Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nestabilities question and poll

I don't own any nestabilities, although I have used them a few ties when with a friends. They are pretty pricey and another member give me some ideas where I could get a coupon towards the purchase of a set.

My questions are thes; For instance, there is a large oval set and a small oval set. What had been said to me before in the past was that using the two nesties closest to each other would give a 1/4" border between the two. In order to get a 1/8" border, that is where the two sets come in because mixing and matching allows you to get a tighter boundary.

Is this information correct?

Which sets did you end up buying first?
Which set is your "MUST HAVE?
Which set is your FAVORITE?
Are there any sets you bought and then rarely used?

Thanks
Julie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

Nesties have become an essential for me. I started with ovals, scalloped ovals, circles, and scalloped circles first. Then, I went to squares and some fancy shapes. I do love them all, but use the fancier designs less frequently. I use ovals the most by far. Hope you are able to get a few to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Yes, to get a narrow mat you would need two sets, not just one.
Most used for me - ovals, circles and Labels 8.
I also use the little tag ones a lot for sentiments.
There are just so many labels, I don't think I'd ever want them all, but I'm glad I went for Labels 10 - it makes a beautiful shape to cut a card base from, like this example: FLLCAPR11 Spring Peacock by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Hi, I started purchasing my Nesties before any of the labels came out, so the selection was much more limited.

My recommendation is to pick 2 basic shape sets (circles, ovals, squares, or rectangles) and go crazy on the labels. The labels sets have made layering so much fun. Now the small versions for the Label sets are starting to come out too. I sort steer away from the Shapabilities since I feel that they have more specfic uses. Scrapbookingalley has some great prices. Average set costs about $17 and they also have the complete sets for $52. I now see they have a combined set of 4 labels which means each set is about $13 (you save $16 over purchasing individually).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default LOVE THEM!!

Which sets did you end up buying first? in this order: scalloped circles small/standard circles/standard ovals/fancy labels
Which set is your "MUST HAVE? scallop circles small
Which set is your FAVORITE? fancy labels
Are there any sets you bought and then rarely used?
no. i only have those few, so i love all of them. but the one i want now is labels eleven.

What turned me on to them was Gina K Designs. I watched her videos and she uses them alot to showcase her focal image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought the small and large scalloped and normal circles first. My must have and favourite set? Hmmm I am not sure I can answer that. I use all of mine pretty equally. I have the deckled rectangles and I rarely use them. Turns out I am not really a deckled rectangle kind of person.

I bought all of mine on eBay. 8 sets of labels for $110 brand new here in aus, to buy one set in a store is $45 so I was pretty pleased
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

It's all a matter of personal taste. I love my deckled rectangles!!! It depends on what you are stamping. Flowers, and feminine images, I use ovals and scalloped ovals, round and round scalloped. I use my square and square scalloped a lot, too. I also like the square, round and oval laced. Very sweet and pretty. I have quite a few different labels. Be careful,...they are VERY addictive!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

We had to get rid of the kids~~~

~~~The cats were allergic!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I have 3 sets I think, they are packed away since moving 8 months ago :( But I should be receiving my new cricut cartridge (Elegant Edges) that does some of these cuts or similar ones in a few days. It only costs as much as two sets of nesties.

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I constantly use mine. I started with circles small and large, then ovals small and large, I now have quite a selection of labels and I have the deckled rectangles. About two months ago I saw somewhere on here how someone used magnetic 8 1/2" x 11 inch sheets and attached them to their wall and hung them on those. Let me tell you, that was the best thing I ever did organizational wise. I use them even more now! So whoever you are, thanks a bunch!!!

I agree - they are very addictive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am so blessed...truly. I have a friend who buys me the entire new release every time there is one...she also gets them all for herself...I would not have nearly as many if it was not for her. She helps me with the cards for the troops.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

My first set was the ovals because I owned several giga punches in square and circle shapes. After using the ovals, I sold the punches and invested in the squares and circles. I love the labels, have most of them but only use a few. #'s 1, 4 and 8 are probably my faves. I have and love the beaded and lacey circles, squares and ovals. Use them quite a bit. And I love the rectanges because they seem to fit a lot of my images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #12  

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My first set would have been the 4 x circle sets and the 4x oval sets. I rarely use the ovals but I use the plain edge circles the most. I liked the scalloped edge look on other peoples card, but not so much on my own creation. The other die I've got a lot of use from is the 'On the Vine' grand border, and the 'Lattice' border. I don't use the label dies as much as I thought I would.

Judging from the varied answers, it looks like there is a wide range of favourites in the spellbinder selection. Good luck with your final choise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

My first sets I bought were all the basic shape ones. I sold all my punches and invested in the Nesties.

I would have to say my "must have" would probably be the circles and a couple of the labels.

My favorites would have to be the lacey circles & squares, and the fleur de lis rectangles too.

The set that i don't use that often would have to be the long rectangle ones. Its almost like they are "too" long for my taste. I should have bought the classic rectangles instead of the long rectangles. Thats on my list to buy next though! ;)

Have fun deciding on which ones you get! The Nesties are definitely something i use all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I've bought the ovals, circles, and squares in the four-packs where I get the small and large in both classic and scalloped. I use all of those the most. Then I use the Labels 1, 4, and 8 quite a bit as well, and also a small tag set (which has been discontinued) for the sentiments.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I LOVE my circles -of all kinds (scalloped, large scalloped and classic). By far my favorite and even with my growing stash (wink), STILL are my GO TO SHAPE!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Circles and ovals are a defnitely must have . Then go to the fancy stuff!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would have to say I use my ovals the most so I have both sizes and the matching scallops. Although I have all the basic shapes and a few of the other ones. I like mine so much that I sold my punches. Sometimes you can use JoAnn or Hobby Lobby coupons....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

Never met a nestie I didn't like, lol. I started out getting mine w/ 40 % off coupons and I bought 4 sets to start with. Ovals and circles are the hardest basic shapes to cut by hand so I reasoned those would be the best starts. So my first 4 sets were Lg Petite Ovals, Lg Std Circles, Lg Std Rectangles and Lg Classic Ovals. Now several years later, I've filled in almost all of the std shapes and a whole bunch of labels and other shapes.

Still, I use the Lg & Sm Petite Ovals the most (and also the Mega Ovals). I hardly ever use the Classic Ovals as the petites just fit the cards better. The Lg & Sm circles are also high on the list as are the rectangles and squares. The tag dies I use quite a bit for sentiments. Of the least used, the Diamond shape I thought I would love but it doesn't fit cards very well or images. I rarely use any of the scallop edge dies and Labels 3 & 6 don't get used very often.

These are just my preferences, but I still think the ovals and circles are good, versatile choices to start.

Hugs,
Julie
Facebook|Pinterest|Instagram
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni,
Featured StamperHostess & Inspiration Challenge Hostess

I design for: Rubbernecker Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Oh you are SO right! That label 10 card is gorgeous! I can't wait to start picking up sets. As I looked at several pages of your gallery it jumped out at me how well the squares and rectangle nestabilities are almost "must haves" for cards...how nicely layers are matted onto cards. I've just been using my paper cutter forever and had forgotten that you get the nicely embossed edges which really dress up a card! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

what beautiful cards! It's amazing the things I see when I am actually "looking" - It's amazing all the things I must have been missing for years! Thanks for the new eyes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

I have LOTS! If I were to start over knowing what I know now, I would buy all four circle sets because circles work for men, too. Then I would get all the ovals, because I like them best, but they are distinctly feminine. I would not use them on a card for any male. My favorite labels are 1, 2, 4 & 8.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When in doubt about the sizes of the dies, I suggest checking the Spellbinders site. They list the exact measurement of each die in every set. Very handy!
My first set was Labels Four, which I still love. You can use it vertically and horizontally with good results. Also, you can place your cardstock through it (one edge of the die cutting the paper) to make really neat edges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:13 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i would recommend going for shapes that you would find difficult to cut by hand so circles, ovals and any of the labels.
look at the images you have and see which shapes other people have used with them.

some images are more square in shape so would suit squares and circles and the squarer label shapes, whereas others are longer and thinner so would suit ovals, rectangles and the longer label shapes.

there are also 2 different shapes of ovals. i went for the classic ovals originally but then added the petite ovals as they are longer and thinner.

you may think they are expensive, but are much cheaper than a set of 6 punches.

let's face it, a martha stewart border punch is about �15, so about the same price as 1 set of nesties.

also remember that there are also the grand nesties which you can only use on the larger die cutting machines. (some of the smaller dies will work on the bigshot/cbug etc but not the largest sizes).

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

When I was a relative newby, I ordered the Nesties over the web. I asked the salesperson if the 2 sets I was ordering (scalloped ovals and plain ovals) worked together for the same shape and she said yes. Needless to say, I believed her to be more versed than I, so I bought them. When I received them, the two shapes did NOT work together. Each oval set is shaped a bit different so they don't form a nice cohesive grouping. If and when you order, please try to be more concerned about the shape than I was. You will love them, I am sure, as much as I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Default thanks for the info

I have been looking into buying my first nesties for some time - I am actually awaiting some second hand ones bought from the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here on SCS. Thanks for all this info, I am steering away from rectangles and squares as they are easily cut by hand. I have a set of 6 european companies' (sorry not sure of name) ovals and scalloped ovals dies that nest alternately and were not very expensive.

Nesties are not cheap here in Australia, so I was glad to spot my bargains here on SCS. I am mostly interested in the labels - I chose a wavy square set and a rectangle wavy type set. Labels 2 and 4 I think.

Unfortunately I should have been able to cut these shapes using my Slice machine. But I am on my third machine (first two returned after approx. 3 - 6 months of use) and it still does not cut the wavy label shapes - or many shapes for that matter - properly. Sorry about this rant :- I trust old fashioned roller die machines more than electronic ones now. I have since bought a Big Shot and am quite happy with it.
Prov. 11:25
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 05:18 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

I love all of my Spellbinders. Started out buying one circle and one scalloped circles and quickly found out that you need the foursome set to get the smaller layers. So I got rid of the two some and bought the circles, ovals, both in the petites and classic and the long rectangles sure come in handy-all in foursomes. I could use any of the labels for my cards and the Shapeabilities are so my fun and I love using the Just Rite Stampers in the middle of those. I guess you could say that I love them all!!!

Last edited by safenn; 05-04-2011 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: spelling and punctuation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 05:19 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Enjoy your Nesties!!! I don't think you can go wrong with any of them!!! There are just some that I use more than others!!! Can't wait to buy some from the newest release!!! I'm a Nestie addict!!! ;)

~~~LINDA~~~

We had to get rid of the kids~~~

~~~The cats were allergic!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I use the circles, plain and scalloped, the most. After two unsatisfactory circle cutters, I love the nesties. Michael's and AC Moore both carry them now and you can use your 40 or 50% off coupon. The lacey circles are my favorites. Also, I love the larger ones that have recently come out for the Grand Calibur and love that machine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 07:07 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Yes, to get a narrow mat you would need two sets, not just one.
Most used for me - ovals, circles and Labels 8.
I also use the little tag ones a lot for sentiments.
There are just so many labels, I don't think I'd ever want them all, but I'm glad I went for Labels 10 - it makes a beautiful shape to cut a card base from, like this example: FLLCAPR11 Spring Peacock by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
:eek:WOW! Checked out your gallery! You do awesome work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

If you watch some of the websites online, you can get many spellbinders for as much as a 40% discount. Check "Oh My Crafts" or JoAnn Crafts - or simply google spellbinders to find some great buys. They can be used in most of the machines: Cuttlebug, Sizzix, Wizard, etc. You should be able to get a good buy on those also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my nesties. Started off with the 4 packs through Cutathome using my 40% coupon - it was the best deal in town for me at the time. Their regular prices are a bit lower and the 40% goes against "their" real price as opposed to their sale price, but it's still a good deal. Now that more places are carrying them, I'm able to get elsewhere, but still go to them pretty regularly for the newer ones if I can't find anywhere else. As mentioned above, Joann's and Michael's have them, so it's a good deal to shop when they've got their 40% off so you can buy more than just one at a time. If you can get the multipacks - they are always a good deal. Love the new labels. I've outgrow my extra large box lid that they are all lined up in, so need to find a new storage idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Default Nestie Storage

If you live in Madison, WI or nearby, go to the greatest scrapbook store around---Scrapbook Superstore on Madison's westside. They have Nestabilities magnetic storage that you can then store in a big binder. How convenient. They have the 4 pager and you can store all of your foursome sets or most of the labels. They also carry the larger magnets in a two page set. Out of the two page sets now but ordering them in. If you don't live there, try Custom Crops--they ship to you. Fantastic idea because your Nesties are so easy to store and find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

I use circles and ovals way more than squares and rectangles as I can easily cut my own squares and rectangles to the exact size I want, so I'd start with them. I like having a few of the label sets (just pick the ones whose shapes appeal to you) and I really like the ribbon tags and grommet tags in the Shapeabilities line.

I've bought a few others such as the stars and Christmas trees but I rarely use them.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #34  
Inking Addict

I use my circles the most (classic and scallop), occasionally the ovals but rarely use any of my label nesties. I bought mine online from Joann's whenever there was a sale and free shipping. When on sale you can get them for around $18 or $19. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

I bought the ovals and circles plus the circle scallops (because i got a really good deal!) I tend to be pretty frugal with my stamping dollars so I wouldn't buy the rectangles or squares because I can do them with my regular cutter. I do find you need both the large and small sets together because I am always wanting the 1/8 inch mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Default Nestabilities

Hi. I would definitely recommend checking out eBay for both new and used Nestabilities. I am new to stamping and it's been an expensive process collecting the start-up supplies/tools needed to do what I want with my cards. I wanted the Nestabilities, as I love the look they give and they are so versatile. Nestabilities go for around $27.99/package where I live, which I find pretty pricey for little metal shapes. So, I went on eBay and found a bunch of them listed (new and used) and was able to bid for them at auction. I just purchased a new set of 8 packages and 2 embossing folders (circles/ovals/with and without scallops and 4 flower sets) for $97. I also purchased (new) some of the decorative labels and the Fleur di Lis and Fair Isle pendant sets for about $10 - $15/set at auction. You just have to watch and remember, if you bid and don't win an item, it will come around again some other time and possibly with the same vendor. I just received my first order today in the mail (the labels and pendant sets) so haven't used them yet, but just looking at them has the creative wheels spinning in my head. By waiting for the right price and purchasing them on eBay, I've saved some money that I can now put towards other must have items. Also, the Nestabilities selection on eBay is far better than anything I've found in my area. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #37  
Glitter Queen

Also, you can buy some really neat stamps for some of the Nestabilities labels. I have yet to purchase these, but there are a few companies like Ippity and Layers of Color Art Stamps that sell coordinating stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I really love my Nesties, but started slowly with the shapes I would have trouble cutting by hand with either a scissors or craft knife. Therefore, I went for circles and ovals in both the plain and scallops. I figured I could cut squares and rectangles and use my scalloped scissors for those (not as easy as it sounds, but can be done) as I don't use that look much anyway. I bought all the sizes and sold/gave away the corresponding punches and freed up a lot of storage space. I have about 3 of the labels sets--started with a rather square one and a rather rectangular one which I have discovered was a good idea since I didn't have the regular squares and rectangles and they are more my style anyway. Must say I use them all pretty equally--the simpler the shapes the better.
They are all so pretty, though, that it is easy to over do. I keep telling myself I don't need any more, I don't need anymore, I don't need anymore...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

I have 37 sets (just counted LOL), but by far my most used are the four deckled rectangle sets. These are so versatile and look much better than I thought they would. Give them a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I started with labels 1, and sets of circles, squares and rectangles; by sets I mean both both regular and scalloped in both large and small. Later I got more labels and all the ovals. I don't use the rectangles and squares much probably because I prefer label shapes instead of straight edges and they come in both 'square' and 'rectangular' type shapes. I use the ovals, circles and the labels all the time. I rarely use the flower shapes: blossom 1,2, dahlia and peony even when make flowers because I prefer to use scalloped circles. I also really like the new Lacey circles. Though not nesties, I'm also into the new complex doily dies available through PTI, MFt and Joan's Gardens. Some might be the same manufacturer, not sure. They have a plate that pushes out all the tiny pieces.

So bottom line: start with ovals and or circles plus your favorite labels.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes