooth/hot press, lightly textured/cold press, and rough press which has a lot of "character". Again once you feel the difference you will have no doubt.

Fourth artist watercolor paper is mostly sold in large sheets which is a pain if you only use small amounts. Thankfully in the last few years vendors are making smaller pads and even books.

Fifth… well the cost. You can spend silly amounts on watercolor paper but don’t have to. Arches has been making their since the stone age -- your nearest real art store has some. DickBlick and other on-line stores sell watercolor paper in a mind-boggling variety. A few vendor will cut to size before shipping which is awesome… but it’s not free.

Personally I horde watercolor blocks which have “taped” edges so there’s never any warpage (use a pallet knife to separate sheets why you’re done). Blocks are not cheap. Sigh. But my local art store puts them between 30-50% off once or twice a year. DickBlick has done it a few times. I use these blocks for everything and anything: covers for art journals (300 pound), hefty bookmarks, handmade tags, ATC blanks, Gelli prints, and of course watercolors, acrylics, sprays, etc.

Having a good substrate makes all your effort so much better. I only go for Caslon when I’m doing something like art journals for kids and messing around in my studio. Think of it this way, if you take a dollar store kids crayon and tested it against a NeoColor… that’s what it’s like. Better everything. Don’t cheat yourself or your art.
If you are only making watercolor cards, why do you need expensive paper? I know a very fine water color artist who likes and uses the Arches that can be found at Art Supply Stores. Please correct me if I am wrong, but most of what goes into the gallery here is cards, not fine art prints. Therefore, she is not talking about creating a work of art from scratch, only in reference to card making.

Last edited by Mimi_2_Charlie; 12-14-2015 at 07:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 07:19 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

When I watercolour I use Arches 140 lb cold press but if I am doing cards I found a really reasonably priced 'student' quality at Michaels. l40 lb comes in cold press or hot (smooth surface) and works great for cards that may be thrown away after the holiday..by some people! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you all for the great information.
I would like to try to find some watercolor paper
Locally so I can start playing. I do have a hobby lobby
about an hour away, a walmart and an office depot in
town.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I probably wouldn't buy watercolor paper at Walmart or an office supply store or you will be unhappy with the results. Can you tell me which markers or inks you are planning to use and I can help a little more?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Mimi_2_Charlie thank you for all the great info on water colourpaper. I just checked your gallery and was blown away with your beautiful work. I see you have just opened your gallery, I can't wait to see what else you create. I hope you join in a few challenges, where you will meet lots of happy ladies creating lots of gorgeous stuff.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Joining a little late on your art waterpaper discussion. I have used different W/C brands for cards. For watercolored and mixed media cards I love Strathmore Mixed Media 140# paper as it has a smoother surface and is almost white. I use SU Inks and reinkers, TH Distress inks and reinkers and Zig watercolor markers and Golden acrylic paints.. I love Smooshing and saturated backgrounds and works well..at least for me. I find the price reasonable and get the large tablets.

I use the Arches 140# Cold Press if I want more texture, but not as white, which is fine if it gets all covered with inks or paint.lol!

I get my paper at our local art store. We only have Joanne's and Wal-Mart in my small community. Definitely not Wal-Mart. That would be a waste of money.

Happy Stamping girls..Hugs, Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Looks like I will be ordering my paper online.
As far as inks, I have some distress ink and some S.U.
inks and watercolors. And all types of reinkers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 05:26 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by glendakView Post
That sounds great, Glenda. Try it and see how it works for you. You can only change your mind as you work with it all. But I know you will love watercoloring. Can't wait to see what you will do. Hope you will leave a comment here to let us know when you upload something. Hugs!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 05:42 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by glendakView Post
Glenda - It's a good idea to work on the heavier 140# watercolor paper like this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3until you are familiar with how each of your mediums work and then you can go with a lighter medium. I can tell you that Distress Markers (inks) are my absolute favorite medium to watercolor with as they are meant to reactivate when they come in contact with water. I learned how to watercolor cards with them and now have several mediums. Distress Markers work so well that they are a fantastic way to start. If you don't have markers you can smoosh a little ink on your craft mat or an acrilic block and pick up you paint with that. I have several examples of watercolor in the gallery if you'd like to look. Brushes are also important but s90% of the time I am using a waterbrush with a valve in it.

Here's some info I pulled my the internet for you that will help you decide.
Paper weight
One characteristic of all paper, including paper meant for watercolor paintings, is its weight. The manufacturer weighs a ream of 500 sheets of paper in its uncut state and gives it a number to indicate the paper's weight. Weight indicates the quality (and usually the price) of the paper.

Typical weights for watercolor paper are:

90-pound paper is a student grade and is rather thin. It buckles when wet and can't endure much scrubbing for changes.
140-pound paper is probably the most popular choice. It's fairly stout, can be stretched to avoid buckling when wet, dries quickly, and is medium-priced.
300-pound paper is like a board. It doesn't require stretching, costs twice what 140-pound paper costs, and takes longer to dry.
You can judge the other weights available in comparison with these weights.

Each paper weight has its advantages, and the weight you choose depends on what you want to accomplish. Beginners can get a good start with 140-pound cold-press, 100 percent cotton rag, acid-free paper in any brand. (For more on cold press and hot press, see the next section.)

In addition to the various weights of paper, you can use watercolor board, which is paper adhered to illustration board. It doesn't buckle when wet and is available in 20-x-30-inch pieces or by the case.

Touching on texture
Texture describes the surface finish on paper. The type of paper you choose gives you different effects with the paint. You may want a smooth paper for lots of detail or a textured surface to make sparkling reflections on water. You can choose from three main surface textures:

Hot press: This texture is even and smooth and makes a nice surface for prints and drawings. The paper has a slicker finish that you can use to create some interesting results. It's more difficult to make soft transitions when using this paper, so you may have more hard edges than you want.
Cold press: This slightly bumpy texture is the most popular texture for watercolorists. The texture allows paint to settle into the texture pockets or sit on top and skip over the pockets, creating some different painting technique options.

Rough: Rough texture has an even bumpier surface than cold press. This surface is good for exaggerated rough texture techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 05:53 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use this.

I like the 5X7 size. I like using smooth (hot press) paper. All of my coloring methods are water based so I use a lot of watercolor paper for focal images. I also do my distress techniques this paper. I guess it's not super cheap, but I don't like working on cold press paper. Dick Blick has this for $11.93, but I have Amazon Prime so whether I get it from Amazon or DB depends on whether I have enough of an order going at DB to actually make it end up being cheaper.

Last edited by dini; 12-19-2015 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: edited link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #13  

Wow, TFS all your Watercolor paper expertise girls. I do know from experience that the results of watercoloring do depend on your paper choice. You are all making me want to watercolor, but I just Have To finish getting my cards mailed..lol! Hugs to you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancy littrellView Post
Wow, TFS all your Watercolor paper expertise girls. I do know from experience that the results of watercoloring do depend on your paper choice. You are all making me want to watercolor, but I just Have To finish getting my cards mailed..lol! Hugs to you all!
I'm happy to say all of my cards went out last week by Wednesday! I took a class before on Watercolor for Cardmakers and the same group is having another class beginning on January 25 on intermediate watercolor and I'm already signed up! I am definitely going to have to get some Arches or Fabriano paper for this class! And maybe two more brushes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #15  

I sure hope you share your Watercolor beauties with us in your SCS Gallery Vicki. It is soooo much fun sharing my friend.:-) Hugs, Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I sure hope you share your Watercolor beauties with us in your SCS Gallery Vicki. It is soooo much fun sharing my friend.:-) Hugs, Nancy
I have several in the gallery but not my Christmas Card I don't think. Hmmm... better go look for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #17  

I looked at your gallery again and commented on a few watercolored cards. Really hoping you will add a bit more description in your future uploads. I know it takes time, but gets easier as you get the hang of it. In the meantime...keep on posting my friend :-)

Here is the link to the Intermediate watercoloring class. I have never taken their classes, but do get their emails. I am thinking seriously about this class. The preview video was very informative.

Thanks for mentioning the class Vicki.

Watercolor Intermediate Online Class
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I looked at your gallery again and commented on a few watercolored cards. Really hoping you will add a bit more description in your future uploads. I know it takes time, but gets easier as you get the hang of it. In the meantime...keep on posting my friend :-)

Here is the link to the Intermediate watercoloring class. I have never taken their classes, but do get their emails. I am thinking seriously about this class. The preview video was very informative.

Thanks for mentioning the class Vicki.

Watercolor Intermediate Online Class
I have take two previous classes through OCC. The first one I took (Watercolor for Cardmakers-Exploring Mediums) was so fantastic I can't even tell you. The 2nd was a Holiday Card class and I didn't care for it too much. I'm just not into whimsical or cartoonish I guess.

I'm going to have to see what other folks put in their descriptions, but I write a blog, so I have the information there 99% of the time. I was just trying to get a few things in my glaery so folks could see and feel my "style".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I have taken the first watercolor class at OCC - Watercolor for Cardmakers - and would recommend it. As I've said before, the instructors at OCC are great, and while they don't tend to work in my "style" of card making, I am always able to take the techniques I learn and apply them to my own work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #20  

Vicki, I understand about getting your gallery started. You can also add the link to your blog to your description or to your SCS subscription which you can find when you click on the mail (pm) icon at top of all pages.

Robin, TFS your input on the online classes.

Hugs, Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Hi ladies, thanks for all the info about paper and for the class recommendation. I am kicking myself that I didn't sign up for the beginner class. I am looking forward to seeing what you guys create in the intermediate class.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #22  

Hi Susie, I think you can still purchase the beginner class....I think! Off to post a card for several challenges....always fun! Hugs, Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Oh thanks Nancy, I will check it out. I figured the classes were 'live', Santa will be very interested to know what I find out!!! I am off to check out your new uploads....I already know they will be extra special my friend.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 03:11 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Joining a little late on your art waterpaper discussion. I have used different W/C brands for cards. For watercolored and mixed media cards I love Strathmore Mixed Media 140# paper as it has a smoother surface and is almost white. I use SU Inks and reinkers, TH Distress inks and reinkers and Zig watercolor markers and Golden acrylic paints.. I love Smooshing and saturated backgrounds and works well..at least for me. I find the price reasonable and get the large tablets.

I use the Arches 140# Cold Press if I want more texture, but not as white, which is fine if it gets all covered with inks or paint.lol!

I get my paper at our local art store. We only have Joanne's and Wal-Mart in my small community. Definitely not Wal-Mart. That would be a waste of money.

Happy Stamping girls..Hugs, Nancy
I use the Strathmore Mixed Media paper, too and I love it. I usually get mine thru Amazon. It works great with all kinds of mediums. I have used it with Color Burst and water brush plus with the Zig Clean Color Brush Markers. It doesn't buckle either!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 03:16 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Good to know, Debbie. Thanks as I have been wondering how the Strathmore paper is. Since I'm taking the class next month, I went ahead and ordered some Arches and some Fabriano. But I like to know about all of it! *wink*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 04:02 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

All OCC classes are available at any time. They have live ones, but then that class becomes self study. So you can take any class at any time, at your own pace, and you can go back and look at it again forever. (Or as long as OCC is in existence.)

All but one of my classes there were self study. So you can take the first watercolor class. They are a very good bargain, you get a lot for not much money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #27  

Quote:

Vicki, I understand about getting your gallery started. You can also add the link to your blog to your description or to your SCS subscription which you can find when you click on the mail (pm) icon at top of all pages.

Robin, TFS your input on the online classes.

Hugs, Nancy
P.S. can add your blog link to your description and/or your "Signature" ...not your subscription...whoops!

Hugs, Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #28  

Thanks Robin for confirming that you can get the watercolor classes as "self study".
I am loving this thread for such helpful and encouraging information :-) SCS is the Best!

Hugs, Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Thanks Robin for confirming that you can get the watercolor classes as "self study".
I am loving this thread for such helpful and encouraging information :-) SCS is the Best!

Hugs, Nancy
I have the link to my blog in my signature, can you not see it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #30  

Sorry Vicki. I do see your blog link on your signature. I did not scroll down far enough. I do not have a blog so you have to go to my SCS Gallery to see my cards..lol!

Hugs, Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Oh, I thought it was just me!

Oh, now it's fixed. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Robin thanks very much for the class info.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Why is this thread 5 screens wide? It's hard to read this way. lol
Fixed! It was a long link up above that needed a tweak.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Thank you, Dini!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

I didnt want to use my expensive watercolor paper for craft related projects so I got a pad of the canson XL watercolor paper. It works great with the zig clean color brush pens. I found that my Arches hotpress paper absorbed the marker too much. I also find the canson paper fine for washes, heat embossing etc. I would not use this paper for my fantasy artwork. Cheaper watercolor paper tends to tear. Arches really stands up to my abuse =) It really depends on what you plan on using the paper for. Whatever you do, have lots of fun and experiment =) GlendaK , if you would like I can send you a few small samples of the types of papers I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2015, 06:52 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sonia that would be wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing with me.
I did go look up that watercolor class, maybe after the holidays in will see
what I can do.
I haven't had time to really do the paper search, but at least now I know
what I should buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 10:04 PM   #37  

Just throwing in my 2 cents worth ... Nancy Littrell sent me this link. First, you need to use what paper you are comfortable with. Each one will work differently for each person.

That being said, my advice is to use good quality watercolour paper. I'm with SkyBlueSky ... the better the quality, the better chance you have of being happy with the results.

My son is an artist and he told me that the only paper to use is Arches 140 lb. cold press. I have been using it for several years now. I was buying large sheets from an artist supply store, so the price is not too bad. I have now found that Dick Blick has the Arches 140 lb. cold press in pads at a very reasonable price, even better if you wait for a sale.

I have used other watercolour papers and been mostly disappointed, but find they do work with a few techniques. But I find I get more consistent results with better paper. The price is not that much when you think about the size of the A2 cards that most people make.

I have recently experimented with Arches 140 lb. hot press and like the smooth surface. And I'm loving using Strathmore Mixed Media paper --- ink blends so well with little water.
Dirty Dozen
DT Member:CAS Mix Up and CAS Watercolour
Reply With Quote Likes