Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Organizing embellishments-Theme or color?

I apologize if this question is somewhat off-topic. I have a lot of embellishments for the cards I make and have them organized by what they are such as chipboard or cardstock stickers, ribbons, flowers, pearls and gems. A featured stamp artist in a recent Take Ten said she organizes her embellishments by theme or color. Does anyone use either of these methods to organize and, if so, can you see the benefit of either of these compared to just storing like materials together? Thank you for any thoughts you may have.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Like you I organise by type of embellishments so all my gems are together, as are buttons, and bows. Within the 'type' I sort by size and colour but the 'type' comes first.
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I have buttons, ribbons and flowers organized by color; everything else by type, but by color within the type...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Forgot to mention that items that are specific to a holiday are organized that way

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts

I have always organized embellishments by what they are, ie. ribbon with ribbon, buttons with buttons, etc.. However, lately I've been thinking of trying to organize embellishments by color. I'll be interested to hear other's comments to this question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you for your ideas! I do have separate storage for Christmas acoutrements too. I am liking the idea of keeping the like kinds of items together but separating by color. And separating buttons, ribbon and flowers into color groups is also a tantalizing idea. This is great!

~Nora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2013, 05:38 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I guess the key word is organized, whether it be by type, theme, or color. If you can find it when you need it you are doing it right. That said, I still have trouble making the effort to get out some of that bonus stuff. I gathered up stray die cuts, clip art, stickers, and such that don't have a specific theme and sorted them out by color into photo boxes (cheap Michaels ones) that I keep on top of some book cases. Even with that, I usually don't think to reach for them when I'm completing a card. However, I think they are less likely to get damaged now that they are out of file folders and piles in drawers. Perhaps what I need to do is make that last step in a card's layout by always, always checking a color box or two.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

I like your idea of sorting your embellishments by color and putting them into boxes. Keeping these goodies safe from damage is important too. I just finished re-organizing my stamp room, a very small room, and am trying the concept of having my embellishments closer to eye level and closer to the surface I use for making my cards so I don't forget I have them. Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I organize by what it is and then by color. My ribbon is wound on white fiberboard cut into strips. Then I put them in baskets by colors. The flowers are put in those plastic divided boxes with lids. My brads and eyelets are put into smaller divided boxes like those used in the jewelry making sections. Basically I have way too much craft stuff and some days I think it is taking over the house. At least I can get it out of site in closets and drawers. Does this stop me from buying more? No. I just keep rearranging until I find a space for everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Niki, I am seeing a definite pattern in the majority, if not all, responses to my question preferring organizing by what type of thing it is, then by color. I really like your idea for using strips of fiberboard to wind ribbon on! And organizing by color. I also have too many supplies but there is always something new and wonderful I find to bring home. I like to have a lot of things to choose from so I can find just the right thing. Thanks so much for your ideas!

~Nora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I guess I am one of the "few" but I have the white organizer drawers from Mikes-and have colors for each drawer-although pink and purple share a drawer-etc. But I find that so easy when I am making something to go to the pink drawer for ribbons-buttons-etc. Works for me! (I also have ribbon wrapped on the larger (flat) ribbon reels-which takes up way less room!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts

Sherry ~

I have been thinking of organizing this way. When I want to use a certain color, I don't remember what embellishments I have in that color. It sounds like it works well for you. I might give it a try.

TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #13  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I guess I really don't do either theme or color. For me it's by categories rather than by color or theme. The one exception would be things that are specialized, like Christmas, which I keep together so I guess that's a theme. My categories are things like buttons, rhinestones, ribbon/fiber/yarn, glass beads, flowers, stickers, brads, eyelets, charms, etc.

I can see the lure of putting colors together because then you can see all of the different types of embellishments available for your color scheme, but I usually have an idea what type of embellishment I want and I may have an embellie that I want to use but it's not the right color but I can change the color, so that's why themes/categories work better for me.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 06-22-2013 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Mine are by colour because when I work, I know what colour range I'd like to use but when I look in the box of items with that colour, I might find something I hadn't thought of...looking for a red button but find a red flower. I have a small fishing tackle box for each colour plus a couple for metalic, neutrals, etc.

The other advantage is when travelling I can pick the colour boxes I'm working with and just take those.

My ribbon is wound on chipboard and sorted by colour.

Paper, by colour with 12x12 and A4 in hanging folders, 6x6 in a basket with the offcuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

By color but together. Buttons are sorted into clear plastic jars by color and on a shelf together. Same with flowers. Brads and eyelets are mostly sorted by color and in plastic boxes next to their paper color (roygbiv) in JetMax cubes. Theme brads are together in one box. Rhinestones are sorted by color with several colors together in plastic boxes and those boxes together on a shelf. Ribbon is sorted by color and each color has a drawer in a Crate and Barrel cart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoffeeKatView Post
Mine are by colour because when I work, I know what colour range I'd like to use but when I look in the box of items with that colour, I might find something I hadn't thought of...looking for a red button but find a red flower. I have a small fishing tackle box for each colour plus a couple for metalic, neutrals, etc.
I had everything sorted by color originally for this same reason, but found that I had too many things in too many drawers and I rarely thought in terms of color when it came right down to creating. I would think "I need something round right there", or "this needs some dimension", so I'd go a-lookin' for something that size/shape/fullness. I'm also all about consolidation, so now I have a drawer with dewdrops/rhinestones/pearls, one with brads and eyelets, one with heart/flower/star shaped items (brads, sequins, gems, etc.), one with hinges/frames/ribbon slides, etc.
I still have separate drawers for each color of ribbons or flowers or buttons, as they are bulkier and there are more of them. The ribbons aren't wound on anything - they're just wound into coils (I start by wrapping the end around a pencil, then slide it off) and held together with those little clear "ouchless" hair bands.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

I use those clear elastics too! I searched for ages to find the right thing and when I did it was so obvious.

Back to the OP's question, I think you need to consider how you look for things in order to decide how to store them. Also, how compulsive you are about storing different things together and how annoying you find pulling things in and out of packets. Also, do you need to keep the packets so you can identify things?

I have no problem putting different shapes and sizes of the same colour range in one compartment of my little storage trays. And, I don't have a lot of stuff compared to some. Therefore I have only 8 boxes about 9"x 4" (I have room on my shelf for 2 more). But I know others who wouldn't be able to split a packet of the same brand to do this, or mix rhinestone flowers with rhinestone stars for instance.

My really tiny stuff is in ziplock bags in the boxes but otherwise, I hate having to get things out of a packet, 'cause then I'd have to put them back :oops:

Getting rid of most of the packaging helps cut down on storage space but I am seldom able to say what I used to create a card which can be frustrating for others trying to identify those things.

I think it would be fair to say I have tried 10 different things in the past decade but I'm always willing to try something else when my style and interests change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

One box for Christmas stuff, everything else is sorted by type rather than colour for me. I love pictures I've seen of stuff like ribbons/buttons/flowers sorted by colour, but I don't have enough space for that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoffeeKatView Post
I use those clear elastics too! I searched for ages to find the right thing and when I did it was so obvious.

Back to the OP's question, I think you need to consider how you look for things in order to decide how to store them. Also, how compulsive you are about storing different things together and how annoying you find pulling things in and out of packets. Also, do you need to keep the packets so you can identify things?

I have no problem putting different shapes and sizes of the same colour range in one compartment of my little storage trays. And, I don't have a lot of stuff compared to some. Therefore I have only 8 boxes about 9"x 4" (I have room on my shelf for 2 more). But I know others who wouldn't be able to split a packet of the same brand to do this, or mix rhinestone flowers with rhinestone stars for instance.

My really tiny stuff is in ziplock bags in the boxes but otherwise, I hate having to get things out of a packet, 'cause then I'd have to put them back :oops:

Getting rid of most of the packaging helps cut down on storage space but I am seldom able to say what I used to create a card which can be frustrating for others trying to identify those things.

I think it would be fair to say I have tried 10 different things in the past decade but I'm always willing to try something else when my style and interests change.
I'm right there with you on trying different ways and constantly tweaking "the system" to get a workable arrangement! I don't care who made whatever-it-is that I use on my cards, so I never save packaging, either. I use the little boxes that come in THIS CASE (pic attached) for all of the small things (brads, dewdrops, etc.) I also combine sizes of the same color/type item, and shapes as well, if they're basic like round or square. If they're flowers or hearts, though, they have to have their own box...
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing embellishments-Theme or color?-bead-organizer-case.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes