Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTI vs SU! vs ? Cardstock - newbie question

Hi!

I am sorry if this was asked and answered many times before. If it was I'd love a link to the discussion =) I am a newbie cardmaker and having tons of fun with white and kraft cardstock, but I want to branch out into colored c/s. I've looked at many companies such as SU!, PTI, A*Muse, Hero Arts, Gina K, etc. and there are so many options that I am stuck. I like that SU! and PTI have matching ink spots, ribbons and buttons. This is a big deal for me since I use them on many of my cards. So which is better? I dont much care about SU! stamps, but do see myself buying some PTI sets in the future...however, I do not want that to affect my cardstock decision. So any advice would be really appreciated at this point. TIA!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you're in the main "Tool and Product Talk" section (meaning when you see all of the threads listed) on the upper right hand side, there's a "search" function. I typed in "Papertrey and SU" into it and pulled up these three threads in the first two pages.

On PTI vs. Gina K -

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

On PTI vs. SU -

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I think that SU and PTI's paper is equally good. PTI's paper is heavier 110 lb, but SU has more colors available. I stopped buying SU's paper when I started buying PTI stamps. Not because there was anything wrong with SU's paper, but because it was more convenient for me to buy from one place. Also if I bought a certain amount at PTI, I got free shipping. That made PTI paper a better option for me. I also like that PTI has matching ribbon for all of their paper. SU only has matching ribbon for some of their colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you both! I did some searching and found a very recent discussion =)

And Frogwoman....to me the matching ribbon for all paper and free shipping is a very big deal...so thanks for pointing that out =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I use GinaK's white 120# cardstock for my card bases (won't ever use anything else), and SU!'s colors. I have some PTI paper, and although it is really nice, but I don't have any matching accessories to go with it, so it is just collecting dust.
GKD, PTI, and SU all have quality products, so my suggestion is go with the one who's colors you like the best. Even though SU doesn't have accessories in every color, I find I don't need accessories in every color! (But I would probably buy them if they had them!)
Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I have tried them all but mainly I use Gina K Pure Luxury and what I have left of Stampin Up (I'm not replacing whatever I run out of). I have a sample pack of PTI and it is also very nice cardstock.

I like Gina K's because I use mainly Memento ink and hers coordinates with the colors.

I have also started using Hero Arts folded notecards, layering papers, and envelopes. The layering paper is 80# (same weight as SU cardstock) and it is -very- affordable. I also like that the colored notecards are white in the inside.

You also don't have to stick to just one company. Buy the colors you like! I find that I rarely use the matching inks to the cardstock since I color my images with Copics, Prisma pencils, etc. and use lot of Basic Grey 6x6 papers.

Last edited by Cinnistew; 05-27-2010 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I use PTI mostly for my colored cardstock. It is great quality and it is cheaper than SU.
PTI 25 sheets for $5
SU 24 sheets for $5.50

You can also buy PTI
12 sheets $3
50 sheets $9

This is a great feature if you plan ob using less or more of one color and you save $1 by buying the 50 sheet pack.

PTI white cardstock is all I use. It is very heavy and a top cardstock.

NOW SU does have more colors than PTI. I do have SU in colors that I cannot find at PTI.
They are both great cardstocks.

PTI does have 5 different ribbon for each cardstock and I love my matchy ribbon!
SU doe snot have ribbon for every color.
My favorite ribbon is the Satin and Satin dots!

PTI inks are matched to each color but they are craft ink
SU has waterbased ink and it dries right away as th PTI you need to let it sit a fe minutes to dry.

Then GINAK has supperior cardstocks also. You will not be disappointed in buying from GINAk at all.

It really depends on what you want and the colors you want and then decide what company to buy from or you can buy from all 3!

Last edited by meluvstampin; 05-28-2010 at 03:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 03:35 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with comparing cardstock is that, if you want ink to match, you also have to compare inks.

I have yet to find the perfect storm -- coordinating inks and papers with all the features I love.

So I compromise and buy Gina K pure luxury white 120 lb because it is heavy and will do Copics without bleed through. For those of us who want to do some one layer white cards, this is the perfect cardstock.

I only use clear stamps (99%) so I want good ink that works well with clear stamps.

PTI inks are a huge disappointment for me. the company is working on another fix but I won't buy PTI inks anymore, until I'm convinced that the ink gives clean coverage with colors that match on a consistent basis. but I love PTI papers -- the color and quality are fabulous!! UGH.

So I'm using Memento inks with my better PTI inks and PTI paper. Through in other brands as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

The PTI pricing on cardstock is very attractive as are the colors they offer....25 sheets for 5.00 is the best around...and will be even better soon...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use PTI and Gina K cardstock and LOVE them both!! If you are looking for inks to match as well, I love PTI's ink but have had problems with the 2 newest colors. Gina's coordinate with Memento or Vivid inks and I love both of those as well!!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
The problem with comparing cardstock is that, if you want ink to match, you also have to compare inks.

I have yet to find the perfect storm -- coordinating inks and papers with all the features I love.

So I compromise and buy Gina K pure luxury white 120 lb because it is heavy and will do Copics without bleed through. For those of us who want to do some one layer white cards, this is the perfect cardstock.

I only use clear stamps (99%) so I want good ink that works well with clear stamps.

PTI inks are a huge disappointment for me. the company is working on another fix but I won't buy PTI inks anymore, until I'm convinced that the ink gives clean coverage with colors that match on a consistent basis. but I love PTI papers -- the color and quality are fabulous!! UGH.

So I'm using Memento inks with my better PTI inks and PTI paper. Throw in other brands as well!
That is so true! If you have a lot of Memento inks, they match well with Gina K's card stock. They also seem to match well with PTI and the brands you find at the craft store. I'm still boosting my Memento stock, so I haven't compared everything, but one of my girlfriends uses only Memento and PTI and those two seem to match her needs. She actually has most of the original PTI inks and likes those better (except, of course, for the fated lighter colors) than the new ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you ladies! These were all very very helpful! I ordered the PTI sampler pack to see what I think of the colors. I also will try Memento ink based on your recommendations. Once again thank you for being so helpful...I LOVE SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

No votes for Bazzil?! I live and die by Bazzil for my card bases. I love the colours, the textures, and the quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Hi, I just stumbled upon this thread when trying to get some info on Papertrey's policy on returning cardstock...certainly not what you were discussing here. But allow me to add my two cents worth on which paper to use. I have ordered plenty of stamps and paper from both SU and PTI over the years. When I've received a wrong item from SU (twice), they gladly send me the correct item immediately. I don't recall that they even ask for the wrong stuff back, although I would gladly send it.
Just last week, I received the wrong kind of cardstock from PTI...not the color I had ordered. They have no phone number, and a 3-day delay on emails. But finally they did inform me that they would send me the correct cardstock as soon as they receive from me the stuff they sent in error...and that they would happily refund me up to $4 of my first class postage to return it. Well, it's a 50-sheet pack of cardstock, and my cheapest option at the post office (their choice) was $5.89. I opted to spend an additional thirty cents to get it there faster so I could finally be sent the color I had actually ordered. Now I am waiting for the correct cardstock, and for an email response from PTI to tell me if they will go beyond their $4 limit and reimburse me the entire cost of returning the stuff I never ordered in the first place. I am stunned by this policy, and am wondering if anyone else has had this happen. For that reason alone, I would vote for doing business with SU or Gina K, but not PTI...not if that's what it takes to correct an error they made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoodledopView Post
Hi, I just stumbled upon this thread when trying to get some info on Papertrey's policy on returning cardstock...certainly not what you were discussing here. But allow me to add my two cents worth on which paper to use. I have ordered plenty of stamps and paper from both SU and PTI over the years. When I've received a wrong item from SU (twice), they gladly send me the correct item immediately. I don't recall that they even ask for the wrong stuff back, although I would gladly send it.
Just last week, I received the wrong kind of cardstock from PTI...not the color I had ordered. They have no phone number, and a 3-day delay on emails. But finally they did inform me that they would send me the correct cardstock as soon as they receive from me the stuff they sent in error...and that they would happily refund me up to $4 of my first class postage to return it. Well, it's a 50-sheet pack of cardstock, and my cheapest option at the post office (their choice) was $5.89. I opted to spend an additional thirty cents to get it there faster so I could finally be sent the color I had actually ordered. Now I am waiting for the correct cardstock, and for an email response from PTI to tell me if they will go beyond their $4 limit and reimburse me the entire cost of returning the stuff I never ordered in the first place. I am stunned by this policy, and am wondering if anyone else has had this happen. For that reason alone, I would vote for doing business with SU or Gina K, but not PTI...not if that's what it takes to correct an error they made.
I'm not really sure is this is legal or not. THEY sent you the wrong item - it was their error. Either they should send you the correct item and have you keep the one they sent in error, or they should provide you a postage paid return envelope/box, or give you full credit on the cost to ship it back to them. Many craft companies just let you keep the incorrect item and will ship the correct item to you. I would be very upset about having to return the item at any cost to me.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes