Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-23-2021, 12:27 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Guilding paste

What gilding paste (brand or type) would you say is best for papercrafting?

I've seen a gilding paste wax. I was watching a video where someone mentioned softening up the hardened wax with paint thinner. I've also seen the Creative Expressions waterbased gilding paste with NO wax.

I can guess that the wax would be best for metal, wood, etc. But what about paper?
I'm leaning toward the wax version, but would like to hear from others who have used these pastes which they'd recommend.

Last edited by melissa59; 01-23-2021 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Correct spelling: gilding
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I like that the Cosmic Shimmer products are water-based. The visual effect is more a shimmery paint color finish. Finnabair Metallique Wax seems closer to my definition of metallic gilding. The company is shifting from small cans to tubes; so you may see both forms for sale. Here's a video: I've had some of the cans for a number of years, and they haven't dried up, but I haven't used them very often, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2021, 04:44 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I purchased Cosmic Shimmer Guilding Polish in 'Gold Treasure' originally to use in some resin projects, but found it works great on paper and is a nice, deep gold color. It goes on easily and dries quickly--if anything, opening the bottle was the hardest part! (It's a bit tricky as it has a built in applicator). Here is the link to scrapbook.com where I got it. It's out of stock now, but they usually get things quickly. I did a lot of research before settling on this one. Their website and YouTube page was pretty helpful. Hope this helps!

https://www.scrapbook.com/store/ce-c...gilding+polish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I spent most of last night watching gilding paste/wax videos. I want to use the gilding on use on metal and other surfaces AND on card fronts and inside journal pages. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear than any one type of gilding paste/wax is good for both uses.

According to Graphics Fairy of https://thegraphicsfairy.com/what-is-gilding-wax/:
"You can use products like Pebeo Gedeo Gilding Paper Craft Wax on paper. It has acrylic resin, so it should cure like acrylic paints. I would still place a piece of wax paper between the sheets until I am sure it is fully dried. Just make sure it is not an oil based product."

The oil-based waxes are the ones that blend and smooth beautifully. You put it on, let it dry, then buff it out to a nice shine. It's permanent. Water-based pastes appear to need a very light touch, otherwise it goes on like shiny paint but it is not permanent on metal jewelry findings.
Water-based vs wax-based comparison:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2021, 12:17 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I have what is maybe the “original” gilding wax - Rub n Buff which is made by Amaco. I think it was originally marketed to the sort of folk who do ornate picture frames etc. I’ve used it in paper projects and on surfaces like metal (to change the colour of charms), hot glue shapes, polymer clay, and surfaces painted with acrylic. I’ve had gold and silver ones for well over a decade - my gold one has finally gone hard and I keep meaning to get some genuine turpentine to see if I can revive it but haven’t got round to that yet.

I have a couple of the Creative Expressions ones as well, I’ve never been impressed by the depth of colour or lustre in those if I’m honest.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 04:42 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Great question. Subbing.
I have seen the cosmic on 3d embossed paper and it rocked. Actually convinced me to get a particular folder. That was a full cover application. I also like that you can mix colors.

I have not seen wax in person but I really liked that video-thanks! Wax really does go a looong way and maybe has a smoother finish? The only reason I would back away from wax is the drying in the pot part. I dont use things enough so I am vulnerable to that. Plus I would only be using it on paper.

Last edited by wavejumper; 01-27-2021 at 04:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2021, 01:21 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I think I'm going to pick up one with a wax-base in an antique gold shade and give it a try. If I find it makes journal pages stick or it leaks a greasy substance onto other pages, then I might invest in a water-based gilding paste just for paper.
Reply With Quote Likes