Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #81  
K-F
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For what we have to pay for Spellbinders dies, I resent that I ALSO have to buy parchment paper, baking paper, etc. and pass them them through a machine more than once. Okay, waxed paper is cheap. But it's a pain to use because it's so slippery, and you can't hold it in place with tape because tape won't stick to waxed paper. AND, when I DO use an intricate die and have to pass it through the machine 2-3 times, the paper moves on the die and the cut out is ruined. Like others have said, I feel I shouldn't have to move the die around to try to find the sweet spot on the roller. Just make a better machine in the first place. I don't have time for messing around and repeatedly making cuts until I get a usable one. Way back when it first came out, I bought the raspberry manual Spellbinders machine. OMG! You would not believe how difficult it was to try to get a decent die cut. That machine hurt my hand, arm, elbow and shoulder. The point is: Make your products so that they are EASY to use! I have at least 100 Spellbinder die sets, but I don't buy them anymore because of my last purchase. I bought a set of the Gold die--the new ones that are SUPPOSED to cut and emboss in one pass. Garbage! I watched the Spellbinders videos over and over and the die I bought never did cut. Spellbinders told me to buy paper that was a certain weight. It's rare to see the weight on a piece or pack of scrapbooking paper. They told me to call the manufacturer. Next, they told me to mist the paper on both sides before cutting. Come on! None of us should have to go that much trouble to get a die to work. Instead, Spellbinders should use better materials or change manufacturers. Thanks for letting me vent.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #82  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello K-F!

I'm so sorry to hear about your trouble with your Imperial Gold die template. Please contact me via email at [email protected]

We can help find a resolution, just as we have countless times here on the forums. We are here as community members and a resource for our friends here on the Splitcoast forums. I look forward to hearing from you!

Kelly Loubet
Social Media and Community Developer
Spellbinders Paper Arts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #83  
Hardware Hotshot

K-K and others who are having problems with the newer dies I think you are on to something.
I have a gazillion Spellbinder dies too and most are the older ones.
I have the old darker metal on the Fancy tags and they are intricate too , yet they cut in one pass with my worn out Cuttlebug.

I have the same problem of needing multiple passes to cut Cheery Lynn dies.
I think the cutting ridges need to be deeper or we need a machine that we can set the pressure .

On July 9th Michelle Woerner made a tutorial for the Spellbinder blog showing how to cut the Fancy Lattice die. It is a major undertaking with numerous passes and additional shims here and there to get it to fully cut . I don't have that die and I really like the appearance of it, but would not be willing to go through all of that rigamarole to get it to cut

Spellbinders Blog | Spellbinders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #84  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
K-K and others who are having problems with the newer dies I think you are on to something.
I have a gazillion Spellbinder dies too and most are the older ones.
I have the old darker metal on the Fancy tags and they are intricate too , yet they cut in one pass with my worn out Cuttlebug.

I have the same problem of needing multiple passes to cut Cheery Lynn dies.
I think the cutting ridges need to be deeper or we need a machine that we can set the pressure .

On July 9th Michelle Woerner made a tutorial for the Spellbinder blog showing how to cut the Fancy Lattice die. It is a major undertaking with numerous passes and additional shims here and there to get it to fully cut . I don't have that die and I really like the appearance of it, but would not be willing to go through all of that rigamarole to get it to cut

Spellbinders Blog | Spellbinders
I totally agree with you Barbara Jay, I have the fancy tags as well and dont have any problems getting a clean cut in the first pass and no drama getting the diecut out of the die.

I'm at the point that I'm considering purchasing an electronic die cutter (like a Cameo) so I can cut whatever I want without the dramas of the manual die machines. I'll certainly keep all the dies and machines that I have as I love my embossing folders too, but die companies are just not meeting my expectations anymore and like many of the other posters here, I'm tired of the time and effort it takes to get one die cut from the newer intricate dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #85  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappyozView Post
I totally agree with you Barbara Jay, I have the fancy tags as well and don't have any problems getting a clean cut in the first pass and no drama getting the die cut out of the die.

I'm at the point that I'm considering purchasing an electronic die cutter (like a Cameo) so I can cut whatever I want without the dramas of the manual die machines. I'll certainly keep all the dies and machines that I have as I love my embossing folders too, but die companies are just not meeting my expectations anymore and like many of the other posters here, I'm tired of the time and effort it takes to get one die cut from the newer intricate dies.
I bought a Cameo a few months ago and I do like it very much.
However, I also love the embossing feature of the Spellbinder dies and that is not possible with an electronic die cutting machine. I found that I no longer want any of the flat dies that do not emboss from other companies. I can cut those with my Cameo.
I still love Spellbinder's dies and I hope they find a way to make them completely cut without me jumping through hoops .

Now I only buy a Spellbinder die that I love so much I am willing to go through the complicated procedure it takes to get it to cut. In the past when new Spellbinder dies were released I put a lot of dies on my wish list. Now I weigh them very carefully to be sure I love it enough to deal with the cutting issues. Spellbinders and I are both losing because to the cutting issues

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 07-12-2013 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #86  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Barbara Jay and scrappyoz! I am so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with specific Spellbinders dies. Barbara, you're right, there have been some issues with that particular lattice and we rectified it with a teflon coating. I invite both of you to please contact me via email and I will personally connect you with a customer service rep directly. We are here on the forums as community members and want to be of service. Thank you so much for the spirited discussion. It's feedback from consumers like you, that allow us to continue to create amazing products. [email protected] -Kelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #87  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly@SpellbindersView Post
Hi Barbara Jay and scrappyoz! I am so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with specific Spellbinders dies. Barbara, you're right, there have been some issues with that particular lattice and we rectified it with a teflon coating. I invite both of you to please contact me via email and I will personally connect you with a customer service rep directly. We are here on the forums as community members and want to be of service. Thank you so much for the spirited discussion. It's feedback from consumers like you, that allow us to continue to create amazing products. [email protected] -Kelly
Thanks Kelly, but I never bought the Fancy Lattice die. I have the Basic Lattice and that cuts with a few passes. I was considering the Fancy Lattice when I saw the cutting issues.

I know Spellbinder intricate dies DO cut because I have a lot of them including several of the S5 Shapeablities "Motifs and Accents" sets and they "all" cut just fine. I need to turn them once to complete the cuts but is is not a problem. Floral Ovals cuts on one or two passes too . These dies are all the bronze color metal

I just got 5X7 Elegant Labels 4 and that one took "several" passes to finally cut. It is no more intricate than the Shapeablities "Motif and Accent" sets yet it was a long process to get it finally cut out. This die is the newer gold colored metal

This is why I suspect the newer metal is the problem. Is the newer gold metal a slightly softer metal and the cutting ridge collapses a bit with the pressure of the rollers? Or is the cutting ridge slightly less deep or "uneven" on the newer metal than on the bronze metal dies. I don't have a micrometer to measure the depth of the ridges .
What ever the cause the cutting issues are "new" issues. My collection of Spellbinder dies goes back to when they were all on one plate such as Symbology 1 or the two piece butterfly S3-038

I always use Wax paper and have no problem removing the CS from any of the dies . I need to use a toothpick ( so I don't scratch the metal) to remove the tiny left over bits in the die but that is no problem for me .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #88  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have better luck with freezer paper than with wax paper. Freezer paper has a bit more heft, which makes it easier to weed out and acts like a very thin shim (which some of these very detailed dies need).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #89  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
I have better luck with freezer paper than with wax paper. Freezer paper has a bit more heft, which makes it easier to weed out and acts like a very thin shim (which some of these very detailed dies need).
What kind of freezer paper are you using? And where do you buy it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #90  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Thanks for your offer Kelly - I'll email you my details.

Just to let you know that I own 60+ sets of Spellbinder dies (as well as other manufacturers' dies) and like Barbara Jay started buying them a long time ago, so it's obvious when something isn't right.

My three 'problem' Spellbinder dies are the D'Lites Gazebo, D'Lites Window 2 and Decorative labels 8. The two D'Lites are a struggle to get out of the die even with wax paper (you can see where I've used wax paper in the photo eamples below). They can easily tear (I've marked a red X on the gazebo where that's happened) and crumple/crease because of how difficult they are to get out of the die (as you can see on the Window sample). Even being as careful as possible when removing the diecut, there's always something not quite right. The wax paper certainly helps as previously I couldn't get these out of the die at all without ruining them.

The large decorative labels 8 takes multiple passes to get the narrower edge to cut.

I must be lucky with the fancy lattice die as it cuts well with just 2 passes through my old Bug (turning it once) and comes out of the die very easily - no wax paper needed. I also then just tap the die and the excess pieces of paper just fall out (you can see in the photo only 1 piece was left that I had to manually remove). This is what I expect to be able to do with all my dies, and unfortunately that's not the case for these three.

It's odd how most dies release the diecuts easily and without damage and others don't.

Here are samples of the dies/diecuts:
2bef3ade-5cd8-4411-a35f-ccbbb17de62e_zps4fbae320.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #91  
Hardware Hotshot

LOL This is amazing. Using my worn out Cuttlebug My Decorative Labels 8 cuts in two passes. One pass and then a 90 degree turn and another pass. Perfect cut.
You are correct the top and bottom did not cut cleanly on the first pass, but did cut cleanly with the 90 degree turn
I don't have the Gazebo nor the Windows 2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #92  
Kookie Creator

I just bought labels 8 and it took me 45 minutes to figure out how to get a good cut... i had to use parchment paper and a toothpick, it took way too long. At this point im not willing to use it or any mire dies with intricate cuts. Im bummed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #93  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
I just bought labels 8 and it took me 45 minutes to figure out how to get a good cut... i had to use parchment paper and a toothpick, it took way too long. At this point im not willing to use it or any mire dies with intricate cuts. Im bummed
Do you mean Labels 8 or Decorative Labels 8?

Since my Decorative Labels 8 cut cleanly with 2 passes and others struggle to get theirs to cut, I wonder if there is a Quality Contol issue at the manufacturer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2013, 05:23 AM   #94  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

What kind of freezer paper are you using? And where do you buy it?
It's Reynolds brand. I get it at the grocery store and WalMart.

I also use freezer paper to make stencils for fabric (t-shirts, home decor, etc.). Google 'freezer paper stencils' or freezer paper t-shirts' and many websites pop up with more info. You cut (with dies, scissors, craft knife, electronic cutter, etc.) your shape/word from the freezer paper, iron the negative portion shiny side down to your t-shirt, then paint your fabric. The slight waxing on the paper makes it adhere just enough to the fabric to make a good *removable* stencil. It's a very inexpensive way to let a whole classroom full of kids make fun t-shirts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #95  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Do you mean Labels 8 or Decorative Labels 8?

Since my Decorative Labels 8 cut cleanly with 2 passes and others struggle to get theirs to cut, I wonder if there is a Quality Contol issue at the manufacturer?
I'm more inclined to believe it's an issue with variances in machines, both between brands and even amongst individual machines of the same brand. In my experience (with my Cuttlebug, Big Shot, Big Shot Pro, Big Kick, Grand Calibur, and GrandeMark), the exact same die will cut differently depending upon the machine I use. I have friends who borrow my dies and use them in their various machines and get varying results. The rollers seem to exert slightly different pressure at slightly different places from one machine to the next, even amongst the same brand/style of machine. I use a thin metal shim in all my machines when cutting detailed dies, and it does help a lot.

In general, if I'm going to have trouble with a wafer-thin die, it's going to be with my Cuttlebug. Even though it can accommodate these dies, I don't feel it's the best one for the job. It seems to have the least amount of pressure through the rollers. At least, my CB is the weakest of my machines. It does a fine job with thicker dies and even Sizzlits, but the wafer-thin dies throw it for a loop.

ETA In my experience, it's more a case of variances in machines, but it makes sense that there would be variances in dies, as well. Some of these dies are so thin and detailed that even a slight bend while shipping or handling would be enough to affect the cut. Between the variances in dies and the variances in machines, a wide range of results isn't all that surprising.

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 07-14-2013 at 05:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #96  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
Hi mireles,

If you're having trouble with this die, feel free to contact me and I'll connect you with customer service. It could be as simple as a helpful tip from them to turn your experience around. Or you may need a replacement. [email protected]

Kelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #97  
Compulsive Stamper

Angela,

I received and responded to your email. Our customer service won't be able to get back to you until Monday, but I want you to know that you're being heard. A 90 degree turn for a second pass is a normal step when using intricate dies. As far as the Fancy Lattice, it looks like you have the teflon. It's been amazing. Your Die D-Lites should not be experiencing the issues you've pictured and I know we can absolutely help you with that. Just last week we helped to replace some Die D-Lites from a post in the forums. We stand behind our product and make it right. Replacement dies are tested in-house before they're sent out. We want to see our consumers happy! xo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2013, 01:56 AM   #98  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Angela,

I received and responded to your email. Our customer service won't be able to get back to you until Monday, but I want you to know that you're being heard. A 90 degree turn for a second pass is a normal step when using intricate dies. As far as the Fancy Lattice, it looks like you have the teflon. It's been amazing. Your Die D-Lites should not be experiencing the issues you've pictured and I know we can absolutely help you with that. Just last week we helped to replace some Die D-Lites from a post in the forums. We stand behind our product and make it right. Replacement dies are tested in-house before they're sent out. We want to see our consumers happy! xo
Hi Kelly - thanks for your email and for forwarding my details onto customer service who are already working through the issues I've been experiencing with the dies. It's good to hear that I have the teflon coated fancy lattice die - it works so well, even in my old Bug. Is there any way to tell what other dies are teflon coated (or not) please? I wouldn't hesitate to buy more that are teflon coated if they performed like the lattice die - no wax paper or ejection foam needed at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #99  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappyozView Post
Hi Kelly - thanks for your email and for forwarding my details onto customer service who are already working through the issues I've been experiencing with the dies. It's good to hear that I have the teflon coated fancy lattice die - it works so well, even in my old Bug. Is there any way to tell what other dies are teflon coated (or not) please? I wouldn't hesitate to buy more that are teflon coated if they performed like the lattice die - no wax paper or ejection foam needed at all.
Great Question Angela! Let me touch base with our Product Development Team.

-Kelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #100  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Spellbinder dies cut terrible

not sure if this will help, but if it works for Intricut dies should work for SB. mike at cheery Lynne told me the following. if you have a Die that is giving you trouble, rotate the die a quarter turn and run through again , some times I have to do this twice with other brands of intricate dies

he also said the following which works like a charm. most people over shim their dies if they do not come out first pass. If you have a die that cuts all around the outside and not in the centre, simply shim only over the part that does not cut through, due to once gain the most pressure is on the outside of manual machines.

I belong to a group and it is surprising to see that the ones having trouble are usually using the wrong sandwich.lol. Have never had to use wax paper for any die andI use a lot of Memory Box which are more delicate than my SB.
I should mention that I do not have any of the problem SB dies mentioned here so, this could indeed be a separate issue.

I did have one store owner tell me that most people expect a perfect cut first time and not willing to try a Few extra passes or whatever, so she just returns the money.Now having said that I have many that come out perfect first pass, but i am willing to try a couple of tricks before throwing in the towel which so far has not happened (fingers crossed now that I have said this) :rolleyes:

Anyway if this helps anyone I would be happy to hear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #101  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
Just a heads up, crafters- I asked my dentist what he did with all the old dental tools. My dentist told me they get sterilized, and tossed into a box in the closet. Now, how does that pertain to this thread? He gave me several of those tools, so I'd have an assortment of tips, and they are really marvelous for finagling those intricate die cuts out of the dies! I use the wax paper, but having the tools that can poke through the tiny holes, and slip under the pieces and lift them out of the dies really helps. And free is my favorite price! It can't hurt to ask your dentist if you can have a couple of retired tools for crafting, worst they can say is no, and best is giving you several to take home and play with.
Thanks for the tip!! I saw my Dentist today and asked if he had any old dental tools with points on them that are no longer useable. He gave me two great ones!! One has bent needle like points on both ends . The other one is very unique . It has the thin needle like shafts, but has "very tiny" flat disks on the ends so they are not sharp and won't tear the paper.
The flat disks are so small I needed to look very clsoely to see them. He pointed them out to me. He has seen my cards because I send him and his office Christmas cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #102  
Compulsive Stamper

Great tips canada goose! Those tips are the very same that our Customer Service Representatives would give as well. Wax paper is a nice thing to have around should you have a troublesome die that won't release. So glad to hear you've not had that problem. We love being a part of such a helpful community!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #103  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Angela,

I received replacement dies today for the two D'lite dies which were giving me problems and I have to say, the replacement dies work so much better than my original ones. I tested both this morning, didn't use wax paper with either the Gazebo or Window 2 die and the diecuts came out of the dies without tearing or creasing. Thanks Kelly so much for arranging for these replacement dies! Really appreciate the prompt action taken by the Spellbinders customer service team to rectify the problem with my original dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #104  
Glitter Queen

Wow, I have been sitting here reading and I must say, I have tried all the suggestions, but my die for Radiant Rectangles is still not cutting. I have written to Spellbinders product service and now to KLoubet (finding her contact info here). Hope to get some help. I so wanted to use that die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #105  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeedoggyView Post
Wow, I have been sitting here reading and I must say, I have tried all the suggestions, but my die for Radiant Rectangles is still not cutting. I have written to Spellbinders product service and now to KLoubet (finding her contact info here). Hope to get some help. I so wanted to use that die.
Is it "Romantic Rectangles " that you are having a problem cutting? I can't find a " Radiant Rectangles " on the Spellbinder site. Maybe I am missing something.
What problem are you having in the cutting process?

I have Romantic Rectangles and I am not having any problem cutting it with an old loose Cuttlebug. I wonder if you got a bad die.
The rollers on my Cuttlebug have gotten so loose over the years that I am expecting it to give up the ghost any day now . But I am not getting rid of it until it no longer cuts at all .

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 08-27-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #106  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Quick update here, Karen at Spellbinders has contacted me, and I will try again with the die(s)
Barbara Jay - it is a Nestabilities 'Radiant Rectangles' ~ I was so excited to get it. So I really want it to work. =
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #107  
Pearl-ExPert

So glad I found this thread! I bought some Spellbinder snowflake die set (create a flake or something - don't remember the name right now) and every time I tried to cut a snowflake with it, it would cut very well but I would never be able to pull the die-cut out from the die. That left me pulling my hair!! I thought there was something wrong with me because there are all these people out there using intricate spellbinders dies and making some beautiful cards! Looks like I'm not alone that's a relief!

I haven't tried the wax paper suggestion and I'm not going to. To me that's not the long term solution - I might use the wax paper trick once not every time. So eventually I'll end up not using the die. If the product doesn't work as it is, then IMO it's a bad product. I would rather buy an expensive die that works straight out of the box.

Also, after this experience I read about Memory box and Cheery Lynn dies and they're both made in US. So my money is going to go to them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #108  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Quick update here, Karen at Spellbinders has contacted me, and I will try again with the die(s)
Barbara Jay - it is a Nestabilities 'Radiant Rectangles' ~ I was so excited to get it. So I really want it to work. =
I found Radiant Rectangles. That is very pretty!! I must have missed seeing that one. There are so many die sets these days it is easy to miss some of them .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #109  
Pearl-ExPert

Can someone tell me where you can buy a metal shim?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #110  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopping DivaView Post
Can someone tell me where you can buy a metal shim?
Chic and Savvy has them. There are a couple to chose from depending on the size you want .
Chic and Savvy Crafters Product List
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #111  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's a link to the page at Chic & Savvy scampers for the metal shims

Chic and Savvy Crafters Product List

Hope the link works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #112  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you Boss!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #113  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh wow, I'm not sure which one to get. Can you recommend one. I make cards and have a Bigshot and Cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #114  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopping DivaView Post
Oh wow, I'm not sure which one to get. Can you recommend one. I make cards and have a Bigshot and Cuttlebug.
I have a Cuttlebug, so I got the Cuttlehug one....I see that my link has gons squirrely in my previous post. Here is a link to the Cuttlehug metal plate by Cherry Lynn Designs

Cuttlehug Metal Cutting Plate Adaptor Large size

If you want to find the oth metal plates at Chic & Savvy just type the word metal in the search box. For some reason metal shim doesn't bring up the product.

If you can only buy one shim, get the one that will work in both machines - that would be the Cuttlehug size. It would be a shame to get a plate that was too large to fit in your Bug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #115  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

i'm curious, did she give you any other tips not mentioned here? I just bought the Resplendant Rectangles and am having trouble getting the outside edges to cut just for the largest size rectangle. I have tried turning it 90 degrees and cutting a second time but it's a very tight fit going through the landscape way. I does make a bit of difference but it still leaves portions uncut.

i have the metal adapter plate as well. Are you supposed to put the metal plate against the cutting edge of the die or should the flat part of the die sit on it?

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2013, 04:11 AM   #116  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbpView Post

i have the metal adapter plate as well. Are you supposed to put the metal plate against the cutting edge of the die or should the flat part of the die sit on it?
I was taught to have the die's non cutting edge against the metal plate but in a recent class we put the paper on the metal plate and die cutting edge to the paper. The die put dents in your metal plate but it cuts much better this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #117  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbpView Post
i'm curious, did she give you any other tips not mentioned here? I just bought the Resplendant Rectangles and am having trouble getting the outside edges to cut just for the largest size rectangle. I have tried turning it 90 degrees and cutting a second time but it's a very tight fit going through the landscape way. I does make a bit of difference but it still leaves portions uncut.

I will copy & paste here what she said:

"The Radiant Rectangle design is detailed along the long sides as well as the ends of the die. The cutting machine must provide the needed pressure to cut all of those cut lines in order to have a complete cut after one feed. If your machine is cutting the long edges of the die but not the ends, this is a sign that you need to rotate the die on the plate because your machine is providing the necessary pressure to cut the long sides but not the ends which are in the center of the rollers. Although you cannot move the die so that it is sideways on the plate as you can in the Grand Calibur, I have had owners of the Cuttlebug and Big shot find success with this die by angling it as much as possible and feeding it again. The challenge is to get the ends of the die as close to the edges of the rollers as possible. Please let me know if this works out for you."

Hope that is helpful to you as well
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #118  
Mad Swapper

Thanks ladies, I tried the turning 90 degrees in the BS and it helped a bit but still not cut al the way through. So, I pulled out the trusty bug. I added some tape to the top/bottom where it was not cutting and that seemed to help. The sandwich is really tight but I did manage to get it to cut.

I found when I turned it 90 degrees in the BS that you have to have your CS cut to exactly the length of the die. I guess I should tape it because then the CS would shift and miss the cutting edge completely.

Even though I did manage to get it cut it just seems like a waste of time and CS running it through 20 times to figure out the correct sandwich, placement, etc. As others have said, these new gold dies just don't seem to have the cutting ability like the other Spellbinders or dies from other companies. Was thinking of getting the Radiant Rectangles but may have to rethink that one.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #119  
Glitter Queen

Default the new gold spellbiners

I find some don't cut. and they are very feeble, then bend easily,
not too impressed right now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #120  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi there! You shouldn't be having this much of a struggle with Spellbinders die templates. I'm so sorry to read about the issues you're having. But that's why we're here! To listen to your feedback and find solutions. And not just for you... for any of our customers in this thread. We stand behind our product and will make it right for you. Please reach out to me personally and I will make sure, as I've done dozens of times in these forums, that you get a satisfactory solution. We appreciate your feedback and we're listening! [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes