Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question re 3D Embossing Folders

Hey y'all! I'm having trouble with my 3D EF with the Friends Are Like Seashells set. It's a gorgeous image! When I ordered the bundle, the EF was out of stock. I went ahead and ordered, at the suggestion of my SU rep, and she was able to get the EF for me a few weeks later. Full disclaimer here- I used the EF in my Vagabond machine.... just like I have used other SU dies and EFs in the Vagabond many times. With this EF, the image was not as defined or as sharp as the images in the catalog and cards I've seen made by others. But most distressing, the EF totally WARPED after one pass!! (pic attached) I called SU, and their response was that their products are designed for use in their machines only. Okay, I get it, they have to say that. But am I the only one who ever uses SU products in other cutting machines? I don't think so. I did not force it through. I had to try many different sandwiches to find the right one, both with and without the 3D EF plate. So, I'm really disappointed that it warped the folder, and that the image is far less defined than i had hoped. Has anyone else had experience like this? Obviously, I'm not going to purchase an SU cutting machine just for 3D EFs. I'd love to hear your experience as well as your suggestions as to how I can remedy this. Thanks so much!!
Attached Thumbnails
Question re 3D Embossing Folders-warp1.jpg   Question re 3D Embossing Folders-warp.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I'm responding without having the suite, but I did watch some videos and I have some of the new SU folders. So take my comments for what they are worth.

My first thought when seeing the "after" on the folder is this: the sandwich was too thick. You say that it wasn't forced, but I still think that it might be too tight of a sandwich. I have a LOT better luck with 3D folders if they seem to be looser in the sandwich, even feeling like they can't possibly impress an image with as easy as they go through.

What may have happened is that the folder got SO compressed that there was no room for the paper to expand into the texture.

My suggestion. Not from experience, mind you, and someone else may have a better idea. Warm the folder up in hot water. Let it get warm and put it between paper towels with weight on top. Hopefully that will take out most of the bend. Then try again with a looser sandwich.

My best results on one of the new SU 3D folder comes like this...I'm using Platinum 6 machine.
Platform...Spellbinders embossing mat (tan rubber sheet)...two thin shims (maybe one sheet cardstock)...3D folder. NO plates. Truthfully, it feels like nothing is happening, but I get a GREAT emboss.

By the way, I find that I never use my 3D plate on my 3D folders. I have better luck with embossing mats...truly!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 06-20-2021 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: addition
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by fionna51:
Bahb (06-20-2021), hultenlk (06-27-2021), K-Ditty (03-22-2022), mcost (04-18-2022), pepperann (06-25-2021), Sassy08 (12-19-2023), Valeriesc (06-22-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

By the way...I totally agree on how beautiful that folder is! I saw some lovely results online. I may have to get that one! Not loving the stamp and die...but the folder is beautiful!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by fionna51:
Bahb (07-09-2021), pepperann (01-11-2022), Rebali (07-07-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 10:58 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Smile

I've had a ton of trouble with the rollers on 3 different brands of cutting machines wrecking the outcome. Sometimes the rollers are so hard they imbed the die in the cutting plate, and sometimes they cut or emboss the sides but not the center. I've had four different brands of machines and am about to have my fifth. it's maddening!!!! I looked up in the internet how to "repair" the rollers,; and by the time i got the Big Shot apart, with dozens of screws and washers all over my work surface and parts that made no sense to me, i applaud the Commenter on here who fixed her own machine, but say this about that; the machines are way too expensive to have to fool with anything at all to get them to work right,. If i were you, I would blame the Vagabond before blaming Stampin' Up! Perhaps adding a cereal box shim would make the impression more clear. I've had very good luck cutting cereal boxes into shims and always trying those before giving up on a too-light impression of an embossing folder. Warping could be the rollers were too light or too heavy, but it you use a couple of shims the folder would straighten out? i would try that. It's only plastic. I'm not a rep, but Stampin' Up products I've bought over the years have ALWAYS been superior quality. Pricey, but Superior Quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2021, 12:30 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heart

Thanks, y'all!! I will give these things a try! I am a faithful SU crafter, and agree that their products are superior. I was disappointed in their reply, that's all. I've never had anything but excellent CS from them, so I was just surprised, that's all. Maybe the CS rep hadn't had enough coffee or something. Lol. It has been many years since I was active on this board. So nice to see it's still buzzing with active members. Thanks again for your replies!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
MichelleCole (09-11-2022)
Old 06-21-2021, 06:42 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I think they should have replaced it. If you've used other folders in your Vagabond with no problems, then it seems that the folder is the problem. It's ridiculous of Stampin' Up to assume that everyone is going to use their folders in ONLY their machines, and if that is the case, then they need to make that very clear before you buy it.

One of the reasons I left SU as a demo (many years ago) was their attitude toward defective merchandise. I bought a product that was clearly defective. When I contacted SU (as a demo, mind you), I was told that SU "didn't make defective products." They refused to replace it. Shortly after that, I decided that I didn't want to be an SU demo anymore. It's a terrible policy and attitude.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
Teachybaby (06-22-2021), uncbballfan (06-23-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 07:05 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Is the Vagabond an electric machine? I am a Cuttlebug user and I had to experiment with the 3D folders to get the right fit, however, I knew I didn't have it when it felt like I would really have to force the plates and folder through. If your machine is electric I am wondering if it just forced it and it was way too much pressure. Maybe open the folder and send it through and it will flatten out. Or, I agree with Fiona/Diane.........warm the folder and put something heavy on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2021, 08:29 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Question regarding #D embossing folder

Hi. When you pass your EF though the machine, are you sending it head first, or feet first? Sending it feet first will create pressure in the folder. I find that head first does a much better job. I use Spellbinder Platinum and my EF fight me if I don't send them head first. I run all different folders through my machine without any problems. Never tried a 3D folder yet.

Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think your EF is totally ruined. I believe as you continue to use it, it may flatten a bit more. Maybe not completely though. Just don't send it through if it feels too tight and hard to turn handle on your machine. I have been using SU EFs in my Cuttlebug for several years. Never had a problem. If you have issues with the embossing showing up enough try spritzing your paper with water on both sides and then emboss. Think that tip is on the EF information. I use this method every time I use the 3D folders and sometimes even with some of my regular folders.
The other thing I do is I use A Plate, one B Plate, and then shim with a piece of lightweight cardboard (sometimes 2 pieces-cereal box or cracker box) to get a little more thickness when running it through. Even then it isn't tight but seems to go through nicely. You might need to experiment with your machine.

Last edited by Valeriesc; 06-22-2021 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Valeriesc:
123scrap (06-24-2021), stampwithjoanne (07-07-2021), Teachybaby (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Yikes. That might the worst curl I have ever seen. :( I am sorry. It is a pretty one. I wish I knew an answer for you.

I have certainly used SU folders in my regular big shot and been ok. As you said you have done this before.

Is the folder itself well defined on the inside? A great tip I got here was heavy paper and water misting.

3D folders in general can be problem children imho. They all want their very own sandwich-even within the same brand. I still love them. I dont run them tight at all...I rather run them back and forth a couple times. I broke a Spellbinders one once in the beginning. They have hinges.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
pepperann (06-25-2021), Valeriesc (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 02:23 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 656 Likes on 440 Posts

I use a Big Shot Plus and I have been having some problems with 3D folders and getting the right sandwich. My response is not specific to SU, but as Fionna said, the warping is from the sandwich being too tight. I use to "force" my through but learned my lesson. Now if it gives me resistance, I back it out and try a smaller sandwich. My last 3D was a Simon Says, and I had to take off the platform and the bottom cutting plate and then used a thinner cutting plate than the usual Sizzix plates. That worked and I still got a bit of warp but not bad. Good luck. I think others have suggested ways to "unwrap" you ef and I think there are but I am not familiar with them. I know for cutting plates they say you can heat them and it will help with warping but I don't know if it's really the same for efs. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Valeriesc (06-23-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 08:52 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 176 Likes on 118 Posts

There is a Specialty Plate #154711 Plate 4 that Stampin Up sells for use with 3D embossing folders, since the cutting plate isn’t the right thickness.
I believe this new Plate 4 is the same as the the 3D blue embossing plate 149658 sold a few years ago

I have also heard as mentioned above that it is best to run the hinged edge of embossing folder through the machine first, also heard not to butt the cardstock right up to the very edge of hinge part.

these are my notes taken down for the big shot
To Emboss thick 3D Embossing folders
(only has Stampin' Up! Logo -not Sizzix)
Top- 3D Embossing Folder Plate (blue)
Middle- Dynamic Embossing Folder with cardstock
Bottom- Big Shot Platform Base (do Not use the thin adapter)
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Doris B:
Alice in Md (06-24-2021), DebbieinOC (06-22-2021), shirlb19 (06-22-2021), Valeriesc (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 03:39 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been using SU 3d folders in my Vagabond without any trouble ( do have to make a shim for them). I'm wondering if your "sandwich" was too tight.

I can't stress enough to run the folder through head first. I forgot and a folder broke along the hinge. It still works with some duct tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2021, 01:06 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
By the way...I totally agree on how beautiful that folder is! I saw some lovely results online. I may have to get that one! Not loving the stamp and die...but the folder is beautiful!
I hate to be an enabler (no I don't - who am I kidding?) but the die lines up exactly with the embossing folder. Picture this: you cut the image with the die from pearlescent paper. Then you stamp the shells, and then line it up in the embossing folder to give it some dimension. And it's easy to hand cut just the shells from it, if that's what you want.

I am not a fan of the "friends are like seashells" sentiment; it makes no sense to me. But the rest of it, yum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Bahb (07-09-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 07:44 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doris BView Post
There is a Specialty Plate #154711 Plate 4 that Stampin Up sells for use with 3D embossing folders, since the cutting plate isn’t the right thickness.
I believe this new Plate 4 is the same as the the 3D blue embossing plate 149658 sold a few years ago

I have also heard as mentioned above that it is best to run the hinged edge of embossing folder through the machine first, also heard not to butt the cardstock right up to the very edge of hinge part.

these are my notes taken down for the big shot
To Emboss thick 3D Embossing folders
(only has Stampin' Up! Logo -not Sizzix)
Top- 3D Embossing Folder Plate (blue)
Middle- Dynamic Embossing Folder with cardstock
Bottom- Big Shot Platform Base (do Not use the thin adapter)
I could be wrong (I’m not a demo) but I don’t believe Stampin Up sells the adapter plate any longer. They want you to buy their new machine. Also, like the original poster I just had a 3D folder warp to bumpkiss. I let my demo know that Stampin Up should put in big bold wording next to the 3D folders…..”FOR BEST RESULTS USE OUR MACHINE.” I’m a Stampin Up product fan but perturbed at the moment that I bought (3) 3D embossing folders (one is already warped like the original poster) and now don’t have the right machine and right sandwich pieces. Not a happy customer right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Bahb (07-09-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 08:19 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Question 3D Folders problems

I too struggle with using 3D folders in my Big Shot, especially the SU ones. My question is about my Big Shot...it is 10 or more years old, so is the roller out of alignment or worn out? Anyone have an older machine that may be the problem not the embossing folders? The BS works fine for all the other uses. TIA

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2021, 10:17 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Mine works okay for all brands of 3D including SU, but I found I had to print a sticker with all the different sandwiches and stick it to the shoebox I keep them in, as there isn't one single sandwich that works for them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Cook22:
Bahb (07-09-2021), fionna51 (07-10-2021), wavejumper (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 04:27 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Mine works okay for all brands of 3D including SU, but I found I had to print a sticker with all the different sandwiches and stick it to the shoebox I keep them in, as there isn't one single sandwich that works for them all.
I print a label and stick it to the folder if it is isnt the "usual" thing...and some non 3Ds are like that too.

cardboard shims have earned a home with my big shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Bahb (07-09-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
I could be wrong (I’m not a demo) but I don’t believe Stampin Up sells the adapter plate any longer. They want you to buy their new machine. Also, like the original poster I just had a 3D folder warp to bumpkiss. I let my demo know that Stampin Up should put in big bold wording next to the 3D folders…..”FOR BEST RESULTS USE OUR MACHINE.” I’m a Stampin Up product fan but perturbed at the moment that I bought (3) 3D embossing folders (one is already warped like the original poster) and now don’t have the right machine and right sandwich pieces. Not a happy customer right now.
This is the plate for embossing that SU sells: https://www.stampinup.com/products/specialty-plate

Spellbinders has a plate that works the same way. Theirs is called an embossing plate, but I am not sure that you can purchase it by itself. I have one that came with my Platinum 6 and I use it with my Big Shot Plus for the 3D folders that SU currently sells.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2021, 03:53 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
This is the plate for embossing that SU sells: https://www.stampinup.com/products/specialty-plate

Spellbinders has a plate that works the same way. Theirs is called an embossing plate, but I am not sure that you can purchase it by itself. I have one that came with my Platinum 6 and I use it with my Big Shot Plus for the 3D folders that SU currently sells.

Thank you. Will buy and try and hoping it is compatible with my Cuttlebug or Momenta Freestyle. Am not interested in buying another machine right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2021, 08:34 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I loved that idea until i found the recipe that worked this time does not work the next time, because the folder and the shims are this time compressed enough to make the shims useless for the next time when they are getting compressed even more. I submit the machines are the problem; I am returning the second Platinum in a month, because it doesn't cut well without shims and with even one cereal box shim it is impossible to turn the handle. AYE CARRUMBA, i bought ALL the Tim Holtz 3D Embossing Folders and am afraid to try even one, at this point. In the olden days, when the Cuttlebug was all we had, I didn't have these troubles. But we didn't have 3D Embossing folders and the paper wasn't made in China, back then!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2021, 12:22 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I can imagine that a shim would get compressed, but I rarely use them for cutting and never for embossing. My recipes are all a combination of tabs on the platform, plates and one rubber gasket. It just irks me that the Big Shot and Big Shot Plus seem to require different sandwiches. I primarily emboss in the Big Shot, but larger folders require the Plus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

My 3D folders vary in thickness from 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch. That's a variation almost equal to the thickness of a plate. Needless to say, every type of folder needs a different sandwich.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2021, 03:46 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Received 176 Likes on 118 Posts

So far I have not had any trouble, I am using my old Big Shot with the old style platform with Tab 1 for the Stampin Up! 3D embossing folder (only SU Logo) with old blue embossing plate (same as #4 specialty plate.
If your 3D embossing folder has Sizzix and SU Logo (aka dynamic folders) then its just 1 clear cutting plate to be used not the embossing/specialty plate.

all that being said when I was embossing yesterday (same folder, same sandwich) i noticed the tension when rolling was different, if its not my machine showing its age, it could be that the 2 cardstocks I had were different thicknesses, I already mailed the one card so can't go check now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2022, 06:36 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Problems with 3D embossing folders

I currently have two folders from Altenew that have warped soooo I need to try fixing those.
I only passed both through with one piece of coloured cardstock inside and one rubber mat as neither would go in my Sizzex with any other combo.
I find I need to experiment with each and every one whether they are Altenew, Tim Holtz, Stampin'Up, or Simon Says. I also now crack all my cardstock and dampen before use to try and cut down on having the card tear. I have also found it best to go thin on cardstock to prevent it jamming or refusing to enter the machine. I love the 3D look but it does increase fussy time for a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Carol W (01-06-2023)
Old 02-10-2022, 06:26 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find not all 3D folders even take the same sandwich or work according to inst booklet.
Bot a new Sizzix 3D today. After 15 tries, got a good enough sandwich.
I agree.......3D’s can make a very nice impression even with a loose sandwich.
Reply With Quote Likes