Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:40 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having trouble with the BS

What am I doing wrong?
I have my new SU! Big Shot, I've read all the manuels and watched the youtube instruction video... and as far as I can see i am doing everything right.... except...
Everytime I run a die through the big shot my cutting pads are getting cut with the impression of whatever die I am running through them. Is this normal?
Please help! thanks!
Krissie
this space for rent
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 03:43 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yep, it's normal for your cutting plates to get marked up with the shapes you're cutting. Just keep using th same pad on the bottom, so you are only marking one at a time. Also, I puchased a set of cutting pads just for embossing....so they stay nice and smooth. HTH!

Inky Blessings, Sherri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 04:34 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

krissie20........YES! It's perfectly normal for this to happen. (I don't know why the instructions don't say that so everyone isn't so alarmed.)

Each time you put your cutting pads through the machine rotate them a different way (every which way, both front and back, top and bottom). Also put your die in a different place on the cutting pad each time so that the pads get all areas etched up before replacing them.

You can use them till you see the etchings start to make marks on your paper that you don't want. They should last for a few hundred die cuts. I use my BIGkick every day several times and usually replace my cutting pads about every 2 months or so. You can purchase them in AC Moore or Michaels using a coupon if you like also. I try to keep a few sets of them in stock so I don't run out.

Your cutting pads will also get a bit bowed with use. This is also normal. That is another reason to flip them over so that they can flatten out some. This bowing will not effect the quality of your die cutting.

For embossing, the etched cutting pads will not effect that so you can use your cutting pads for both die cutting and embossing. (Your paper doesn't touch the cutting pads when embossing, so no harm by etched pads.)

By the way......any information you see written on the BIGkick also applies to the Big Shot too. Some of the information on the Cuttlebug will also apply, but there are a few exceptions.

Obviously, these are my opinions from using my machine for the past 2 years. Other people may differ.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
krissie20........YES! It's perfectly normal for this to happen. (I don't know why the instructions don't say that so everyone isn't so alarmed.)

You can use them till you see the etchings start to make marks on your paper that you don't want. .............

Patti
OR, you can use them until they break into three or four pieces before you replace them. I have a Cuttlebug. I have never seen any etching marks appear on the paper.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
OR, you can use them until they break into three or four pieces before you replace them. I have a Cuttlebug. I have never seen any etching marks appear on the paper.
I haven't seen etching marks on the side of the paper that's toward the die, but mine does get etch marks on the side toward the cutting pad. As long as I can't see marks once the piece is glued down, I don't worry about it. And I only get the marks with the cutting dies, not the embossing folders - the folder protects the piece from the etching on the cutting plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I wish that the "instructions" had indicated that it was normal to see the etchings on the pads. When I first used my BS (before I read here that you would get the etchings) I just knew for sure that I had ruined my new toy! I was ready to cry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

GarnetJ........I've never broken or cracked any of my cutting pads. I believe breaking may occur from too much being put through the machine. If you have to struggle to turn the handle on any of the non-electric die cutting/embossing machines, then you are trying to put too much through it at one time.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

It's normal. I don't like that it does. But it makes sense that it has to cut through the paper or whatever you want to have cut. I know that now, so I put a piece of flat cardboard on the bottom so that it doesn't etch my cutting board that badly, if at all. Just thought I give an alternative. I don't know if it hurts my machine or die but I don't see how it would expect maybe dull the die a bit faster but then the cutting board would do the same, right? Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 05:20 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

The cutting plates are quite durable. I've had the same ones for over a year and a half and they're still going strong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

My pads look like a war zone and they are still work just fine. No etching when embossing and everytime I use them I flip them so the bend in the opposite direction. I'll use mine until they break.
Reply With Quote Likes