Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've Died and Gone to Heaven

If anyone is out there contemplating buying a Brother ScanNcut machine, let me tell you I just purchased a new ScanNcut2 from Overstock.com with a 15% off coupon and I can't believe what a fantastic job this machine does cutting out stamped images!!

I personally spent a good 2 months researching all the different machines out there and it seemed like the more a researched the more I got confused. I'm sure there are others of you out there feeling the same way - the problem is there are pros and cons for each of the machines and it becomes overwhelming to make a decision since the cost of the machine is fairly expensive. I finally decided I needed to really decide what I was planning to do my machine and once I did that, it became much easier for me to choose the machine I thought would be best for me.

Three years ago I made a rash decision to purchase a Cricut Expression - it has been a decision I regret to this day. At the time the reason I wanted to purchase an electronic cutter was primarily to cut 3D SVG files. Little did I know that days after I received the machine Cricut announced they would no longer allow the use of Sure Cuts A lot with their machines. So I've only used my machine a handful of times. I'm just not a fan of most of the Cricut cartridges since they don't have much available in the way of 3D projects which is what I really wanted to do.

Fast forward to 2016 and I've decide what I will most likely be doing with my cutting machine will be cutting out stamped images to save money on buying matching dies for my stamps. I can easily recoup the cost of my ScanNcut if I stop buying all the dies I tend to buy when I purchase stamps. I'm still interested in cutting SVG files and it appears the SNC2 can cut SVGs even though I haven't yet tried to do this with my new machine.

The reason I'm so thrilled with my purchase is that the process to cut out stamped images is so very, very easy ( stamp the image, run the image through the machine and then hit the cut button). It only took me 15 - 20 minutes to cut the images I show below. I love my Bella stamps but boy are they a pain to cut out because of the very fine details. I cut the stamps out just as soon as I unboxed my machine - I only briefly scanned the manual before I started to cut out the images! I will admit though that I had previously watched numerous YouTube videos when I was researching machines - so I had a basic idea how to work the machine.

So if there are others of you wanting a machine to save on the cost of buying matching dies and eliminating the need of fussy cutting - I highly recommend the SNC2.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures ( I just wanted to show how nice the machine cut everything out - I cut some images twice to show cuts with and without a border:

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

First - the title of your post really sucked me in to look!

Pretty amazing how well that machine cuts. And do you promise it was not hard to operate?

I do a lot of cutting out images by hand, and don't mind doing it, but mine are not so uniform as that.

I'm glad you are so happy with it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 09:54 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I promise - it really is that simple. I do recommend watching you tube videos to really get some tips from people who have been using the machine for a while.

I did encounter a slight problem with the stamp of the little girl pulling the sled but the was due to the fact the image had some broken lines that I didn't catch. But that was easily fixed by closing the lines with a pencil and the scanning the image again. Most Bella stamps will require minor touch ups to ensure a good scan but I promise it was not difficult. I shied away from other machines because they seemed a little complex to me and I didn't see myself using my machine if I had to learn a computer program.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Your images look really great from what I can see. Sounds like a great product. It would be interesting to have you come back in a few months to give us an update as to how well your Brother is still working.
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 02:54 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for the great review. I've been looking for a cutter like this as I spend way too much on dies. Did you buy the CM550R model? I see it's $249 on Amazon (Prime) and the same price on Walmart.com.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 05:27 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anne RyanView Post
Your images look really great from what I can see. Sounds like a great product. It would be interesting to have you come back in a few months to give us an update as to how well your Brother is still working.
I'll do that - it's always good to work with a machine for a while to really get to understand the overall performance. I'll be sure to follow up on this thread in a few months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 05:34 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiek55View Post
Thanks for the great review. I've been looking for a cutter like this as I spend way too much on dies. Did you buy the CM550R model? I see it's $249 on Amazon (Prime) and the same price on Walmart.com.
No, I purchased a CM350R - I believe the CM550 is an older model and I do not believe it has the option to scan color images. I think the CM550 was released in 2014. My CM350R cost me a total of $254.15 - no shipping; no tax. I found that was the best deal at the time of my purchase since purchasing it from other retailers often meant I could get the machine for a similar price but would have to pay another $15-20 for tax.

I believe Brother recently released a software upgrade that will allow the older machines to be upgraded - but I'm not clear on what the upgrade covers vs. just buying a newer model.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 03:07 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for the information - onward to search the web!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

If only it was 249 or even 299 - here in Canada and I am sure other countries it almost 500.00CND Sadness as I am so frustrated with my Cameo

Question - My Cameo is the first Cameo model - does crap with heavy card stock or even heaven forbid I want to cut chipboard. How does the ScanNcut cut chipboard?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonwoldView Post
If only it was 249 or even 299 - here in Canada and I am sure other countries it almost 500.00CND Sadness as I am so frustrated with my Cameo

Question - My Cameo is the first Cameo model - does crap with heavy card stock or even heaven forbid I want to cut chipboard. How does the ScanNcut cut chipboard?
Sorry to hear that the machine is so expensive in Canada - can't you order it from the US and pay for shipping... or does the shipping and import tax cancel out all the savings you might gain?

I can't personally speak to the ability of the SNC cutting chipboard, but I believe I've seen YouTube videos of people cutting chipboard without any problems when they use the deep cutting blade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandepuceView Post
Sorry to hear that the machine is so expensive in Canada - can't you order it from the US and pay for shipping... or does the shipping and import tax cancel out all the savings you might gain?

I can't personally speak to the ability of the SNC cutting chipboard, but I believe I've seen YouTube videos of people cutting chipboard without any problems when they use the deep cutting blade.
I was looking at that sadly our dollar is pretty terrible on the exchange rate which is why the machine is expensive here. Then add duty and taxes it works out to be about the same, might as well support local business right. I think our dollar today was 1.3801 so 299.99 is 414.02
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Are the electrical plugs the same for both the US and Canada? Is it as easy as buying something in the US and being able to plug it straight in in Canada?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 06:02 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I've had my SNC2 for almost 2 months now. I still love it! I'm having some trouble with the mat staying sticky but I use my SNC ALOT so I think that might be more of the issue but I just put some removable tape over the corners where I'm not cutting or I have a removable glue stick that I'll sometimes use. Other then that I still love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
Are the electrical plugs the same for both the US and Canada? Is it as easy as buying something in the US and being able to plug it straight in in Canada?
Yes there are no difference in our electrical or any other type plugs. Now that being said - there are some things the governments don't want us to buy in each other countries but it makes no difference at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Have just looked at the price of the ScanNCut CM300 in the UK (the only one available here), it is �399 which is $574!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I had the first model for a year and now the SNC2 for 6 months. I love it and use it all the time.

With the newest update to all of the machines, it will read SVG files. If you haven't updated, you just have to convert them using Canvas or SCAL4.

The update also allows the older machines to have RGB scanning.

The $249 price on Amazon and Walmart is a limited time price and then it goes up to $299 again. I am saving money on dies since my machine will cut out stamped images and I can create my own "dies" in any shape or size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

If you are on Facebook, there is a great group called "ScanNCut, Canvas and SCAL Help". It is a great group which helps you learn all about the machine and the programs that work with it. The group moderator makes short videos on how to do anything and everything you want. Most importantly, it is a nice group. No nastiness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2016, 12:55 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 344 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandepuceView Post
No, I purchased a CM350R - I believe the CM550 is an older model and I do not believe it has the option to scan color images. I think the CM550 was released in 2014.

I believe Brother recently released a software upgrade that will allow the older machines to be upgraded - but I'm not clear on what the upgrade covers vs. just buying a newer model.
Correct - I have the CM550, to which I recently applied the software upgrade. That gives me (as others have said) the RGB (colour) scanning, the ability to read SVG files and some minor miscellaneous changes.

With it being a software upgrade, not hardware, the older machines don't have the larger screen of the SnC2, nor do you get the wireless connectivity option. So far I am delighted with the improvements to my old machine; I had started researching the option of upgrading to a new machine, but here in NZ it's an expensive process so I'll keep my old machine with its new-look software.

That could equally be a relatively low-cost option for anyone who can pick up an old machine cheaply and upgrade the software (the upgrade is free, and easy to apply).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I've never considered an electronic machine, partly because I tried my daughter's Cricut and a Child's Year cartridge I bought for cheap. It was horrible to try to get it to do what I wanted, and it never did. I'm not intuitive with computers. I don't know what SVG means.
This sounds like something different! I'm so glad you posted photos of what it can do.
It's now on Amazon for $249. I don't think they charge tax.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 931 Likes on 852 Posts

I have an older model of the Scan&cut CM100DM Red. Originally I got a Cricut, tried using it but had a ton of issues with paper over sticking and shredding or not sticking at all or I wasted alot because I couldn't get the size right. :mad: On top of that I was buying cartridges where there was really only I image that I wanted. I believe there were times that I didn't use that machine for months and once it was for an entire year. I read up on the Scan and Cut and realized that this was actually what I really needed.:o To be able to cut out my stamped images! The Cm100DM suited me perfectly! I don't need many other shapes for the cards I make. And in reality this machine has more than enough shapes for me to choose from if I need them. But....OMG...My stamped images cut out beautifully!!! I'm totally loving this machine! Mine was about $400 but so so worth it! I don't think anyone will be dissappointed with a Scan and Cut. Go to the web site and check out their comparison charts to see whats right for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I am seriously thinking of buying the CM350R soon, and have some questions:
1. In demos I have seen them use the scan mat that has a loose flap and cut outs were placed inside to scan. Is that something you buy separately? or is it included?
2. Do you need to buy an additional cutting mat to begin with? How fast to they wear out?
3. Do you need to buy a deep cut blade for heavier cardstock, or only to cut thick items, like felt or thin cardboard?
4. Are you able to scan an item, like a real doily, then save it and cut it out of different papers? I have not seen that demonstrated, nor described. It seems that it cuts out the image you stick to the mat, cutting the paper you stick to the mat.
I'm not computer savvy and don't know about Cloud-based blah, blah, nor SVG files, so I don't understand a lot of the things on the Brother website.
TIA!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Yesterday, on Amazon, it was $249. Today, $299.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2016, 10:16 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 344 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I am seriously thinking of buying the CM350R soon, and have some questions:
1. In demos I have seen them use the scan mat that has a loose flap and cut outs were placed inside to scan. Is that something you buy separately? or is it included?
2. Do you need to buy an additional cutting mat to begin with? How fast to they wear out?
3. Do you need to buy a deep cut blade for heavier cardstock, or only to cut thick items, like felt or thin cardboard?
4. Are you able to scan an item, like a real doily, then save it and cut it out of different papers? I have not seen that demonstrated, nor described. It seems that it cuts out the image you stick to the mat, cutting the paper you stick to the mat.
I'm not computer savvy and don't know about Cloud-based blah, blah, nor SVG files, so I don't understand a lot of the things on the Brother website.
TIA!!
Answers as far as I know:

1. the scan mat is usually a separate purchase. You might get lucky and find it included in a special package; that would depend on the seller. It's not an essential accessory, more of a nice to have.
2. You shouldn't need to buy a separate mat straight off. They don't so much wear out as lose their stickiness. There are lots of hints and videos around as to how to replenish or replace the stickiness. Clean the mat after each use with alcohol-free baby wipes to extend its life. Also be careful not to extend the blade so far that it cuts through the mat. If it's at the right depth it will cut through the cardstock and leave a faint visible line on the mat. Err on the side of caution while you're getting to know how your machine behaves.
3. The deep cut blade is for heavier media. I haven't yet used my standard blade on a higher setting than 4 and it's been fine on various weights of card stock (not cardboard).
4. When you scan a pattern, you have a choice of 3 scanning modes - outline, region and line (I think those are the names). In theory you could scan something like a doily with the right mode, but it might not pick up all the detail. I haven't tried it personally. My guess is that it's difficult otherwise somebody would have made a video. You can also scan to cut data (i.e. scan and then cut the original - but not if it's on a scanning mat!) or scan and save the result to the machine or to a USB stick plugged into the machine. In the latter case you can then read the pattern back in to the machine, edit or adjust it if necessary and then cut something else which you will have loaded on to the mat by then.

If you only work with the machine itself, you can manage without Canvas (the cloud-based software) and without SVG files. However you might come to love the machine so much that you'll want to find out all of its possibilities, and then you would benefit from learning the extra stuff.

It is like any other machine. There is a learning curve. If at first you don't succeed, walk away and put the kettle on. It's usually easier to work out what went wrong after a bit of time out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reviews. I am giving my sister my Cricut Expression because hers came damaged and they don't have any in stock. With that being said I am now on the look out for a new cutter :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

The Brother ScanNCut looks intriguing but I have a gazillion cut files for my Cameo and those are in .Studio format so they won't cut on any other machine.

If they were in SVG format it would be different . The Cameo was my first and only electronic cutter and I didn't realize the cut files would be useless if I decided to buy a different machine .

I Have designer edition so I can convert SVG to .Studio but not convert .Studio files to SVG files :(

I will keep this info for the day when my Cameo stops working .
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Robin, Scrapbook.com now has a sale on die cutting machines. Scan N Cut included. I looked at it, and they add shipping. Mine would have been $13+, but still a good deal.
I don't think I would get a lot of use out of it, and I don't get along well with computers, or I would buy there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up Harvestmoon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 450 Likes on 304 Posts

I can't afford an electronic machine yet, but am trying to figure out which to get if I ever can...kinda wanted to be able to buy files to cut too and maybe make some of my own, not just scan things in...so not sure if this is the one I'll go with, but it does sound tempting. Be awhile before I can afford it though...so guess I have time to decide. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes