Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,163 Likes on 497 Posts
Default Let talk Spectrum Noir

Hello everyone,
Let talk Spectrum Noir. I am thinking buying Spectrum Noir markers. Or colored pencils. Do you you like them? what the pros and coms? What about the pencils vs the markers? where the cheaps places to by them? Do you like them better copics markers? are the spectrum Noir markers better then the copics I don't have copics or Spectrum Noir markers. Witch one would you recommended? And why would you recommended? thanks hotwheels
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Hotwheels! Well lets just say I have both! The copics are definitely a bit of a learning in my opinion to get the results you want with the shading,etc. I was all about the Spectrum Noirs when they came out because they are so inexpensive compare to the price of the Copics. I purchased all of mine just about a year and a half ago and have not used them, but once or twice. I store all of my coloring mediums laying flat and not upright so the ink will stay even at both ends. Within the past month I went to use the "Noirs" and they are dried out! I still have more that I have not checked bit I'm sure they are just as dry! My copics are still juicy, the copics I have are the "Ciaos" So with that being said I would recommend the copics! I know they are many tutorials on you tube for the coics. I have not bought any copics in a long time but when I do buy more markers I will be buying copics!

I could write more but I have to go to work now, UGH!! I saw your post and wanted to chime in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I will not be buying any more Spectrum Noir markers. Two of them were dry right out of the package, and the others are following suit. I know they have a "new" design, but I'm not taking any chances. I'll stick with the Copics and Bic Mark Its.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't have Spectrum Noir but they have changed their Barrels/Caps.

From what I have read about the old style the ink is still in the marker and just needs to be refreshed with some denatured alcohol. Here is a video from Frugalcrafter about Spectrum Noir refreshing. http://youtu.be/9_oK1qqZ34E

Now I have to say if I didn't already have Copics I would seriously consider the Spectrum Noir in the new style which doesn't dry out. If buying right now make certain you are getting the new style.

FWIW alcohol markers are alcohol markers, whether they are Bics, Sharpies, Spectrum Noir, Copics etc... what makes them different is the ability to refill and the nibs. I really like a brush nib.

Gina K talks through Spectrum Noir on this video I Appreciate You Card Project - YouTube and the new barrels and changeable nibs. She is stocking them in her shop now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

okay so what do the new style look like? Anyone know? In the first video she was saying use some kind of denatured alcohol. Would rubbing alcohol. Do the same to refreshed your maker of Spectrum Noir?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Can Spectrum Noir be refilled? I know Copic markers can be refilled and that is one reason I started using them, it is nice to know that you only have to buy once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

yes, I was told they can be refilled. But, should how well that work? after being refilled?

QUOTE=dillyb5;20643411]Can Spectrum Noir be refilled? I know Copic markers can be refilled and that is one reason I started using them, it is nice to know that you only have to buy once.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I have refilled many of them with alcohol and it works just great.
I put one eyedropper in the broad end (after I have taken that nib out), put it back in and lay the marker flat for a couple of minutes and it works just great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

what dose the new style look like vs the old styles? So when I out looking. I cant tell the differtnce in the styles? Anyone know this? thanks hotwheels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Yes, they can be refilled but as cheap as mine were ($7.88 for six markers) I would probably just get a new set. I saw the new markers at acmoore and they look almost the same. The shape is !more on the round side rather than square like the current ones. They are packaged the same as the older style
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Man it going hard for me tell if new or the old style. If I find them. no acmoore here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Yes, they can be refilled but as cheap as mine were ($7.88 for six markers) I would probably just get a new set. I saw the new markers at acmoore and they look almost the same. The shape is !more on the round side rather than square like the current ones. They are packaged the same as the older style
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Linda, go to this link Spectrum Noir Craft Pens & Markers from Crafters Companion and scroll down to the video on the right. They are the round new ones
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

the new ones are not really round - more like an octagon (they will not roll of the table). The old ones were rectangular.
And yes, they do have refills - didn't need them so far.
The only thing I miss on them comparing to Copics is the brush tip - they have a harder tip, but it's probably just a matter of getting used to them.

Coloring pencils - did you mean something like Prismacolors? comparing to markers you get a different/softer look with them..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

The new ones can be also purchased in bigger sets (pastels, lights, brights & darks)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Is the old style markers (Noirs) the ones that you are able to put a drop of alcohol in? I would really like to be able to freshen these up if that's the case! Or do I take my coupons and go to ACMoore to get the new style? I feel that if Gina K is selling them then they have to be GOOD! She is a top notch crafter and wouldn't sell anything unless it met her high standards. Would love to be able to meet her someday! Just love her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

I think you can put alcohol in either set but definitely the old ones which is what I just got at Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I think you can put alcohol in either set but definitely the old ones which is what I just got at Christmas.
Thanks Kathy ! Think I will try that tonight. I will let you know how it turns out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
Thanks Kathy ! Think I will try that tonight. I will let you know how it turns out!
The tutorial said denatured alcohol. I'm not sure what that is but will be looking for some in the hardware store tomorrow. I don't need it yet, but want to have it on hand so I don't have to run out and get some later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by larueView Post
I have refilled many of them with alcohol and it works just great.
I put one eyedropper in the broad end (after I have taken that nib out), put it back in and lay the marker flat for a couple of minutes and it works just great.
Do you mean that you refreshed them with alcohol? Because just filling something with alcohol isn't a refill-- there's no color to it.

Quote:

My copics are still juicy, the copics I have are the "Ciaos" So with that being said I would recommend the copics!
Copics are internally pressurized, to keep ink at both ends, so you can store them horizontally or vertically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I put regular alcohol in them because that is what had evaporated. There was still lots of pigment in them since I had not used them--so I filled them with alcohol-or refilled the barrel with alcohol. I did not use denatured alcohol, and they work just fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I had 50 out of 72 markers that were dry and a few more on the way out! The sad thing is I didn't use them, maybe a couple here and there! I think I may contact Crafters companion to see if they would be willing to do anything! Such a waste of money! So with that said I tried the alcohol, and it seemed to do the trick. I only had the regular alcohol. I did put to much in on a couple of them and lets just say they are super juicy!!!

I have alot of Copic Ciaos that I have had for 2-3 years and they seem pretty juicy thus far! Think I will stick to my copics!!! Are the "ciaos" refillable?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I tried using alcohol to refresh them, but it didn't work. It just diluted what little color was left.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
I had 50 out of 72 markers that were dry and a few more on the way out! The sad thing is I didn't use them, maybe a couple here and there! I think I may contact Crafters companion to see if they would be willing to do anything! Such a waste of money! So with that said I tried the alcohol, and it seemed to do the trick. I only had the regular alcohol. I did put to much in on a couple of them and lets just say they are super juicy!!!

I have alot of Copic Ciaos that I have had for 2-3 years and they seem pretty juicy thus far! Think I will stick to my copics!!! Are the "ciaos" refillable?
Yes. I refill my Ciaos all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I tried using alcohol to refresh them, but it didn't work. It just diluted what little color was left.
yeah, the alcohol only works if there is color left in the marker. Most of the people with the older version have dry markers with the alcohol evaporated and plenty of color left inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 04:16 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Yes. I refill my Ciaos all the time.

Thank you! Think I will sticking with the Copic's!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 04:40 AM   #26  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have mainly copics, mainly the sketch copics and also the original copics. I've also got the copic Ciaos as well as about 8 spectrum noirs.

I like my sketch copics best of all. Ciao's go dry much faster , as do the spectrum noir markers. Although one can refill copics originals and sketch copics, I've yet to actually do that. One problem with refilling a copic is that you have to a big refill container in a specific colour. I am lucky that if I want to travel for an hour or so into an art store, they will refill your copic for 2.00 or something. That said, I have not yet needed to refill a copic . Very happy with my copics, but spectrum noir has some colours that copics don't.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the SN markers and also got some dry ones. I contacted Crafter's Companion and they quickly sent me new ones. In one case they didn't have the marker so they sent a bottle of re-inker. I'd give them a call and ask.

I don't have Copics, but play around with the SN, Sharpie, BIC and watercolors of all types. And for me "playing" is the key. I'll never be a great artist, but I get better all the time just by playing around and learning more her on SCS.

mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm wondering if the problem with the spectrums is that people aren't putting the caps on tight? They snap on harder than most I've come across, but so far I haven't found any dried out because I made extra sure the caps are on tight when I put them away. It's just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I had almost all of the sketch markers and sold them because I did not like the way the cap went on--go figure--to each his own.

Now, I own some of about 5 different kinds of alcohol markers and like all of them and they all work well together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

well, now I not sure witch one going with Spectrum Noir markers Or the Spectrum Noir color pencils I love water color. But, makers too. I can't both of them? What do you ladies think of the Spectrum Noir water color pencils? Would you get Spectrum Noir water color pencils? Or Spectrum Noir markers? thanks hotwheels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

I didn't know spectrum noir had watercolor pencils. I use prisma pencils but spectrum markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

when I look at the website on color pencils I just figure they were watercolor pencils. here the website are these not watercolor pencils? They called them blender pencils. Whatevery that is?
Blendable Colored Pencils
Thanks hotwheels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Well after the markers sitting overnight they are not all that great! I know that the caps for the SN markers fit tight and that was not my problem as they were not used! Guess I will contact crafters companion this week and see what they will do!

Thanks everyone for the input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #34  
Proud Fan Club Member

Those spectrum pencils aren't watercolor pencils, Linda. I think you use them lime you would prismas. You can just color with them or you can use a blendor pen with them, or I also use odorless mineral spirits and a blender stump and go over the areas to blend the colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Crafter's Companion has Wonderful customer service and I am sure they will be able to help you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsView Post
when I look at the website on color pencils I just figure they were watercolor pencils. here the website are these not watercolor pencils? They called them blender pencils. Whatevery that is?
Blendable Colored Pencils
Thanks hotwheels
They're regular colored pencils, not watercolor. They will blend with other pencils or with a solvent like mineral spirits. They're also marketing their own brand of solvent and stumps, and a blender pencil.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay Ladies thanks for your help I have some questions If you can only buy one set of spectrum markers at time. Witch set would you buy first? What other markers work well with the spectrum markers? And what a inks with stamping and use the spectrum markers? to color your images. thanks hotwheels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Maybe a set like aliczaz mentioned in post #14. I bought mine in sets by color family but if you are only buying one set at a time that wouldn't be a good idea because you wouldn't want a set of all shades of blue. That would limit what you can color. But a set of bright might be nice for coloring flowers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2014, 02:20 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsView Post
If you can only buy one set of spectrum markers at time. Witch set would you buy first? What other markers work well with the spectrum markers? And what a inks with stamping and use the spectrum markers? to color your images. thanks hotwheels
depends on what colors do you use the most... do you find yourself using lighter /brighter / darker colors? Do you usually color landscapes/ flowers / people?
I have most of the first generation 6 packs (found them for about $6 per pack in HomeSense) and then I realized I need more lighter shades so I got the 24 pack of Pastels.
I use black Memento ink for stamping and I also have several Copics and Shinhan Touch markers and they all play well together... I'm not a coloring pro, but they do what I need them to do ;)
Hope it helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2014, 05:48 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

connie leone--

I contacted Crafter's Companion last week regarding my original-style Spectrum Noir markers which have totally dried up. I have not heard back from them.

However, I used isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) in mine yesterday, and it has revived them. I am certain that 90% solution would be better, butI only had 70% solution on-hand, and it seemed to work just fine. Of course, the key is probably that my markers have had very little use, so the nibs still have lots of ink in them--they are just dried out. The alcohol is the carrier that makes the ink flow.

Are you sure you put enough alcohol in? I used 2-3 ml (I used a syringe without a needle, left over from administering oral meds to my cat).

I put too much alcohol in a couple of times and the alcohol drips out the end when I take the cap off. I'm keeping some paper towels on-hand until the excess drips out. So learn from my mistakes: too little is better than too much! But a few drops will probably NOT work. I would say start with a minimum of about 1 ml (I don't know how many drops that is, but I bet you can find a conversion table on-line).

Good luck--and let us know if you contact Crafter's Companion and actually hear back from them.
Reply With Quote Likes