Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #161  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovellView Post
If I see the store owner at my LSS today, I'll see if she might have some suggestions for you, okay? I want you to love your machine!
Thanks, I appreciate it. I really want to love my machine too, which is why I haven't returned it yet. It was my Christmas present from DH so I really want to keep it and now I'll have to save up for all these new design cards too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #162  
Compulsive Stamper

I was using my Slice last night with Basic 1 to cut the word dream in 2" size. I wasted 3 tries before I even got something that slightly resembled the word. I was ticked since I had previously cut the word smile on the same paper with no trouble. My machine was plugged in while using so I don't feel it was a "charge" issue - I think it just doesn't cut right. I am sad to see so many issues with the machine since it was so long awaited and touted as the greatest thing yet for scrapper/stampers. Bummer :(

I am also in a Yahoo group for the slice and the owner contacted MM asking for a rep to offer some feedback to questions by following the group - we got a generic use the www.whyslice site. Phooey on that ... there isn't a forum there for feedback and addressing issues and offering suggestions that would be useful to everyone who owns one it is all handled through private trouble tickets - how is that helpful to the other users?

I am frustrated with my Slice right now also - wonky shapes, words that don't cut right, glue that is not really good for sticking ... I hope the Slice starts getting more positive feedback all around.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #163  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'd love a link to the Yahoo group! The Basic 1 design card has known design flaws. I just make a habit of cutting shapes and sizes I haven't used before on scratch paper before I waste any precious patterned or "good" cardstock. I also know this is a new machine and it's going to have bugs. We just need to be patient while they work them out. Yes, it would be nice if they would publicly acknowledge the issues but I just don't know if that will happen. I'm hoping that store owners going to CHA will provide some feedback and share what they've heard when they get back. I'm sure many of them will give MM an earful about the issues their customers have had. Why would they (the stores) want to carry more cartridges if their customers are getting frustrated using what they have?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #164  
Rubber Obsessor

I do the same thing before cutting on my "good" paper. Just cut on plain white copy paper first and you'll know what you'll get. I did play with most of my cartridges today and only had "issues" with the Basic 1. And if you go down to 1" to 1 1/2" size, you have the least crisp designs BUT anything above about 2" ROCKS! I am SO in love with this little machine!! I cut letters for cards in 3 different sizes, something the Cuttlebug just can't do.

One thing I did find out is make sure your machine is sitting stable on the mat. I had mine a little off center and it left part of the image uncut. And it seriously did NOT want to cut through DCWV cardstock (with the white core) as it was too thick and I didn't want try to adjust the blade but cut out a intricate 3" flower from the Noteworthy cartridge with 16 petals and it came out AMAZING!

Hopefully MM will stand by the "dicey" ones and provide a little more customer support.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #165  
Die Cut Diva

I have a question -- if you are cutting an entire word that isn't one of the pre-made words, do you have to move the piece of paper each time? What I mean is if I am doing thanks I need to move the piece of paper to cut each letter right? It also seems that it always cuts in the lower left corner. Is that right?

Mine appears to be cutting fine so far, knock on wood.

Have a super sparkly day!
My Gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #166  
Glitter Queen

Default Slice Yahoo Site

I, too, would like the link to the Yahoo Slice Yahoo site.
TFS,

June
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #167  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hquinzelleView Post
I have a question -- if you are cutting an entire word that isn't one of the pre-made words, do you have to move the piece of paper each time? What I mean is if I am doing thanks I need to move the piece of paper to cut each letter right? It also seems that it always cuts in the lower left corner. Is that right?

Mine appears to be cutting fine so far, knock on wood.
Yes, you would want to position your Slice each time you cut a new letter. You can see on your display screen, where it will start cutting. There is a little circle with an 'x' in it to show its starting point. You will make the most of your paper if you reposition each time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #168  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

I got Fa La La, and continue to have cutting problems........I've watched the online videos to trouble shoot and nothing is working......it either doesn't cut at all or cuts but not all the way through. I've tried adjusting and homing and nothing works. My machine is plugged in all the time as well when I use it. I'm so frustrated with it right now!
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #169  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations - I just got FaLaLa today! I'll have to try it tomorrow and let you know. I have used the Fall Back to School cartridge with success (though I haven't tried all the shapes or letters yet!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #170  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Link for Yahoo group

Here is the link for the Slice Yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheSliceUsersGroup/

It is a great source of information, and I love that people are sharing all their tips and tricks : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #171  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bensarmomView Post
I got Fa La La, and continue to have cutting problems........I've watched the online videos to trouble shoot and nothing is working......it either doesn't cut at all or cuts but not all the way through. I've tried adjusting and homing and nothing works. My machine is plugged in all the time as well when I use it. I'm so frustrated with it right now!
I have not had any problems with the Falala cartridge but I haven't tried all shapes nor all sizes of the designs on that cartridge. Are you using the small glass cutting mat or the larger one? If you are using the smaller, is your Slice squarely on the cutting mat? I assume you are on a flat surface. Is the blade moving and it's just not cutting into the paper? If that's the case, it sounds like your blade is not adjusted properly. You say you have tried adjusting but maybe your are raising the blade up rather than lowering it down? Have you tried replacing your blade? Are you holding the machine in place while it cuts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #172  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovellView Post
I have not had any problems with the Falala cartridge but I haven't tried all shapes nor all sizes of the designs on that cartridge. Are you using the small glass cutting mat or the larger one? If you are using the smaller, is your Slice squarely on the cutting mat? I assume you are on a flat surface. Is the blade moving and it's just not cutting into the paper? If that's the case, it sounds like your blade is not adjusted properly. You say you have tried adjusting but maybe your are raising the blade up rather than lowering it down? Have you tried replacing your blade? Are you holding the machine in place while it cuts?
I have the original glass cutting mat that came with the machine. I got the machine two days ago but changed the blade anyway. I have tried starting with the blade all the way in, and turning it 1/4 turn, as well as adjusting a bit more, and a bit more, and a bit more with no luck. I am on a flat surface, I hold the machine and have gone from adjusting a tiny bit, at a time until the blade almost comes out and it still doesn't cut.
Then there were times where it cut out noel at 2" then at 3" it cut all but the e in noel. I had times where it would cut out a 3" heart and I'd replace the paper and ask for another 3" heart and it wouldn't cut at all. There doesn't seem to be any consistency with the cutting. Except now where it won't cut at all................I put it away for the evening and will try again tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #173  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I'm not sure that I helped you at all! LOL. Hopefully I'll be more help once I start teaching my classes. I'm sure trouble shooting issues will come up as everyone is adjusting to their machine. The LSS store owner will be there to help me since she has so much experience with the Slice now. I'll be sure to take note of the issues so I can try to help you guys here. My first class will be this coming Friday so I hope you can hang on for just a little bit longer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 05:07 AM   #174  
Compulsive Stamper

here is the link to the group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheSliceUsersGroup/

I agree I do hope they address the issues one way or another.

I did use a scrap cut the first time and it cut fine then I went to cut the second one and it was all wonky then and for the next couple also before I got one that semi resembled the word.

EDITED TO ADD:

LOL now I read the rest of the notes and see the link was already posted he he

Also Novell I hope your classes go well - share the results if you will for us to ohhh and ahhh over

Last edited by kc_froglady; 01-04-2009 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #175  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a picture of my class project posted on my blog. I know I have 11 people signed up for it. I don't know that I'll be able to post pics of the rest of the pages because the sample was made for the LSS and they 'own' it. I'm excited and nervous at the same time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #176  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

novell, i just wanted to drop in and say thank you for your dedication to getting us some answers on our SLICE issues. i hope your class goes well and can't wait to hear anything you glean from it!!! (we're desperate!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #177  
Glitter Queen

Ok, I was loving this little gadget until I got to several things on the basic cartridge that just weren't cutting right (circles for one). And this adhesive in the squeeze bottle is a joke. The tube that came with the unit was dried up upon opening it. So I purchased a new bottle at AC Moore and when I got home, it too was dried up.

I have submitted a support ticket to MM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #178  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi, Mel. Yes, the Basics 1 cartridge has known problems and the glue apparently has been affected by the cold weather. Try Tombow Mono-Multi (the green lids) or Alene's Tack It Over and Over in the meantime. Be sure to allow your glue to dry thoroughly on the glass mat before using. It should be dry but tacky and allow you to remove your items after cutting. If they stick the glue wasn't dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #179  
Hardware Hotshot

For you slice owners, I have some of the cartridges for sale. (less than retail) on the buy sell board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #180  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, ladies. Here is the main suggestion I received: Once there is a problem, the problems seem to compound. Try charging your machine overnight. In the morning, reset the blade all the way up and start with 1/4 turns until it starts cutting. There is a sensor for the blade. If it's down too far, it will stop cutting. You have to go back to square one to fix it.

If this does not help, you may want to look into exchanging your machine. If you cannot do so at the store you purchased it from, contact MM and let them know what steps you took to troubleshoot your machine and ask them to exchange it for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #181  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi

I tried different designed from different cartriges with shapes from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 sizes as it is the small sizes which seems the problem. All my circles shapes (ex: buttons) are not round at all. They look that they has been badly hand cut. Even the 3 inch circle is not completly round.

I called Making Memories few days ago as I was having this problem with the Basic1 cartridge and they told me they was working on this issue and the problem was only with this cartridge BUT now I found that it is pretty much the same problem with the Animal Crackle cartridge as this one also have the Button shape and all of them which has the same issue.

I do not know what to do. I bough this machine especially to do small cutting as I am a card maker.

Also I have read somewhere that they will release 12 new cartridge for the end of January. Is it right? does anybody heard something about it?

Happy new year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #182  
Compulsive Stamper

Yes, I am a card maker also and I wanted this for small items and am finding the results the same small items DO NOT cut well on more than just the Basic 1 card. I do hope the issues are resolved and whatever trhe resulting corrections are be made available to all of us who bought the product already.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #183  
Glitter Guru

I do mostly cards, as well, and if the Slice can't cut the smaller shapes properly, then it's of little use to me.

I read on the Slice website that they've got lots of new cards coming out. I love the idea of new designs, but I hesitate to sink any more money in a product that I'm not thrilled about.

I think I'm going to return all my Slice stuff (I have everything but the tool kit and the 12x12 mat) and set the money aside for all the new Nestie sets coming out this year! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #184  
Kookie Creator

I decided I better open a support ticket, so I just did so, we will see what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #185  
Matboard Maniac

MM was aware of problems with the smaller shapes on the Basics 1 card from the very beginning. I don't know what they plan to do about that, but they've always had marvelous cs, so if you've registered your Slice with them, either through email or phone call, they may find some way to rectify.

A problem with the Noteworthy card: the slots in the ribbon tags are wonky - one slot small; one slot much larger. Looks awful.

That said, I haven't encountered anything else that's cutting really weird. The smallest labels on the Noteworthy card cut perfectly!

Yes, coming out with 12 more designs....and while I've had fun with my Slice, and I haven't had as many problems as some of you, I'm not going to be in a hurry to buy up a bunch more design cards.

Molly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #186  
Stazon Splitcoast

From what I understand, the original designers of the original machine are working with MM to resolve the issues. I'm not sure why this information is not more public but it does make me feel more confident that there are efforts being made to make this a better tool. I'm sure MM has had to sink a lot of money into this machine and that it's in their best interest to get the problems resolved. I'm sure it's not a quick fix, either. Like I said before, I sure hope the store owners give feedback to MM at CHA because if I were one, I'd have to be convinced to carry more cartridges based off what is the current feedback. Seems like it's either working fantastically or not at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #187  
Glitter Guru

Well, I spent time with my Slice this afternoon (had to wait for the kids to go back to school!) and it's going back to the store. The shapes are just not as nice as what I get with other cutters I have, and even the words don't cut well at the smaller sizes (which I need for cards & tags).

My concern is that there's no USB dock or anything like that which would allow MM to do updates/fixes over the web. What if the problem is with the machine? What if the cutting radius simply won't allow the machine to cut round circles and square corners? What if it's something else that's related to the machine itself and not necessarily the design cards? How is MM going to make the machine better when its sitting in my craft room?

I can see them sending out new cards to those who register, but new machines??? I might as well wait for the next generation Slice. Maybe that one will be as the original inventors intended and allow us to make our own design cards on our computers.

I'm feeling as though I should take all this Slice stuff back while the receipts are still good. If a Slice II comes out at some point, I'll give it a look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #188  
Embossing Fanatic

Talking Slice issues

I just wanted to point out to card makers that although some people are having difficulty with the little sizes, it is actually the larger sizes if you want to make Nestie style mats.

I wouldn't like the Slice to be my only option - I do have some punches and CB dies/Nesties. However, I think the letters are a very economical option and have made use of many of the shapes - I've only had my Slice a couple of weeks and I have the 3 Basic cards and Noteworthy.

I've had some trouble with flourishes, but intend to keep playing with them. Some work perfectly and some just disintegrate. I do home the blade each time I change the card or if I'm having any difficulty with a pattern.

As others have discovered, it can help to adjust the blade to 'finger tight' with the little tool and turn 1/4 turn back. Home the blade again.

The Slice will never produce the same results as a die cut such as Nesties, it is like comparing apples and oranges. The Slice does have it's own place though along with all the other tools I love to collect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 03:22 AM   #189  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't understand how this machine took so long to be released and they didn't know that it wouldn't cut circles, scallops, and other shapes properly.

Is anyone able to cut perfect circles? I bought most of the design cards but I've only opened Basic 1 and Animal Crackers so far because I haven't decided if I'm taking the machine back yet. I've had problems cutting almost every shape I've tried on BOTH cards, especially the circles. Does every machine have this problem or only some of them?

I'm also wondering if anyone has gotten a replacement machine from MM? All they've told me is that they're working on the problem and make sure I register my machine so they can contact me once the problem has been fixed. They did get back to me quickly but I was not happy with their response. Terribly frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #190  
Stampin' Fool

Well I am very excited, I got my Slice today! I was frantically going through bunches of shapes to see how well it was cutting after reading all the nightmares.
Here is the verdict with my machine. It cuts great except for flowers and circles. lol Some of the petals on the flowers are not uniform. And the circles are wonky. But so far everything else has been great. I did contact them and have a ticket number but I am over all very happy with the machine. I can keep my circle punches for circles and I have nestabilities. And some of the flowers are okay. I just depends on the flower. So maybe I will use some and not others? Not sure yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #191  
Pearl-ExPert

what brand paper cuts the best? Is stampin up too heavy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #192  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjacobs150View Post
what brand paper cuts the best? Is stampin up too heavy?
It cuts up to 0.5mm. I really like how it cuts patterned paper and Bazzill. I think SU is a little thick but it will cut it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #193  
Pearl-ExPert

I can't remember which card it is on, but I cut a scallop shape with the circle cut out in the middle and it cut very nicely, the circle and the scallops looked pretty good (not nesties good though).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #194  
Mad Swapper

Ladies,
My husband wrote an email to Tinnus technology .. the ones who designed this. My hubby says it's an easy software fix and wrote up so fixes in his email to the he thinks will work.... The emailed back 20 minutes later. He is going to run a beta software test on it I will let you know how it goes. The main problems they are having are with LOOSE mechanisms inside the caster(accounting for not cutting) I will get back as soon as he does it. Need to wait till we put our 2 year old to bed. I was all set to get my money back. But this company was awesome at response and on a sunday too. I wish Making Memories was like this

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #195  
Hardware Hotshot

How wonderful is that Colleen!! Your husband is a KEEPER!! :grin:
I can't wait to hear back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #196  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cllnView Post
Ladies,
My husband wrote an email to Tinnus technology .. the ones who designed this. My hubby says it's an easy software fix and wrote up so fixes in his email to the he thinks will work.... The emailed back 20 minutes later. He is going to run a beta software test on it I will let you know how it goes. The main problems they are having are with LOOSE mechanisms inside the caster(accounting for not cutting) I will get back as soon as he does it. Need to wait till we put our 2 year old to bed. I was all set to get my money back. But this company was awesome at response and on a sunday too. I wish Making Memories was like this
BRAVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Wow! GREAT job! Can't wait to see what happens, your husband has the adoration of lots, and I do mean lots, of ladies all across this country!

Thank you so much, I am going to send your post to the Slice users group on Yahoo, I know they will be very excited to hear what is happening.

Are you signed up for the Yahoo group? If not, please make sure to sign up there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheSliceUsersGroup/

Again, thanks for all the work, I emailed Tinnus last week and never got a response (though in all fairness my email was a complaint and no offer of a solution : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #197  
Glitter Guru

The main problems they are having are with LOOSE mechanisms inside the caster(accounting for not cutting)

So are all the crummy machines going to be recalled? Fixing loose mechanisms sounds like something that has to be done by MM, not a customer fix. And if they send directions to do-it-yourself, with my luck I'd attempt to make the fix and they'd say I voided my warranty.

I'm still glad I returned mine. Sounds like the best case scenario for me was going to be waiting for a recall and a new machine, anyway. Now I'll just wait till the better machines come out and try the Slice again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #198  
Mad Swapper

We ran the test last nite on the basic 1 card and then calibrated the machine. The circles and scallops look 90 % better. It still needs to be tweeked more, but I am willing to wait and see.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 05:33 AM   #199  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cllnView Post
We ran the test last nite on the basic 1 card and then calibrated the machine. The circles and scallops look 90 % better. It still needs to be tweeked more, but I am willing to wait and see.
Wow, I can't wait until we are able to get the fix as well, really like the Slice, but avoid using any of their circle designs because they end up looking like a child cut them. Please keep us up to date on your improvements!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 05:34 AM   #200  
Mad Swapper

I have no idea if they are going to recall some of the machines. I didn't ask as it was cutting fine and hubby knew right away what kind of issue it was. Thank god for brainy men. I would think the recall might come from MM . But they don't seem to be telling anyone anything. I will try to find out if they will be recalled when my hubby talks to Tinnus tonite after work. It really does seem like this is going to be an easy fix. Just my opinion

Reply With Quote Likes