Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm torn...

Next week is my birthday. My husband has asked what I want for my birthday. I usually ask for Pandora jewelry, but since I started card making, I've been asking for anything that would help my in my new found hobby. For my anniversary gift my husband gave me a Westminster Edition of the Big Shot Pro. My Christmas gift included a gift card to Joann's. Valentines gift was a nice purchase from Joann's. Now it's my birthday and I'm torn. I'd like a Cameo or the Eclips, but I'm not sure if I will use it enough. I already have a Cuttlebug, the BSP, and a Slice Elite. Do I really need it, or has all the talk about those cutters just been whetting my appetite? Can someone please help?!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Woot, you're so spoiled! Let me extend a premature Happy Bday to youuu.
Now, for your question. I honestly am not falling into the hype. I have a Cricut Imagine I'm trying to sell off because I just don't use it. I don't have the patience to wait for it to cut, much less to print! And it's such a pain, going through the whole booklet each time I need to cut something to make a card. I have a Big Shot pro and nesties and other dies and I'm sticking to that. No more machines with cartridges or design cards or SVG files or whatever for me. Pain in the behind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been making cards for quite a few years, and every so often, I see a demo on the shopping channel for some kind of electronic cutting machine, like the Cricut. For a few moments, I may be tempted. But then I just know myself too well. I know I would not want to fool with it, learn how it works, have a place dedicated to keep it, etc.

I am so happy with my trusty little dependable Cuttlebug and all the dies and embossing folders I've accumulated. All I had to learn about the Cuttlebug was how to make a "sandwich" and how to turn the handle, lol. No electronic machines for me.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Happy Birthday!

i would say instead of buying another machine, maybe use the $ for dies for the ones you already have. treat yourself to that one special die you've been waiting to buy.....

i have found i am just not an electric machine gal. i had a cricut and lots of carts, but it grew dusty so i sold it. and i have a Slice, but it too sits dusty.

what i always reach for and enjoy the most are my punches, sizzix machines and dies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll love the Cameo. The nice thing about it is that you don't have to buy any more expensive dies and you can resize the shapes. I have a Silhouette and I love it and use it all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Happy Birthday!!!!!

Yeah to DH's who love to spoil. I have one too.

Do you love die cutting? Are you more of a stamping girl? I have noticed that most stamping girls love their manual cutters and don't really use their electronic cutters. Die cutting artists, of course, can't live without a variety of cutters.

I love die cutting. I love the art form of die cutting. I own several machines and use them constantly because I love to die cut.

I love my Cameo. It's one of the best die cutting machines I have ever owned or worked with. I have been working a long time with die cutting machines. I do get a lot of use out of it. It does help me save money on punches and dies. It also helps save space too.

There are learning curves to all the electronic cutters and you do need to take time to set down and learn about them to get the most use out of it.

If you don't like being tied to your computer when your creating then an electronic cutter might not be a good fit. If you enjoy digital design work and want a physical copy of it then a electronic die cutters is a good tool to have.

If you have a local scrapbook or stamp store near you they might have an electronic cutter you can play with to see if it's a good fit for you. You can also try the library. Most stores and libraries carry the Cricut line but you can still get a good idea.

I agree with the other girls who posted above me. Don't get involved in the hype. Buy tools that fit your needs and grow from there. I know that is very hard when your just starting out because your trying to learn what your needs are.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple ideas from me: I have a Cricut, Cricut Expression and a Big Shot and am thinking about a Silhouette Cameo. But then I ask myself how much I would use it. So I have decided that when my Expression goes, I will get another electronic die cutter. In the meantime, I love my Big Shot dies and the various projects I can make with them so that is what I am spending my money on. If you are a cardmaker, do you have nice set of markers? I have both SU markers and Copics. Do you have an iPad2? I got one just because, but I love it! If I see a card or project on the internet that I like, I press on the photo and hold down for a couple of seconds and it is saved to my Gallery on my iPad2. When I want to see a card or project again, there it is. I take the iPad down to my scraproom and it is on my island--very convenient. I am good at spending money! lol!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Happy Birthday!

If I were you I would ask myself - Do I enjoy die cutting? Have I exhausted the capabilities of the existing diecutting machines I own? Do the electronic diecutters have something that I've been wishing for? If the answer to these is yes then I would go and buy one.

Talking about myself, I've a Big Shot as well as Cricut Expression and I use my Cricut a lot. Just recently I made this card which is a lot of die cutting and no stamping: Have a whale of a time by smriti - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers. So yes I use my Cricut a lot and really like electronic diecutters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks everyone for taking the time to offer your thoughts of what I should do. I'm still torn! Part of me wants the Sizzix Eclips, but I'm not super computer literate. My co- workers are probably tired of helping me out with my computer work! My other thought is to ask for Tim Holtz' Distress Markers; and some more scrapbooking tools, i.e., the Ranger heat tool, and a myriad of Distress Inks, Studio 490 and Tim Holtz stamps. What do y'all think? I'm still so torn....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You've gotten lots of pros and cons about the different machines. I know decisions are hard.

Everyone decides for themselves differently, and for different reasons. Myself, I have found that if I have to agonize, and talk myself into something, it always turns out badly.

It sounds to me like you like the "idea" of what the Eclips can do, but you're not sure you want to go through learning how to use it. I can relate to that feeling. Some people are more tech savvy than others, and seem to learn that stuff very quickly and easily. I can learn new things, but it takes me a while, and I can get pretty frustrated in the process.

At this point in my life, I've decided that my computer and my phone, and a camera are about all I want to learn about on the electronic tech front.

I would probably be inclined to go with all the other goodies you mentioned you would like. That would be instant fun!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Personally, I'd go with the ECLIPSE and the MTC software. Message me if you want to know the best deals. The best of both worlds and I own way too many cutters

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I love my electronic cutters. I own a Cameo now, my Expression bit the dust and I wasn't buying another one. So versatile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

smriti- Pretty card. You have great die cutting skills.

TxHoneybee- If you don't like computers too much you might not like a die cutter that is hooked to a computer. There is a bit of a learning curve. You might be happier with a Slice or even a Cricut. Both of those are cartridge base machines. The Cricut is slowly going to digital content. The Slice might be a better fit for you.

If it was me I would go for scrapbooking tools, markers & stamps. I am a tech savvy girl. A lot of times I just want to turn it off. I test software and fix computers as a side job. I have it thrown in my face all day. When I have a chance I hide away from all my tech gadgets and read books with covers, lol. Craft with non-tech tools.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

OOH YOU VERY LUCKY LUCKY LADY! I vote for the silouette! but thats just a personal preference lol. another idea would be to use some fun $ to go to a scrapbook expo or CKU with maybe a friend. whatever you get let us know and happy birthday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks DeeAnn

TxHoneyBee, I would go for distress markers and more scrapbooking tools so as to expand my "breadth". You already have a few die cutting machine so unless and until you're a die-hard fan of diecutting it would be nice to explore other tools too. That way you can do a variety of techniques on your card/scrapbook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Again thanks to all. I've decided to ask for a few more Slice cards, and a myriad of goodies from Joann's, and maybe one Pandora charm. My husband was really serious about the electronic cutter, but after reading reviews I became more confused. So I'm gonna give that up for now until I read more on the different electronic cutters. Thanks again ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes