Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiny paper "threads" left on diecut cardstock

I used Memory Box "Winter Joy" die for 70 Christmas cards which are almost ready to mail. The only problem that I've had is that many of these die cut pieces had tiny paper "threads" which had to be tweezed out of the many curls and swirls. All were still attached at one place or just needed to be separated from the good die cut. Is there any remedy, any thing that can be used to catch these tiny bits before removing the die cut from the die and having to manually remove it all? It shows up against a darker background with these tiny bits looking like shadows or threads sticking out. These aren't the little pieces that need to be popped out but extra paper.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

If I understand what you are describing, I know that I get them when I run the die back and forth through the machine rather than making just one pass. If you did that too, I would suggest trying to just run it through one direction. Probably not helpful if you are all done cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by madameplushbottomView Post
If I understand what you are describing, I know that I get them when I run the die back and forth through the machine rather than making just one pass. If you did that too, I would suggest trying to just run it through one direction. Probably not helpful if you are all done cutting.
That is when I get these paper threads, too! I've noticed that this is more likely to occur when I do the back-and-forth two or three times, rather than just once.

And I think that the a curved, really marked up cutting plate also makes this thread-effect more likely to happen. I observed yesterday that the curved cutting plate sort of bounced a bit as it exited the pressure bar of my Cuttlebug, so when I ran it back through the die had moved the very tiniest bit on the cardstock it was cutting through. Thinking back on it, I never have these paper threads appear when I am using a new-ish plate that is neither curved/cupped or worn with cutting marks. Just an observation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Though I am done with this year's Christmas cards the suggestions you have given can be applied to all cards and projects I do in the future. Yes! I DID run the die cut back and forth twice. I can't wait to try it with one pass now to see the difference. The cutting plate will also be something I will keep in mind if this happens again. Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I can get tiny threads on just one pass especially on the intricate dies. I keep a clean stipple brush with my tools that I use to brush off eraser parts after erasing thin pencil lines, run away embossing powder, extra chalk, and now I use it to brush off the thin threads from die cutting. Just be careful not to bend the die cut but it works well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those tiny threads/hairs 'bug' me also. Some people suggest using a lint roller with the sticky sheets to get them up and off the die cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile pesky die cuts

Quote:

Originally Posted by noram66View Post
I used Memory Box "Winter Joy" die for 70 Christmas cards which are almost ready to mail. The only problem that I've had is that many of these die cut pieces had tiny paper "threads" which had to be tweezed out of the many curls and swirls. All were still attached at one place or just needed to be separated from the good die cut. Is there any remedy, any thing that can be used to catch these tiny bits before removing the die cut from the die and having to manually remove it all? It shows up against a darker background with these tiny bits looking like shadows or threads sticking out. These aren't the little pieces that need to be popped out but extra paper.
I found that when I am cutting a really intricate die when I cut the first image I leave it in the die and keep cutting over it. This seems to release the others more easily.
My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Those tiny hairy things are the bane of my life! LOL I figured it was because I use a metal cutting plate instead of my 'B' plates. The best thing that works for me is to leave the die-cut in the die and use a small bristle brush (like the stipple brush only a bit smaller and rounder at the tip) and make small, light, circular strokes on the cut side of the die. This works pretty well and if there are any threads left after you glue it down repeat the process using the brush along the edges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

I use a piece of waxed paper between the die and the card I am cutting ... it works great with the thinner dies and the card will pop right out along with any little bits and I get less thready bits sticking in the little curves etc of an intricate die. I think the kind of paper you use sometimes makes a difference as well. The cheaper card has larger fibers and that makes them harder to get a clean cut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

you could also try rubbing a stiff brush over the diecut whilst it is on the desk or use your fingernail.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Sometimes you have to make more than one pass...I keep a clean, stiff, stencil brush and dust off my die cuts as needed...Quick, easy and works!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I find the metal adapter plates really help to get a good clean cut. I think I got mine from My Favorite Things here but there are a lot of retailers that sell them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Someone on another group I belong to said that she uses a piece of non-stick foil (like Reynolds "Slide") between the cardstock and the die and it cuts intricate dies beautifully. Worth a try.

Janet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I've not tried it yet but someone suggested using an adhesive eraser and running it over the die cut BEFORE removing it from the die! Makes sense to me!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
That is when I get these paper threads, too! I've noticed that this is more likely to occur when I do the back-and-forth two or three times, rather than just once.

And I think that the a curved, really marked up cutting plate also makes this thread-effect more likely to happen. I observed yesterday that the curved cutting plate sort of bounced a bit as it exited the pressure bar of my Cuttlebug, so when I ran it back through the die had moved the very tiniest bit on the cardstock it was cutting through. Thinking back on it, I never have these paper threads appear when I am using a new-ish plate that is neither curved/cupped or worn with cutting marks. Just an observation.
This is how it happens here for me as well. Whenever I'm using a heavily cut plate, I find myself picking & brushing those little fiber-like leavings regularly. When I do switch to newer plates these fiber-like bits are history. I guess I 'need' this little evidence to tell me to get a new plate i there! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes