Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Printing vs Going to a printer

I've been using a lot of downloads from Etsy lately, and have now run out of ink. I'm wondering if it's worth another $30 on ink cartridges compared to just going to the nearby UPS store. Copies there are about .72 cents each.

Would going to a printer be cheaper in the end? Or am I better off buying cartridges every two weeks?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

One way I save on ink is to print everything on "draft" quality. The color pictures come out just fine unless they are super-pale.

Now, if I was printing scrapbook paper that is downloadable, I would be looking for a color laser printer.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
One way I save on ink is to print everything on "draft" quality. The color pictures come out just fine unless they are super-pale.

Now, if I was printing scrapbook paper that is downloadable, I would be looking for a color laser printer.
I have an old Kodak ESP 3 printer, and a new printer isn't really in the cards right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2017, 01:15 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

I use a canon G-2000 inkjet printer that has refillable ink tanks. I also have a canon Imageclass laser printer. I buy all my ink and toner that is not canon brand from amazon. Saves a lot of money. I do so much custom favor work that I need the ability to print from home and on the spot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2017, 05:04 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JuanCena I loved my Kodak printer until it died. Cheap ink and it printed very well. Very easy to use. I would buy another if they still sold them. I hate going to Walmart and getting out is inconvenient at times. So I print my pictures.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2017, 06:26 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

Default Instant Ink

Another alternative - after a friend told me about it, I signed up for HP's "Instant Ink" program & I love it! You choose which plan you want - each plan gives you a different number of pages you can print per month- and they send you free high-capacity ink cartridges, no limit on the amount of ink you use. They ship out new cartridges to you in plenty of time, so that you don't run out of ink. You do have to have an HP printer - but I hunted around & found one on sale for $39 at the time & it's done a great job for me. It came with a coupon for 4 months free Instant Ink service & boy, did I take advantage of that! I've printed almost 1200 pages now -- stacks & stacks of full-color patterned papers for cards & crafts, a good many 8x10 photos, and all sorts of stuff - mostly "high-ink-usage" items. I'm on my 7th color cartridge right now, and my 3rd black cartridge, and it didn't cost me a penny, until just a few days ago, when I finally ran out of my "free time" & paid for my next month service.

They have three different monthly plans - a 300-page plan ($9.99), 100-page ($4.99), and 50-page ($2.99)-- if you go over the limit, it's either 25 pages for $1 or 20 pages for $1, depending on which plan you have. Well worth it, IMO, if you do a lot of printing that uses a high amount of ink. I used the 300-page plan during my 'free time', I'll possibly drop down to one of the smaller plans now (you can change your plan at any time - and your allotment of pages "rolls over" also if you don't use it all up during the month)

If you mostly just print simple text documents & rarely print anything that uses up ink, it probably wouldn't be a good idea - but it's great for craft stuff & photos or anything that uses a high amount of ink! It is such a great feeling, to print anything I want, without even thinking about how much ink I'm using!

LOL - I don't mean to sound like a salesman - haha -- I don't have any connection w/ HP, other than being a customer - but I have enjoyed this SO very much!!! I used to see all these nice printables, and beautiful full-color digital papers & such - but couldn't use them, because the ink cost so much -- now I can print all of that without worrying about the ink! I love it! (I don't know if it's permissible for me to post a link, but if you simply Google 'HP Instant Ink', you'll find info about it)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have often looked at those downloadable files on Etsy and been tempted. But the high ink use was a deterrent. I have an HP printer, so maybe I'll look in those plans, thanks ravyn.

The other question I had, though, was paper. Copy paper is not like DP. Do people print out on copy paper and use that or buy something else, like a glossy brochure paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I have often looked at those downloadable files on Etsy and been tempted. But the high ink use was a deterrent. I have an HP printer, so maybe I'll look in those plans, thanks ravyn.

The other question I had, though, was paper. Copy paper is not like DP. Do people print out on copy paper and use that or buy something else, like a glossy brochure paper?

Based on a recommendation I read somewhere here a while back, I've been buying Hammermill Digital Color Copy cardstock - both in the 110 lb weight for heavier use, and then the 60lb weight for ordinary things. It's reasonably priced & I've been happy with it. If it's something I'm going to layer onto a base card, I'll print on the 60lb paper. I really like the finish that the Hammermill paper has - it is not really a glossy finish, but it's not the typical 'flat' finish either - it's almost like a very smooth soft silky "satin" finish, IMO. (almost like comparing paints - you have 'flat' and 'glossy' paint - but then you have 'satin' in between those two - the hammermill would be sort of the equivalent of 'satin' paint, IMO)

It prints really nicely & for patterned papers, etc, the 60lb seems to be a great weight. A ream of it costs around $11. The 110lb doesn't seem to come in 8.5x11 sheets any longer - so I bought a ream of the 11x17 sheets. It's worked out great - I can cut it in half for two 8.5x11 sheets - OR, I can get much longer/larger pieces cut out of it as needed.

I've also used heavy matte photo paper for some craft projects - it prints really great! I got the darling House Mouse decoupage CD set & have used both the matte photo paper & the 60lb hammermill for printing out the decoupage pieces (that get cut out & layered up in multiple layers with foam dots for the 3d effects) The 60lb worked fine (and was a bit easier to fussy-cut tiny intricate details) but I really liked the way the matte photo paper worked for those specific projects. The heavy photo paper is a bit more costly, so I tend to use it somewhat sparingly, & use the hammermill or other paper more often.

That's just what *I* have used personally for most items - but I would think you could use whatever cardstock or paper you typically like to use for your projects? But, you're right - average 'printer paper' probably wouldn't be a good choice - it would likely be a bit too lightweight & the colors might not print quite as richly as they would on better paper. (Then again, I tend to buy rather cheap junk, as far as 'normal printer paper' since I don't need high quality paper for my everyday 'non-craft' printouts.)

Just FYI - the printer I bought was an HP Deskjet 3637 - it has a **rear feed** which makes it much better for handling heavier paper, than a front-feed printer might be. I've put that wonderfully heavy 350gsm cardstock from Hunkydory through it with no problem at all - so far, I haven't run into ANY cardstock or heavy paper that it won't take - I fed a piece of cereal-box 'cardboard' through it last week, just as a test - and it went through just fine! It's a slightly "older" model of Deskjet, so I was able to find it at a very good price - it's an all-in-one & has been a super little printer for me so far! Hope this helps!!!

There are several sites out there, particularly in the UK, that focus entirely on printable card kits & 3d projects etc & have an incredible selection of items.... I've been having SO much fun with this stuff! It's opened up one more entire new avenue of papercraft for me! I envy those of you in the UK - you have SO much great stuff - your papercraft magazines are to die for - great mags & omg, the incredible free gifts they include with each issue? Swoon!! I order back-issues now & then - even w/ the extra postage, it's well worth it - I love those magazines! HunkyDory is so fabulous - I love their card kits, you have so many other things, heavier cardstock than we usually get here... so many great things - if I could, I'd move over there, just because of the papercraft you have! LOL!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2020, 06:49 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViciousKingView Post
I have a printer at home. And it's much more comfortable to have one than don't. Because even with all the stuff you buy for the printer, it still is cheaper than using someone else's printer. And I bought 3D printer from this impression-3d.com site not so long ago too. But this is another topic. I just can say that this thing is incredibly awesome. The best thing I've ever bought. And I own it. Now I can make anything I want from metal and other hard materials. Now I don't need to buy furniture elements if I need to add something to my furniture - I just print it. Being an owner of mechanisms like those I mentioned is awesome.
Can you send me some photos of things you've done with that printer of yours?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I imagine a UPS or a similar business would get their paper and ink in bulk at prices much lower than you could. If they are convenient to where you live or work and the quality is good, you might as well use them. As a side-effect you would be contributing in a small way to local employment.
For me, the cost of driving to a print shop would outweigh any savings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 12:54 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is anyone using a wide format printer? I make mini albums and would like to print 12 x 12” scrapbooking paper. I would prefer a a tank printer for economy. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 07:35 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

I also use HP's ink plan and those cartridges last a long time. Even that monthly fee doesn't come near what I used to spend on ink cartridges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Heart UK Magazines and HunkyDory in the US

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravynView Post
Based on a recommendation I read somewhere here a while back, I've been buying Hammermill Digital Color Copy cardstock - both in the 110 lb weight for heavier use, and then the 60lb weight for ordinary things. It's reasonably priced & I've been happy with it. If it's something I'm going to layer onto a base card, I'll print on the 60lb paper. I really like the finish that the Hammermill paper has - it is not really a glossy finish, but it's not the typical 'flat' finish either - it's almost like a very smooth soft silky "satin" finish, IMO. (almost like comparing paints - you have 'flat' and 'glossy' paint - but then you have 'satin' in between those two - the hammermill would be sort of the equivalent of 'satin' paint, IMO)

It prints really nicely & for patterned papers, etc, the 60lb seems to be a great weight. A ream of it costs around $11. The 110lb doesn't seem to come in 8.5x11 sheets any longer - so I bought a ream of the 11x17 sheets. It's worked out great - I can cut it in half for two 8.5x11 sheets - OR, I can get much longer/larger pieces cut out of it as needed.

I've also used heavy matte photo paper for some craft projects - it prints really great! I got the darling House Mouse decoupage CD set & have used both the matte photo paper & the 60lb hammermill for printing out the decoupage pieces (that get cut out & layered up in multiple layers with foam dots for the 3d effects) The 60lb worked fine (and was a bit easier to fussy-cut tiny intricate details) but I really liked the way the matte photo paper worked for those specific projects. The heavy photo paper is a bit more costly, so I tend to use it somewhat sparingly, & use the hammermill or other paper more often.

That's just what *I* have used personally for most items - but I would think you could use whatever cardstock or paper you typically like to use for your projects? But, you're right - average 'printer paper' probably wouldn't be a good choice - it would likely be a bit too lightweight & the colors might not print quite as richly as they would on better paper. (Then again, I tend to buy rather cheap junk, as far as 'normal printer paper' since I don't need high quality paper for my everyday 'non-craft' printouts.)

Just FYI - the printer I bought was an HP Deskjet 3637 - it has a **rear feed** which makes it much better for handling heavier paper, than a front-feed printer might be. I've put that wonderfully heavy 350gsm cardstock from Hunkydory through it with no problem at all - so far, I haven't run into ANY cardstock or heavy paper that it won't take - I fed a piece of cereal-box 'cardboard' through it last week, just as a test - and it went through just fine! It's a slightly "older" model of Deskjet, so I was able to find it at a very good price - it's an all-in-one & has been a super little printer for me so far! Hope this helps!!!

There are several sites out there, particularly in the UK, that focus entirely on printable card kits & 3d projects etc & have an incredible selection of items.... I've been having SO much fun with this stuff! It's opened up one more entire new avenue of papercraft for me! I envy those of you in the UK - you have SO much great stuff - your papercraft magazines are to die for - great mags & omg, the incredible free gifts they include with each issue? Swoon!! I order back-issues now & then - even w/ the extra postage, it's well worth it - I love those magazines! HunkyDory is so fabulous - I love their card kits, you have so many other things, heavier cardstock than we usually get here... so many great things - if I could, I'd move over there, just because of the papercraft you have! LOL!)
Paper wishes carries these magazines and lots of HunkyDory. They have sales every day of the week —- like $2 Tuesday, 50% off Friday and sales in between. Today (Wednesday) was HunkyDory Crates set on sale. I think their site is Paper wishes.com. They are in Canby, OR. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2020, 10:47 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I print a lot of digitals. This is my big love. I adore HP's Instant Ink program. It has saved me so much money since I started using it.

I use to print at stores and library. I much prefer printing at home.

Epson also has the eco-printer. It is pricey upfront but lasts a long time.

There is the CIS system for several different printers (Continuous Ink System) Lots of excellent YouTube videos.

I looked and researched into all three of these for economical bulk printing. HP Ink was the best fit for me. All three have a lot of great strengths and not a lot of cons. It's just finding the one that fits your needs.

If you want to print economically at a print store certain city/state branches have new library print programs where you can send your documents to the library for printing from your home. When your ready to go to the library your documents will be ready to print at your convenience. Your library will have more info and pricing on their particular program. I know mine is 25cents a sheet. Some libraries allow you to bring in your choice paper.

I use a variety of different papers to print on so I didn't want to put my branch through that, lol. I would have drove them bonkers.

HTH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2020, 10:12 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a Costco convenient to you, try their service for refilling your ink cartridges. Such a huge savings!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2020, 01:18 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

I print a lot (make wedding invitations). I have a cheap HP printer I got for $40 bucks 8 years ago and buy off brand cartridges, works just fine. Last year I won a pretty nice printer in a work raffle and I use that one too, a full set of cartridges is like $15.

Last edited by cowolter; 06-21-2020 at 01:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ImageClass Laser Printer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rorysnonna

I use a canon G-2000 inkjet printer that has refillable ink tanks. I also have a canon Imageclass laser printer. I buy all my ink and toner that is not canon brand from amazon. Saves a lot of money. I do so much custom favor work that I need the ability to print from home and on the spot.

I have the same ImageClass laser printer. I purchased off market toner also and at first they worked fine but after a while, they started splattering red and blue toner on my paper and I can't use them for most things now. I don't know how to check how much toner is left but I am pretty sure there is a good amount. It kills me to have to buy the real cartridges and spend all of that money but I don't see any option. Really bummed! Glad your's worked out for you!
Reply With Quote Likes