Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-25-2022, 02:31 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Question about SU 3D embossing folders and Big Shot machine

I have TWO big shots and I refuse to buy the new SU machine. I am angry about the trimmer issue and the big shot issue.
I have ruined two 3D embossing folders. I called today and was told that the new 3D folders will not work in the Big Shot. This has NEVER been in the Tuesday updates to SU demonstrators. The agent says I have no choice but to buy the larger of the two new embossing machines ($120 before discount, taxes, and shipping)
Surely there must be a way to use the Big Shot with these new thicker embossing folders! I already bought the Specialty Plate and that doesn't work either.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2022, 04:28 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I’m in the same shoes. NO ONE told me when I bought a 3-D folder I was going to need some super special machine (WHICH I REFUSE TO BUY) before purchasing. I told my demo the company needs to alert buyers in extra large print (online and in their catalogs) what machine is needed for 3-D folders.

I feel duped and I’m still smoldering. My 3-D purchases were about 8 months ago. I’ve stamped for about 20 years so I was pretty confident I could figure out how to use them in 2 machines I have. I broke my Cuttlebug trying (and, warped the 3-D Folder). They also don’t work in my Freestyle. I’m usually not a person that carry’s anger, but I’m still smoldering over this one. I’ve loved Stampin Up products and have significantly bought and utilized their products. I might not purchase again.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2022, 04:46 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts
Default I feel the same

And I told the agent so.
After the trimmer fiasco and then dumping the big shot and then THIS. I feel like they are dishonest. I will never buy another tool from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Paula in GA (10-18-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 07:55 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 317 Likes on 203 Posts

I already had the solution when my 1st 3D folder arrived, I got a stack of the Olfa RM-6x8 GREEN rotary (quilting) mats long ago to use with thin dies. As a result I have been using the same clear plates in my very old BigShot for at least 4 years. Clear plates have no warping or cuts but they are scratched a bit from constant usage.

Sandwich with 3D folders: I use no tabs on (original SU) platform, 1 clear plate, EF/card, green mat. The embossing seems even deeper if I mist the card first, but it is not necessary. Nowadays I am seeing a high $ black mat that seems to be the same thing. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
bobbijl (05-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 12:56 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I only have one of the post-Sizzix SU 3D folders, and I certainly use it in my Big Shot. I have the original multi platform - I use Tab 1 and the blue plate that SU used to sell. The black embossing plate from Sizzix also works, though I would use a shim with it to get the best impression.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2022, 01:10 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

Does this help? 4th option on this page: https://stampingmadly.com/2020/11/23...in-2-machines/
I use the 3D folders in my Big Shot with the standard platform, 3D folder with cardstock and the blue plate (which SU stopped selling when they dropped the Big Shot in favour of their new machine). The page I've linked to says the specialty plate is equivalent to the blue plate. I don't have the specialty plate so can't comment on that.
The blue plate is slightly thicker than a standard cutting plate, so a standard cutting plate plus multiple cardstock shims should also work. The exact number will depend on the cardstock used and your particular machine. Yes it's a pain to have to figure out how many shims, but less of a pain than being told to buy a whole new machine. Which is not true IMO.
I recently bought an Altenew 3D folder, for which I found the sandwich is different again - multi-tab platform with tab 2 plus folder and cardstock plus a standard cutting plate. In other words, different manufactures' "3D" folders are not guaranteed to be the same thickness.
Reply With Quote Likes
FlowersandHearts (01-28-2023)
Old 03-04-2022, 09:13 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I have found that 3D folders vary in thickness. Seriously. Like from under 1/8 inch thick to a full 1/4 inch thick. That difference is the thickness of a full plate!

In your machine, you need to determine what sandwich works with each brand of folder. It will be different for them all. Just don't force the folder through the machine. And I will say that I get the best results with a thinner sandwich.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by fionna51:
Alice in Md (03-07-2022), pepperann (03-14-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 06:26 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I have found that 3D folders vary in thickness. Seriously. Like from under 1/8 inch thick to a full 1/4 inch thick. That difference is the thickness of a full plate!
In your machine, you need to determine what sandwich works with each brand of folder. It will be different for them all. Just don't force the folder through the machine. And I will say that I get the best results with a thinner sandwich.
I agree with all of this, and I store a note in each embossing folder saying what combination of plates and shims I use with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Alice in Md:
Scrapjanny (03-08-2022), swiagal (10-06-2023)
Old 03-08-2022, 03:39 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I do the same thing for the 3D folders, @Alice in Md .
Reply With Quote Likes
Alice in Md (03-08-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 08:26 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Huh. I too have used SU 3Ds in my old big shot. But as was said, 3Ds vary in size and I will do a label for it to tell me what sandwich to use once I figure it out. The ones that really challenge me are some of the 3D Spellbinders because they have an actual hinge that does not love getting rolled.

Oddly though it isn't as if ALL of a brand's 3Ds take the same sandwich. That is annoying.

Are these new SU 3Ds? The ones I have tend to be wide but still fit. How wide are they?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2022, 05:57 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaylestampsView Post
I already had the solution when my 1st 3D folder arrived, I got a stack of the Olfa RM-6x8 GREEN rotary (quilting) mats long ago to use with thin dies. As a result I have been using the same clear plates in my very old BigShot for at least 4 years. Clear plates have no warping or cuts but they are scratched a bit from constant usage.

Sandwich with 3D folders: I use no tabs on (original SU) platform, 1 clear plate, EF/card, green mat. The embossing seems even deeper if I mist the card first, but it is not necessary. Nowadays I am seeing a high $ black mat that seems to be the same thing. HTH.
Thanks for this information. I'm going to try it
Reply With Quote Likes
gaylestamps (03-18-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 01:13 PM   #12  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

you can use SU new 3D folders that are thinner than the Sizzix 3D folders in the bigshot, but you need a different plate, they did sell one for a time that was for the bigshot while SU carried it.

now the plate is called the SPECIALTY PLATE #154711 $10.00 ( it's the gray one)

ETA:
platform ( I don't have tabs, so no tabs)/ 3D ef / Specialty plate is the sandwich

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
FlowersandHearts (01-28-2023)
Old 03-14-2022, 01:17 PM   #13  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

SU will tell you that it's not compatible, but I think they can't legally say it is.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2022, 06:36 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I have tried multitudes of different plates and sandwiches with all of my different 3d folders and like I said above, it is different for every type of 3d folder. For my thickest SU (Sizzix) folders I use the platform, the tan embossing mat from Spellbinders, and the embossing folder. That's it. I use the Platinum 6, but when I used my Big Shot, it was the magnetic platform, the tan embossing mat, and the embossing folder. Those sandwiches are equivalent.

I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2022, 04:08 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

Does anyone remember the long retired SU Texture (Texturz?) plates? They came with a flexible mat and a solid plate, both thinner than a cutting plate. I have been hesitant to buy any of the 3D embossing folders because I have a 12+ year old Big Shot and don’t want another machine. I’m wondering if the old Texturz plates are similar to the new plates. I believe those products were made by Sizzix for SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2022, 05:42 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 317 Likes on 203 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzzzeeeView Post
Does anyone remember the long retired SU Texture (Texturz?) plates? They came with a flexible mat and a solid plate, both thinner than a cutting plate. I have been hesitant to buy any of the 3D embossing folders because I have a 12+ year old Big Shot and don’t want another machine. I’m wondering if the old Texturz plates are similar to the new plates. I believe those products were made by Sizzix for SU.
I do not have a new cutting plate, I worked out how to use 3D with existing. See Post #4 in this thread.

My BigShot is the first that SU released.

I kept (and occasionally use) my Texturz Plates, but have no calipers to measure the thickness. They seem more similar in thickness to a regular EF than to a 3D folder.

But what a great thought, to try the mat!

Last edited by gaylestamps; 03-18-2022 at 05:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 08:01 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

Thank you for pointing me to your earlier post! My Big Shot is also the first that SU released. I will post my results with the Texturz plates if I decide to try a 3D folder. My wishlist has been on hold for several months now with the big spike in gas prices and everything else. Luckily my favorite EF is the Merry Melody one, so hopefully things will turn around before next Christmas!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaylestampsView Post
I do not have a new cutting plate, I worked out how to use 3D with existing. See Post #4 in this thread.

My BigShot is the first that SU released.

I kept (and occasionally use) my Texturz Plates, but have no calipers to measure the thickness. They seem more similar in thickness to a regular EF than to a 3D folder.

But what a great thought, to try the mat!
Reply With Quote Likes
gaylestamps (03-24-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 09:04 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest looking on youtube and typing in the die you have (sizzix embossing, spellbinders, sizzix die cut) and looking at what to use. There are several different ways to use the plates. It might be difficult, but you'll love it in the end. Also, read reviews before buying any machines, as I bought a 3D printer last month and there were different reviews which helped me a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2022, 08:13 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

All of SU's cancelling of different tools is one of the reasons why I don't buy from them anymore. There are enough companies out there that I do just fine without SU.
Reply With Quote Likes