Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for a Newbie

Michaels has a 20% your entire purchase (including sales items) coupon that expires at the end of the week that I REALLY want to use. I figured this would be a good time to maybe buy some stamping supplies. What would you recommend I get for just starting out? I have some inks, but I would like to be able to color in images.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

I'd get the Martha Stewart glitter set (a bunch of small bottles of different glitters in one box)... MS cupcake and butterfly punches... a couple packages of silver embellishments (like rhinestones? dewdrops? maybe you know what I mean? LOL!)...

I know those things are beyond "basics", but they help push your cardmaking ahead of basic pretty quickly!

Have fun shopping!
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

haha, I guess it would be good to mention that I am an advance scrapbooker expanding my area of play =D. I guess I am looking for recommendations for more of what type of coloring stuff to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Invest in a good paper trimmer, a good pair of detail scissors (Cutterbee) and black ink (Momento). Stock up on some adhesive (Tombo is a good start), maybe some stamping markers & watercolor pencils. You could also get some basic border and shape punches and a corner rounder. Those are things I find I use most.

If you want to splurge a bit, get the Big Kick or Cuttlebug and a few embossing folders and/or dies. Embelishments such as ribbon, brads & the like are also fun to have on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Maybe you would want to invest in a set of Prismacolor Colored Pencils and paper stumps/totillions and some Odorless Mineral Spirits (can also use Gamsol, Mona Lisa, Eco House Citrus Thinner, Goo Gone, or Baby Oil). a lot of people like to color in their images using colored pencil...you can take a look at the Prismacolor Chatter thread for more detail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I would go for Koh I Noor watercolor pencils and a dove blending pen or a waterpen. I like to keep it simple and clean when it comes to coloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I am in 100% agreement with a set of Prismacolor Pencils (go as big as you can afford) and the supplies needed to do the Magic Colored Pencil technique.

This was a technique I started off doing 10 years ago and I will still use the same technique today. I find there are so many techniques (& products that go in and out). This is one that I have never stopped doing. You can get really good results with just a little effort. Or you can get some jaw dropping results like Paula Tracy does.

Paula Tracy's Gallery

The Prismacolors are a great investment that you will have forever. They will not dry out like markers, ink pads or "wet" paints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

Just an FYI about the Michaels coupon - there is NOTHING on sale except frames - at my Michaels anyway. and you can't use it on clearance. To me I would just use the %40 percent off coupons on one item or wait because the usual sales are anywhere between 25 and 40% off. If its something you have to have this week or something that is never on sale or individual pencils or markers then I guess th %20 is a good deal. I was a little torked at the marketing for this weeks Michaels - felt a little gyped that the coupon is good for sael items then there was hardly anything on sale - no scrapbooking or even general craft supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, that is LAME. Thankyou for the recommendations ladies. Sounds like I should get some colored pencils and blending stump thingys with mineral oil. I have some watercolor pencils already. Sounds like I am gonna start with that. I have a cuttlebug and am wondering if Maybe I should invest in some of the nestabilities and such?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 02:15 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkaisuView Post
Just an FYI about the Michaels coupon - there is NOTHING on sale except frames - at my Michaels anyway. and you can't use it on clearance. To me I would just use the %40 percent off coupons on one item or wait because the usual sales are anywhere between 25 and 40% off. If its something you have to have this week or something that is never on sale or individual pencils or markers then I guess th %20 is a good deal. I was a little torked at the marketing for this weeks Michaels - felt a little gyped that the coupon is good for sael items then there was hardly anything on sale - no scrapbooking or even general craft supplies!
That really isn't much a surprise. When J's has their 50% off coupons, most things are already on sale so you're not able to buy much for this hobby. It's all about getting the customer on the store. They figure once you're there, you'll still spend money on something anyway. Gotta love box company marketing! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

yah, I always find that disappointing....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Ditto the Prismas

The Prisma pencils, paper stumps and OMS seem like a good way to go, for you. You'll enjoy the difference in the effect of the colouring that you get (from water colouring.)

Also, add to that some good 120gsm paper. You'll find you get better results with a good, heavy paper and less 'pilling'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

wait, so better than the Bazzill CS?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would definitely wait and use a 40% or 50 % off coupon to get the Prismacolor Pencils. The 120ct. is normally $189 or so and when I bought mine with the coupon they were only around $90. I love them and use them ALL the time. 20% off your entire purchase is good if you are just buying a few inexpensive things- but if you are investing in a large ticket item wait for the bigger coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherryLC05View Post
I would definitely wait and use a 40% or 50 % off coupon to get the Prismacolor Pencils. The 120ct. is normally $189 or so and when I bought mine with the coupon they were only around $90. I love them and use them ALL the time. 20% off your entire purchase is good if you are just buying a few inexpensive things- but if you are investing in a large ticket item wait for the bigger coupon.
Me too--or check for better prices for sets on eBay. I bought my set on the Bay and even with shipping, it was a substantial discount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought a 24 set since I have a large set at home for half off at Michaels using a Joann's coupon. I think I will invest in some stumps and blending solution now..... though I am wondering if a blending pen would work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

If you mean a Dove blender, they won't work with Prismacolor pencils. They won't break down the wax in the pencil. The simplest thing for me is a Goo-Gone Mess Free Pen, which comes with a chisel tip so that you can use it in even the smallest areas to blend. I found mine at Walmart in the same aisle as Brasso, floor polish, etc.

I would use the OMS if I could find anything besides blending stumps to use it with. Any ideas, anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes