Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #81  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the link. Just placed an order for 8 dies/sets for $11.00. Can't beat that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Here is a link to an ebay page with cute dies and wow prices. I have made several purchases from China vendors - non craft related - and never been disappointed yet. The transaction is through paypal so no problem with the payment method. The parcels come as e-packets from China and generally takes about 3 weeks. So, if you are not in a hurry those dies look like a good deal. For less than $5 a set, why not? I'm not sure if are the same dies you were looking at - but they are cute and cheap.

Treat stress like a dog - If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it & walk away.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #82  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love the dies from China. One of the things for me is that I don't like to pay a high price for wanting to learn something. I have 2 lovely die cutters- Cameo & Cricut Explore. Buying dies for me feels like a waste of money for what I am going to use them for since I have my electronic cutters.

I have been really wanting to try thin dies for awhile now. I have been admiring so many of the cute techniques that I have been seeing lately that don't come out quite the same when using e-cutters. The China sellers gave me a good reason to try dies. I can try a cheap die and see if I like it. If I don't like it then no money was really lost. Paying $20-$40 to try a technique is a lot harder for me to accept than paying $1-$3.

I can say I really love thin dies now. That is my new obsession. Chinese sellers gave me a reason to start looking at other die companies and willing to spend money on sets that I do want from those companies. Even then I still look for deals. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #83  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Just a quick note on the Precision Plate - the PP should not be used with the BS Plus. Sizzix says that it will ruin the BS Plus because the tension is different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #84  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInPinkView Post
I've been looking on eBay for all kinds of stamps and anything related and I ran across these really cheap dies.. they are all from China.. but some of them are really cute. And I don't have very many dies.. I'm a bit tempted to try one.

What do you think?
Yes, I have purchased quite a few dies from Ebay at a fraction of the cost of what being sold in the stores. I have tried them all and they cut as they should. I live in the US and it takes about 3 weeks for delivery. In addition, I purchase dies from Scrapbook Outlet. I have a few in my shopping cart now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #85  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! I didn't realize that these were available so cheap! It certainly puts a brand new spin on buying dies. I am going to have to re-activate my Ebsy account.

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #86  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have just done a blog post review of the cheap dies from China.It's HERE if anyone is interested in how well they cut. I'll warn you, it's a long post & picture heavy,as I wanted to show plenty of pictures of the die cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2017, 01:04 AM   #87  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Shaz- I loved the post. I love your new header. You look so pretty. Your hubby is so handsome.

I have to get the heart dies now. You enabled me. It was a great post.

I admired you for doing the long post on your blog. I just wrote a long post at another board. I loved writing it and helping my girls. OMG! I thought Poor Girls this is so long. I wanted to be detailed because it was a lot to cover. I have started a blog but I haven't put anything on it yet. I like the idea of detailed posts on a blog. You inspired me.

Am I the only one noticing that Cuttlebug is not cutting detailed dies thoroughly? My CB is old so that could have some reasoning behind it. I got a Sizzix Vintaj this Spring. I am using the CB plates in my Vintaj. My detailed dies are cutting like butter. I mainly have Ebay dies now in my collection.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2017, 01:25 AM   #88  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

DeeAnn, thank you for your lovely thoughts on the post. Happy you liked the header- I think he's pretty special too!
I agree about the 'Bug and detailed dies. That snowflake background I had problems with showed me very clearly that all the pressure on my plates is around the edges, with very little in the centre. I did forget to mention- and I must go back and edit it- that even with the shim on that one, I still had to turn it three times to get it to cut cleanly. I'd forgotten that until writing this reply! I think the die has so much surface area, that the pressure doesn't distribute as much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2017, 06:19 AM   #89  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Shaz- I loved the post. I love your new header. You look so pretty. Your hubby is so handsome.

I have to get the heart dies now. You enabled me. It was a great post.

I admired you for doing the long post on your blog. I just wrote a long post at another board. I loved writing it and helping my girls. OMG! I thought Poor Girls this is so long. I wanted to be detailed because it was a lot to cover. I have started a blog but I haven't put anything on it yet. I like the idea of detailed posts on a blog. You inspired me.

Am I the only one noticing that Cuttlebug is not cutting detailed dies thoroughly? My CB is old so that could have some reasoning behind it. I got a Sizzix Vintaj this Spring. I am using the CB plates in my Vintaj. My detailed dies are cutting like butter. I mainly have Ebay dies now in my collection.
My Cuttlebug cuts everthing well, including detailed dies. It's only a couple of years old. Sometimes I use this metal plate for detailed dies: https://www.amazon.com/Cheery-Lynn-D...Plate%2C+Large

At a class an instructor wasn't having luck cutting with a Big Shot so switched to the Cuttlebug. I think many factors play a part, including age, correct sandwich, where pressure is, etc. And every machine is a little different.

BTW, a Cheery Lynn video reminds people that if a die isn't cutting a specific area, to place a shim - like a piece of cardstock - only where the die is not cutting, not over the entire die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2017, 06:25 AM   #90  
Gallery Gazer

Oh, and it's a good idea to move dies around to different parts of the plate, if they're small enough to do so. If a plate is concave where a die is placed, it's hard to get good pressure there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #91  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Shaz, I also loved your detailed post and all the pictures. I read every word. Thank you for taking so much time to help us all get an idea of how well those dies work.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2017, 01:28 AM   #92  
Matboard Maniac

I have ordered some and waiting for them to arrive. heard good reviews of the seller I bought from so waiting to see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2017, 05:46 AM   #93  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ordered LOTS of them, some for myself and a lot I have given away to friends. They do take a long time to arrive so if it something I need right away I wouldn't order from China. Need to plan ahead. I haven't been unhappy with any of them. They cut well and there is certainly a lot to choose from. I do wish the sizes would been shown in inches as well as metric but you can always look it up on the conversion chart. And finally, the prices are unbelievable!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #94  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a dear friend in California who uses the China dies, and Theresa-Marie's cards are just beautiful. She uses the dies on lots of her card creations, and I must say, they are perfect !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #95  
Matboard Maniac

I've ordered many of the Chinese dies from ********** and Amazon. The only downside is that it takes several weeks to get them. The other downside is embossing. The dies cut like a dream but they don't emboss worth squat. You need the piece to stay in the die in order to get a good emboss and they pop right out. This is great for cutting. I've found I can just tap the die on the side of the trash can and a majority of the pieces come out. This is a far cry from some of the high end dies where special methods are needed to get the cut pieces out of the die. And I can get a wide variety of designs from the Chinese site, which is helpful inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #96  
Crimping Master

I ordered Ali Express Dies Aug 6 received some Aug 20, I thought that was pretty good. Only problem is they trickle in some every day or so. But the price can't be beat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #97  
Matboard Maniac

Another problem with Chinese vendors is their customer service is not like Amazon's. A package was misdelivered and I've never received it. I've had a claim in with the post office but still no package. The vendor isn't willing to do even a partial refund. True it wasn't their fault but it wasn't mine either. So I guess I'll be finding out how good **********'s buyer protection is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2017, 05:59 AM   #98  
Crimping Master

I've listened to many gals videos that have bought from Ali Express and say the vendors are willing to refund if there's a problem. I have not experienced any problems as of yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2017, 06:25 AM   #99  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakarenView Post
Another problem with Chinese vendors is their customer service is not like Amazon's. A package was misdelivered and I've never received it. I've had a claim in with the post office but still no package. The vendor isn't willing to do even a partial refund. True it wasn't their fault but it wasn't mine either. So I guess I'll be finding out how good **********'s buyer protection is.
This is the reason I only by these China dies on EBay. If there is a problem of any kind, I contact the vendor and they have 3 days to respond. If they don't do so, EBay will ask if I want to wait any longer or just get an immediate refund.
I think I've had to put in claims in three instances - in all three the vendors responded within a day and sent out new dies, no questions asked.

I'm glad to learn about your experience with **********, it serves as fair warning. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #100  
Insane Embellisher

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by parknslideView Post
Got my first order of Gina Marie Designs today...they are fabulous. Cut great, resonable price and fast shipping. I just placed a second order.
I am very interested in the Gina Marie products, thanks for the recommendation! I would love to support her business. Knock-offs and pirated goods harm not only the artists and designers, but hurt our economy! Is this the correct website to buy directly from Gina Marie: wholesalecraftingsupplies.com or is it something else?

Regarding dies made in China that violate trade rules, is anyone concerned about lead? I don't mean products made in China under the supervision of a legitimate company, but rather pirated designs being sold very cheaply.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #101  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I order some holiday dies this morning. I was looking for a sugar skull with cut out details and I found one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #102  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the info! I may have to try Ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2017, 07:17 AM   #103  
Stampin' Fool

Has anyone tried the cutting plates? If so, are they equal to Big Shot or Cuttlebug?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2017, 06:30 AM   #104  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 460 Likes on 307 Posts

I have had the same experience - all good so far! My mother has purchased waaaay more dies from China than I, but she's had no problems with any nor have I when I've borrowed them. ;-)
Jeremiah 29:11
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni | Proud FanClub member since 2017
My
Gallery
| My Blog
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #105  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if I'm allowed to ask this but... Anybody know of a die grid like Su -You Move Me die - that makes things look like they're flying? I could never cut out those grids by hand Lol. Maybe Ebay has one? I've looked.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #106  
Insane Embellisher

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
I don't know if I'm allowed to ask this but... Anybody know of a die grid like Su -You Move Me die - that makes things look like they're flying? I could never cut out those grids by hand Lol. Maybe Ebay has one? I've looked.

Hi Martha,
I asked a similar question not too long ago! See the thread I started in the Tool & Product Talk forum on 6/8/17: illusion of motion die. Uchi Designs was supposed to release a die in July, so check their site! HTH?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #107  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzzzeeeView Post
Hi Martha,
I asked a similar question not too long ago! See the thread I started in the Tool & Product Talk forum on 6/8/17: illusion of motion die. Uchi Designs was supposed to release a die in July, so check their site! HTH?
Thank you so much. So far I have seen a vertical grid. I wonder what that looks like?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #108  
Matboard Maniac

Default ********** isn't responsive

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
This is the reason I only by these China dies on EBay. If there is a problem of any kind, I contact the vendor and they have 3 days to respond. If they don't do so, EBay will ask if I want to wait any longer or just get an immediate refund.
I think I've had to put in claims in three instances - in all three the vendors responded within a day and sent out new dies, no questions asked.

I'm glad to learn about your experience with **********, it serves as fair warning. Thanks for the info.
I am nearly at the end of the dispute phase on the order I didn't receive and I can see they are going to do nothing about it. I believe I'll stick with Ebay and maybe try GinaMarie.

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 02:53 AM   #109  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ordered dies from china many, many times and never had a problem. I find the seller to be very conscientious. I never worry when ordering from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 06:16 AM   #110  
Matboard Maniac

I've ordered several times and didn't have problems. This time has been a nightmare and I am probably just out the money. It wasn't a tiny order, either. That might be an idea for the future if I use ********** again. Make very small orders so if I'm out an order I don't lose much money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 06:24 AM   #111  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakarenView Post
I am nearly at the end of the dispute phase on the order I didn't receive and I can see they are going to do nothing about it. I believe I'll stick with Ebay and maybe try GinaMarie.

Makaren
EBay's guarantee policy they have now is excellent and it works to keep vendors trustworthy.
As for Gina Marie Designs- LOVE her stuff and order from her often. She gets new dies in all the time, and some for only a short time. I just purchased a fun cut in/cut out Daisy bouquet die set that is so dang fun (I'll try to post the 2 cards I made with it soon). And I also picked up a limited edition stitched rectangle set that has double stitch lines inside and also outside the lines....set was $10 or $12 and it is like the $28 ones by Memory Box, etc. Gina Marie also has her own rhinestones and pearls now and they are very nice - all one size and each one has adhesive, so no cutting apart to use. And the colors are wonderful. I could go on and on! She has great product and she gets it right out in the mail so you can enjoy it. It's a new month now, so she probably has new product or is showing what will be in the store soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #112  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

I am very interested in the Gina Marie products, thanks for the recommendation! I would love to support her business. Knock-offs and pirated goods harm not only the artists and designers, but hurt our economy! Is this the correct website to buy directly from Gina Marie: wholesalecraftingsupplies.com or is it something else?

Regarding dies made in China that violate trade rules, is anyone concerned about lead? I don't mean products made in China under the supervision of a legitimate company, but rather pirated designs being sold very cheaply.
Lead is a very soft metal and wouldn't be used in making a die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #113  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I am very interested in the Gina Marie products, thanks for the recommendation! Is this the correct website to buy directly from Gina Marie: wholesalecraftingsupplies.com or is it something else?
Yes, that is the correct website. Purchased from her several times. Quality products and she has wonderful customer service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #114  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Still wondering how the very large and popular American company which sells stamps and dies and other goodies can justify its prices when their stuff is made in China and we can see very similar stuff on ********** for heaps less. No wonder people are buying loads of dies from China.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #115  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by pamela16View Post
Still wondering how the very large and popular American company which sells stamps and dies and other goodies can justify its prices when their stuff is made in China and we can see very similar stuff on ********** for heaps less. No wonder people are buying loads of dies from China.
Part of it is volume. A small U.S. business isn�t selling a large quantity. On the other hand, a Chinese company that steals designs from many companies and makes other simple designs can make a very small amount per item, but sells many more - so it�s volume.

Chinese companies also can afford to charge very little because a high percentage of the factory labor force is paid pennies, similar to slave labor. Workers live in crowded dorms and work hours we�d consider intolerable. (Many articles can be found by googling.)

If U.S. companies are contracting with Chinese companies that treat their workers more decently, that would drive prices up considerably. There are other factors, this is simplified, just a few.

Last edited by bjeans; 06-03-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #116  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Part of it is volume. A small U.S. business isn�t selling a large quantity. On the other hand, a Chinese company that steals designs from many companies and makes other simple designs can make a very small amount per item, but sells many more - so it�s volume.

Chinese companies also can afford to charge very little because a high percentage of the factory labor force is paid pennies, similar to slave labor. Workers live in crowded dorms and work hours we�d consider intolerable. (Many articles can be found by googling.)

If U.S. companies are contracting with Chinese companies that treat their workers more decently, that would drive prices up considerably. There are other factors, this is simplified, just a few.

Do you know of any U.S. companies who have such a contract with their suppliers in China? I would be interested in buying from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 667 Likes on 346 Posts

This is why I won't buy cheap from China. JMHO. :-) LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #118  
Gallery Gazer

SU is suing Alibaba. From ScrapbookUpdate.com:

“Direct sales company Stampin’ Up! is suing Chinese ecommerce site Alibaba over alleged rampant copyright infringement on its site. Many U.S-based stamp companies have long been frustrated that U.S. consumers searching for lower prices are all too often buying lower-priced counterfeits from Alibaba sellers. This issue frequently sparks controversy on stamping boards on places like Facebook, where Alibaba is invariably brought up as an answer in response to those seeking low-priced shopping options.

In an attempt to curtail the flood counterfeits of their designs on Alibaba, Stampin’ Up! filed suit in Utah Federal District Court in April against Alibaba Hong Kong and several individual sellers on the platform. The suit alleged, among other things, that Alibaba willfully turned a blind eye to rampant copyright violations taking place on its platform and did not do enough to track down and remove offending products. The suit was withdrawn by Stampin’ Up! at the end of May for unknown reasons.”

Story continued in the link below. I’m glad - maybe it would also help some of the smaller companies who don’t have deep pockets to go after violators, though I don’t have high hopes. Ironically, SU has been sued for TM violations themselves - like way back when for their scoring board. But the small company that sued them didn’t have enough $$ to continue.

Update | Etsy, Creativeworld, Stampin' Up!, Michaels, & More! - Scrapbook Update
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #119  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed a month or so ago - MFT and Lawn Fawn were sparse on ********** compared to what they were months ago. It made me wonder if those two companies went after the counterfeiters and won. However I was horrified to see SU on AE!!! Yesterday I tried buying two generic sets of circle dies from AE - and both sellers canceled my orders saying they no longer sell to the US. I've bought from both sellers before, I'm assuming it's the China-US trade ordeal. Still thought it was interesting. Or maybe it's not worth selling to the US if we are aggressively going after counterfeiters now. Who knows!

Last edited by Catherine773; 06-16-2018 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes