Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Need Xyron Tips and Tricks

Making stickers out of my small intricate die-cuts seemed quicker than putting glue on the die cuts so I could affix them to my card base. However, I have to pull a few (6-7) inches of Xyron paper out of the machine before the die cut comes out, and sometimes the die-cut has been munched in the process.

At 50 cents an inch, and only 1 1/2 inches wide, the Xyron adhesive is too expensive to waste. Have you used Xyron and had success? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Bahb
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure it is in there deep/firmly and use paper that is thicker? I am assuming you are useing the X one. It has been a little bit harder for me to work. I use the one that is the larhest size and it is LESS of a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2014, 05:43 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, the unused Xyron paper that goes to waste is irritating I used to add some generic shapes at the end of the die cut that I'm using and just let them sit in the machine until the next time. But, truth be told, then I just had these little pieces of random adhesive shapes that I had to store and remember that I had when it was time to use them. The aggravation was more "expensive" than the unused adhesive

When I use my little "x", I make sure that I'm keeping the die cut straight, so it won't scrunch up along the side, and slide it down into the slot until I can feel the adhesive kind of "grab" it. Usually if I crunch the sides of my diecut, it's because I didn't take my time loading it in.

I also switch to my bigger (2-1/2" wide) machine if it looks like the die cut is even close to the total width of the small one. It's a bit more forgiving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started with the 2.5 inch one and just ordered the 5 inch one. I have not had the problem of things getting "munched" but sometimes an intricate die is a real job to carefully peel off. Plus, there is the "extra" adhesive left in small corners and openings to deal with.

I do consider Xyron an expensive method of adhering. Expensive, but sometimes really the best thing for the job. So I reserve mine for things I can't do any other way.

Although if you are working with narrow items, check out Kool Tac. I use that also. Sometimes it's actually better for really intricate dies, because you can selectively put just certain areas onto the sheets of adhesive, and don't have to peel a whole die off a sticky paper.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 03-29-2014 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't use my X style Xyron very much, but used it recently to adhere some intricate borders on Easter baskets.

I experimented and found that burnishing really helps before trying to pull the top sheet off. Also, pulling the top sheet off quickly and firmly seems to work better than carefully and slowly, go figure.

The same technique works when removing the item from the bottom sheet, too. I pulled not quite as quickly as with the top sheet, but not really slowly and carefully either. It seemed to help avoid the little "straggles" of adhesive that you get sometimes.

I also feel like it "wastes" the tape, and I hate that about it. I was able to put 2 of my borders through side by side since they were narrow, so it wasn't quite so bad as some other things I've used it for.

I'm stingy-mingy and I know it, so I always try to maximize all my supplies.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the X adhesive for the size. I don't use the machine... I break the cartridge apart and use the adhesive off the roll and then put the cover plastic over it after my die cut is on the sticky part and cut of only what I need. I use a stylus and run it around the outside of the die cut on top of the plastic covering sheet just to take away some of the little glue boogers that hang on to the edges. If I miss the boogers, I use a adhesive eraser after I'v e positioned the die cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Many thanks for all these tips. I so appreciate that, on this site, the answers ALWAYS come and are so helpful.
Bahb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always keep a strip of white cardstock in the xyron and follow up my sticker piece with another piece of cardstock butted up against it. This leaves me with pieces of pre-"stickied," ready-made cardstock pieces to stamp on. Very little waste that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 02:40 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I always keep a strip of white cardstock in the xyron and follow up my sticker piece with another piece of cardstock butted up against it. This leaves me with pieces of pre-"stickied," ready-made cardstock pieces to stamp on. Very little waste that way.
Betsy, I never thought to do this. This is a great tip. Thanks so much for this money saving tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 04:23 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Betsy - I'm not following you, sorry. Are you using the little X shaped one? Can you do what you are describing in the crank machines, like the 2.5 and the 5! Would be nice to minimize waste! Love Xyron but not the $$$ to keep it running!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I like the X adhesive for the size. I don't use the machine... I break the cartridge apart and use the adhesive off the roll and then put the cover plastic over it after my die cut is on the sticky part and cut of only what I need. I use a stylus and run it around the outside of the die cut on top of the plastic covering sheet just to take away some of the little glue boogers that hang on to the edges. If I miss the boogers, I use a adhesive eraser after I'v e positioned the die cut.
I like this idea !! You save adhesive by only using what you need and you don't have a bulky machine to store .
How do you break the cartridge apart?

I use my Xyron for lettering or phrases I cut out with my Silhouette .
TFS
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I like this idea !! You save adhesive by only using what you need and you don't have a bulky machine to store .
How do you break the cartridge apart?

I use my Xyron for lettering or phrases I cut out with my Silhouette .
TFS
Barbara
The roll of adhesive usually just pops right out of the cartridge. Its really easy to take it apart. I've done this with the 2.5" cartridge too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Betsy - I'm not following you, sorry. Are you using the little X shaped one? Can you do what you are describing in the crank machines, like the 2.5 and the 5! Would be nice to minimize waste! Love Xyron but not the $$$ to keep it running!
I'm sorry, I lost track of this thread! Yes, you do this with any of the machines. I have also done as cat_woman does, using just the cartridge. I did it when my old 5.5" xyron broke, but only until I found a replacement machine.
Reply With Quote Likes