Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-17-2018, 08:10 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Question Spellbinders Glimmer Foil Dies

I saw a group of these dies doing on display at Hobby Lobby. They are designed to be used with their Glimmer Foil system. Nice designs, but with very narrow lines for foiling. Anyone know if they work as paper cutting dies?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I watched a Jennifer MacGuire video the other night using this machine, and as far as I recall she didn't die cut with them. Actually, I've just been and read the promo blurb on Crafters Companion site. Two things here- first, there two sorts of Dies,-Foil Stamp Dies, and Foil Stamp ‘N Cut Dies. The Foil Stamp Dies create a foiled and debossed design, and the Foil Stamp ‘N Cut Dies will foil, deboss and die cut with just one pass through the Gemini machine. Thats copied from the site.
Second, for anyone thinking of buying one, the plate will not work wih all machines. Again, from the site :
The FOILPRESS has been designed to work exclusively with the Gemini brand die-cutting and embossing machines and it comes with a Foiling Platform that has been perfectly sized to fit in the Gemini Junior. The FOILPRESS can also be used with the original Gemini machine, but users will need to buy a ‘Top Plate Extender’ to be able to do this. The FOILPRESS is not compatible with the Gemini GO.
Hope that helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks. I guess they are called plates then, rather than dies. They were displayed right next to the dies in the store and the packaging is very similar to the dies; so it would be very easy to mistake one for a die.

I like the look of foil but don't care to have one more big (and big bucks) tool on my table and don't care to be buying supplies of foil sheets continually. (I think the Glimmer Foil system at HL was $119.) There is just so much else fabulous stuff out there to do with paper that I pass on foil. Of course, just watch me change my tune if I find a dirt cheap heat lamination machine at a garage sale . . . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2018, 12:57 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Lol, totally agree. I saw the launch price over here yesterday- £100. Not going there, plus you'd end up spending loads on the dies and such.Plus you need one of the compatible die cutting machines, and having just broken my 'Bug, and have a Big Shot being delivered by Santa, lol, thats not happening either. Jennifer MacGuire did say you can use dies you already have in it, I gather it's effectively like a hot plate, and heats up the whole die. I bought my laminator for about £15, and that works fine for me for what I want to do. It's just a basic on/off machine, no fancy heat settings, and does the job fine.
I can see it's appeal if you do a lot of stuff like wedding stationery to order, then it would make sense, but like you, not for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

so Spellbinders and Crafter's Companion have similar looking glimmer machines that foil using plates. I want the spellbinders one so much! But we can only have so much so I am putting the purchase on hold. The results look so professional!! Sigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=shazsilverwolf;21743964] there two sorts of Dies,-Foil Stamp Dies, and Foil Stamp ‘N Cut Dies. The Foil Stamp Dies create a foiled and debossed design . . .

Am I missing something? Can't you just put foiled card stock in an embossing folder and achieve this effect?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2019, 02:07 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Louisa May, it adds hot transfer foil to a design, rather than embossing a sheet of foiled cardstock.
JoanB, if you do decide to buy, make sure that the heated plates will fit whatever die cutting machine you have. I definitely got the impression that the Crafters Companion one will only fit one of their Gemini- not sure which size it was.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Louisa May, it adds hot transfer foil to a design, rather than embossing a sheet of foiled cardstock.
JoanB, if you do decide to buy, make sure that the heated plates will fit whatever die cutting machine you have. I definitely got the impression that the Crafters Companion one will only fit one of their Gemini- not sure which size it was.

Yes, I am aware but thanks for the reminder. By the way there is an excellent comparison of the 2 machines here. The spellbinders can be used in the Big Shot, but the crafters companion only in the gemini. there are other pros and cons of each machine.

Reply With Quote Likes