Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU vs. PTI

Okay, so I know that this has been asked a tremendous amount of time, but I guess I just needed to know.

I use Stampin Up (never really used anything else for making cards) and am in the process of unmounting my stamps (space/organization issue) and have started looking at PTI's stamps. I am also curious about their paper. I love all the colors and the ribbon (especially the polka dot)! I am just wondering if it would be too much to have SU paper and PTI paper/ribbon?

I have looked at comparions of the paper colors (on Nichole's webpage) and it looks like some are very close to one another but the others seem to compliment one another. Can you use them both on a card with PTI ribbon with different stamps or the Cricut?

TIA
Corrie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I have both SU and PTI....everything SU sells, a lot of what PTI sells. I use it all. My hopes are for PTI to replace SU in my world. I'm waiting for PTI to introduce more colors...they add to their list each month. I like the quality of PTI paper better than SU. PTI's brown is much prettier than SU's Chocolate Chip. Also the whites - I will never again by SU Whispering White. I've started buying Georgia Pacific's white at Walmart when I want to run it through the printer. I use PTI's white when I use it as a card base.

Currently PTI doesn't offer enough color to use them exclusively. Many of the colors from the two companies blend together beautifully. None of the colors are identical.

good luck! enjoy!

kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I've started collecting various CS from PTI -- the 2008 assorted pack is great to get a feel for all their colors (IRL). I like I can purchase just 12 sheets of CS for a particular project. What I also like about PTI is that I can get choices of ribbons (most come in 5 different types) and the price is reasonable at $3 for 5 yards. SU does not always offer the ribbons in the colors I want to match the CS and I don't always need 10 or 15 yards of a particular color. SU just does not have the ribbon options I want. I have my PTI favorite colors and they are different than those offered by SU. Don't get me wrong, I like SU colors too. I like PTI white CS and I also enjoy using the SU WW.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I have all the SU colors in paper and ink. As I use these up I am hoping to replace them with similar PTI colors. The main reason I want to do this is because PTI has several types of matching ribbon for each color which I really like. If PTI doesn't have something pretty close I will stick with SU. I also have the SU pens and find that I can usually make an SU color work with PTI colors.
Ang
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started out with SU and have all but the last group of colors they offer - I have the paper, ink pad, and markers if available. I them found out about PTI and FELL IN LOVE!! I agree that Nichole doesn't have as many colors as SU at this time, but she adds colors most months and the colors are so rich and beautiful. Once you use PTI paper, you will be hooked. Like klhbenson does, I also use Georgia Pacific's white from Walmart and use PTI's white for my card base. Your cards have such a feel of richness and professionalism to them. Another reason I started going with PTI is the stamps themselves. I feel that SU hasn't brought forward anything really new and exciting and PTI offers such different ideas. I look forward to PTI's reveal every month. Give PTI a try, you won't be sorry, I promise. Have fun!! (Be sure and check out the PTI design team blogs----WOW, can't wait for each morning to see what they have to share)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I also use both. I buy the CS and ribbon. I like the thickness of PTI but I like the SU! ink better. So I will continue to buy the PTI CS and ribbon and use the SU! ink as it matches close enough. I will buy SU! CS if PTI does not have a color I need. To me they are interchangable...AS far as PTI white I won't use anything else with my Copics! It far surpasses GP, Neenah or anything else I have tried. It is so very white and copics go on like a dream!! I did just place an order for Gina K's Pure luxury 120lb white for no layer cards with copics as they say they won't bleed through on the PL CS, I will let you know. I urge everyone who uses something other than PTI white with copics to try a small pack! HTH!

Last edited by stigmom6; 01-10-2010 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have both and use both, although as Papertrey releases colors that are similar to a SU! color, I will replace it with the PTI color. For instance, I no longer buy Chocolate Chip or Real Red paper, I instead use PTI's Dark Chocolate and Pure Poppy. I love that PTI's ribbon comes in every color in every type of ribbon and that it is a smaller spool. Makes it so I can buy a lot more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since finding PTI, I haven't touched SU cardstock in a LONG time. For me, there are plenty of colors for the cards I make. I love you have a choice of the size package you want, when they have a release I usually buy a 12 pack and if I find I am using a particular color a lot I will buy the bigger size pack. Like others have mentioned, I love that you can purchase the type of ribbon you prefer in all of the colors! They are now releasing new colors every other month, this month being one of them!!
I also would like to give a shout out to Gina K's cardstock, I LOVE hers as well!! Especially the white, I have both!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I am so happy I discovered PTI this year. The coordinating colors of paper, ribbons, inks, and buttons are amazing. The quality of the paper is superb. I am one very happy PTI customer. Can't say enough about their products and service. Highly recommend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

I don't see where anyone mentioned that you get a better deal on the PTI paper as well. I can get the 50 sheet pack for less than 48 sheets from SU, and as already mentioned, the quality is better.PLUS, shipping and taxes are not charged if you order a certain amount. I'm finding some great substitutes for the colors that I loved that SU took away becuase it was an "IN" color that is now out. PLEASE, I still loved it and wanted it, so I found some similar ones at PTI!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #11  

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I use PTI almost exclusively except for the colors they don't have, obviously To me, they are just better in every way *insert happy sigh*
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

You can have SU paper and PTI paper too. I use both on projects. Both papers also work with the Cricut. The PTI paper is thicker. I would buy the 2008 color pack and see how you like working with the PTI paper. If you like it, use it along with your SU paper. I would also try out the PTI stamps. They are excellent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

SU's collection is larger, comes also in 12 x 12 (good for die cuts, etc) and textured. On the other hand, PTI's stuff rocks.

buy what you like from each. For example, I love most of PTI's colors but don't like the lemon tart at all -- greatly prefer the yellows from SU (summer sun and banana). So it is just a preference.

I will only buy Gina K white paper. IT ROCKS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #14  

I like them both for different reasons.

The PTI is thicker, and in my opinion, the neutrals (white, cream, etc) are wonderful. I would never use an SU neutral.

On the other hand, SU has a lot more colors to choose from. I do enjoy their In Colors. I love soft suede and bermuda bay.

I think PTI could have a better upper hand in the market if they released some new colors. Their ribbon is awesome, and I do like that you can get many types of ribbon all in the matching colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I have all the colors from both SU and PTI, and use both. I will, however, probably never buy white or cream cardstock from SU again - PTI's is vastly superior. More and more of my monthly crafting $ is going to PTI, even with SU just announcing their clear mount option. My order during Sale-a-Bration will pretty much empty my SU wishlist, but the PTI wishlist gets longer every month!

Another plus for PTI - the samples by the very talented design team. I just know every month from the 10th through the 14th during sneak peaks I'll spend lots of time just staring at the samples, trying to take it all in.

As far as cost goes, PTI's cardstock options are cheaper, and they offer more choice in matching ribbons. Since I live in OH, I do have to pay sales tax, but have never paid shipping. That's a huge difference, since SU charges 10%.

Nichole, her business partners and design team seem to have a good grasp on how to anticipate a customer's desires, or to use luscious samples to make a customer buy something they didn't even know they needed! An internet-only company can probably change direction for new products and trends much easier, since SU has all the warehousing, demonstrators and catalog issues involved with any quick changes.

All that being said, just yesterday my first order from Gina K Designs arrived, and she does have some lovely cardstock. I got 6 really cute stamp sets, too, but will absolutely hate cutting out the images.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes, I like that PTI comes in every ribbon color...when I really wanted to start adding to my ribbon and really searched SU's ribbon, I was surprised that they really didn't have that many options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I like both PTI and SU!. I prefer PTI when I am making cards because the cardstock is heavier than SU!. PTI white is great for card bases and coloring. In addition, their ribbon is simply gorgeous!! On the other hand, I mostly use SU! when I scrapbook because of the larger selection of colors, availability in 12x12 size (PTI only carries 81/2x11), and it cuts easier on the Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Red face

Stupid Question Alert!!!

What is PTI?

Sometimes the unexpected can turn into life's biggest joys...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Ha! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only newbie here! Papertrey Ink. Very nice stuff! But the shipping is pretty high for us living in Canada!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

PapertreyInc

Check out this site -- some really yummy stuff.

http://www.papertreyink.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

For anyone reading this in Canada, the shipping for PTI products is VERY expensive, so you should try to combine orders with a friend. I love PTI products, and their paper is awesome, but I don't really order from them anymore unless I have a lot of money saved up and place a really large order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

I agree with Pollybear on shipping times. SU is at least a 2 week wait. PTI I can have in a few days. Love their colors too. The ribbon is gorgeous. I will say though, I haven't found an ink that I like better than SU. Always gives great coverage and clarity. Maybe it's the pad itself, but I am beginning to collect all the SU inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #23  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by phonetecgirlView Post
I agree with Pollybear on shipping times. SU is at least a 2 week wait. PTI I can have in a few days. Love their colors too. The ribbon is gorgeous. I will say though, I haven't found an ink that I like better than SU. Always gives great coverage and clarity. Maybe it's the pad itself, but I am beginning to collect all the SU inks.
must depend on where you live...I never get a pti order in less than a full week, usually it takes about 10 days or so-

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by phonetecgirlView Post

My Stampin' Up! order generally arrives in 5 business days or less. The only time it's taken longer is when an item has been on back order. I wonder why the shipping times vary so much?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have both and love both
But I do use PTI more
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am in the process of changing my SU cardstock to PTI.
It is thicker and the colors are so yummy and rich! They do have matching ribbon and the cost is cheaper than SU.
SU does have more colors right now but PTI is adding colors all the time.
Ginak has alot of yummy colors also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 04:03 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow.. it would be nice to have both. I love both of their stuff. PTI is great for thicker cardstock and different colors... buttons I love their buttons and love ribbon (but I would perfer larger spools like SU offers). SU I love the Whisper White cardstock I like how the image takes to the paper. It would be nice to have a thicker version of this as a base. I also most of the time do not mind the thickness of SU cardstock when I am doing a card with several layers. I love that SU has sooo many colors and a lot of matching items. Get what you like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Silly question? Why do you want thicker card stock? I love multiple layers and love SU card stock especially for this purpose. Also, it will go through my printer where thicker card stock doesn't. For me the Georgia Pacific doesn't have the smooth quality that WW has. I use my SU ribbon for so many things I love having a large spool so I don't run out in the middle of a project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am another who has the complete lines of both SU and PTI papers...I love it all.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

i like a thick cardstock for the base of the card. SU's whisper white is a lighter weight of paper than their colors, so imo, it's not a very good base. same with the vanilla. i just got a packet of Gina K's 120 lb white, and it's very heavy! i'm going to like that for the bases, although, it was expensive. with shipping almost 12.00 for 25 sheets of paper.

i've also tried the georgia pacific paper from walmart, but i'm thinking i must not have bought the same thing that's discussed here, because what i got sucketh. it's not heavy, it's not a bright white, it's basically crap......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I love the PTI for my cardbases, I use SU for layering as it matches closely with PTI and I use GinaK for stamping images because I find that it is the best for using with Copic's. I do agree with Merveilleuse about the cost of shipping for PTI, but I have just recently found a friend that has a US postal box so I can have it shipped there and just make a quick trip across the border to pick it up, the amount that I save on shipping will more than pay for the price of gas there and back. Lets face it, no matter what brand of cardstock or ribbon we buy this hobby can be expensive, but I think that it is well worth the price, considering I would be paying more to a shrink each month than I spend on my hobby LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with almost everything that has been said here already. However, I can say that I was very disappointed with the SU whisper white and very vanilla. I ordered it just before I placed my first orders with PTI & Gina K. I only orderd the sample pack, kraft and dk. choc from PTI so I don't know what their white is like...yet. I ordered the holiday sample pack, the choc. kiss and In the Navy from Gina K. Her sample pack included some white and ivory which I was very impressed with, but I'd still like to try the PTI. I can say that I personally prefer PTI's dk. choc over Gina K's choc. kiss because Gina K's is too dark to suit me. In the Navy is great, but I can't compare it to PTI's Enchanted Evening because I didn't order that. It looked kinda teal on my monitor. With all that said, Gina K. has a new Romance sample pack that I'd like to order and I'll definately be ordering the 2009 sample pack from PTI as soon as it's available next month!

I want to buy everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

I have one stamp set, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy clear stamps as much as rubber. However, I love the cardstock and the ribbon. Not such a fan of the ink.

Nichole Heady has done a great job making PTI competitive with the larger companies such SU, TAC, etc. She is amazingly creative and has shown incredible savvy by aligning PTI with such talented artists. I rarely buy from her as I am a SU demo but I stalk her blog every month.

If she ever decided to market her products in a home-party format with consultants, I would be kind of tempted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also have both. Love them both. YUMMY.

I love cardstock and consider myself to be a total cardstock snob.

I'm only interested in SU, PTI and Gina K.

The Gina K is the BEST white cardstock EVER. She has a layering weight that takes copics and colored pencils fantasticly, is cheaper and thinner than her heavy base weight. Her heavy base weight you can actually color with copics and it doesn't bleed though. Even with layer after layer of coloring. LOVE IT! It also makes a REALLY fantastic white base to any card.

The Papertrey cardstock seems smoother to me. Also because the colors are new they seem more exciting to me. But it could be because I've been using the SU colors for so long you know?

They all rock. I don't order EVERY Gina K and PTI color that comes out. I kinda know what I"m going to use...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 07:35 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawz94View Post
I agree with almost everything that has been said here already. However, I can say that I was very disappointed with the SU whisper white and very vanilla. I ordered it just before I placed my first orders with PTI & Gina K. I only orderd the sample pack, kraft and dk. choc from PTI so I don't know what their white is like...yet. I ordered the holiday sample pack, the choc. kiss and In the Navy from Gina K. Her sample pack included some white and ivory which I was very impressed with, but I'd still like to try the PTI. I can say that I personally prefer PTI's dk. choc over Gina K's choc. kiss because Gina K's is too dark to suit me. In the Navy is great, but I can't compare it to PTI's Enchanted Evening because I didn't order that. It looked kinda teal on my monitor. With all that said, Gina K. has a new Romance sample pack that I'd like to order and I'll definately be ordering the 2009 sample pack from PTI as soon as it's available next month!
I myself bought 1 pack of each and will never waste my money on these 2 colors again by SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Same here..PTI usually takes about a week and a half to get to me in south Fl.
SU takes about 2 weeks from order to my door.

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
must depend on where you live...I never get a pti order in less than a full week, usually it takes about 10 days or so-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #37  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoLeeView Post
i like a thick cardstock for the base of the card. SU's whisper white is a lighter weight of paper than their colors, so imo, it's not a very good base. same with the vanilla. i just got a packet of Gina K's 120 lb white, and it's very heavy! i'm going to like that for the bases, although, it was expensive. with shipping almost 12.00 for 25 sheets of paper.

i've also tried the georgia pacific paper from walmart, but i'm thinking i must not have bought the same thing that's discussed here, because what i got sucketh. it's not heavy, it's not a bright white, it's basically crap......

If you are in Idaho it should not have been that much for shipping. All orders under $50.00 in the USA ship for a flat fee of $4.95 and if over $50.00, it's free no matter how heavy it is.

For Canada, orders have an addition $5.95 surcharge for under $50.00 and for over $50.00 it's a flat $5.95, even if you order 20 lbs of merchandise. We've paid $40.00 for an order going to Canada and we only charge the customer $5.95.

If you were overcharged for shipping, contact customer service for a refund for the difference.: [email protected]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

PTI for Brits isnt worth it. The shipping costs are astronomical then we get hammered with import duty plus a $20 handling fee by their carriers. I'd love to see GinaK or PTI come to an arrangement with one of the good uk shops..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love the weight of PTI paper for card bases because I do like lots of layers and it stand up to those. However, I'm a HUGE fan of 6x6 cards (almost exclusively), so until PTI starts carrying 12x12, I'll stick with SU for most things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Stupid Question Alert!!!

What is PTI?

Sometimes the unexpected can turn into life's biggest joys...

My SU Website
My BLOG

There are no stupid questions here, Felie68!! We are all learning from each other. That's why I love this place.
Reply With Quote Likes