Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-19-2015, 07:28 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I love BRADS

I am not in love with ( I think) the MISTI I got for my birthday in Feb and I keep saying I will get it out and use it but I havent yet...maybe I dont like it....not sure what the problem there is.
When I come over Dec. 5th, I am going to make you get your MISTI out and USE IT!!! If you still don't love it, I'll buy it from you and April will get a fabulous Christmas present... ;)

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sue you are a hoot...Lets do it...make me use it...I have a brand new Grand Caliber that I can sell you for 50.00 for April if you like.....its just sitting in a closet!

Annette I have 2 atg on my desk because I am lazy...I can go twice as long without loading.....lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #43  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Annette I have 2 atg on my desk because I am lazy...I can go twice as long without loading.....lol!
Sadly, this makes total sense to me. I swear that thing hits empty at the most inconvenient times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ooh what a great idea to have both ATG on the desk. And if I am ever in Vegas again - I am inviting myself over just to see your room Amber ! 💋
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 05:45 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperkidsView Post
Ooh what a great idea to have both ATG on the desk. And if I am ever in Vegas again - I am inviting myself over just to see your room Amber ! 💋
You'll have to tour the house to see it all - seriously... :rolleyes:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default you are slways welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperkidsView Post
You can get a pretty good view on the channel 8 video of me.

Would love to have you come stamp!

😊
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hoot h�ot hoot Sue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #48  
Glitter Queen

I love my MISTI and not on speaking terms with my sewing machine at the moment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

No one has mentioned these yet, but I don't love my zig real brush markers. In fact, I really don't like any of my water-based markers ( I have SU and distress markers). I can never get the shading to look nice and the always pill the paper. In fact, I can't remember the last time I colored with them. Probably time to let them go.

I do love my copic markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #50  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by staceylovespaperView Post
No one has mentioned these yet, but I don't love my zig real brush markers. In fact, I really don't like any of my water-based markers ( I have SU and distress markers). I can never get the shading to look nice and the always pill the paper. In fact, I can't remember the last time I colored with them. Probably time to let them go.

I do love my copic markers.
I don't like them either and I just bought them a few months ago. Everyone raved about them but they seem kind of dry, the colors are not that bright. The only thing I like is they have brush tips. They may go in the garage sale basket. Definitely a waste of $$.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #51  
Glitter Queen

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I don't like them either and I just bought them a few months ago. Everyone raved about them but they seem kind of dry, the colors are not that bright. The only thing I like is they have brush tips. They may go in the garage sale basket. Definitely a waste of $$.
Hey, have you guys tried them on smooth Bristol watercolor paper? I have the inexpensive Strathmore paper and they blend for me. I am NOT a painter so that is saying something. I have not used them a great deal though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #52  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebeccadesignView Post
Hey, have you guys tried them on smooth Bristol watercolor paper? I have the inexpensive Strathmore paper and they blend for me. I am NOT a painter so that is saying something. I have not used them a great deal though.
I have and nope, don't like them but I glad they work for what you need. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #53  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. I like and respect my MISTI, but I find it cumbersome to haul out for every single stamp, and switch out the pad for clear vs cling and chase down the magnets. But there's nothing else that can do what it does as well as it does, which is get a perfect image of a difficult stamp, or a perfect image of a stamp on a paper with some texture. So I use it when I need what it does, and use my blocks the rest of the time, and I consider it was well worth getting.

2. It could be said that I have not fully exploited my Perfect Layers since I don't use it for most of the mat sizes it can do. BUT, to me it was worth the $$$, just for the ability to do a perfect 1/16 inch mat around something. That's how much I love the look of that very skinny border, and it's a major aggravation to get it any other way.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-23-2015 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

1. I hated the Perfect Layers, never could get it to work right and sold it to a friend who hated it too after using it. Another friend had recommended it to both of us and she loved it but the 2 of us hated it!

2. I really like Stickles, just have to plan ahead to let them dry. All my Christmas cards have Stickles on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

Love this thread and all the supplies that I haven't thought about.

Dislike:
loose glitter (I love the Stickles, I make dots so they look like rhinestones), sequins, and all those fad things I purchased because it was supposed to be fun and cool: like burlap, mica chips, and sequins).

Love:
I can't live without my Fiskars cutter, chalk ink for distressing, ribbon, and prima flowers with brads. Those are probably the things I reach for every single time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 06:20 AM   #56  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

1 -- Which tool(s) or product(s) do lots of people love but you despise?
Gosh, where to start...

a. I have total buyer's regret for purchasing the Silhouette Cameo. I've tried to use it and have tried to like it but I still hate it. I was excited to get it after seeing so many cool things made with the Silhouette but everything I have done on looks like a piece of crap.

b. Tags. I've seen so many lovely ones but whenever I make them they look hideous.

c. The sticky picker upper tool - Does NOT work! If it did, I'd totally use it - I do like it but it just doesn't work. Any hints?? I can see the putty like stuff in the tip but I can't get it to come out. I've twisted the cap, poked it, etc. Waste of $$

d. Fancy, frilly die cuts and fancy corner punches.

e. Washi Tape - I do have a couple of rolls but rarely use it.

f. Gelatos - Don't necessarily despise them - just don't get as good a result as others I've seen. Maybe I just need more practice with them.

2 -- Which tool(s) or product(s) do some people dislike but you love?

a. Copics - I've always loved coloring and like the results from Copic coloring.

b. Stencils - never was a big fan until I got involved with mixed media - now I love the look, all the patterns, etc.

c. Fiskar's paper trimmer - I've tried others but like this one best

Instagram: @jacqueline_worksforstamps
Blog: Works For Stamps

Come join the TEAparty every Tuesday! Click here for details.

"Stamping is an addiction & therapy rolled into one"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #57  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelineView Post

c. The sticky picker upper tool - Does NOT work! If it did, I'd totally use it - I do like it but it just doesn't work. Any hints?? I can see the putty like stuff in the tip but I can't get it to come out. I've twisted the cap, poked it, etc. Waste of $$
I use a white crayon for rhinestones (warm it between your hands) and tweezers for flat embellishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jacqueline, I have not had good results with my gelatos either. My projects always look like a kid scribbled with a melted crayon. I've tried it on plain paper and over gesso, still childish results. I also have trouble with my colors. I quickly learned that green and yellow make brown. I think I found a couple other ways to make brown but can't remember which of those combinations to avoid.

Fiskars cutter. I LOVE my Fiskars rotary cutter! Love, love, love it! It's been quite a workhorse over the years.
I bought a Cutterpillar a few months ago and, after a bumpy start, really, really like it for cutting pieces larger than 4.25 inches (where the paper would extend onto the swing arm of the Fiskars), but still find myself reaching for my little Fiskars for smaller cuts.

And Copics. How did I ever live without my Copics? It is the ONLY medium that gives me decent coloring results. Huge investment for a poor gal like me, but well worth every nickel spent!

Last edited by melissa59; 12-15-2015 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #59  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelineView Post
Gosh, where to start...

a. I have total buyer's regret for purchasing the Silhouette Cameo. I've tried to use it and have tried to like it but I still hate it. I was excited to get it after seeing so many cool things made with the Silhouette but everything I have done on looks like a piece of crap.
I didn't like the Silhouette either until I started learning advanced functions, picking up free digi stuff off the internet and dropping it onto the Silhouette mat and playing with it. I love the software now. There are so many things I can create for free because of that machine - but it required me to become more computer savvy and vector knowledgeable. It's not an easy, no effort tool like a die and the Big Shot.

In all honesty, it took me not having the $100-$200 to spend on dies and stamps every month to look at my Silhouette and wonder "What could that $300 paper weight do?" There is a lot of potential in that machine, but there is a learning curve to it. Just learning the blade setting for the different types of paper you have is half the battle.:rolleyes:

Start going through YouTube tutorials and Silhouette School - it's a free education. As they do step by step, open your Silhouette and do it along with them. Your mind will start to see the possibilities the more lessons you do on it.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #60  
Glitter Queen

For me I hate the ATG while so many other scrappers seem to adore it. I have small hands and short fingers. It is huge and just doesn't work for me. I much prefer Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L because their holder fits perfectly in my hand.

I love my Perfect Layers set and have had it for many, many years since QVC first sold it. I've never had a problem using mine and cut my mats on a glass mat which makes it cut much more smoothly.

Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

Jacqueline. May I suggest you get the grafts clear sheets and try cutting stencils for your mixed media with the the silhouette. . ? After I got my machine - I was able to make several stencils with my sil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #62  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I hate my Quickstik tool. I could never get it to work properly as the green stuff would ooze out like a hyperactive tube of toothpaste! And now, the green stuff won't come out at all - so it's useless. I had this idea of microwaving it a little to soften it up - nope, did nothing. I tried to dig out some of the green stuff with a scalpel in case the tip was just hard - nope, did nothing....sigh :(

I LOVE my Perfect Layers Tools and use it for every card. I love that I can get a perfect 1/16" border around my card if I want. I couldn't cut a straight line to save myself before I got these tools. And I have to add that my MISTI tool has been worth every penny that I saved to buy it. I never get smudged or blurred images anymore and it has been awesome for stamping the inside of my cards which was always a bugbear for me: no more crooked, upside down or mis-stamped sentiments.

Last edited by JoBear2; 12-31-2015 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: Added a few more lines!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2016, 10:20 PM   #63  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I think the wood veneer is an upscale version of the chipboard embellishments that have been all the rage in scrapbooking for years. I have a few sets of the chipboard (thick cardboard) alphabets and shapes but I never could get them painted where they looked nice enough for my scrapbook pages.
Try heat embossing them. You can make them any color/style you want with pigment ink and embossing powder. You can build up layers and make them thicker too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 04:21 AM   #64  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I think the wood veneer is an upscale version of the chipboard embellishments that have been all the rage in scrapbooking for years. I have a few sets of the chipboard (thick cardboard) alphabets and shapes but I never could get them painted where they looked nice enough for my scrapbook pages.
I apply a primer coat of white paint to chipboard embellishments before I add the color I want. The white allow the true color to show instead of the muted dull of the chipboard.

Also consider covering with paper and several of the mixed media products will also give a great effect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #65  
Glitter Guru

I am loving this thread. I have been out of stamping for a few years & it's interesting reading this to see what's out there that wasn't before, & what's still around. Who loves & hates what. I have absolutely no idea what a Misti is. I came here because I need a new cutter, & a new die cut/ embosser thingy (my Cuttle bug is dying a slow death).

I have been going through my stash & getting rid of what I will never ever use. I forgot about eyelets. Those need to go. Papers that I bought when I first started making cards ... what was I thinking with some of those?? I love clear Stickles (Stardust is my favorite) but hate the colored, those will also need to leave. Heck, they're probably dried up by now anyway hahaa!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

For those frustrated with the Quickstick tool (or similar): a tiny blob of beeswax on the end of a toothpick works perfectly! I bought a little container of beeswax dots at a stamping convention over a decade ago, but you can get beeswax a lot of different places. The notions department of a sewing/quilting store has beeswax to use with sewing thread to keep it from getting tangled and you could pinch off a tiny amount from that, a beeswax candle wouldn't miss a minute portion, etc...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #67  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Sue, I'll bet I bought the same thing - mine came from Outline Rubber Stamps, but I couldn't get them to work for me! I warmed the dots with my fingers before forming around the end of the toothpick; I'm not sure what I did wrong, and think I still have them. Any pointers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2016, 05:46 AM   #68  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I love my Fiskars cutter, Tim Holtz scissors and ruler.

I'd like to love glitter, but I just make a mess of it and have to live with the bits all over everything for months. Not keen on rub-ons either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2016, 06:11 AM   #69  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
I love my Fiskars cutter, Tim Holtz scissors and ruler.

I'd like to love glitter, but I just make a mess of it and have to live with the bits all over everything for months. Not keen on rub-ons either.
I just bought the Tim Holtz ruler and agree with you. Love this thing. The metal strip on the side allows me to use my craft knife against it. On one side is the ruler, on the other side is the center measuring guide, and it has a nice grid showing 1/4". Good tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Sue, I'll bet I bought the same thing - mine came from Outline Rubber Stamps, but I couldn't get them to work for me! I warmed the dots with my fingers before forming around the end of the toothpick; I'm not sure what I did wrong, and think I still have them. Any pointers?
When it's warm, roll it around and around in your fingers in a little ball and it gets kind of tacky - that's when it works. I think mine were from Outline Rubber Stamps, too, now that you mention it! I've been using the same little blob for quite some time - I just pull it off the toothpick, roll it around again, and stick it back on...

Reply With Quote Likes