Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2022, 05:29 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ink Pads...

If you could buy a new set of ink pads for yourself what would you get?

My SU ones are old now and very big for storage so looking to upgrade for my birthday next month. However I don't know what to get!!

Looking for the full range of colours but not distress inks. Not my jam.

Bonus points if they are sold for a good price in Australia too cause shipping is poop!!

- Elisha
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
sacstamper (05-11-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 05:34 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I don’t know about shipping but if I were looking for new inks, I would probably investigate Katherine Pooler inks. From videos, they seem like they stamp well (even solid images) and can also be used for ink blending.

But I guess it depends on what you like to do. That might determine what you need

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2022, 07:02 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I don’t know about shipping but if I were looking for new inks, I would probably investigate Katherine Pooler inks. From videos, they seem like they stamp well (even solid images) and can also be used for ink blending.

But I guess it depends on what you like to do. That might determine what you need
Its crafting we need it all :P

Thank you though these were on my radar but wasn't sure if anyone had tried them to give feedback!
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 01:14 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Are you good with full size or would prefer cubes to save space?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2022, 02:01 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

The only non-SU! inks I have are a few from Close to My Heart (nice colors, don't like the current pads with the funky magnet lids) and a few from Catherine Pooler which I like very much. I got them through scrapbook.com. Not sure what is available in Australia.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

It does depend what you want to do. For a general all-purpose ink, I like the hybrid inks (I have the full set from Impression Obsession) - they stamp crisply, dry quickly, layer nicely, and are compatible (no bleeding) with alcohol markers, water, and pencil blending solvents.

Here's a review I did on my blog when the IO ones came out:
Dina Kowal Creative: Impression Obsession hybrid inks
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by dini:
Alice in Md (04-12-2022), ozarkstamper (04-16-2022), pepperann (05-14-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 04:29 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like Gina K ink pads. Beautiful colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
from the heart (04-14-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 05:45 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

No matter what you get, be sure you can get the reinkers that go with them. I like my ink to match my cardstock and markers, so I usually get SU. Because I have a friend who sells it, I can look at the actual products before I buy them---the way you used to be able to do when there were so many lovely stamp stores everywhere. Way back when I used CTMH, but I don't like the cardstock. And why are so many companies making it so difficult to get to you inks? I like the old fashioned clam shell style so I can open it one handed without getting my fingers messy. Still have a lot of Color Box for when I need pigment, but you can't get them any more. May have to find a new favorite there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2022, 06:15 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I really like my Altenew inks. They have so many lovely layering stamps and their inks can be bought in sets of 4 to do the layering with. I also love their Permanent Black. So crisp and is compatible with all coloring mediums!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2022, 08:56 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I could choose only one set of pads, I'd select Versafine Claire. They have a lovely, though limited color palate and are wonderful for embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
sacstamper (05-11-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 05:11 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I’ve used a a few different brands over the years, but SU are still my faves. I too like that my inks, papers, markers, etc all match! I have a full set of Spectrum Noir alcohol markers I invested in before SU came out with their Blends. Spectrum Noir colors compliment SU colors extremely well and work well in combination with the Blends too.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2022, 07:30 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf Gina K inks

I have to agree with Lilyzee... Gina K inks are the best on the market!! There is 51 colors plus she just added 6 more. They are available in cube or full size, they have re-inkers. Her inks have a special smoothing agent in them that makes the final product flawless. You can easily blend over them to create new beautiful colors! If you purchase them on her website www.ginakdesigns.com and you live in the US it is free shipping after $50 in product or if international it is $75.in product. I'm looking to get rid of my mementos and SU ink pads. I have all the Gina K colors and I love them. She also has what is called amalgam ink and it is great for all coloring. Pencil and Gamsol, alcohol inks or watercolors. Her black onyx and Obsidian black amalgam are a true black. Gina K gets my vote every time!!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by from the heart:
ChrisO (04-14-2022), DianeinSparks (04-14-2022), sacstamper (05-11-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 02:58 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Wondering why you don't want Distress? I have several brands of inks and SU are the Worst, always bubbling on clear stamps. Pooler inks are Very strong colors. Altenew is lovely.
HOWEVER, I reach for my Distress Oxides before anything else. I don't do Tim Holtz style of cards, and can't master his tricks. I love them because they stamp clearly and cleanly, and do solid images wonderfully. Amazing color range. AND they are water-based, so easy clean up.
For outlines and black sentiments, I love Versafine Claire. I had been using Memento Tuxedo and had to stamp several times even after reinking the pad, to get a good black image. I actually squealed in delight with my first Claire stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2022, 05:14 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Distress Oxides are totally different than regular Distress. Oxides leave a chalky finish---fine if that's what you want. Regular are very blendable dye inks, but you must like small square pads. I find any inks do poorly with clear stamps---one reason I only use rubber. SU inks are fine for most things, but I really dislike the stiff foam pads. Give me linen for dye inks anytime. It's all in what works for you. I can blend easily with SU, but use Memories for when I want to watercolor. After heat setting they work just as well as Staz-on which has a smell I can't abide. I can do all I need to do with SU die inks, a few neutral Memories Dye inks and some Color box pigment inks along with Versamark for embossing. Again, all depends on what you want to do and what works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2022, 08:26 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

lisha_1988 take a look at Natasha Footes channel. She has a lot of recommendations for inks. She is from New Zealand. Her resources for affordable inks will be closer in area for you. You are getting great suggestions. I keep thinking these suggestions are American currency. I would hate for you to be priced out of your budget.
jeanne3579 I agree with you about Oxides. They are house paint chalky. Not a critique just observation. . Pure stamping I get varied results since I stamp on a wide variety of papers. That can be said of all our inks.

I agree I love SU’s linen pads. I have two inks with the foam pads. I don’t dislike them but I prefer the linen. I tend to be a purist with my coloring mediums.

I have started looking at Versafine Clair’s more seriously.

Does anyone know if the new StazOn formula has that same smell? Love StaOn but I am with jeanne on that smell. I don’t like my ink to smell like cyanide.

Sorrry for the formatting. I think SCS had a glitch. I tried to fix it on my side.

Last edited by lylacfey; 04-21-2022 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes