Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ink Pad company Reviews

So I am looking at buying some ink pads, and was curious what you ladies like and why?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm prolly one of the few here who does not have any SU! inks--not against them, just don't have them.

I like Colorbox chalk inks from Clearsnap for their smooth application and the soft look they provide, especially for backgrounds. Tsukineko makes lots of nice inks. Their watermark pad can be used to make tone on tone effects, resists, and for embossing. I'm not a fan of their Versamagic chalk inks, as I think they are a little dry. That's not a quality issue, just a matter of preference. The Brilliance pigment ink (also from Tsukineko) is great for embossing. Staz-on solvent ink is excellent when you need to stamp on non-porous surfaces. The Tim Holtz Distress inks from Ranger are a little different, because they are wetter than most other dye inks. At first I was like, "What the heck?" but now that I've experimented with them, they are really neat for distressed effects, making cool backgrounds, etc.

I've tried a variety of dye inks from most of the major companies (except SU!) and have liked all of them for the most part. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the major brands of ink are very good. You just have to choose what inks work best for various techniques and what your preferences are in terms of colors, drying times, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have a large variety of ink pads, many different brands/types. I think it totally depends on what kind of stamping you like to do. Also, if you use clear stamps more than rubber, there are certain types of inks that work better with clear. For example, I mostly stamp outline images to color in with colored pencils and OMS. This means I have to use an ink that doesn't smear when I'm blending the colored pencil, so I have found Vivid ink to be the best for me. I have also used Palette and Memento inks for this technique. If I am stamping any other type of image, not necessarily to color in, I usually use whatever ink has the color I like best. This ranges from Papertrey Ink's 'Perfect Match', SU classic inks, Adirondack, to Fluid Chalks and Versamagic.
HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I second the Colorbox Chalk inks from Clearsnap. I use them for a lot of direct to paper techniques and just plain stamping. My Colorbox Chalks and pigments inks from Clearsnap are usually my go to inks. I don't own and have never tried Stampin' up inks, but I understand many people swear by them. Recently, I have been using Memento dye inks (Tsukineko) for a lot of stamping since I have been coloring with Copics. I really like them and they come in some very pretty shades. The Versamark ink pad is a must have since you can use it for so many different techniques. I also like the Brilliance ink pads as well. I have many of the Tim Holtz distress inks, but hardly every use them. Maybe I just don't really know how to use them right, but I never get good results. Since one of their uses is with water, I find that just the oils and moisture from my hands causes them to bleed very easily, so I end up ruining my work whenever I use those inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

oh wow..... I didn't realize there was so much to go into this. Until this point, I have een like here is a stamp, here is the ink pad, wow I have an image! But I didn't realize that depending on the technique I may want to use a different type of ink. I really like the Tim Holtz inks and use them very often for my scrapbooking. I do have some of the small Memento stamps as well as the Brilliance stamps, but thought that I may want to expand my stamp pad collection. I had been looking at the Stamping UP! ink pads, and really like that they offer the colors in both the large pad size and the small size so that the colors match. I'm kinda weird like that and like to stick with a company line lol. I guess I am going to have to try different techniques and such and see what works best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pSaMuseView Post
So I am looking at buying some ink pads, and was curious what you ladies like and why?

Here's a Great review for everyone to read. This was made up by one of our SCS members.

http://ellenhutson.typepad.com/in_to...en-hutson

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scubasubie

I'm a big fan of Tsukineko inks. I LOVE the memento line for when I'm using copic markers. I love the brilliance and also their VersaCraft for embossing. VersaFine is good for stamps that have intricate details and fine lines.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
Here's a Great review for everyone to read. This was made up by one of our SCS members.

http://ellenhutson.typepad.com/in_to...en-hutson.html
Oh Wow! That is super awesome! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Oh Wow! That is super awesome! Thanks!

You're Welcome!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a huge Palette ink fan. I like that the color selection is huge. But my favorite part is that they're meant to be used on multiple types of surfaces- paper, fabric, wood, etc. So I don't need a different type of ink for a different job. Only one! The only other ink I have is versamark for embossing. Plus the coverage is great and they dry within SECONDS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a large element of personal preference here. Accordingly, my recommendation is to not buy a LOT of one type. buy a few different kinds and decide what you like best.

ps. also look at the size and shape and method of opening and closing the ink pads. some have lids attached (SU and Versafine come to mind) but most don't. It just depends on what you prefer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I like Stampin' Up! inkpads simply because they are CHILD PROOF! My 3 and 7 year old haven't reliably figured out how to open the inks by themselves when they get an urge to stamp at my craft desk. So it forces them to ask for help before they get into anything. :mrgreen:

Plus the SU! inks match all my paper and stuff. Bonus!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

I have several different kinds but Palette is my favorite by a long shot!
TAC Angel #4615
Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

I had been looking at the Stamping UP! ink pads, and really like that they offer the colors in both the large pad size and the small size so that the colors match.!
Quite a few of the inks already mentioned come in a choice of pad sizes. The Fluid Chalks come in a "cats eye" pad for example as well as the full size. The Tsukineko inks like Brilliance and Memento are available as "dew drop" pads and Versafine and Versacraft come as one inch cubes as well as full size. Small pads can be a great way to get a good variety of ink colours without having to get too spendy!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I, too, have many inks from various companies. After watching Tim Holtz how-to-videos on Youtube, I collected the distress inks and love playing with what they can do. My go-to-ink for copic is Memento. I like coordinated colors for paper, inks, ribbons, buttons...so I have all the Papertrey (palette) inks which I use most often. Versamark for embossing...or TopBoss.

I don't have any SU ink pads (even though I would love to have the whole collection).

I started with small cubes with Palette....loved them...and now I am getting the pads.

I agree...personal preference and purpose for inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

At the moment I am in love with VersaFine.

Susan
http://www.cardmaking-companion.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Love Tsukineko - they seem to work well with everything! I get mixed results with Palette but love the colours, and also that I can stamp on fabric, not sure if the new formula will allow this! Love the ranger distress, have some adirondak but they are seldom used, not sure why...Memento are fab!!!and great for copics!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

I own SU, Memento, Versamark, Vivid and Pallete inks. For overall best impression, I found that Vivid is the best. I just found this out and would gladly replace my SU colors, if they were available in Vivid inks. For coloring with Copics, Memento is my first choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After a while the SU ink pads will bevel in the middle and it gets really hard to ink larger stamps.
There are also a few colors that the ink will change over time.
I am slowly changing over to CTMH for several on my colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The SU! pads are actually manufactured with the bevel in the centre. Just make sure that you are cognizant of this when inking your stamps, and you shouldn't have any issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MingoView Post
The SU! pads are actually manufactured with the bevel in the centre. Just make sure that you are cognizant of this when inking your stamps, and you shouldn't have any issues.
Several of mine have become more beveled over time. I myself do not like this.
I did find that with CTMH pads they are much easier to ink large stamps as they don't sag in the center over time like my SU ones do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too am a fan of the Pallate and Fluid Chalk pads. I also really like the Memories brand which I believe is from Stewart, the same company that makes the Pallate. Your choice of ink is going to depend on your need, but I always prefer a permanent pad to a non-permanent (SU pads are not permanent.) I too agree with going with the smaller sized pads, much more bang for your buck and nearly all stamp pads have a cooresponding re-inker to further the life of those little cubes and drops. (Now, if only I had packed my re-inkers and not stupidly put them in storage. That said, my fluid chalk pads are still quite juicy even after several years.)

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like Stazon for non porous surfaces or watercoloring. I like the opaque Stazon for acetate.

I LOVE Brilliance inks for the gorgeous metallic looks they have, and they are great for detailed stamps.

I like Memento for Copics. I have black, brown, and gray, which pretty much covers the outline colors I would need to stamp when coloring with Copics.

I love the Ranger Distress inks for distressing, and sponging.

I like the Colorbox chalk inks. They give a matte, chalky look.

I like Ranger Adirondack inks for sponging.

I like Versamark for embossing.
I like the PTI Fresh Snow and Vintage Cream inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love Tsukineko - Versamagic, Versafine, Versacolor, Brilliance, Encore metallics, Mementor, Splendor, Opalite - they cover all the bases and come in wonderful colors.

Ranger has wonderful ink - Adirondack, Tim Holtz Distress, Nick Bantok and a few others

Clearsnap has great inks - Colorbox (my fave basic pigment ink), Fluid Chalk, Vivid, Ancient Page. I haven't bought any of their inks for a few years, so hope they have maintained the quality.

Stampin' Up has colors that match the paper and accessories which I love, but frankly the ink does not compare to the others. The craft ink is the worst. I totally do no understand this because the Gardiners own Clearsnap. All I can think of is that it would be too expensive to re-formulate the SU colors in CLearsnap products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

I bet you wished you never asked this question!
Everyone has their favorites. I think it all depends on what you do with the stamps and what kind of stamping. That's why some people have numerous favorites. I go in streaks. Sometimes it's SU, sometimes brilliance, Distress are fun IMHO, Adirondak are great, Versafine for detail images. I never got into the chalk inks and Pallet just wasn't great for me either but you might like them. I would suggest seeing if you can find someone that has different ones and try them out. But if you are looking for a black, I would suggest the Memento. AND get the refills. I know it's expensive buy you won't regret it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Ah heck. I love them all.

Actually, I am a tiny bit more picky.

Ranger: I adore their Distress Inks, Nick Bantock, and their Adirondack inks. Alcohol inks are a blast, but are a different category.

Tsukineko: Huge fan of VersaFine, Memento, Brilliance, and StazOn inks (and I love that almondy smelll). VersaMark is an essential tool for me. Their chalk inks (VersaMagic?) are pretty colors, but need to be heat set quickly before I smear 'em.

Palette: I really like the Paper Trey White and the Black.

ColorBox: I really love their chalk inks and the petal points.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

I mostly use Memento (yummy colors!), Colorbox Fluid Chalk, Versamark, and Brilliance, but my go-to blacks are actually from A Muse. Their black dye ink is really black and fabulous with Copics, and their black pigment ink is also very black and works great for embossing (if I'm not using Versamark for some reason, like I can't find it . . . )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Can't argue with any of the recommendations - I would just say that my personal preference at the moment is Memento. I have all the colors in dew drops. They are great for line stamps and for 3&4 step stamps as there is sheerness to them though their coverage is great. Most of the really pretty (IMO) work I have seen with Kitchen Sink Stamps is with Memento pads and their stamps.

I think I'm an inkpad collector, but I only buy the large size if it is something I use loads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

I use Memento with my Copic Markers, and I love Stazon
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have urm lots of different ink manufactors in lots of colours! but my go tos are memento, stazon, brilliance and archival.....all in black. But as has been recommended I would get the 'spots' 'dewdrops' or 'tears' first to try them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I use Copic markers A LOT and I reviewed two inks that are great for coloring. One commonly used, and one ink NOT so commomly used.

http://tobicrawford.blogspot.com/200...e-opinion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

ColorBox chalk and pigment, Brilliance, Versafine, Tim Holtz Distress Inks.
I think I have about four colours of StazOn, and one Memento - Black. If I'm sending any RAK images that's the one I now use, because it'll be fine with whatever choice of medium is used for colouring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoggkView Post
I own SU, Memento, Versamark, Vivid and Pallete inks. For overall best impression, I found that Vivid is the best. I just found this out and would gladly replace my SU colors, if they were available in Vivid inks. For coloring with Copics, Memento is my first choice.
I agree 10000% I LOVE Vivid and Memento. They totally rock. And, Vivid ink is the only ink I have ever used where I can pull clear stamps right out of the package and get a solid beautiful image first time with NO stamp conditioning. It's amazing ink.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm telling you... If you read my review you won't love Memento so much... Nick Bantock by Ranger is AWESOME!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Ooohh, SU! Bold Brights ink pads are near the top on my Christmas list!!! I really got into cards just about a year ago, and the Versa Color inks worked fine for that time. Now that I'm 'expanding my horizons', the SU! ink pads are looking nicer and nicer, but I would recommend Versa Color to anyone who just wants to dabble in cardmaking for a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Another really great black is India Ink Black by Stewart Superior. Works beautifully on my rubber and clear stamps. I've not tried Nick Bantock's black yet, but I have six or seven of his other colors. They are gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by karentomView Post
I use Memento with my Copic Markers, and I love Stazon
Karen S

Karen have you tried Palette Noir ink with your Copic Markers?

If not you should.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
Karen have you tried Palette Noir ink with your Copic Markers?

If not you should.
I have and I've had it run and the lines get fuzzy with intense blending, and I use PTI paper.. That's why I use the Nick Bantock Ink...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

I have all the SU colors, and most of the in-colors only because of the matching. But I don't like how they sag.. and get lumpy and bumpy. I think they look a bit watery too, and you can't do anything "wet" around your stamped images.. no glue even, or it will smear. I love Memento and Palette. Those are my go-to inks, I have never had a bad experience with either of them. When I'm using my clear stamps I reach for Colorbox or Vivid. Yes you absolutely need Versamark too.. great water marks, great for embossing-- and you can take your waterbased inks (like SU) stamp first in the Versamark then into your color pad, and it will stay wet enough that you can emboss it with clear EP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I think what brand of Ink you buy depends on the cardstock supplier you support most if matching matters to you. I am very picky when matching and since I buy SU! CS, I use SU! Ink. If you buy Papertrey, get the matching inks. I miss pink pirouette CS so I am going to try PTI sweet blush and I'll get the matching ink. If you use or plan to use Copics, Memento is the ink of choice recommended by almost all the 'experts'. The official website says you can use it for watercolouring too.

Of course for different techniques different inks are required buy most of that has been touched on.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes