Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-16-2009, 04:40 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How's the Slice Now?

I was all excited to purchase the SU curly label die and movers and shapers die. Pretty pricey for both sets. So I wondered whether I should just invest in an electronic die-cutting machine with the ability to do so much more. I only need a little die-cutter; I don't scrapbook, so I don't need a Cricut (right?). I'm considering the Slice.

I've read oodles of threads on the Slice including those describing the problems owners were having with crooked and incomplete cuts. Seems that MM tried to fix all those. True?

I read about a calibration card. With a new Slice, do you need this? It seems a little silly to buy a machine that doesn't do as it claims w/o something additional.

Are all the problems rectified in the new machines? Is it a good purchase now or are the problems ongoing? Is it a good time to buy or wait b/c an improved versoin is right around the corner?

As always, TIA for your input. :cool:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Slice and haven't had any problems with it. I think it is a good buy, especially if you aren't planning on doing large cuts. The nice thing is that MM is such a great company that if you do have problems, they will fix it for you. Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks crafty1021. I've been researching this all day. :rolleyes: They're releasing a new one in August although I can't find out any of the differences between the current and new ones. Guess I'll wait till next month to pull the trigger on this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

If you only do cards the Cricut is overkill. I'm selling mine to my daughter, since she scraps and is always borrowing it. I'm thinking of getting a Slice with the money. I also use my Tagalong and sizzlets quite a bit for my cards. Somehow the idea of dragging out the Cricut, setting it up and trying to find a place to plug it in, just turned me off! The Slice as far as I know is rechargable and much more portable. Guess I'll hold off a bit and see what improvements they make with the next one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't had any problems with my Slice missing areas or cutting crookedly. I love all the little options from different cartridges, and love that it doesn't take up a huge amount of space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

I also own the Slice and have had no problems with it. I registered my machine at the Making Memories website and they sent me a replacement cartridge for the defective one, without me even asking! I never saw any problems with the origianl cartridge they sent me a replacement for. I second the response that Making Memories is great with customer service. I also love the fact everything is on a small cartridge and storage is so much better than in the old days when we only had Sizzix for die cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I have the Slice, big shot and Cricut Expression. Each of them serve a differnt purpose for me. I really like my slice. I tend to reach for it more often then my cricut. The cartridges are getting better. Since this is a newer system they don't have the variety that the cricut has, but they are releasing new cartridges. I would recommend this tool to anyone. I have not had one complaint. I got mine for my birthday last month and use it every couple of days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

I love my slice machine, although I don't get to use it as often as I like. The calibration card is free, and if your slice doesn't come with the basic shapes card that has the calibration, just register your machine online at whyslice.com and they will send it to you. I got my new card in record time, their service department is fabulous!

They also sent me a replacement glue because mine was "damaged" for lack of a better term. Apparently when they sent shipments over the winter some of the glue got frozen and when it rethawed it totally changed the consistency to silly puddy instead of glue. But again, their service department was great and replaced it without a problem!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I LOVE my slice!! And you can cut that Curly label shape in so many different sizes with the Noteworth card! I matted it on Saturday and put it on a page for journaling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I got the calibration card......... perfect cuts now.......... I am am glad to have the card to calibrate with, as different weights of paper and lots of cutting is going to make slight adjustments, this way I can recalibrate whenever necessary....... I have the cricut also.......... the slice is more sponanteous for me.......... I love them both.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

I spent a lot of online time checking out the SLICE before purchasing it. I was on vacation and missing my Cuttlebug. I would have been lost, if not for watching the hundreds of "how to videos" through a search for SLICE on YouTube. I saw that the circles were egg shaped, so I knew to use the calibration disc that is now INCLUDED with the purchase. Now? I ADORE IT and my husband thinks it's "cute". It's lightweight, portable, and the MARRIAGE disc holds the exact shapes I wanted (like the cuttlebug scallops). But the charged battery life is only good for about four shapes. Then you just plug it in and use it that way. I highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2009, 03:32 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks all for the help. I bought mine yesterday; A.C. Moore let me use a 40% coupon - I got that little guy for $90! I'm thrilled. I also bought the Noteworthy cart; thinking Fa La La will be my next.

Which cartridge do you use most?

Oh, and do you find the desk-top storage unit handy? I'm thinking about that purchase too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2009, 03:39 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I got to see the new slice cartridges in action yesterday, and am excited! I don't recall if all of the cartridges will offer this once you upgrade the software on the machine, but the new cartridges offer a bunch of options including shadows, coloring (there are little markers now), and flipping the image/text. It's supposed to cut faster after the upgraded software, too! VERY cute stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2009, 03:59 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcerView Post
I got to see the new slice cartridges in action yesterday, and am excited! I don't recall if all of the cartridges will offer this once you upgrade the software on the machine, but the new cartridges offer a bunch of options including shadows, coloring (there are little markers now), and flipping the image/text. It's supposed to cut faster after the upgraded software, too! VERY cute stuff.
Uh oh, did I buy too soon? Should I return it and wait for the new machine?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
Which cartridge do you use most?
I definitely use Noteworthy the most (out of the 7 that I currently own); Fa La La is awesome for Christmas stuff. I just ordered Studio Essentials - more labels, frames, tags, tabs, photo corners, etc. I can tell that one is going to give Noteworthy a run for its money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I took my original Slice back because it cut so poorly, but I'm thinking about the new pink machine that's out soon. It comes with a breast cancer support design card. I assume it'll be all upgraded and not have the probs that my first Slice had.

I'm kind of a cutter junkie (electronic cutters, punches, dies, you name it) and don't really need this, but I like the MM designs so much better than what Cricut has been putting out lately, and you can't beat the price of their design cards. Now that the Slice does shadows, that's even better.

I'm thinking of getting it and saying it's for my kids. Bad Mommy.

BTW, back when I returned everything, I ended up keeping the Spellbound card because I bought it online and returning it was going to cost too much. I also have a pack of the original blades. Can I use the original card & blades in the new Slice?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I just got the slice and mine is one that needs to be calibrated. I registered it online and was told they were going to send the card soon. The only thing that does not cut well are the circles and the rectangles. My friend got one the day before I did and her's works perfectly.
I really like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2009, 08:57 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I just spoke to someone at MM and asked what the differences were between the new pink and the old blue and she said "none." I asked about shadowing and she said there would be a new cartridge coming out that would have designs with shadows and all future cartridges would be compatible with both machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I just ordered my Slice yesterday and should get it on Friday. I am excited about using it. I could not justify the cost of or space of a Cricut so I hope I like the Slice. I mostly make cards so the size of the images produced by the Slice seem to be more useful for me.

I think the 'new' Pink Slice is just different in the cosmetic appearance. From what I have read, it is pink in honor of breast cancer awareness since some of the preceeds will go to breast cancer research. I looked up the stores that were supposed to have it - LSS - but none of them had anything on their websites yet but I couldn't wait to 'slice'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Thanks crafty1021. I've been researching this all day. :rolleyes: They're releasing a new one in August although I can't find out any of the differences between the current and new ones. Guess I'll wait till next month to pull the trigger on this one.
So, any news on the new one? Improved? I really liked the idea of this one and the lower cost.

there's a thread about some really new super duper cutter (not even out yet) but it's up to $400!!! Even the Slice is a pipe dream until DH get a job ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 04:21 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommjView Post
So, any news on the new one? Improved? I really liked the idea of this one and the lower cost.

there's a thread about some really new super duper cutter (not even out yet) but it's up to $400!!! Even the Slice is a pipe dream until DH get a job ;)
Hey mommj, this is what I've learned (most of which has been posted above). The blue and pink slice are the same except for the color. The pink was released this month and "is shipping" to stores. I don't know anyone who has seen it on a shelf yet; but the M's and A.C. Moore's I've been to are still getting blue ones. The design cards are universal and should work in either machine.

I bought one about 3 weeks ago. It was great at cutting the big things but mangled my small designs (anything less than 2"). I exchanged it; I was lucky, my store had just gotten a new shipment (literally), so I picked up one the stocker had just taken out of the box and hadn't even locked up yet. I was hopeful that one having just arriven would not need to be calibrated like my first. I was right; it works well, even on little things.

I like my Slice, although I haven't yet figured out how to make the most of my paper (everytime I think I've got it, the blades moves to another part of the paper before it begins cutting). My sister has an Expressions (sure this has been discussed ad nauseum before), and I like the Slice better b/c of waste and frustration. Maybe it's just her (LOL), but it sure seems that her Cricuit jams a lot and doesn't make the best use of paper either. She's always changing blades and stuff and there seems to be a constant challenge of guessing how deep to make the cut for the material being cut - and that's just different thicknesses of standard paper. Again, maybe it's operator-error, but she often has to cut something 2-4 times to get it the way she wants; what a waste. As a card-maker only, I'm okay with the size of Slice designs for most things.

Not having looked closely at the cards before I bought my Slice, I'm not sure what the selection was, but I do think they're coming out with some cute design cards. At least, I've seen some new-to-me that I like. I have 9 so far and a wishlist with about that many. Ritz has a 20% off through the end of the month and makes the cards about $26 (+shipping).

As an example of its being comparatively economical, I've been getting several of the new MS holiday (both Halloween and Christmas) border punches which prompted me to look at some of her matching punches. She had a cute haunted house (appx 1 1/2 - 2") for just under $20. Thankfully I put it back and went to look at the Slice cards; MM has one with about 4 haunted houses + all of the other stuff on the card - and for less than $30 if I buy it at the right place. So, for an extra $10-15 over the punch, I get the haunted hoses and lots of other stuff in adjustable sizes. That's a no-brainer, huh?

For me, this is an interim cutter while I debate between the "big boys" (e.g. Wishblade, Silhouette, etc.) but for the $, it's well worth it.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 04:46 AM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

I own and Wishblade, a Cricut and a Slice and honestly, the Slice is my favorite of the three! The Wishblade has a bit of a learning curve! I have had some problems with mine. The Cricut is nice, but honestly, the cost of the cartridges has kept me from really expanding my options. (I have a hard time buying the cartridges since I own the Wishblade and can cut any font.) The Slice, though, is small and portable. I take it to crops and retreats. It can be used cordless. And, the cartridges are reasonably priced. I use my Slice the most of the three I own. I should just sell my Cricut and stick with the Slice and Wishblade.

The only cons for the Slice for me are the size limitations and having to occasionally reapply the glue for the glass mat. But, I have only had to reapply the glue two or three times and I rarely cut something larger than 4 inches, so it hasn't limited me too much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 07:12 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConniePetertonjesView Post
I own and Wishblade, a Cricut and a Slice and honestly, the Slice is my favorite of the three! The Wishblade has a bit of a learning curve! I have had some problems with mine. The Cricut is nice, but honestly, the cost of the cartridges has kept me from really expanding my options. (I have a hard time buying the cartridges since I own the Wishblade and can cut any font.) The Slice, though, is small and portable. I take it to crops and retreats. It can be used cordless. And, the cartridges are reasonably priced. I use my Slice the most of the three I own. I should just sell my Cricut and stick with the Slice and Wishblade.

The only cons for the Slice for me are the size limitations and having to occasionally reapply the glue for the glass mat. But, I have only had to reapply the glue two or three times and I rarely cut something larger than 4 inches, so it hasn't limited me too much.
Wow! That's quite a testamonial! A friend has had the wish-blade for some time. She's a MAJOR photographer, scrapbooker, and crafter. She duplicates her albums for the children, so creates titles etc on her wishblade instead of messing with stickers. She has also made beautiful fan books and such with intricate mats for the photos - just stunning! The cost of the system though, for me, I know I wouldn't use it enough to justify. I tend to drift back to my very simple scrapbook pages

I do think I'd like the slice for fun things on cards, and just some simple die cuts, decorative mats, and titles for scrapbooking. I actually liked using die cuts in the early days of CM ;) although they 'went out of favor'. I didn't over-do it with them, just used where they really added something the page needed, and I think those pages still look good after all these years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 07:16 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Hey mommj, this is what I've learned (most of which has been posted above). The blue and pink slice are the same except for the color. The pink was released this month and "is shipping" to stores. I don't know anyone who has seen it on a shelf yet; but the M's and A.C. Moore's I've been to are still getting blue ones. The design cards are universal and should work in either machine.

I bought one about 3 weeks ago. It was great at cutting the big things but mangled my small designs (anything less than 2"). I exchanged it; I was lucky, my store had just gotten a new shipment (literally), so I picked up one the stocker had just taken out of the box and hadn't even locked up yet. I was hopeful that one having just arriven would not need to be calibrated like my first. I was right; it works well, even on little things.

I like my Slice, although I haven't yet figured out how to make the most of my paper (everytime I think I've got it, the blades moves to another part of the paper before it begins cutting). My sister has an Expressions (sure this has been discussed ad nauseum before), and I like the Slice better b/c of waste and frustration. Maybe it's just her (LOL), but it sure seems that her Cricuit jams a lot and doesn't make the best use of paper either. She's always changing blades and stuff and there seems to be a constant challenge of guessing how deep to make the cut for the material being cut - and that's just different thicknesses of standard paper. Again, maybe it's operator-error, but she often has to cut something 2-4 times to get it the way she wants; what a waste. As a card-maker only, I'm okay with the size of Slice designs for most things.

Not having looked closely at the cards before I bought my Slice, I'm not sure what the selection was, but I do think they're coming out with some cute design cards. At least, I've seen some new-to-me that I like. I have 9 so far and a wishlist with about that many. Ritz has a 20% off through the end of the month and makes the cards about $26 (+shipping).

As an example of its being comparatively economical, I've been getting several of the new MS holiday (both Halloween and Christmas) border punches which prompted me to look at some of her matching punches. She had a cute haunted house (appx 1 1/2 - 2") for just under $20. Thankfully I put it back and went to look at the Slice cards; MM has one with about 4 haunted houses + all of the other stuff on the card - and for less than $30 if I buy it at the right place. So, for an extra $10-15 over the punch, I get the haunted hoses and lots of other stuff in adjustable sizes. That's a no-brainer, huh?

For me, this is an interim cutter while I debate between the "big boys" (e.g. Wishblade, Silhouette, etc.) but for the $, it's well worth it.

HTH
Thanks! I definitely would want the slice before any "figure" punches. I love my circle/square/stars etc punches for quick and easy, but the space and WEIGHT of all those designs! No way! I just didn't want to buy something that wouldn't work most of the time. It sounds like the customer service and ease of exchanging problem machines is balancing that out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 07:17 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana JoyView Post
I spent a lot of online time checking out the SLICE before purchasing it. I was on vacation and missing my Cuttlebug. I would have been lost, if not for watching the hundreds of "how to videos" through a search for SLICE on YouTube. I saw that the circles were egg shaped, so I knew to use the calibration disc that is now INCLUDED with the purchase. Now? I ADORE IT and my husband thinks it's "cute". It's lightweight, portable, and the MARRIAGE disc holds the exact shapes I wanted (like the cuttlebug scallops). But the charged battery life is only good for about four shapes. Then you just plug it in and use it that way. I highly recommend it.
The battery life is a little disappointing. I've been thinking about this little guy (after I find a job of course) so I can keep on my desk when I'm scrapping. But my outlet is several feet away. I was hoping it would last for at least an hour or more before needing to be plugged in.

Does everyone else have this experience?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 07:34 AM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Wow! That's quite a testamonial! A friend has had the wish-blade for some time. She's a MAJOR photographer, scrapbooker, and crafter. She duplicates her albums for the children, so creates titles etc on her wishblade instead of messing with stickers. She has also made beautiful fan books and such with intricate mats for the photos - just stunning! The cost of the system though, for me, I know I wouldn't use it enough to justify. I tend to drift back to my very simple scrapbook pages
The wishblade is super cool and if I took the time to learn how to use it, I am sure I would love it. But, it isn't easy to learn. Lots of tutorials out there. I can see the potential. The other problem with it for me is that I don't scrap/stamp near my computer. And, I don't have a laptop. So, the Slice fills that gap. Plus, most of the time, I just use it to cut titles!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I just got one of the UPDATED MS+ cards, and I like my slice even more, and i have collected cutting machines and this osne gets used the most (pazzles, cricut, wizard, slice).... Yes in the beginning i got wonky cuts on small items, but the new calibration card took care of that. I called about the Pink Slice, no difference, since i I am not a fan of pink, I was only interested to know if it had improved or added any new features.

Now i am reseaching the the new Craftwell cutter that is supposed to be available for Christmas, looks promising, take a look:

http://craftwellusa.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Another new die cutter? Glad I have my little Slice. It'll do just fine while I wait on the perfect big one.

In the meantime, check out this link: http://whyslice.com/Products/categories/design-cards

It has all the new Slice cards. AND they each do shadowing and mirroring AND they will each speed up the cutting time of the little guy. If I didn't have one already, I'd be leaving now to go buy a Slice. The more I learn about it, the more I like it.

The battery -yes, I agree, it's kinda weak. The extension cord is long enough for me (table is about 8' from an outlet) to keep it plugged into the wall while use it. That's good enough for me!
Reply With Quote Likes