Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Martha Stewart Punch All Over the Page

I cannot get a good, clean cutting job from the "flourish square" punch in the new Martha Stewart Punch All Over the Page series. The punch works well on (cheap) thin cardstock, but not at all well on Stampin' Up cardstock, which I use most often. Has anyone else given these new punches a try? Have you had good results?

I've aligned and re-aligned the magnets, correct corners, etc., and while I haven't yet resorted to cutting foil as a sharpener, I shouldn't have to with a brand new punch. ... I had been watching these online, thinking they'd be a great tool and that I'd have to pay full price plus shipping. Our Michael's had them out today (surprise!), so I used a 50% off coupon that was burning a hole in my pocket. What a disappointment for it not to work as well as I'd hoped.

Thanks in advance for any reviews others may have.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 06:44 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought two of those todays, a heart and a scallop. As intricate as they are, I would think SU cardstock may be too thick for them. I haven't used either of the ones I bought yet.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 06:56 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Me and my mom was going to use some 50% off coupons on some today.. they had the one that was like the Stampin' UP! curly label punch.. so we punched out a shape with the SU punch and lined it up.. it was a little off.. we decided to not get it because we wondered how we would get a nice straight punch with the thing. I really liked the heart one and my mom liked the stars. I only use SU cardstock so I'm glad that I read this and am happy that I passed on them if they are hard to punch through that paper.

~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to have a lot of trouble with my Martha Stewart punches and SU paper - love them both, but I practically break my hand sometimes IF I can get them to work together. Border punches are extremely hard for me. I was wondering how these would work with SU paper since they don't have the same push...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

I just bought these punches (rose window & flourish square) and can't get a clean edge either. I usually enjoy using my MS punches but I'm not sure if they are worth keeping if they don't work out of the box. I'm not even using thick card stock- so not sure what to do :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow - I was going to get some of these punches, but I won't now after reading this thread!! Thanks so much for the advice!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

I bought the rose window. It works well with thinner cardstock but not as well with thicker cardstock. I marked the top and bottom of one side of the punch. This allows me to easily align the positive and negative poles of the magnets properly before punching.

I have quite a few of Martha's punches but don't think I will be collecting many of these. The openings are not as large as I would like on the punched out shapes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

The last one I returned was "Cherish". The corner punch would not punch through text weight paper, although the set worked okay on cardstock (Odd, I thought it would be the other way around.). I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying the punches (might discourage mail order though). Any brand punch might have a problem. Just be careful to keep receipts, keep all packaging, and test immediately on various paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts
Thinking the problem was the SU! cardstock, I bought some Martha Stewart cardstock and some Bazzill Basics cardstock and couldn't get a clean cut on either one of them! I am really appalled that a punch with Martha Stewart's name on it won't cut cardstock with her name on it!

These punches are clever, and the magnet alignment system is a great idea, but not getting a clean cut negates all of that. I really, really want this "flourish square" punch to work, but it isn't cutting anything well enough to keep at this point. I guess I'll take it back to Michael's and write to Martha, EK Success (the manufacturer), and Wilton (parent company of EK Success).

If anyone else has experience with the Punch Around the Page punches, please update this thread and keep it going.

Alice in MD (original poster on this thread)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

I bought the punch with the collection of little stars on it. It punched cleanly and easily on Recollections kraft cardstock, and I'm delighted with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 05:48 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

My mom bought the Rose Window punch yesterday, and I used it quite a bit while crafting at her house. It worked just fine on Neenah Classic Crest and some My Mind's Eye DP I had on hand.

I did find that it takes a bit of muscle to punch (I had to stand up). I used the punch also on a sentiment I had stamped and found the best way to use it was to put the bottom plate on the top of the paper and line up the sentiment that way, then put the top part of the punch on the back of the paper. Once the (very strong!) magnets locked into place, I flipped the paper over and punched.

I am sorry that so many of you are having bad experiences with the punches! I am planning on buying one or two next time I hit Michael's. But first I will try the Rose Window punch with some other papers and make sure it will suit all of my needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I don't get to the craft stores as often as I'd like, but I got to M's yesterday and almost fell over when I saw the Punch all over the Page. I hope it works....I got the circle. I have a Cuttlebug and had been thinking about investing in Sizzix movers and shapers and trying to adapt it to the CB, but it was just too costly. I'll try it out today and let you know how it worked.

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Martha's punches work well on 65 lbs paper. Paper you get at AC Moore, Michaels & Joanns. The SU paper is 80 lbs and the PTI is 100 lbs. You possibly break your punches. The paper packs come in quantities of 50 sheets for about $4.00. If you use your coupons, you could buy two packs. I have SU and PTI paper for my base and single layers. I use the Nicole and Recollections paper for all my regular punches and border punches. I'd rather not ruin the expensive paper & punch in one shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Subbing for now, I just ordered online some of her punches, punch around the page and others, have not tried it yet.........hope it works better than posts say it does......I will post when it is used...........

Susie

My Blog: http://susiestampr.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Very interesting isnt it, considering EK Success makes her punches as well as the ones for SU and Paper Shapers which I find work the best. Wonder if they use different metal for the cutting blades in some of these as it makes no sence for them not to all cut equally.Ishould not admit to this but I carry cardstock in my purse and always try out a punch in the store ,as I will not purchase one that does not punch out well. Did that once and brought it back to store , and walked around store, came back to find my broken punch taped and put back on the shelf. Once bitten twice shy.Since doing this its been my luck to find the first punch I try cuts!Go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

Has anyone had their punch lock up? My MS snow flurry border punch is locked with my paper inside. I can't seem to get it unlocked. Does anyone has any tricks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Have you tried putting it in the freezer. I learned that trick long ago (from here, I believe), and it usually works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I bought the decorative heart one - am having trouble aligning it, but it's just me. Seems to be ok on my SU paper so far. Just bought the stars - more punches and smaller, so hopefully it will work as well. I agree - MS and SU don't always work well together for me. SU paper is nice and heavy which I love, but the punches don't. Having no strength in my arms/wrists, I stand alot when using those two together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have two of the anywhere on the page punches a heart and a medallion type one. So far I have had great results on cardstock other than SU. It was tough to punch on SU but turned out okay.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMSquared80View Post
Has anyone had their punch lock up? My MS snow flurry border punch is locked with my paper inside. I can't seem to get it unlocked. Does anyone has any tricks?
I have used scissors and pushed from the underside to unlock punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Having received the rose magnetic punch for Christmas, I was excited thinking I could line my punch up on the card stock, make a punch, move the punch over (so that I'd have 3 in a row) and punch but there isn't anyway I can see to line my next punch. Do you have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I traveled near and far for the all over the page heart punch. Found one...so excited. Totally disappointed that it would not punch through Bazzill kraft paper. I have good arm and wrist strength but I have problems with the MS punches. I used the fern punch for 8 Christmas cards and by the time I was done I could have thrown that punch in the trash. I usually use Bazzill paper, not SU paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I normally love punches, any one's, but for some odd reason this MS punch didn't even appeal to me. I'm glad I have read this post and didn't buy them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Saw on Martha Stewart's tv show....

Her use of these punches while demo-ing a segment with a guest crafter. The guest easily punched out the curly label image while making her craft; Martha could not get the magnets to line up and punch on her project---big clue to the quality of the product she is using. If MS can't use it properly on her own show, then the punches really aren't that great in quality and can be hit or miss :(

I had the fern branch punch a few years back and could only use Bazzill cardstock to punch out the image. I almost passed out trying to punch out the image using SU! cardstock. On occasion I'll buy an MS punch, use it for a season then resell it.

As intrigued as I was to see that magnetic punch on the market, I haven't forgotten my previous experience with her punches, so I don't feel like I have to have the newest thing she introduces.

...even though I am on the fence with buying her circle cutter.... hmmm....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

i bought the circle cutter, used it and took it back the next day. terrible cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes