Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2017, 07:57 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Smile Have you seen Tim Holtz's Stamp Positioner?

To be released in April...

2017 sneak peek ? tonic studios? | Tim Holtz
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I watched the demo video and it looks to be sturdy and well made. I liked the feature that you can reverse the cover for clear or cling mount rubber stamps.

He said the retail price will be about $39, which is less than the Misti, but more than the other similar tools that are available from Hampton Arts, and We R Memory Keepers.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, and like it. Talking about it here too, if you want to read more buzz, Bohodiva: New Tim Holtz sneak peek by Sleepymom33 at Splitcoaststampers
Stampin' Fool

I purchased the Hampton Art stamp positioner last month and I'm very pleased with it so I doubt I'll jump on Tim's version and I still use my acrylic blocks.
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

At least Tonic have added something new with the reversible top, its not a direct copy of the Misti.
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Tim Holtz version. I have the original MISTI and also the mini MISTI and Tim's seems quite a bit sturdier and easier to clean. I definitely want one!
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it a lot because I use rubber more than clear.
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the new Tim Holtz releases are available for pre-order at Marco's Paper for 20% off and free shipping in the Continental US. I bought the stamp positioner for $31.99.

https://www.marcopaper.com/categorie...eleaseshttp://

** I am not affiliated with Marco's Paper

Last edited by Cinnistew; 01-20-2017 at 11:07 AM..
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

I don't have one yet, hard to believe, as I am a tools junkie. This is definitely the one for me as I need one that works for both cards and 12x12 paper at a reasonable price.
Mary Beth
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The Funkie Junkie Boutique has the Tonic / Tim Holtz Stamp Positioner preorder for 25% off. I've preordered items from them many times and always been pleased.
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Genius. The guy is a genius. I already have a MISTI and preordered one anyway.

A little sad, though. Ileana came up with the concept for this tool. We went from the Stamp A Ma Jig to the Misti in one gigantic leap, and it was amazing. I hope she continues to sell her product amd make money, she deserves a LOT of credit.

But other versions were inevitable. When I read about Tim's I had to check it out. And then I had to have it. It just looks fantastic.
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

It is always easy to copy once someone comes up with an original idea. I do not have a misti after watching no less than 10 videos comparing it to WRMK Precission Press, which I now have. The deciding factor was it is not limited to size of paper and did the exact same thing.

Not at all impressed with what I saw in video......weight of product, having to change top depending on type of stamp used to name two. We all like what we like.... after using it, just like fav inks, paper Etc.

However I think it comes to a point when there is only so much you can do to change an original idea. Look at how many diy's on line of people's home made versions. However it took 1 person to come up with the whole idea. Just my humble two cents.
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

In the interest of full disclosure, I do already own the original and mini MISTI, but I tried to look at the tonic with an open mind.

Pros
  • It is has a better price point.
  • I like the concept of a handle to open the top.
  • It allows for larger paper to hang out.
  • Clean up might be easier in the case of really messy mediums.
Cons:
  • It's ugly (I hate the gray color).
  • It is hard to tell from the video alone but I'm not sure I would like the way the grid is molded into the top. It looks like it could be somewhat opaque (at least not perfectly clear) to see through. That would bug me.
  • It is larger so it takes up more desk/table space.
  • I don't like having to remove/turn the top over and snap it back in place to use it with red rubber/cling stamps.
For me, the pros don't outweigh the cons. I like having the foam for stamping with clear stamps (which might be another con for the tonic). To me, it seems easier to take the foam out to use the MISTI with red rubber/cling than having to remove the lid and snap it back in place. I almost never use larger paper than what fits in my MISTIs. I can make a little handle by taping some washi tape on the inside and outside of my MISTI lid to make it easier to open. Until seeing the video, I never thought about needing a handle.

For someone who does a lot of larger layouts or mixed media projects, maybe the cons wouldn't carry as much weight as they do for me.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I want to see it in person.
Gallery Gazer

I like the gray; color is in the eye of the beholder? : ) And I like the beefiness, and ability to remove the top for cleaning, and how the grid is protected inside. Maybe it won't squeak. (If you oil plastic hinges, make sure it's an oil noted to be safe for plastic.)

I also like that it appears that you aren't putting stress on the hinges when it's open. That's part of the beef. I generally put a foam pad to the right for the lid to rest on, but sometimes forget or am too lazy. The price point is excellent.

Still a little on the fence, and want a local LSS owner to give me her take, since she's at CHA.
Glitter Guru

I think that's the bottom line, Lazorkay, we can talk about it all we want, but until April we won't know.

Tonic is clever to start the buzz now, so that some of us (like me) can immediately worry that once it's released it will sell out. And pre-order. And the rest of you who are not susceptible to this ploy can wait to see what we think of it.

And whether there is an upgrade/fix/improvement of some kind to it up the road. ;)!
Gallery Gazer

Yes, that's something CHA does well - start the buzz for companies, and it's certainly successful! Since Ranger stands behind its products, I'm less nervous ordering from them than from some other companies, or an unknown company.

Speaking of buzz, I'm definitely going to get three or four oxidation inks - three that should work together well and one because what is life without worn lipstick, but that's a low price point.
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two sizes of MISTI and I definitely don't want anything that huge since I'm not a scrapbooker. It would take up way too much of my desk space. I would have to compare side by side but I don't see any reason for another stamp positioner unless mine conked out. I like the sponge thing on my MISTI and would miss that. I hope it doesn't run MISTI out of business because I support women in crafting and also small business people over large companies whenever possible. Tim's got enough of my money with the Distress thing.
Gallery Gazer

Such a good point about supporting local, small businesses, and especially women owned. (The reason I won't buy dies directly from China.) Thank you.

To complicate it, LSS's are owned by small business owners, often women, and they sell Tim Holtz products, so we are supporting them when we buy. I was almost ready to preorder, and then realized an LSS might carry the stamp platform, so want to wait for her - to get her impression (no pun intended), and to see if she'll carry it. While her price might be higher, her discounts are so amazing, in the long run it won't be.
Crimping Master

Thank you for saying this. I do buy all American dies, stamps, and ink except for Distress. I also don't mind buying a few things from countries that have fair labor laws-like France and Germany for cooking tools. If I can buy from a company owned by women or families I try to do that. There is no way around some of these tools in terms of where they are made but it's good as you say to buy them through a small online shop or LSS when possible. I admit that I got my last Big Shot from Amazon, however. No LSS in our town but I could have bought it from SSS I guess. One less Starbucks wouldn't kill me budget wise.
Gallery Gazer

OT : ) Some small business owners sell on Amazon too. But I buy too much from Amazon - not items I can buy locally or from a small on-line store, unless there's a rush, which is generally my fault.

I just bought a bunch of Versafine mini inks from a company in the UK - Buddly Crafts - which ended up cheaper than JoAnn's, even including shipping, which was only $5.01. I assumed they were a small business, and no one I generally shop from had colors I wanted.
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is Distress made?
Glitter Guru

Adirondack, which is the company that makes Distress Ink, is in TinTin Falls, New Jersey. I'm pretty sure they make most of the products there as well, since Dyan Reaveley is always making YouTube Videos from her office there and talking about the assembly line!
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

Ranger Ink products are made in house, at their location in Tinton Falls, NJ. (Robin, maybe you're thinking of their Adirondack line of inks... I'm still sad they discontinued those!)

http://rangerink.com/about-ranger/

"Ranger is very proud that all our inks, embossing powders, paints, mediums, dimensional glitters, glues and stamp cleaners are manufactured right here in the USA. These products are made in our facility located in Tinton Falls, New Jersey."
Vincent Van Gogh

Crimping Master

Great that Distress is made here. I should have checked the back of my inks. I have an Adirondack ink color called Butterscotch. It is such a unique color. Their refill bottles were huge so it may just last me.
Glitter Guru

Oh duh, Dina! of course you are right. I meant to say Ranger and said Adirondack!

Yes, I was sad to see some of those Adirondack inks go myself.
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Great that Distress is made here. I should have checked the back of my inks. I have an Adirondack ink color called Butterscotch. It is such a unique color. Their refill bottles were huge so it may just last me.
You can still find Butterscotch Adirondack ink pads if you google it. : ) They also have butterscotch in alcohol ink, so subtract that from the search with -alcohol. There's even butterscotch embossing powder. (Now I want butterscotch. As in candy or something.)
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have all three sizes of the misti, and I LOVE my MISTIs.....but I also ordered the TH one too. I often use several mistis at a time when doing a project so having another one will be nice. I can't get into who made what first, as I said, I love my MISTis....and I have bought two, won in a contest one. So I have been loyal to MISTI. But I also think I'd like to try the TH one too.
Stampin' Fool

How many MISTis does it take to stamp a card? :p
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Bohodiva, you made me laugh. As a mental health professional, we have an old joke. "How many therapists does it take to change a lightbulb?""One, but only if the lightbulb wants to change."
I acknowledge that when considering my supplies, NEED has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by loyce; 01-27-2017 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: poor punctuation skills
Gallery Gazer

I'm on the list for one at an LSS. I talked to the owner yesterday, who said she's "absolutely!" going to carry it. Before she saw it in person at CHA she may have been a little iffy.

She's so good to her customers - with a terrific discount with every purchase, another one if you bring your own bag (and she gives you a branded cloth shopping bag on your first visit) and even a generous gift certificate for us at the end of 2016. So whatever she charges, it's okay.
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

This is kind of hijacking but did you see the video from creativation/cha with the new corner products for MISTI and the prototype of the MISTI bag (being demo'd by Lydia/Understandblue)?

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Gallery Gazer

Yup, and there's a thread about it in the MSP section. Here's a link: CHA ... by MrsAngotti at Splitcoaststampers

I'm getting the corner bumpers.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-27-2017 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Typo! MSP, not MWP
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I just bought the WRMK Precision Press Tool for $19.95 from HSN. It doesn't have the magnetic bottom, but so far has worked okay. I did see a You Tube video someone posted saying they had to send theirs back for some reason, and the new one had somewhat of a sticky pad on it. Mine isn't sticky, so I'm not sure if it should have it. I didn't have to use washi tape but it worked okay anyway. Two sides are 'open' so you can use any size paper, and it has hinges so you can use rubber stamps or the cling stamps.. I am very pleased with it as well as the great price.....
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
How many MISTis does it take to stamp a card? :p
One but you have to hum the song "Misty" while you are using it!
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Actually, it would be nice to have more than one if you are two step or three step stamping. When doing several of the same card, I know you can stamp five, then remove the stamp and out the next step on and do five and so on, but wouldn't it be so fun to doe each layer and be done?  I vote for at least two! LOL
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post
I just bought the WRMK Precision Press Tool for $19.95 from HSN. It doesn't have the magnetic bottom, but so far has worked okay. I did see a You Tube video someone posted saying they had to send theirs back for some reason, and the new one had somewhat of a sticky pad on it. Mine isn't sticky, so I'm not sure if it should have it. I didn't have to use washi tape but it worked okay anyway. Two sides are 'open' so you can use any size paper, and it has hinges so you can use rubber stamps or the cling stamps.. I am very pleased with it as well as the great price.....
Ditto. I just discovered I can use rubber as effectively as clear (I use rubber more often) on my WRMK Precision Press -- without unhinging and turning over the cover like you have to do with Tim Holtz's. I also purchased mine from HSN at that low price and am extremely pleased with it. No sticky problem with mine either.
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Actually, it would be nice to have more than one if you are two step or three step stamping. When doing several of the same card, I know you can stamp five, then remove the stamp and out the next step on and do five and so on, but wouldn't it be so fun to doe each layer and be done?  I vote for at least two! LOL
I think it would be kind of cool to sell the tops to Tim's platform, so you could set up your stamps and just swap tops in and out : )

Last edited by bjeans; 01-28-2017 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Meant to type "tops"
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Have you seen Tim Holtz stamp positioner

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
Ditto. I just discovered I can use rubber as effectively as clear (I use rubber more often) on my WRMK Precision Press -- without unhinging and turning over the cover like you have to do with Tim Holtz's. I also purchased mine from HSN at that low price and am extremely pleased with it. No sticky problem with mine either.
I agree with all of the above. I got mine after watching no less than 10 videos comparing it to Misti......does same thing, no magnets and not constrained by paper size. Did you hear him say it weighs about 2 lbs! I think that alone would be enough for a no compared to less than half a pound for WRMK press, and I can't be bothered turning plates over. It is only an inch or so bigger than the mini misti, so nice size, wright and portable for travel.
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
I agree with all of the above. I got mine after watching no less than 10 videos comparing it to Misti......does same thing, no magnets and not constrained by paper size. Did you hear him say it weighs about 2 lbs! I think that alone would be enough for a no compared to less than half a pound for WRMK press, and I can't be bothered turning plates over. It is only an inch or so bigger than the mini misti, so nice size, wright and portable for travel.
The weight and sturdiness is one of the things I like about it - not for traveling, but when at my table. It's so nice there are different options for different crafty tastes. : )