Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JudiKins Diamond Glaze vs. SU Crystal Effects

Does anyone know if there is a difference between JudiKins Diamond Glaze and Stampin Up's Crystal Effects? I know a lot of ladies swear by the Diamond Glaze for coating their hand crafted paper beads, but I can't find if there is any difference in it & the Crystal Effects. Seems they're both lacquers, but the DG is also a resin. Anyone know? I can't seem to find the answer online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

They are virtually identical. Both are liquid dimensional adhesives. I would say use whichever is handiest
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Thanks, Betsy. That's exactly what I needed to know. I have the Crystal Effects so I'll use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by durhamzooView Post
Does anyone know if there is a difference between JudiKins Diamond Glaze and Stampin Up's Crystal Effects? I know a lot of ladies swear by the Diamond Glaze for coating their hand crafted paper beads, but I can't find if there is any difference in it & the Crystal Effects. Seems they're both lacquers, but the DG is also a resin. Anyone know? I can't seem to find the answer online.
Are you going to use Diamond Glaze or Crystal Effects for paper beads? I love making paper beads. I am setting down next week and hopefully making a bunch. I use DecoArt Triple Thick glaze for my beads. Then I give them a nice coating of Future Floor Wax. Of course I wait for my Triple Thick to dry before I use the Future Floor Wax. I learned that technique from the polymer clay girls who make paper beads.

Sometimes Diamond Glaze and those other glazes on the market can yellow or the bead degrades in time, especially if your wearing it.

I do use Glossy Accents for other techniques and I think that is the closest to Stampin Up's Crystal Effects.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 02:18 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I did not notice any yellowing by either but what I found with the Judikins is that the bottle is stiffer and it was harder for my hand to squeeze out the glaze. I just went to double check that but I think I tossed the Judikins at about a 1/3 left because it was too hard to squeeze. They may have changed their bottles but I haven't bought any ever since my first bottle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 03:49 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

It would be nice if they sold these kinds of product in a set of smaller bottles then we could actually use up a whole bottle before it dries up. I use both products and haven't seen any difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I've used Diamond Glaze and Glossy Accents. While I haven't had any problems with yellowing with the DG, I have had yellowing issues with GA. I don't think I'll be buying Glossy Accents anymore. I haven't opened my bottle of Crystal Effects yet. Essentially, I think they are all the same product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for all the input, ladies! It really helps to have others' opinions & experiences.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Yes, I am learning how to make paper beads. I watch a video by a young (British?) lady on YouTube that was about 45 minutes long and was really helpful. I've always liked the idea of making these, and my coworker made them from magazines. I must have spent an hour in Michael's yesterday trying to find a bead rolling tool (didn't carry it) and a good glaze. Thanks for your tips, and I will give those products you mentioned a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I've used Diamond Glaze and Glossy Accents. While I haven't had any problems with yellowing with the DG, I have had yellowing issues with GA. I don't think I'll be buying Glossy Accents anymore. I haven't opened my bottle of Crystal Effects yet. Essentially, I think they are all the same product.
That was it! Glossy Accents yellows but Diamond Glaze does not. I get things so backwards at times. I put them all together, lol. I wonder why Diamond Glaze does not yellow. I wonder if they use a different sealer than Glossy Accents.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2014, 12:07 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by durhamzooView Post
Yes, I am learning how to make paper beads. I watch a video by a young (British?) lady on YouTube that was about 45 minutes long and was really helpful. I've always liked the idea of making these, and my coworker made them from magazines. I must have spent an hour in Michael's yesterday trying to find a bead rolling tool (didn't carry it) and a good glaze. Thanks for your tips, and I will give those products you mentioned a try.
I bet that was JenniBellie's video. I love her videos.

Michael's doesn't have bead rolling tools any more. :( Michael's bead tool section is pretty pathetic. Can you tell I like to make jewelry? Try the kids sections for bead rolling tools. Sometimes they have them. Hobby Lobby gets them in too from time to time if you are lucky to have a Hobby Lobby.

Glazes I stay out of the scrapbook section in Michaels. I go to the adhesive and polymer clay section for my glazes. I hope that helps.

BeyondBracelets- https://www.youtube.com/user/BeyondBracelets/featured has some really great paper bead tutorials too. If I remember I think she has one on glazes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Default You're right!

Yep, it was Jennibellie! And thanks very much for the shopping tips. I'll certainly keep them in mind. Now I'm off to check out the link you gave me.
Reply With Quote Likes