Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not too impressed with Prisma pencils...

After reading everything on here about the Prisma pencils I decided I *must* try it and see how it compares to everything else. Luckily, I went to Michaels and decided against buying the entire kit, I opted to get one pencil and all the needed supplies to go with (Gamsol & paper stumps) and go home and try it before I spent the $$. I ended up doing a side by side comparison with the main watercoloring techniques and found that overall, I really wasn't that impressed with the Prisma pencils....they are brighter than the SU pencils but it's a lot more work and the end result is not all that blended. This is just my opinion, but if anyone was interested in the side by side, I posted it here http://stampinfrenzy.blogspot.com. Just some more information, everyone has their preference of coloring so please no blasting me because I'm not on the prisma bandwagon. LOL Just thought I would share my findings.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a tough time getting the Prismacolors to blend when I first bought them. Had to practice for quite awhile. I use both watercolor technique (with ink) and Prismas. Depends on which "look" I want.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a full set of Prismacolors (I was an art major) and I prefer the SU Pure color pencils, at least with the odorless mineral spirits. They seem to have less wax and more color in the lead. If I need more colors, I pull out my Crayola colored pencils.

Now, if I was drawing on cold press illustration board, it might be another story...
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinFrenzy
After reading everything on here about the Prisma pencils I decided I *must* try it and see how it compares to everything else. Luckily, I went to Michaels and decided against buying the entire kit, I opted to get one pencil and all the needed supplies to go with (Gamsol & paper stumps) and go home and try it before I spent the $$. I ended up doing a side by side comparison with the main watercoloring techniques and found that overall, I really wasn't that impressed with the Prisma pencils....they are brighter than the SU pencils but it's a lot more work and the end result is not all that blended. This is just my opinion, but if anyone was interested in the side by side, I posted it here http://stampinfrenzy.blogspot.com. Just some more information, everyone has their preference of coloring so please no blasting me because I'm not on the prisma bandwagon. LOL Just thought I would share my findings.
Thank you for posting the comparisons in your blog. I found the discussion of the various techniques very informative and helpful. There are so many different techniques and it's good to know how they compare.

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just a little idea here- my humble opinion. The blending stumps that they sell at Michael's are from China. I don't think they work very well. The ones from tawain work sooooo much!!! It's an unbelievable difference to me. I would suggest you purchase one blending stump from Tawain. I got my at Hobby Lobby but they should have them at art stores and other online retailers and just give it one more little try. When I first tried it, I felt the same way as you until I heard about the stump issue. It really did make a difference for me.
BTW, your blog is really nice and your cards are beautiful!
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for posting this and doing the comparisons on your blog. I was planning on going to Hobby Lobby on Friday and buying the large set. Now this gives me something to think about.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Where the stump is made really does make a difference in how the bending comes out...the ones made in Taiwan give far superior results.
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

Paper makes a difference also...you need to try different papers until you find one that works...I like the Georgia Pacific White cardstock from Walmart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I love the prisma colored pencils. A friend showed me how to pull the color in from the outside in in small circular motions. It took a little practice but once I got the technique down I love the results of rich color. You can also use just an outline around your stamped image and pull the color in that way too verses blending colors together. I say give it one more try you might be surprised and like your prisma colored pencil. I am a big fan of water color pencils myself,I tend to grab them first.We tend to be creatures of habit I think.
Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

I agree that the cardstock makes a difference. You need a smooth finish paper, like the SU Whisper White or the Georgia Pacific white. I personally prefer the stumps from China to the ones made in Taiwan.

However, my first thought when I read the original post was, "I wonder if she was using blue." Sure enough, when I clicked on the blog, there it was - blue. In my experience with the magic colored pencil technique over the last 3 years, I consistently have a more difficult time with the blue pencils than with other colors. I'm not scientifically inclined enough to know for sure exactly what it is, but I think it's something with the blue pigment. I just always have an easier time blending browns or reds or any other colors.

I realize that might sound really crackpotty, but you're welcome to check out the links below to two of my cards.

Just one more cookie...
This is the most recent card I've done with this technique.

And here is the first card I ever made with this technique:
Yippee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked out your blog, and I have to say I've never seen a Prismacolor pencil like the one you've shown. All the ones I've ever seen and used are a solid color all the way to the end, with no gray band. I know some people have purchased the wrong pencils and that has been the problem.

I do know what you're saying about the larger area, it is a bit tricky to get the color just right, but please don't give up with one try with one pencil! This is not a technique one can "master" in one shot, you really need to practice and give it a good try. It took me multiple tries to get something I liked. Don't give up just yet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurakj
I just checked out your blog, and I have to say I've never seen a Prismacolor pencil like the one you've shown. All the ones I've ever seen and used are a solid color all the way to the end, with no gray band. I know some people have purchased the wrong pencils and
that has been the problem.

I do know what you're saying about the larger area, it is a bit tricky to get the color just right, but please don't give up with one try with one pencil! This is not a technique one can "master" in one shot, you really need to practice and give it a good try. It took me multiple tries to get something I liked. Don't give up just yet
Individual Prismacolor pencils have the UPC bar code on one end like that, since they're not in a box with the code printed on it.

Laura made an excellent point in the second paragraph of her post. Practice honestly does help with this technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, I'm so amazed at how much insight I got from this one little post & blog. I will let you know that I used SU's ultrasmooth cardstock for this "test". Also, I'm now very curious about the different pencils. I opted to buy only one (actually two, but didn't get around to using it yet) because the sets are quite pricey and I have so many coloring options in my craft world already I actually took the time to talk myself into "testing" them before jumping in...which is SO not like me! I must have everything...NOW! LMBO. I got the number that matched up on the list posted on here, made sure it was a Premiere Pencil, not any of the other types made by Prisma. So I think I will try to find a taiwan paper stump, I did get mine from the art store but I checked the package and sure enough, made in China. I will also try using a brown or red color (I got a light & dark blue) and go from there. Thank you all SO much for your insight...I hope my blog was just as insightful for others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

OH! And one more positive note about this technique....it doesn't affect the paper like any of the other techniques, the paper stays smooth no matter how many times you pull the color....I did enjoy that aspect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

There is one other thing I like to do with my Prismas - use the colorless blending pencil... it is with the other pencils and you sharpen it like a pencil, but it does something rather magical in MHO to blend the colors as well as intensify them!! try it - it only costs abt $1.50 and you can get it whereever you get single Prisma pencils... I LOVE IT!! it's just something else to do with them!!

Lovin' Being a Stampin Up! Demonstrator!!
Slowly adding to my gallery! Would love to know what you think!https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=60838
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by yytx
There is one other thing I like to do with my Prismas - use the colorless blending pencil... it is with the other pencils and you sharpen it like a pencil, but it does something rather magical in MHO to blend the colors as well as intensify them!! try it - it only costs abt $1.50 and you can get it whereever you get single Prisma pencils... I LOVE IT!! it's just something else to do with them!!
I agree. Being a decorative painter I've been taking colored pencil classes and the colorless blender is very good. It's just the same wax as the pencil, just with no color and it blends great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 04:28 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm pretty much a novice at magic colored pencils but the reason is because I hate those stumps. I tried it with Fantastix and liked it much better. And, I too love the colorless blender.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 04:53 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sooo much good info here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 05:22 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Just another voice here saying "Try it again!" It took me a long time go get "decent" at this technique. However, when I first did it, I could see that it was gonna be WAY COOL!

The thing I *love* about this technique is the depth of colour you can get. Buy a few shades of the same colour (like two different colours of brown, for example), and try that. Use the light colour first, blend it, then go back in and add some of the darker colour for shading, and blend that as well. It's amazing!

I'm putting the colourless blender on my list!

Great post, by the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I'd love to see what the results are after you try out the suggestions. I love seeing side by side comparisons- thanks for blogging this little test
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 07:57 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Just a thought about the price on the prisma pencils. Use a 40% off coupon at JoAnn fabrics or Micheals. I love using coupons!!
Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Okay, I have to jump in and say PLEASE give it another try. Several reasons prompt me to use this technique the most. One is the fact that the paper never pills nor bubbles. You can really layer colors for beautiful effects as well as add shadows beautifully. I attached a rose picture I did yesterday. I guess I'm a control freak on some things and I do love the control of the color that you have with this technique that you don't have with watercolor (which, BTW, is the reason many love watercolor!).

The quality of your paper stumps is a critical part of the whole scheme! I used the China stumps for a year and scrubbed and continually redipped to get any results. When I got the Creative Mark stumps from Jerry's Artarama, the difference was IMMENSE!!!!!! The stumps hold the gamsol so much longer and blend so much easier that it is almost like a new technique.

You can do the technique on rougher paper but it is more difficult to blend the colors.....more scrubbing.

I also love this technique for another reason..........car coloring!! When we travel, I take my pencils, gamsol and stumps and use a lap board with those items velcroed at the top (I use a plastic frozen grape juice can for current project pencils). I put my gamsol in a dauber bottle that I got at Michaels. Since you have control the bumps of the road don't make much difference (unlike when I traveled with watercolor stuff). DH says I never see the scenery! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Not too impressed with Prisma pencils...-cropped-rose.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Another thing.........on your blog with your comparisons. The last sample was completely colored in. If that is the look you are going for, then PP and gamsol wouldn't please you. BUT, if you notice on my leaves on the rose picture, I didn't color all the way in but left uncolored areas for light.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 08:05 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Another thought......with watercolor if you want to layer you colors, you wait for each layer to dry.......no waiting with pp and gamsol.

Sorry to run on so!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 09:04 AM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

One more suggestion… you said on your blog (which was wonderful) that you had to drench the paper stump with Gamsol… when you try the Tawain stumps you only need a tiny bit on your stump, no need to drench. ;)

When I first tried this technique I absolutely hated it, I couldn’t get it to blend and look good. I kept practicing and now I love it. Don’t give up just yet! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi
One more suggestion� you said on your blog (which was wonderful) that you had to drench the paper stump with Gamsol� when you try the Tawain stumps you only need a tiny bit on your stump, no need to drench. ;)

When I first tried this technique I absolutely hated it, I couldn�t get it to blend and look good. I kept practicing and now I love it. Don�t give up just yet! :p
I have looked everywhere and can't find any taiwan stumps!!! Joann's, Michaels, Beverly's, local art supply store.....I really hate to order online for a $2 item and pay a ton in shipping. So, this part of my testing just might have to be a bust.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 09:48 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I have looked everywhere and can't find any taiwan stumps!!! Joann's, Michaels, Beverly's, local art supply store.....I really hate to order online for a $2 item and pay a ton in shipping. So, this part of my testing just might have to be a bust.
Well, you could do what I did.......I offered to let some of the SCSers go in with me on the stump order from Jerry's. Ended up with a 158 package order! You could limit it to the first 10 people. That wouldn't be too much to send out (much better than the 75 people I had!...LOL).

The Creative Mark stumps are worth every penny and the pack at Jerry's has 12 stumps in it. The #3 or #4 size are great. I assign a color family to a stump to avoid color contamination. I had 12 colors I wanted to keep separate so it was perfect. I use one end for dark colors in that color family and the other end for the lighter colors in that family.
Red, pink, orange, yellow, green, blue green, blue, purple, grey, brown, flesh and black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much for the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Question

Quote:

Have you tried Hobby Lobby? That's where I got all my Prisma stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

For those of you who are interested.....I will be putting in another order for stumps from Jerry's. It is open until the 20th. See my post in the Buy/Sell forum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2007, 06:11 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by parknslide
Paper makes a difference also...you need to try different papers until you find one that works...I like the Georgia Pacific White cardstock from Walmart.
this paper works like a charm! love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: imprisoned temporarily in my own house! arrrgh!!&^%$#@

Quote:

Originally Posted by yytx

I also use these, less messy and work than the OMS and I believe it is the same concept
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2007, 04:35 AM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

But that's not the only technique you can do with Prismas. I do something I call "Painterly Pencils" below is a picture of what it looks like. Tutorial on my blog:

http://stampspaperscissors.typepad.c...tor_clips.html

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 07:15 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
But that's not the only technique you can do with Prismas. I do something I call "Painterly Pencils" below is a picture of what it looks like. Tutorial on my blog:

http://stampspaperscissors.typepad.c...tor_clips.html

Jan, you're stuff is gorgeous! I hope to be as talented as you one day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcmarroquin
Jan, you're stuff is gorgeous! I hope to be as talented as you one day.

I meant to say your stuff is gorgeous. Wish I had an edit button.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, I took everyone's suggestions and spent WAY too much money, which I was trying to avoid but who am I kidding.....we're stampers, we spend every dime we have on stamps and crafts!!! LMBO!

Anyhow, I made a large purchase from Jerrysartorama which included all the SU matching colors for the prisma pencils and the creativemark stumps. My big box arrived on my doorstep yesterday and much to my disappointment, the stumps were "made in china". Luckily, Gina K has offered to send me a taiwan stump so I can really put this test to rest. :mrgreen: Thanks Gina and thank you ALL for this great open discussion on the how to's, pro's, con's and ?'s we've been able to share together. Great resources, aren't we? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

I'm excited to see what you decide, once you try this again. I'm new to the Prismacolors, and am still researching them, so this has been very helpful. Thanks so much for the side-by-side on your blog! And Jan, as usual- it's gawjus!
Reply With Quote Likes