Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-26-2021, 01:26 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Shaping Paper Flowers

Anyone making and shaping paper flowers? I have started a collection of dies, already had the shaping tools (from The Punch Bunch, anyone remember them?) and I just received specialty paper from Elizabeth Craft Designs. I've watched some of Kittie K's videos and a couple of other ladies.

I'm planning on using these to decorate gift boxes (of a selection of cards) and on cards that will be hand-delivered.

Anyone have any tips, tricks or ideas?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2021, 11:10 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I have quite a few of the Susan's Garden flowers, and the Elizabeth Crafts shaping and contouring set. No tips, though. It's something I enjoy doing, but having to hand-deliver or include in a parcel means I don't make too many. My MIL loved flowers and DH normally delivered her cards in person, so she got quite a few. I like the look of the foam flowers that have been around for a couple of years now, but given the limited practicability of 3D florals, I haven't gone there. I imagine the foam must shape very nicely. Florists wire and tape are great for stems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2021, 06:10 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I was just watching a YouTube video on Tim Holtz's channel last night. He was demoing his kit that you can use to shape die cuts. You can fast forward through the beginning and just watch his demo on shaping. It was some good information. I plan to finish the video tonight. I'm sure you can also find other videos on YT that would show how to do what you are looking for. Just search for them.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2021, 08:04 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Handmade Flowers

The results you get really depend on the material that you use. Dampening and crumpling the paper before or after cutting/punching the flower will create a more shabby look. The bought ones use mulberry paper, which I'm sure you can buy somewhere. I have not tried it yet. Ink sponging the centers and edges and adding dots or vein marks and fancy centers(beads, rhinestones, etc.) also helps them look better. As far as roses go, I have found getting that center bud area really nice just takes practice and really depends on the paper and size of the flower, as does rolling the edges.
Foamarin is the material being used a lot now. I haven't tried it either.
Check out Selma Stevenson's flower tutorials. Selma's Stamping Corner
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2021, 08:12 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flower shaping

I love making paper flowers. Lightly misting the petals before shaping is key. Not only does the paper shape better but it holds the shape after it dries. Alcohol based inks maintain their bright colors but I use any ink I have if the color is what I want. I don’t mist vellum though.

Heartfelt Creations has tutorials on their site and on YouTube. I use shapes I already have if they match the shape being demonstrated. Caution: their stamps and dies are gorgeous and cause great desire for purchase.

Another tip, use your scissors to change the shape if needed. It took me a while to recognize that I had control over my creations and license to change anything I wanted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2021, 08:41 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love Paper Flowers

I have always thought that Heartfelt Creations flowers are among the most beautiful. My favorite YouTube video of Emma Lou's is about shaping Dogwood petals but most of it applies to all flowers. Using water as well as doubling over the mat were game changers as the flowers stiffen up and hold up beautifully when they dry.
The name of the YouTube video is: "How to Create Flowering Dogwoods and Stamens - Flowering Dogwood Collection".
Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2021, 08:45 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jephallView Post
Another tip, use your scissors to change the shape if needed. It took me a while to recognize that I had control over my creations and license to change anything I wanted.
Excellent point!
You don't even need the dies is a lot of cases. There are Youtubes on cutting flowers petals from patterns and templates. I even had success just folding round paper circles like you were going to make paper snowflakes and cut a petal shape then unfold and sponge and layer. This is great if you want to layer from a small center to a larger outside flower.
As Jephall warned... buying the dies to make different flowers can be addictive and expensive. I realize that our purchases keep this whole "gig" going but we want to stay within our means and be wise with our money expenditure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2021, 10:56 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm adding to those who are suggesting you watch YouTube videos. And I definitely agree that Heartfelt Creations has the best petal stamps and dies...wonderful variety, lots of instructions with samples galore! I have been creating dimensional flowers for a long time. If your hands can't handle the ball shaping tools, Heartfelt Creations has their shaping molds that work beautifully. Misting petals prior to shaping helps the fibers to stretch and move. Drying pulls the fibers together and the paper becomes more "stiff" while maintaining the new shape. Air drying works, but I don't have the patience to wait. I use a Tim Holtz/Ranger Heat Tool...good heat but with less "gale force winds" than a standard heat tool. Yes, cards featuring dimensional flowers are more expensive to mail, but the drama is definitely worth every penny! Enjoy creating your very own garden blooms!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2021, 06:52 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper pArtsView Post
I have always thought that Heartfelt Creations flowers are among the most beautiful. My favorite YouTube video of Emma Lou's is about shaping Dogwood petals but most of it applies to all flowers. Using water as well as doubling over the mat were game changers as the flowers stiffen up and hold up beautifully when they dry.
The name of the YouTube video is: "How to Create Flowering Dogwoods and Stamens - Flowering Dogwood Collection".
Enjoy!
I liked that video so much the first time I saw it that I bought the stamps and dies right away. Gorgeous! Those tools have been out for years, and they work really well. I bought an inexpensive set on Amazon, made by McGill. I don't even know if that company is around anymore, but it used to be a very popular craft company that make punches and other products. The set I bought even came with the mat. I believe I paid under $20 for the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2021, 05:10 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there any such thing as a dremel with a round ball tip? I made some paper flower arrangements and bouquets years ago that required using different sized round ball styluses. I loved the results but the repetitive motion caused some tendinitis! The Heartfelt Creations molds look like they would help but I really think a dremel-like tool would be even better.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:52 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by suarezwalshView Post
Is there any such thing as a dremel with a round ball tip? I made some paper flower arrangements and bouquets years ago that required using different sized round ball styluses. I loved the results but the repetitive motion caused some tendinitis! The Heartfelt Creations molds look like they would help but I really think a dremel-like tool would be even better.
I don't know if that would work because you need to put quite a bit of pressure down on the petals and leaves to make them curl, and that would slow and burden the dremel possibly burning the motor out. Maybe a heated ball on a soldering iron type of tool might soften and iron the papers easier. I don't know if they get too hot and would burn the paper though. Your idea is a good one though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Kittie Caracciolo has many flower-making hints and tricks on her website: https://kittiekraft.com/free-kittie-kraft-tutorials

She often works in very tiny flowers, but she also makes big ones, and I'm sure many of the techniques transfer from one size to the other. Kittie has teamed up with many stamp companies over the years -- check out her "About" page for the details, also her favorite tools.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2021, 12:16 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

AliceinMd, I meant Kittie C in my original post; I love her projects.

Paper pArts and Scrapjanny, I own ONE set of Heartfelt stamps and dies, and it is the dogwoods, which I've never used. Thanks for referencing the video - can't wait to watch!

Thanks to all; I found some really good information.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
dickiebutts (09-07-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 12:28 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by suarezwalshView Post
You need heat not greater rotating force. I bought a Japanese flower iron years ago used for making silk flowers that will work for paper too. No idea where to buy one tho. Sorry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
You need heat not greater rotating force. I bought a Japanese flower iron years ago used for making silk flowers that will work for paper too. No idea where to buy one tho. Sorry
Interesting! I wonder if heating a flower moulding ball over a candle and wiping off any soot with a thick cloth (don't want any burns) and rubbing the flower petals with that to shape would work. Of course regulating the temperature would be difficult, but the paper would be fairly forgiving that way. Would that work any better than dampening the petals before moulding them without the heat?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2022, 12:29 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Apparently the Japanese flower iron is called a Somebana Iron.
Here's a link to Etsy to take look at the gear:

Somebana Iron

Robin

Last edited by robbinbobbin; 11-19-2023 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes