Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-24-2019, 03:02 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Nuvo Drops

I make the birthday cards for my church so I make a lot of them at one time. I love the Nuvo drops but it seems to me, that no matter how long I let them sit to dry, when I stack the cards together (and they are stacked upright not on top of each other) the Nuvo drops squash down and are flat on top.

Does anyone else have this problem, or can anyone give me a hint as to what I am doing wrong? I usually put them right on the card instead of making them separately and gluing them to the card.

TIA
Judi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2019, 06:50 AM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I have had that happen too so I am interested on thoughts too.

I just did new color sample swatches. I did do bigger than normal drops but I left them alone for several days before putting into the plastic pockets and yet some of them still got a bit flattened. That isnt any particular kind of "pressure" on them-just contact with the plastic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2019, 07:28 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm not a fan of the Nuvo drops. I'm not buying any more, and I've been throwing mine away one by one, as they dry out to a thick goop in the bottle. Ain't nobody got time to fuss with a product that doesn't work right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I really like the Nuvo drops as well and yes I've had that problem. However if I set them aside to dry overnight the drops hold up well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I've let them sit for several days and still have them flatten out. I think I'll slowly get rid of mine too (I only have 3 bottles) and them just stick with glue on pearls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don’t use them often, but when I do the dots are quite small. They’ve been fine - I sent a card to myself to check. But with anything raised, even sequins, I put a piece of packing foam over the card, so that may help. (I started doing that after a really experienced card maker/instructor sent me a card and most of the sequins came off.)

For larger or more raised I use enamel dots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default me too!

I live in the dry climate of AZ and still even if I let them dry for a couple of days, if I stack them flat or standing up with a few in a box .. if there is even a bit of pressure on them for a few days of stacked, I find them flat on the tip. where once was a perfectly lovely dome, it is now flat on tippy top. I tried letting them dry on a ranger slick sheet and on the card themselves, and no different. never tried contacting Nuvo, but just think this is typical.
HOPE we get someone to respond with the answer. misery is in good company, it seems. hahah Enjoy the holidays, Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

It happens with some of the colours. I’ve found that the ones that are thicker and harder to get out of the bottle (copper, ugh) do it less than ones that are more liquid like the soft grey (forget the name). It’s annoying as even the weight of another card or cards standing up but placed next to each other is enough pressure for it to happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happens to me too – I do live in a humid climate but even after drying overnight, the pressure of cards standing up next to each other flattens them. I won't buy any more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have about a half dozen bottles of Nuvo drops and rarely use them. It takes a lot of time to dry then they flatten out so easily. I prefer enamel dots.

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

I have the same problem with Pico Embellisher drops & Nuvo drops. I have much better luck making the drops with Pico Embellisher, but unless they are very small they do flatten stored upright in my to go box. Very disappointing to have to go back to pearls/gems/enamel dots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Interesting. I always thwack my card against the table to make them flatten out a bit. So I guess I'm doing what storage or mailing would do? But thanks for this; now I know to use something else if I'm looking for dimension.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

I have Liquid Pearls, Stickles and Nuvo Drops. The one I have that I've found is the best for keeping a raised dot is the Viva Decor Pearl Pen. I have these in about 9 colours and they really keep their height perfectly! Has anyone else tried these?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzigirl1View Post
I have Liquid Pearls, Stickles and Nuvo Drops. The one I have that I've found is the best for keeping a raised dot is the Viva Decor Pearl Pen. I have these in about 9 colours and they really keep their height perfectly! Has anyone else tried these?
I agree that the Viva Decor Pearl Pens are best for keeping a raised dot, compared to my Stickles. Glad to read this thread so that I don't waste money on Nuvo Drops in the future.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 06:19 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf

two thumbs up for Viva Décor Pearl Pens. I use Nuvo drops as well and have not really experienced the problems you are describing with them flattening. But I do agree they take a while to dry. The one problem I did have was a couple of bottles the drops wouldn't come out. It was just a thick string. I told my LSS the problem and apparently Nuvo had some problems with some of their formulas. She suggested I call Nuvo so I did and they sent me a replacement. It seems to be fine. Also, my LSS said that if Nuvo was shipped in cold weather months it can easily freeze and affect the product. My suggestion would be to contact Nuvo and let them know your displeasure. I'm sure they want to know so they can fix the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had trouble with several brands flattening out, also. I have better luck with Ranger Enamel Accents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2019, 02:18 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
Interesting. I always thwack my card against the table to make them flatten out a bit. So I guess I'm doing what storage or mailing would do? But thanks for this; now I know to use something else if I'm looking for dimension.

My experience is just the top of the "dome" goes flat, like a smushed tip of a meringue cookie. it ruins the whole look of the dot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 08:19 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear it's not only me! I did a craft fair in early December, and because of past experience I let the cards I put drops on sit out for two weeks or more. I used very small drops. I put the cards in clear sleeves (not an overly tight fit), and when I looked a few days later, the tops of the domes had flattened. I've had both of the colors I used for at least a year, so I don't know whether Tonic would be willing to help me out. I love the drops but hate to use them when I'm not sure how they're going to survive.

(on edit) I've considered contacting Alexandra of Hedgehog Hollow about this, since she works with Tonic and has demoed Nuvo Drops more than once.

Last edited by MelanHelen; 12-31-2019 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: add information
Reply With Quote Likes