Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-09-2016, 05:31 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gina Marie dies

I recently got my order of Gina Marie dies. The price point for these dies are amazing and there are some really beautiful designs. She also ships internationally which is great. However, I've been having some issues cutting with the dies I received.

I use a Cuttlebug and have no issues with dies from MFT, Lawn Fawn, etc. However, for some reason, my Cuttlebug doesn't like the Gina Marie dies. I have heard so many good things about them, but they won't cut all the way through for me! And, it's only some of the dies. The loopy frame die and the stitched circle dies cut perfectly. However, the cross stitched square dies are not cooperating and don't cut all the way through. You can also see the difference between the cross stitched marks on opposite ends of the square (one end is cut deeper than the other). This evening, I tried out the quilted dies and had to laugh because *nothing* cut, even after 6 passes through my Cuttlebug. I tried shimming with a couple pieces of cardstock and at first it was too tight to roll through, and then when I finally managed to bully it into going through, it still didn't cut..

I am a die cutting newbie, so I will chalk all this up to user error. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it please? Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you have the metal plate and use it? I was advised by my local stamp store to use one for the Memory Box, Impression Obsession etc. Any of the really thin dies. Given that you used paper shims and the die still didn't cut I would have to think there is something wrong with the die.........not you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
Do you have the metal plate and use it? I was advised by my local stamp store to use one for the Memory Box, Impression Obsession etc. Any of the really thin dies. Given that you used paper shims and the die still didn't cut I would have to think there is something wrong with the die.........not you.
i don't have the metal plate, i'll have to look into getting that because some of the dies i bought from her are quite intricate (and lovely). i'm hesitant to think there's anything wrong with the dies because everyone has such good things to say about them. as with most of my crafting misadventures, the problem is usually me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I've got a few sets of Gina Marie dies that I use with my Cuttlebug and I've had no issues. I have heard that these cutting machines we use are all unique, though -- as in some of them apply more pressure than others, etc. A shim is usually the trick that works, though. I have some Time Holtz word dies that don't like to cut all the way thru, so I just use a cardstock shim. I'm too cheap to buy the metal plate... lol!

Arg... I just noticed you already tried the shim. That's what I get for skimming thru posts. *smacks head* haha!

In that case, I suppose the metal shim is what you would need to try. Also, get in touch with Gina and let her know what is going on. She's a sweetheart. She may have some ideas for you to try.

One more thing... I guess I didn't have crafting on my mind when I first read the title of this thread "Gina Marie dies"... my heart sank!! You can probably guess what was going thru my head! :o

Last edited by BohemianBelle; 06-09-2016 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohemianBelleView Post
I've got a few sets of Gina Marie dies that I use with my Cuttlebug and I've had no issues. I have heard that these cutting machines we use are all unique, though -- as in some of them apply more pressure than others, etc. A shim is usually the trick that works, though. I have some Time Holtz word dies that don't like to cut all the way thru, so I just use a cardstock shim. I'm too cheap to buy the metal plate... lol!

Arg... I just noticed you already tried the shim. That's what I get for skimming thru posts. *smacks head* haha!

In that case, I suppose the metal shim is what you would need to try. Also, get in touch with Gina and let her know what is going on. She's a sweetheart. She may have some ideas for you to try.

One more thing... I guess I didn't have crafting on my mind when I first read the title of this thread "Gina Marie dies"... my heart sank!! You can probably guess what was going thru my head! :o
Haha next time I'll have to type that as "Dies by xxx". Thanks for the suggestion to get in touch with Gina, I'll give that a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Cuttlebug that is pretty old and well used. I think they may loosen up with time, so that could be the problem - your machine may not exert enough pressure on intricate dies.

Another thing could be your cutting plates for the Cuttlebug. Are they pretty new and flat, or have they warped a bit?

I don't use many intricate dies myself, usually just the basic shapes. But thought it might be something to think about.

I have several sets of Gina Marie dies, the stitched ovals, rectangles and circles, and love them. They do just fine in my Bug.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

She just today released a bunch of limited edition dies with quantities of 20 or less of each. She will not be ordering more. Yup...got them all. I love her dies and have never had an issue with them cutting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 04:00 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This video shows the metal plate being used, and also talks about putting paper shims just where they're needed, not across the entire plate. (Actually, the paper shims discussion may be in the second video. I'd look but have to leave in a few minutes.)

I only need the metal plate occasionally, but it sure is helpful when I do. Good luck.

https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
She just today released a bunch of limited edition dies with quantities of 20 or less of each. She will not be ordering more. Yup...got them all. I love her dies and have never had an issue with them cutting!
Dear sweet Amber - you are my best enabler. I just ordered a couple of sets of Gina Marie dies!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #10  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I suggest that we use a new subject line pattern when coming up with the subject line title for die discussions that include peoples' names LOL. I am always startled when I see subject lines like 'Gina Marie dies' or 'Tim Holtz dies' .... you get the picture I'm just sayin...........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
I suggest that we use a new subject line pattern when coming up with the subject line title for die discussions that include peoples' names LOL. I am always startled when I see subject lines like 'Gina Marie dies' or 'Tim Holtz dies' .... you get the picture I'm just sayin...........
You're right. I've been caught off guard with posts like these, too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I have a Cuttlebug that is pretty old and well used. I think they may loosen up with time, so that could be the problem - your machine may not exert enough pressure on intricate dies.

Another thing could be your cutting plates for the Cuttlebug. Are they pretty new and flat, or have they warped a bit?

I don't use many intricate dies myself, usually just the basic shapes. But thought it might be something to think about.

I have several sets of Gina Marie dies, the stitched ovals, rectangles and circles, and love them. They do just fine in my Bug.
Thanks for the suggestions! My bug is just a month old, and the plates are still flat - I've maybe die cut on them 9 times? I usually use a Cricut, so manual die cutting is new to me. I turn my B plate back and forth each time to avoid it curving. I'm using a C plate on top. Its so odd because I'm having the most trouble with a simple basic shape - cross stitched square dies. I have been caught up with real life (wedding planning wahoo!) so have not emailed Gina yet, but I will share once I manage to do that. I'm sure its just something I'm doing wrong but can't pinpoint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Lucky you! I'm jealous. :grin: I *will* find a way to fix this though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
This video shows the metal plate being used, and also talks about putting paper shims just where they're needed, not across the entire plate. (Actually, the paper shims discussion may be in the second video. I'd look but have to leave in a few minutes.)

I only need the metal plate occasionally, but it sure is helpful when I do. Good luck.

https://m.[url]http://youtu.be/v85WUMjUQ-o
Thank you for the video! Good info there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
Hahaha I'm so sorry if I gave anyone a scare!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the c plate on the bottom, with the die cutting edge facing up, with b plate on top. Maybe try that with a paper shim.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Is there a coupon code for Gina Marie Designs?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biko8666View Post
Is there a coupon code for Gina Marie Designs?
I've never seen one. They are very reasonably priced - mostly $10 and under.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

I've never seen one. They are very reasonably priced - mostly $10 and under.
I've never seen such amazing prices on dies - most places are easily double what she charges! I ordered five sets this morning and got free shipping, and already got a shipping notice this afternoon! Scalloped stitched ovals, squares and rectangles, fishtail banners and wine labels headed my way! I thought about getting the scalloped stitched circles, too, but I just got those from CC Designs (for $18 instead of the $10 I would have paid at Gina Marie's, I might add). Fun times!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

You're right. I've been caught off guard with posts like these, too.
I, too, laughed when I saw this and knew that only at Splitcoaststampers would everyone knew immediately what this meant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Stampers really do have a unique language.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

Can someone help me find the Gina Marie Happy Birthday die--I thought it was in script, but all I'm seeing is "Thank you" and Get Well". Love their stitched rectangles--use them on probably 1/3 of the cards I make....esp for masculine cards where you want to finish it off a bit without something too flowery....I'm on the Scrapbook Outlet website, but if it's discontinued I wonder if I'll have to go to Ebay...TIA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Where are you all buying the Gina Marie dies? When I google it, I get a number of sites including scrapbook.com, scrapbookpal and Amazon. Thanks.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
Where are you all buying the Gina Marie dies? When I google it, I get a number of sites including scrapbook.com, scrapbookpal and Amazon. Thanks.
Dea
I think most of us get the Gina Marie dies from Scrapbook Outlet. Here is a link:

Scrapbook Outlet

Reply With Quote Likes