Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2021, 07:46 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Simon Hurley Lunar Paste vs Cosmic Shimmer Gilding polish

Yesterday I saw a Simon Hurley youtube video showcasing his new "lunar paste" it looked great but I thought it looked like Cosmic Shimmer gilding polish. Is this the same thing just different company branding? Are there other companies making similar stuff, if so please list. How is the shelf life on these? I bought Gina K glitz glitter gel and was very disappointed in the short shelf life. Used it once then a few months later went to use it and it was dried up...did revive it a bit with water but not the same as when I got it. Anyone have any experience with any of these and want to share pros/cons of each brand? I love stuff like this but want to spend my dollars wisely. Thanks so much.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
sue in so cal (06-08-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I think the cosmic shimmers look really cool. I hope to hear good reports about them.

Not impressed with what I saw with Hurley. Cosmic has a built in applicator for one thing.

Last edited by wavejumper; 06-04-2021 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
sue in so cal (06-08-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 05:16 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I saw a glimmer paste in a video recently that was in a squeeze bag... dispenser in the corner of the bag. Can’t remember where I saw it now but at the time I was thinking it was a good idea because it would keep the paste from drying. Only downside is you can’t put any extra back in the container.

is anyone familiar with this product? I believe the person I was watching is in the UK...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I've used the metallic guilding polish in gold and so far so good. It has not dried out at all and I've had it about 8 months. There's a bit of a trick to removing the applicator from the bottle (twist and pop away from you at the same time) and once you've mastered that, it comes off with ease. The only thing I don't care for is the odor. It has a heavy 'paint-like' scent to it that makes my allergies go crazy. I think Simon's Lunar Paste looks pretty cool, but I've learned my lesson buying other 'cool' pastes/gels. I use them a few times, then they sit on the shelf and dry out. My guilding polish, I've used for cards and mixed media projects and like the shine I get from them. Just my 0.02.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by pepperann:
sue in so cal (06-08-2021), wavejumper (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I saw a glimmer paste in a video recently that was in a squeeze bag... dispenser in the corner of the bag. Can’t remember where I saw it now but at the time I was thinking it was a good idea because it would keep the paste from drying. Only downside is you can’t put any extra back in the container.

is anyone familiar with this product? I believe the person I was watching is in the UK...
Maybe it's Seth Apter? https://www.sethapter.com/catalog/pr...y-lustre-paste
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Vic - yes, I believe that's it. Thank you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using Cosmic Shimmer Gilding Polishes for well over a year. I spritz them with water after each use and they've been fine. I think Hurley/Ranger's product looks more like TCW's Stencil Butter, which I've only used once so far. Gilding Polishes are not at all dimensional and their color palette is less conventional (and broader). The Stencil Butter palette is similar to Hurley's (rainbow hues, pretty much) and a little broader. If I didn't own either, I'd be tempted to try the Hurley product, but I don't need yet another one.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by clouston:
pepperann (06-08-2021), sue in so cal (06-08-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 12:55 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I don’t know about the Hurley product, but I can say that I love my Cosmic Shimmer Gilding Polish. It is easy to use and has lasted me many months without any discernible degrading of the product. I wash out the sponge applicator after each session of use, and then it is clean and ready to go for the next time. It does seem to hold up better than some of the other pastes and gels. I mainly use mine through stencils. Silver Dream on black cardstock is great for masculine cards. I buy mine at Joggles.com. Reasonable shipping and frequent discounts.
Reply With Quote Likes
pepperann (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 02:50 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Palette icon Joggles

I too shop at Joggles. Love the new products that they showcase in a 5? minute video. I have seen a gilding video on their site. I have several gilding pastes, from years ago. I use my finger. Still hanging in there. The paste doesn't use much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2021, 01:21 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the Ranger website, the Hurley stuff appears to be a thick paint with mica in it, rather than a polish.

In Australia we have Derivan Kindyglitz 3D which looks like the same sort of thing but not in
Simon's colours of course. Yes, "Kindyglitz"! I think the makers originally thought they were selling the stuff for kids, but now they fully recognise that their buyers are cardmakers.

There is also the Viva Decor Inka Gold range ( not just gold)
And Viva Decor stamp paint, which, despite the name, is useless for stamping with but can give a thick metallic sort of effect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2021, 06:14 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Most of the pastes I've bought dried out before I used them a second time. The only brands that I know I can rely on are Golden, Liquitex, and Lasting Impressions (which might nnot even be around anymore). I've had their products for many years, and they are as good as the day I bought them. If I want a colored paste, I add either a few drops of spray ink or scrape a few flecks of Gelatos into the white ones. I even add glitter once in a while.
Reply With Quote Likes