Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mixed Media -- playing well with others

I want to venture into the world of mixed media--especially as it applies to cards and journals. I know mixed media is supposed to be easy but I'm experiencing major craft "stage fright." :shock:
I can't seem to get started because I feel that I need to be an art major with a minor in chemical engineering.:oops:

Instead of asking what materials play well together maybe I should start with what media do NOT play well together. For instance, I know that I should not stamp with Distress or Memento ink and then try to add "wet" media (paint, watercolor, gesso, gelato, gel medium) over it, unless I'm going for a smeared look.

What other media do NOT play well together?:twisted:

Right now, my mini arsenal contains:
:arrow: Gesso; matte gel medium; basic cardstock (no watercolor or mixed media paper yet, but soon!); Twinkling H2Os; Copic markers; Ranger alcohol ink; acrylic paint; Perfect Pearls; and the standard inks (Distress, dye, pigment, Staz-On); glitter; embossing powder.

Items I'm considering adding eventually include:
:arrow:Gelatos; Pitt brush markers; Distress paint; tissue paper; texture paste; canvas; found objects.

BTW, I thought about posting this in the mixed media section, but since that area seems to get very little traffic I thought I'd post here, seeing how I'm a little desperate for answers.:confused:
Maybe I should also ask if there is such a thing as using too many Smilies? :rolleyes:;):razz:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #2  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removed by QOI.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 11-06-2015 at 03:20 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I don't think that you need everything all at once. Take your time building as it may not be what you decide to stick to. With that said, I LOVE my gelatos. They are great in everything including mixed media. I also think that they are reasonably priced. I'm all over watercolors and acrylics too. Something else to think about is Distress Stains. I love using spray/mists in my projects too. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I think I have enough supplies get started. What I don't know is what types of media could be a problem to work with.

For instance, I saw a video where someoned use Ranger Archival ink so that it would not smear when layered with gel medium or watercolor. For stamping, I'd guess my Staz-On would work. Another YouTuber smudges Pitt brush pens (India ink) to add shading. She said a Copic would not provide the same smudging ability.

I guess my best bet is to watch a lot of YouTube videos, take a ton of notes and then just experiment to see what bleeds and blends and what doesn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out Carolyn Dube at acolorfuljourney.com, Vicky P (cannot remember her long last name, she's Greek, love her accent!) on YouTube for mixed media ideas. Barbara at Joggles.com has great tutorials on using lots of different mixed media supplies.

If you like using distress ink for a background you can put Ranger Micro Glaze over it to make it waterproof before you use other media like multi media gel. Vicky does that in her videos.

Last edited by arlenevita; 11-06-2015 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
Check out Carolyn Dube at acolorfuljourney.com, Vicky P (cannot remember her long last name, she's Greek, love her accent!) on YouTube for mixed media ideas. Barbara at Joggles.com has great tutorials on using lots of different mixed media supplies.

If you like using distress ink for a background you can put Ranger Micro Glaze over it to make it waterproof before you use other media like multi media gel. Vicky does that in her videos.
Vicky Papaioannu (I think that's how it's spelled.) She is my art journal idol!
I want to make pages like she makes. I wish I could draw. She adds a lot of her own handrawn items to her pages.

I've never heard of Carolyn or Barbara, but I'll check them out before heading to bed.

I started did my first mixed media page tonight. I don't hate it, but there are definitely some things I wish I'd done differently. I guess that's why I have other pages in the book -- a boring non-fiction that is being repurposed as an art journal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I think I have enough supplies get started. What I don't know is what types of media could be a problem to work with...

I guess my best bet is to watch a lot of YouTube videos, take a ton of notes and then just experiment to see what bleeds and blends and what doesn't.
That's what I would advise. Because there are no real "problems" when you are just playing for the fun of it. Many times, finding out that elements bled or smeared turned out to be a happy accident! I just went with it and made it part of my background. And many times I have found myself duplicating that "mistake" again and again because I like the look of it.

Give yourself permission to get messy and experiment and just recycle the paper if you don't like the effect. Watch Carolyn Dube's videos — her enthusiasm and play is infectious and you'll learn from her how to not take anything too seriously! She's a great model in that regard. Einat Kessler is also wonderful and never takes herself or the process too seriously. Love her work as well.

Last edited by poppydarling; 11-06-2015 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 01:30 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Instead of asking what materials play well together maybe I should start with what media do NOT play well together.
A rule or thumb might be to say that things with the same base generally react with each other. So looking at your list, Stazon, Copics and Ranger AIs are all solvent-based. Gel medium, gesso, Twinkling H2Os, Distress and dye-based inks are water-based. Armed with that bit of basic knowledge you can start to guess what might happen when you mix certain products.

Sometimes you actively want things to react with each other (getting a tint into gesso that's brushed over an ink base, for example). Other times it happens without you planning it and you either like it and work with it or you put it down to experience (make a note not to mix those things in that way again if necessary) and move right along to the next combination! The time you spend doing something is not wasted even if you don't like the end product just as long as you learn a little something along the way.

It sounds like you might need to just give yourself permission to play. Don't worry about what you "should" know - just experiment with different combinations of what you have with no end in mind other than seeing what happens. You don't need to produce "great art", you don't need to make a copy of what someone else did, you don't have to produce something you'd give to a friend as a gift, just have some fun with the process and see what you end up with.

When you get things you love, make a note of what you did so you can do it again in future. When you get things you hate, make a note to reduce the chances of you doing the same again! If you're working in a journal, you can add the notes right there on the page if you want to. Use a Post-It note if you don't want to journal directly onto the page.

Have fun

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
Give yourself permission to get messy and experiment and just recycle the paper if you don't like the effect.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
It sounds like you might need to just give yourself permission to play. Don't worry about what you "should" know - just experiment with different combinations of what you have with no end in mind other than seeing what happens. You don't need to produce "great art", you don't need to make a copy of what someone else did, you don't have to produce something you'd give to a friend as a gift, just have some fun with the process and see what you end up with.
I think you both hit that proverbial nail right on its head. I'm beginning to see a trend with my attempts at "art": Need for Rules and Fear of Failure. I can attest that both can cripple creativity.

Maybe I need to seek out an art therapist? Nah. I have a stamp that says, "Who needs a therapist? I have you." Thank you, ladies, for being my art shrinks! I don't think I'm cured yet. I'll still need my SCS pals to give me a bit of hand holding or maybe a Gibbs slap now and then. (NCIS reference)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I think you both hit that proverbial nail right on its head. I'm beginning to see a trend with my attempts at "art": Need for Rules and Fear of Failure. I can attest that both can cripple creativity.

Maybe I need to seek out an art therapist? Nah. I have a stamp that says, "Who needs a therapist? I have you." Thank you, ladies, for being my art shrinks! I don't think I'm cured yet. I'll still need my SCS pals to give me a bit of hand holding or maybe a Gibbs slap now and then. (NCIS reference)
We could challenge each other to put down anything on paper (the right kind for our medium, natch ) and post it just to each other. We could even do simultaneous live sessions in our journals over Skype or Google Hangout!

Once you get in the flow and let go you will see how the questions and worries stop mattering. And if you have negative art gremlins talking to you, watch the Carolyn Dube video above to see what she does — it's hilarious! She doesn't stop, she just keeps talking to the negative voices in her head and keeps going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2015, 04:36 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

I do a lot of mixed media work. It's actually my favorite now and what I focus on. I have built up my stash over a couple of years. And now I am really at the point that I have my favorites. I will list some of them at the end of this post.

And if you are having trouble starting, look for background tutorials on YouTube. I love to try new techniques by looking at background tutorials. I just linked to a new one on my blog this weekend. I have used the technique twice now and love it. I have attached the two pieces I just create using the same background technique.

And some of the favorites and things I always use are: Hero Hues black india ink, Liquitex gesso, Stabilo All pencil, waterbrush, Pigma micron pens, Dylusions paint, cheap acrylic paints from craft store, Dyna Wakley heavy body acrylic paint, stencils, bubble wrap, various sized lids, flip flops, various stamps, tissue paper, book paper, Simply Simmons brushes, etc. Oh I could list SO much more. Love, love, love mixed media!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2015, 07:28 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

When I do mixed media, it helps me not to overthink my projects. I also give myself permission to create, experiment and make mistakes. Not every project turns out how I imagined it would. I invite you to join along with the mixability challenges on Friday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Another artist to search on Youtube is 0113Rach. I love her work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Patter, I saw those cards on your blog yesterday. So beautiful! Also read your "about me" and learned why you have your screen name. Wow! Three at once and all in college. I bow down to your excellent mother abilities, as well as your artistic talent!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've checked out a few suggested YouTubers and plan to look at the newly suggested ones, too.

I'm learning that mixed media is a very broad term and that it does not require mixing a bunch of media all in one project. I may never master mixed media but I think I'm going to enjoy playing with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 04:44 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Patter, I saw those cards on your blog yesterday. So beautiful! Also read your "about me" and learned why you have your screen name. Wow! Three at once and all in college. I bow down to your excellent mother abilities, as well as your artistic talent!
LOL! Not sure about my excellent mother abilities but I do LOVE my girls tremendously, and I am very proud of them. And have fun playing. It's fun to find your style and what you like to work with best. I know what I love to use the most and enjoy doing so it has become my style. Enjoy!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I didn't read all the posts but get the texture paste asap

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes