Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2020, 05:58 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Is Using Stickers Cheating?

I've pondered this question a lot and decided I finally had to pose it to the community.  I have some stickers stashed away in my embellishment box, but I never use them. Why? It feels like I'm cheating if I'm not stamping and coloring an image myself. I have cute stickers that I'd like to use, but I can't get over this feeling. What do you think? Is using a sticker on a card cheating or do I just need to get over this feeling?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I sometimes use stickers on my cards but only on the inside.  If I have a sticker that matches the overall theme of the front of the card, then I use it as an accent inside.

I also use stickers on the outside of envelopes when I mail them.

I shy away from using stickers on the front of any cards I make for swaps - not every swap recipient likes them.

To me, it's not cheating - it's just another way of decorating things.

Hope other folks chime in with what they do! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 07:31 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

When I first started making cards I pondered the same thing, but about using stamps or dies - which are also created by someone else.

When doing kiln-formed glass art, using images or designs from others was a huge no. So it was something I had to get over, and have to a large extent, with some exceptions.

So no, to my mind it is no more cheating than using stamps or dies or other products. While you may not be adding color to the stickers, you are creating your own card design, so you are putting your stamp on it, so to speak. No pun intended. Enjoy!

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 05-14-2020 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: Removed code from the apostrophes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 07:46 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I agree: it is NOT cheating to add embellishments. Dollar Tree has millions of adorable stickers that can even match a stamped or die cut theme. I admit I don't use them a lot, but have used them from time to time, especially butterflies. I also like to try and match a theme on the envelope. Great question for card makers... but as someone already stated, we are still creating our own cards. Some people even say it's okay to scraplift a design, which I sometimes do, with only changing an item or two. Some people are just more creative.. and especially with this COVID-19 issue, we need to just have fun and create to our hearts content ! Happy Crafting !!
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though new to this kind of crafting, I've been ordering a lot of "themed" stuff for my projects. Think a certain design, color, etc. Stickers included. I don't plan to use them a lot, but I hope they will make my project look a little more "finished". I've seen Graphic 45 videos where just 2-3 stickers made all the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I sometimes use stickers for my cards, either as the focal point or as an embellishment. Penny Black has some beautiful sticker sheets and I used them last year for my Christmas cards and some of their floral sticker sheets for birthday cards. I don't think of this as cheating, just another form of card making and I have a stamped sentiment on the inside and sometimes on the card front. I put my stickers onto white card stock to give them extra stability before adding them to the cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Pretty much the only thing I consider "cheating" in this craft any more is directly ripping off someone else's idea and presenting it as your own. Even people who are opposed to stickers should realize that the line between a diecut letter and a letter sticker is practically nonexistent - not much different for flowers, hearts, etc. Using stickers effectively, in my opinion, takes some skill and creativity.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using stickers is just one of the hundreds of tools a card maker/scrapbooker has in their arsenal. I still use stickers and no one has ever said, "ew...what in the world?"

Feel free to create how ever you want. If it makes you happy to do a sticker sneeze, go for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I used to be anti-sticker but then a friend used them for the wording (happy birthday, thank you, merry Christmas, etc). And now I love them! Front of the card. The size of the wording and the font make or break the card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 10:34 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

NO, NO, NO STICKERS ARE NOT CHEATING! Google sticker cards and be prepared for lots of inspiration and awe. Stickers are beautiful. Stickers tell stories in a different way that stamps tell a story. This is a good thing. Every story needs to be unique and beautiful.

Some of my best cards have been cards where the focal point are stickers.

No, it's not cheating. There is only one rule in paper crafting- Rules are to be broken.

I have more stickers than stamps. I collect stickers. I make stickers. Even my rubber stamps are more ephemera to me than a focal point. When I organize my stamps they are on my shelves with stickers.

The only different between a stamp creation to a sticker creation. Sticker the glue has already been added. Stamp you add the glue.

The only exception to this rule is if you are in a swap. Then you should not use stickers if they don't want you to. I was in a swap that I did add stickers to my stamp creation. It was not in the rules that I couldn't. One of the recipients loved my beautiful elegant die cuts.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2020, 04:15 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for all the positive comments. Maybe I just needed some permission to use them. I got it in my head I couldn't use them, but I see I was wrong. I will reevaluate my stickers and find a way to use them. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2020, 06:35 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Cheating on what? A hand-made card is a hand-made card, whether you use stickers, patterned paper, hand-drawn or stamped and colored images, or die cuts. Or anything else that you use to create the card. Don't stress about it. It isn't cheating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I use stickers all the time...because sometimes I don't have exactly the correct stamp. I agree with Scrapjanny..it is NOT cheating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 08:33 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I use stickers often ion grandhildrens' cards. I usually buy ones that I know I will use - like Easter, Valentines etc. Go for it! I also like the sentiment stickers and have several sheets of them in silver, gold and black. I find that many times the sentiment stamps are too big for where I want to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 09:21 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I used to love using stickers; but, some swaps were not allowing them. I am particular where I use them and on what cards. I must say, tho', that I don't personally feel they are cheating. If the stickers are "elegant" looking, in gold or silver, they should be allowed to be used. Sentiments also can look very nice, even in stickers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Default Re: use of stickers.

I have used stickers on birthday cards for kids. I usually include unused stickers inside the card as well for them to use. They seem to be a hit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the past I have used stickers but after awhile I got bored with them and would give them away. Every now and then I stick them to stiff card stock or card board and cut around the image then use them for a 3-D effect on a card. You can also try those spiral thingys (sorry forgot their name) that you can attach them to and make your card even cuter with the sticker bobbing around!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillisView Post
In the past I have used stickers but after awhile I got bored with them and would give them away. Every now and then I stick them to stiff card stock or card board and cut around the image then use them for a 3-D effect on a card. You can also try those spiral thingys (sorry forgot their name) that you can attach them to and make your card even cuter with the sticker bobbing around!
Those spiral thingys... I think you are taking about "wobbles". Love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Nope, just another way to be creative

My sister and I sometimes use a lot of stickers when making cards! They are fun, pretty, and sometimes downright sassy! Some cards are completely stickers, others have a stamped sentiment with sticker embellishments. Personally, it's no different than buying packets of die cuts at the scrapbook store! LOL,
my neice does give us a 'hard' time and will call any card with a sticker a 'cheater' card but we consider it part of the fun. After all, we _are_ creating! Use those stickers! Buy inexpensive ones at the Dollar Tree. Stick them on pre-made card bases. Have fun! And the ones you don't use or like give to the kiddos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Not cheating. I sometimes stamp onto sticker paper and then attach it to my background. What is the difference between stickers you buy or stickers you create. The design on the card is your own creation. Go for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 02:46 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oh no - I think they are fine to use and fun!

I create small gift card enclosure sets (10 3" x 3" cards in a matching box) using puffy stickers because they are so fun to use, and people don't generally make their own enclosures anyway. I usually add a layer of matching patterned paper to put the sticker on too, and an envelope. I just don't stamp "Handstamped" on the back - I stamp "Handmade" :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 03:07 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I don't see the difference between stickers and ephemera....the accessories companies like Graphic 45 make to go with a paper collection. Theirs may be on cardstock/chipboard, but it is still a pre-printed image.

Plus many people use Xyrons to make images into stickers because it is easier to apply them.

Maybe people have this idea that stickers are what little kids use?.... but there are many very sophisticated ones out there now-someone just linked us the other day to some stunning ones....and no way do I think a 5 yr old would want to play with them.

I happen to like Dazzles. Those are stickers...some images, a lot of borders...other companies do similar.

Search Results

You use whatever the heck you want to use on your cards is my attitude.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 10:34 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I have a ton of stickers that I collected years ago but found that I never used them on cards at all. I would use them on the envelope, but otherwise they just gathered dust. More recently, I decided to challenge myself to use stickers on cards and it was hard! I find that it's much easier to stamp from scratch because you can customize your colors to coordinate with the papers. With a sticker, the colors and design are already set and you have to find something in your stash that goes well with it. I've sanded and inked vintage sticker designs to make them look older, and even cut and combined various stickers to make a whole new design.

If you're in a swap, I would ask if stickers are allowed. If you're creating just for yourself or to send to friends and family I would go for it! Same goes for printed journaling cards and die cuts. I collected them, but never used them because it felt like it wasn't handmade by me. Now I'm getting over that and realizing that designing the card doesn't always require "made from scratch". After all, the patterned papers we use aren't made by us, right?

Also, what else will I do with all those piles of pre-made embellishments and stickers that I've hoarded all these years?!!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

The only stickers I use are coordinated with the paper collection, such as Graphic 45. I back with heavier cardstock . Enough layers will turn a flat sticker into a dramatic focal point, similar to chipboard elements. No problem using ready made journaling cards or die cuts...it's still my work that surrounds these elements.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by merollinView Post
The only stickers I use are coordinated with the paper collection, such as Graphic 45. I back with heavier cardstock . Enough layers will turn a flat sticker into a dramatic focal point, similar to chipboard elements. No problem using ready made journaling cards or die cuts...it's still my work that surrounds these elements.
I often alter the journaling cards and die cuts with stamping and layering. It can really make it your own!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

It's no more cheating than using patterned paper instead of making your own backgrounds. I don't use stickers, cos I can't use them without it looking like a 5 year old used them, but I have seen some others use them in amazing ways.

I do think that with anything premade, whether that be stickers, patterned paper, ephemera etc, that it takes a bit to make something that doesn't look as though you've just stuck it there and it doesn't belong. It take creativity to make them work, but that's all the fun of this hobby right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

( I did not read any of your responses) so, this may be redundant but, you bought them to use them right?
( me I have been gifted with a ton over the years because, people know I am "crafty" and they get excited to give me something already half way made lol... but, my hang up with them is they are one use items and if I use them, they are gone. ( which is a cool thing about having a tool like a stamp that you can stamp it again and color it totally different the next go around right?)

so, no I do not think its "cheating" to use them, me I am trying to make my self use mine. ( and its hard) so, I am thinking I may have better luck using them on gift tags maybe.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #28  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeBunnyView Post
Thanks for all the positive comments. Maybe I just needed some permission to use them. I got it in my head I couldn't use them, but I see I was wrong. I will reevaluate my stickers and find a way to use them. Thank you.
Your card your way all the way. But there is one exception that I'd like to chime in with. If you do swaps ask if it's okay because this is where I have run into the no sticker rule. When some participants spend hours stamping, coloring and fussy cutting they frown on someone who they think is not putting in the same time and effort. Have fun and happy creating with your stickers!
Reply With Quote Likes