Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-16-2022, 03:57 PM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Machine for just embossing?

I have a hand-crank Big Shot. I'm just getting back to crafting after about a decade off and I've been purchasing newer dies and embossing folders. The BS has been great with dies, however, I've been finding it harder to get good impressions from embossing folders, both my older ones and newer ones that I've recently purchased. I struggle to find just the right sandwich to make a good impression. In fact, the other day, one of my new EFs actually cracked while I was running it through!

I'm thinking of getting a machine just for embossing. I don't want to spend a whole lot - but I'm thinking things might go better if I have a dedicated machine.

Many years ago, I gave away my Cuttlebug when I got the BS, but now I kind of wish I still had it to use just for embossing.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2022, 05:46 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm really no help as I just have my old faithful Cuttlebug. If you are serious about wishing you had one, there are some available on eBay.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Springpatchlady (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 02:34 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

Sizzix made an embossing-only machine several years ago and you could probably find one on Ebay or Amazon or ISO here. SU! sold it for a bit so a demo may have one sitting around to sell you for a reasonable price.
Mary Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Springpatchlady (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 02:37 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

After a bit of snooping around the web, I discovered the name of the machine is Texture Boutique and there is one available at scrapbook.com. Happy shopping!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lutheran:
auntiedayna808 (05-18-2022), Springpatchlady (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 04:45 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

The new 3D EFs can be a challenge to find the right sandwich. I tend to put a tape label on them once I figure it out. I like the results enough to work for it. But I get your point. I have a hand crank BS too that I use mostly though I do have a Gemini too. I am just so used to that.

It could mean ditching the second cutting plate and just using a thin cardboard shim. I just never ever run a tight sandwich-I am not criticizing. I am just saying. I would rather mist the paper with water or run it twice-or both- personally.

I am sorry you cracked your EF :((( That's frustrating and disappointing. Some people have mentioned trouble with hinged ones like from Spellbinders.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by wavejumper:
hockeymum13 (05-18-2022), hultenlk (05-22-2022), Springpatchlady (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 06:24 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks everyone (@stampandweave, @lutheran , and @wavejumper ) for the suggestions and sympathy. I'm looking into all the options you all have mentioned. @wavejumper , you're right, I could be just making things too tight... but on the other hand, when I make them too loose, there's barely an impression.

I've looked at some of the Cuttlebugs and Sizzix Texture Boutiques. They both sort of fill the bill, except I'm not sure either would be wide enough for some of the wider EFs out there. Any of you have input on that?

I know I said that I didn't want to spend too much but have any of you had experience with the new(?) SU Stampin' Cut and Emboss Machine? The website says it can accept EFs up to 6in. I have a couple newer ones that are about that wide. I wonder if it would be worth it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2022, 08:48 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have the Sizzix Texture Boutique. It can only take standard size embossing folders. I have one EF that is wider. It will go through but it is a tight fit. I do love my Texture Boutique so much. If you have a large collection of wider folders it might not the best choice.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lylacfey:
HOBBYSUE (05-18-2022), pnzimmer (05-18-2022), Springpatchlady (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 04:25 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I have the Sizzix Texture Boutique. It can only take standard size embossing folders. I have one EF that is wider. It will go through but it is a tight fit. I do love my Texture Boutique so much. If you have a large collection of wider folders it might not the best choice.
i, too, use a Texture Boutique, and the size does prevent me from using a lot of the available EFs. (That also means I can shop faster by just not looking at large ones!). I love my TB, and it is so fast and easy to use. Occasionally I need a thicker “ sandwich”, and I solved this by buying a pack of “ cutting boards” at Dollar Tree. I think it came in a pack of three, but I’m still using just the first one…I cut it in half ago fit the TB. Most of my cards are 5 x 6 1/2, and with a little paper layering, I find that the smaller EF are plenty.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by CardCountess:
HOBBYSUE (05-18-2022), lylacfey (05-19-2022), Springpatchlady (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 06:09 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

That was one big reason I got the Gemini. Much bigger than the manual BS-I was debating between the Big shot Pro or that.... I decided to go with the electric gemini. My wrists are not getting any younger lol. It does other stuff too like the glimmer stuff (I dont)

Reply With Quote Likes
Springpatchlady (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:28 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that issue with my big shot and came to the conclusion that it was wearing out. my husband even changed the bearing in the bigshot. you could do that back when they had good customer service. I finally broke down and got the new stampin up cut and emboss machine, I call it the big boss, lol and don't have any issuses now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Springpatchlady (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:30 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Based on info from @lutheran , @wavejumper , @lylacfey , and @CardCountess , I've gone ahead and ordered the TB from scrapbook.com (on sale right now)!

I figure I'll use that for my regular EFs and keep trying different sandwiches on my BS for the larger or 3D ones. That seems like a compromise I can live with for now.

Thanks so much, again!
Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (05-19-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:33 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

If I continue to have issues with the larger or 3D EFs, I will keep the new Stampin' Up machine in mind. I just want to see how things go before shelling out big bucks for a new machine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagles777View Post
I had that issue with my big shot and came to the conclusion that it was wearing out. my husband even changed the bearing in the bigshot. you could do that back when they had good customer service. I finally broke down and got the new stampin up cut and emboss machine, I call it the big boss, lol and don't have any issuses now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2022, 07:55 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Spellbinders is coming out with their Universal Plate System:

The Universal Plate System is a set of seven plates that work in manual die-cutting machines such as the Platinum™ ®, Platinum 6™ ® and Big Shot™ ® Machines. The new longer size allows versatility when die-cutting and embossing. It will accommodate slimline dies and larger embossing folders. It will also work with most brands of thin metal cutting dies, steel rule dies, 2D and 3D Embossing Folders by layering the plates. It will be the only plate system you will need!

Reply With Quote Likes
Springpatchlady (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 02:42 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Wow! Thanks for this info. Definitely checking it out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
Spellbinders is coming out with their Universal Plate System:

The Universal Plate System is a set of seven plates that work in manual die-cutting machines such as the Platinum™ ®, Platinum 6™ ® and Big Shot™ ® Machines. The new longer size allows versatility when die-cutting and embossing. It will accommodate slimline dies and larger embossing folders. It will also work with most brands of thin metal cutting dies, steel rule dies, 2D and 3D Embossing Folders by layering the plates. It will be the only plate system you will need!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2022, 02:57 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,838 Posts

This Universal Plate System looks a lot like the SU machine system with the alpha for each plate. Seems expensive. I wonder how fast the plates will warp and if replacements will be available for each plate. Thanks for sharing it, Victoria. Something to think about.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2022, 03:05 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
This Universal Plate System looks a lot like the SU machine system with the alpha for each plate. Seems expensive. I wonder how fast the plates will warp and if replacements will be available for each plate. Thanks for sharing it, Victoria. Something to think about.
Will the SU system work in the platinum 6 or the Big Shot? I don't know much about SU products, if it works in my Platinum 6 & is cheaper, I would like to know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2022, 05:12 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
Will the SU system work in the platinum 6 or the Big Shot? I don't know much about SU products, if it works in my Platinum 6 & is cheaper, I would like to know.
I do not own it, so have no idea. All of the videos I have seen demonstrating the machine resembles the Platinum 6. I do use my embossing plate from my Spellbinders machine with the SU folders and it works perfectly. I do not think the SU one is any cheaper unless you become a demo. But then you have to spend $300 a quarter to save the 20%. I am not a demo, but do purchase some products.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2022, 06:55 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I had the original Cuttlebug until Cuttlebug stopped making any machines. I would be using it still, but there were many EFs that I wanted that wouldn't fit through the opening. So I got the Big Shot Foldaway, as it was the closest I could come to my beloved Cuttlebug. I have had to work through the various folders, as the instructions that come with it are for products that are available currently, not the myriad of out-dated products I still use. Sometimes you just have to "play" with the shims and when you find the right fit, write it down. The Foldaway has a storage spot under the base when it is open, and that's where I keep my little booklet of instructions for all the different kinds of folders and dies I have, for quick reference when I need it. My trusty Cuttlebug resides 2,000 miles away with my daughter who loves and cherishes it as much as I did and uses many of the embossing folders and dies that seemed to be close to duplicates and could be shared. I like having one machine that does double duty, can be stored and works with all the old and new products I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Chris4436 (05-26-2022)