Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stamp cleaner that cleans

Right now i have the judikin stamp cleaner and I'm unhappy with it, especially when i use embossing or pigment inks. i feel like some of the product stays on the stamps even after i've rubbed & scrubbed. what regular cleaner really cleans stamps? thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

This one works well for pigment inks (I hear you on the residue): Hero Arts ULTRA CLEAN Stamp Cleaner nk202 at Simon Says STAMP!

I stamp off as much as I can, then use a microfiber cloth (Zwipes) with UltraClean to get it pretty again...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,728 Likes on 1,849 Posts

I finally made my own using a recipe I found here at SCS. I can't locate it now to link it for you. It uses a gentle soap, glycerin, and distilled water. You can add essential oil in a fragrance of your choice.

Prior to making my own, I have used Hero Arts and Gina K Designs. They are the same color, same odor, work the same, so must be from the sale manufacturer.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,728 Likes on 1,849 Posts

I found a thread with the recipe I used: Recipe for Stamp Cleaner - Splitcoaststampers

I use it in a container with an old wash cloth, that I pour the cleaner on. Scrub my stamp, then press the stamp on a microfiber cloth to make sure it is clean and dry. It works well for those hard to get out stains. Most of the time I use an Absorber, but sometimes they need more help.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I will use a little bit of DAWN extra-strength and Murphy's oil soap each in separate spray bottles. They get the job done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I use either dawn or Suave coconut oil shampoo (recommended here long ago and works great!) with a toothbrush...that's on the stubborn craft ink/versamark ink.

As for dye ink, I try to take them to the sink right away and run them under water. That's usually all they need. If I have waited a long time or the ink is stubborn I use my other method above.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 02:21 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

This came from Tim Holtz himself- Hand Sanitiser! I've used it and it shifts anything, even Staz-on. Just make sure to wash your stamps after, to remove any residue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I've always used the Stampin Up scrubber along with the Stamping Mist........sometimes I wipe the stamps with a baby wipe first. I clean them as soon as I am finished with them and most of my stamps still look new. The Stamping Mist also conditions them......although I must confess they changed the scent of it a few years ago and I don't care for it much at all. I use a baby wipe and then water on my photopolymer stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
This one works well for pigment inks (I hear you on the residue): Hero Arts ULTRA CLEAN Stamp Cleaner nk202 at Simon Says STAMP!

I stamp off as much as I can, then use a microfiber cloth (Zwipes) with UltraClean to get it pretty again...

100% ditto. Both.

BTW, Hero Arts Ultra Clean is made by Stewart. So buying the larger Stewart bottles (without the sprayer) works well as a refill if found at a good price. I last bought it on Amazon but now it’s only offered by one seller and is absurdly expensive. Several other stores no longer carry it.

And not all Zwipes are identical. I bought larger ones for the kitchen and they were thin and cheap so were returned. These are the ones I get - note the 24 pack is only $2 more than the 12:

Amazon.com: Zwipes 735 Microfiber Towel Cleaning Cloths, 12-Pack: Automotive

I use them for my hands too. They get very stained but nothing comes off, and are tossed in the washing machine eventually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2019, 03:21 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I make my own cleaner with Suave shampoo, glycerin and water. I love it. Plus it smells so good. Right now I am using Waterfall Shampoo.

For really tough stains I do have StazOn. I used rubbing alcohol for the longest time. I know every time I write that a stamper has fainted, lol. I always washed them very well afterward and gave them a good coating of glycerin. Shaz- love the tip about hand sanitizer. I buy a lot of used stamps. Some of them have been inked to oblivion. I use StazOn mainly to clean up stamps I buy used. I have a toolbox full of cleaning tools for all my adopted things I bring home.

I also use a Shammy. I am not fancy. I just buy my Shammy's from Dollar Tree. They last forever, for me. I just usually add water to my shammy for light stamping projects. If I am doing a lot of stamping then I add some of my homemade cleaner. That combo works so good. IMO it can be better than the StazOn cleaner.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

;">lylacfey What are the measurements for your cleaner?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I use a stamp scrubber (just one I got at Michaels Crafts years ago) that I spray with plain water or a mix of water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid. For the unmounted stamps that I use on my Misti, I use a shammy that I keep dampened with plain water in a covered container on my crafting table. The shammy works better than I ever imagined, even with plain water. For pigment ink though, I usually need extra help to get ink out of the nooks and crannies (especially on deep etched rubber). In that case, I pull out my old toothbrush and clean at the sink with a drop of liquid soap.
I've been cleaning my stamps this way for about 15 years and they're all still just fine. The only stamps that got damaged were ones that I used with metallic pigment ink, and neglected to clean right away, argh. Those got hard and shiny, and I had to toss them.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I used diluted simple green day to day. If it is tough I move to stazon or ultra clean. But since I usually wipe off pretty fast it is fine. Stazon has often been my go to for used stamps from ebay too. 

Now I want to try the hand sanitizer! 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2020, 01:47 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Any dish soap.  And an old toothbrush.  Price: Pennies.  Have been using it for 20 years.  Cleans well and no issues with any stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2021, 07:11 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I make my own cleaner with Suave shampoo, glycerin and water. I love it. Plus it smells so good. Right now I am using Waterfall Shampoo.

For really tough stains I do have StazOn. I used rubbing alcohol for the longest time. I know every time I write that a stamper has fainted, lol. I always washed them very well afterward and gave them a good coating of glycerin. Shaz- love the tip about hand sanitizer. I buy a lot of used stamps. Some of them have been inked to oblivion. I use StazOn mainly to clean up stamps I buy used. I have a toolbox full of cleaning tools for all my adopted things I bring home.

I also use a Shammy. I am not fancy. I just buy my Shammy's from Dollar Tree. They last forever, for me. I just usually add water to my shammy for light stamping projects. If I am doing a lot of stamping then I add some of my homemade cleaner. That combo works so good. IMO it can be better than the StazOn cleaner.
I've just taken a chance on a 25 set lot that is significantly stained. Do you simply scrub them on a shammy, or use a toothbrush, too? I want to believe I can restore them some, but holding back on my enthusiasm so I won't be disappointed. Now I've got to get some StazOn cleaner, which I haven't had need of yet, even though I've wanted their ink for a while. Thanks for the inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Toothbrush: For very detailed stamps I like the cleaning pads for stamps. HOWEVER...know that it will spray the cleaner/ink on the wood. So if you want to keep your wood clean I would not use that. Not to say I dont resort to a toothbrush at times-will also spray the wood. But this works really well. There is a mini HT vid there too.

This is very similar to what I have. Mine is old. I dont know this company. You just rinse the pad out every so often.

https://www.thestampmaker.com/Produc...0aAiNnEALw_wcB

True stazon (for stazon ink) is for oil? based inks. They do have all purpose one. If your inks are water based then lot of things will clean them.

I am about to resort to taking a super fine grit sandpaper to a stamp that is not stamping well and I cant see why so I am hoping a couple of swipes will do it. As I would have to toss the stamp otherwise I have nothing to lose.

Good luck. Let us know how it comes out with the lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Online descriptions for Judikins is that it's SOLVENT based, which would only be used for Solvent inks. Probably too harsh for dye or pigment inks. ALSO hand sanitizer is mostly alcohol, so I wouldn't try that. I have been using Michael's Recollections cleaner if water won't clean well enough. After seeing it here, I bought some Simple Green for less than $2.00. I will be trying that after current cleaner is gone. I like the Stampin Up Big scrubber pad which broke at the hinges, but is now much easier to use since I took the pad out of the plastic case. The little fibers get into the crevices of stamps, and if still stubborn I use a toothbrush marked for cleaning purposes...not teeth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2021, 06:36 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Harvestmoon. I knew Stazon was different. Ok...solvent not oil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2021, 01:42 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

plain cheap rubbing alcohol. i read this on a blog a few years ago and it works. no damage to my stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2021, 05:20 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Simple Green diluted down generally because it is cheap and readily available. If that doesn't work then I try full strength SG, if the ink is still there then I'll use Judkins regular stamp cleaner ( they have 2 formulas btw). The Judikins is awesome and has cleaned many a stamp I thought would stay stained, even India and solvent inks a few times. If at this point the stamp is still stained then I don't worry about it. I figure that ink isn't going anywhere and is not going to affect my project.

Yes even the regular Judikins smells like it has alcohol or other harsher cleaners in it but I've been using it for over 20 years without issue. They claim to also have ingredients that condition rubber and my 20 - 30+ year old stamps still stamp fine.

The one thing I always do no matter what I clean with, is rinse well with plain water before setting my stamps out to dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2021, 06:33 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creative-JuicesView Post
I've just taken a chance on a 25 set lot that is significantly stained. Do you simply scrub them on a shammy, or use a toothbrush, too? I want to believe I can restore them some, but holding back on my enthusiasm so I won't be disappointed. Now I've got to get some StazOn cleaner, which I haven't had need of yet, even though I've wanted their ink for a while. Thanks for the inspiration!
I use a shammy & a toothbrush. Heavily stained stamps I leave my StazOn cleaner on for a couple of minutes so it will really set in. Then I give the stamp a good wash with cheap shampoo & coat it with glycerin when I am done.
I got the cheap shampoo trick from one of the ladies here who I swear she got the tip from Tim Holtz if I remember correctly. It's been a few years.
Any of the commercial stamp cleaners on the market should do the job if you have trouble finding StazOn. I use StazOn because it was readily available & I could use a coupon. I have heard excellent reviews about Judikins. I heard that Stampin Up cleaner is excellent too. I don't think they make it anymore.
Hope that helps. Congrats on your big lot of stamps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Judikins used to have that big 16 oz bulk bottle that was economical too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2021, 04:24 PM   #23  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Judikins used to have that big 16 oz bulk bottle that was economical too.
Is it this one available at Marcos Paper...

https://www.marcopaper.com/products....26-Conditioner

Or this one (my favorite for tough stains on rubber):

https://www.marcopaper.com/products....nt-Ink-Cleaner
Reply With Quote Likes