Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #41  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappintlcView Post
I looked at Joanns and the only thing they had was the Mona Lisa Odorless Paint Thinner.

I think that is correct....that is what I got.

Gamasol was double the price. The contents were the same. Mona Lisa is a white plastic bottle; Gamasol is a metal can.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default and practice........

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb ZaView Post
I use the Mona Lisa brand of Odorless Mineral Spirits
I use Mona Lisa brand too. At first I thought I would never get the hang of it. Tried baby oil. Didn't like the oily edges. Tried Goo Gone and thought "Aha! I finally got it." (even though Goo Gone smells a bit like gasoline)Then I tried the Mona Lisa again and it worked just great.

D'ya think maybe what I needed was practice? Uh huh!
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Gotta read back still but I appreciate everyones posts.

Anyone have more to add?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #44  
Stampin' Fool

I just bought the kohinoor pencils and used gamsol/odorless mineral spirits which is the same thing and it worked great. I used stazon black on whisper white as I still havn't had a chance to purches PTI white cardstock. I would see about trying a momento or palette ink though as I do find the mineral spirits smears the stazon a bit but that could be me as well.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #45  
Glitter Guru

For my coloring I have used odorless turpenoid (another type of paint thinner kind of stuff) but it would give me a headache after using it a while so I knew it wasn't good for me. I also tried baby oil gel but couldn't get it to work (it ate up the paper and didn't blend). Now I use goo gone after seeing it used here. It works perfectly for me, blends great and smells pretty good. I use just regular stampin' up black ink on Georgia Pacific paper from walmart. I don't have the funds to purchase prismacolors at this point, so I bought a 100 set of RoseArt pencils from Target that were only $9.99! They work pretty darn good for being so reasonable and have tons of color options. There's so many different options as far as brands and products for you to try, so you might find something works or feels better for you than something else. You will love this form of coloring, once you get the hang of it. It's super fun and easy. Hope this helps, Jessica
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2008, 01:50 AM   #46  
Kookie Creator

I use baby oil. When we moved I couldn't find the others and read about the baby oil which was already in the house. I love it and don't worry nearly as much when coloring around my son.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #47  
Kookie Creator

I bought the Mona Lisa brand of Odorless Mineral Spirits. I have only used it a little with prisma colored pencils because it changed the color of the pencil so it no longer matched the SU paper that I wanted it to match.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #48  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappintlcView Post
HI there, whereabouts are you?
Sorry for the late reply, but I'm just 15 minutes away from Gaylord
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #49  
Kookie Creator

I've been using crayola colored pencils from 12 years ago (finally putting them to use) with goo gone, and I love it. I had my hubby convinced that I needed 132 prismacolor pencils, but now i don't feel the need for them. I had bought a can of gamsol in anticipation of getting the prismacolors, but that has now been sent to the shed with the rest of the paint thinners and paint supplies! I prefer goo gone since the smell reminds me to be more cautious about venting my room. I think I will buy a set of Koo hi Noor pencils just to see the difference, but I'm pretty happy with the Crayolas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdoyle8View Post
You guys are using stumps to blend with, right?
I just got my set of 120 Prismacolors in the mail yesterday!! Can't wait to play!
do you mind my asking how much was the 120 prisma color pencils? i was at michael's today, and waw a set of 120 for $169.99. with the 40% coupon, that would have brought it to $102. (plus tax) i hesitated to buy them, trying to remember pricing when i was researching on line... and of course, i started thinking that if i waited for the occasional 50% off coupon (should be getting one around labor day) that would even be a better deal...i bought a pack of 96 crayola crayons to play with until i get the prisma pencils!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #51  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by starsandcards55View Post
do you mind my asking how much was the 120 prisma color pencils? i was at michael's today, and waw a set of 120 for $169.99. with the 40% coupon, that would have brought it to $102. (plus tax) i hesitated to buy them, trying to remember pricing when i was researching on line... and of course, i started thinking that if i waited for the occasional 50% off coupon (should be getting one around labor day) that would even be a better deal...i bought a pack of 96 crayola crayons to play with until i get the prisma pencils!
I haven't gotten a whole set, but I have pretty much all of the prismas. I get them from Utrecht(art supply store), and they have special until the 15th each one is $0.99
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #52  
Mad Swapper

To reaffirm what a few people have said:
many of these products are toxic in one way or another.
Here's a website with some good info.
http://www.environmentaldefence.ca/t...tist/index.htm

and another very useful website to help you in your choices

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/index.htm

Last edited by vanislandwoman; 08-07-2008 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: Edited to add further information
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #53  

Another alias for Gamsol is Odorless Turpenoid. I got mine at Hobby Lobby for $4.99 for 4 oz. (art supply section I use Prismacolors and I love it. I started using it direct from the bottle but decided with my luck it would definitely topple over. So I got a round container, the type you get brads in (or larger) and put a cosmetic sponge in it, saturated it with the Turpenoid and it works out great. It will never spill over and it never dries out. It doesn't overload the stumps either. I was quite pleased with my ingenuity. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #54  
Inking Addict

A little late jumping on this topic....

I love the look of OMS with prismas - but every time I use it suffer headaches.

So, I decided to try the goo-gone. I bought a small bottle at the Dollar Tree (with automotive supplies). I love the goo-gone. I love the citrus-y scent and I love how it spreads the color.

But ---- the reason for my post. I was coloring with goo gone and carelessly spilled some on my paper. I had stamped 10 images. Eight were finished, I was still working on two of them.

When the paper dried, not a spot left on it -- no wrinkles. You would never know it had been saturated with the goo gone.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I bought the koh-noor sp? lead-less pencils at HL and used a coupon... I love the way they color and blend- I think better than Prisma... I had bought a couple of the prisma colors seperate that I wanted. I believe the koh- noor pencils color very smooth. I love mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmoore1View Post
Another alias for Gamsol is Odorless Turpenoid. I got mine at Hobby Lobby for $4.99 for 4 oz. (art supply section I use Prismacolors and I love it. I started using it direct from the bottle but decided with my luck it would definitely topple over. So I got a round container, the type you get brads in (or larger) and put a cosmetic sponge in it, saturated it with the Turpenoid and it works out great. It will never spill over and it never dries out. It doesn't overload the stumps either. I was quite pleased with my ingenuity. LOL
thanks for this info! i bought a bottle of mona lisa OMS and was wondering how best to keep it contained ( i, too, was sure i would knock it over if i used it directly from the bottle and it was too messy to pour into the lid...) i will try this asap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 06:06 AM   #57  

Quote:

thanks for this info! i bought a bottle of mona lisa OMS and was wondering how best to keep it contained ( i, too, was sure i would knock it over if i used it directly from the bottle and it was too messy to pour into the lid...) i will try this asap.
I think it will work out great for you. You also mentioned in another post about the cost of Prismacolors. I bought mine on line from Blick Art Supplies (dickblick.com). The 132 color tin set is $89.00. Even with shipping the pricing is great. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #58  
Crimping Master

I've tried all three products with my Prismas (OMS, Goo Gone and baby oil).
I really prefer the baby oil because I know it's safe. It does, however, leave a bit of oily residue on the back side of the paper, but if you plan on layering your image (which is how I usually do it) it's not a problem.

I have been having a blast coloring away with my prismas. I've rec'd some great images from the wish RAK group and stamped up a bunch of my favorites. I color them at my leisure and have a nice supply of pretty colored images for my cards.

I hope you have fun no matter what method you use. I like knowing the baby oil is safe so that's mainly why I prefer it.

Coletta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #59  
Rubber Obsessor

I have seen crayola colored pencils mentioned here as well as roseart. Then I saw where someone said they used crayons. I would be interested in hearing more about using these as I can't afford the others yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

I have tried the Goo-gone and it seems to work well. I have very little experience with the pencils though and am still experimenting. The idea of the OMS makes me nervous. Too many warnings on the containers for me. But whatever you use to color with prisma pencils -- what paper do you use? I have used watercolor paper and that doesn't seem to allow for moving the color around very well, not wet enough. But whenever I use cardstock (usually SU white cardstock or PTI white) it seems to tear up the paper. Are you only supposed to use watercolor paper with the prismas???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #61  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebarcView Post
I have tried the Goo-gone and it seems to work well. I have very little experience with the pencils though and am still experimenting. The idea of the OMS makes me nervous. Too many warnings on the containers for me. But whatever you use to color with prisma pencils -- what paper do you use? I have used watercolor paper and that doesn't seem to allow for moving the color around very well, not wet enough. But whenever I use cardstock (usually SU white cardstock or PTI white) it seems to tear up the paper. Are you only supposed to use watercolor paper with the prismas???
I've had the same problem with the paper "peeling up" if I blend too much with cardstock...although I don't have a clear answer for you, I think I found the OMS caused less of that (maybe it's less wet?), and I also found that different cardstocks are different--definitely don't like the SU whisper white for this technique.
I don't find I can move the color around all that much, anyway...so I mostly try to color lightly the way I want it to look and then just use the OMS to make it look like watercolors more, rather than trying to move colors around so much. Just my issue, I'm sure--I'm challenged on a lot of the techniques that others seem to love LOL

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 02:46 AM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

I'm glad to hear someone else can't seem to move the color around very well. It just seems to smudge. I'll try your technique of coloring first and then blending a little with the goo gone.
So, what papers do you have good luck with?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #63  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
I use Mona Lisa brand too. At first I thought I would never get the hang of it. Tried baby oil. Didn't like the oily edges. Tried Goo Gone and thought "Aha! I finally got it." (even though Goo Gone smells a bit like gasoline)Then I tried the Mona Lisa again and it worked just great.

D'ya think maybe what I needed was practice? Uh huh!
Glad I found this

I was at AC Moore today and bought my 1st colored pencils and saw the Mona Lisa "Odoless Paint Thinner" and did not buy it because it didnt say "Mineral Spirits"...I guess it was the same thing. oops, should've bought it:(

I am VERY afraid of anythign smelling at all. I cant even be around someone with body lotion on or I get sick, every single smell in the world makes me sick and gives me a headache instantly...should I try the Baby Oil? Or is the "odorless" spirits really truly 100% odorless?
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:28 AM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just learned this technique from ButterflyEars last week, and am so excited to see it here today. I need to purchase this goo gone stuff because if I dont use watercolor paper, the bably oil does leave oil image around the colors.
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #65  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebarcView Post
I'm glad to hear someone else can't seem to move the color around very well. It just seems to smudge. I'll try your technique of coloring first and then blending a little with the goo gone.
So, what papers do you have good luck with?
Actually I haven't found a paper that I really love yet--they all peel up and don't blend to me; so I just have to color & wet it, basically (except with the OMS, that's a little more forgiving).

JPmayo, the OMS doesn't smell to me but I am not sensitive like you are, so I couldn't swear that it wouldn't smell to you.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:37 AM   #66  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference between Oderless Mineral Spirits and Artist Grade Oderless Mineral Spirits is the artist grade is more refined, a cleaner, more pure product. The other stuff is just a cheaper quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #67  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by guidinggirlView Post
I am pretty sure that you can use any kind of pencil crayons but I think Prismas or other artist grade work better.

SU! color pencils work well. In fact, in a recent craft critique, SU! colored pencils (which are made in Germany) were the favorite above Prismas, much to my surprise and delight!

You can read the critique for yourself HERE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

Default Goo Gone?!?!

I have used OMS and baby oil, of the two I prefer the OMS. I found the baby oil sometimes soaked the paper and took a while to dry. I am going to have to try Goo Gone now to compare! Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #69  
Kookie Creator

Just an FYI for those using baby oil because you have little ones around the house. Keep the baby oil out of reach. If a little one tries to drink it and accidently inhales it can be very dangerous.

I never had it happen but my youngest son when he was two would try to drink anything. Water bed conditioner, Lime-a-Way, anything left sitting for a few minutes unattended. (or attended by my husband!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #70  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post
Glad I found this

I was at AC Moore today and bought my 1st colored pencils and saw the Mona Lisa "Odoless Paint Thinner" and did not buy it because it didnt say "Mineral Spirits"...I guess it was the same thing. oops, should've bought it:(

I am VERY afraid of anythign smelling at all. I cant even be around someone with body lotion on or I get sick, every single smell in the world makes me sick and gives me a headache instantly...should I try the Baby Oil? Or is the "odorless" spirits really truly 100% odorless?
Anyone have any advice for me?
Is it truly odorless?

Thanks!

I havent unwrapped my new Prisma pencils in case there is no odorless medium for me to use...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #71  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Is it truly odorless?

Thanks!

I havent unwrapped my new Prisma pencils in case there is no odorless medium for me to use...
sorry.. I have no idea. I use goo gone and it has a very strong citrus smell. I am also sensitive to odors, but citrus is ok with me.
sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #72  
Mad Swapper

when you say " stumpers" Are we talking the paper stumpers used in metal embossing?

I have Koh I noors and would like to put them to more use.

I did not like the way the baby oil worked. I have used a Dove blender pen. It seems to work well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #73  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Is it truly odorless?

Thanks!

It's important to remember that 'orderless' only means that the offensive order has been greatly reduced...the toxicity of the product remains the same. Within 10 minutes after opening a toxic product, my ears start aching, then the head ache begins, and that's followed by a churning stomach. I'm one of the fortunate ones...my body tells me immediately what I should or should not use. Makes no difference if the product has an odor...the reactions I get are the same.

If you do use an odorless toxic product, read and follow all warnings on the container...it's especailly important that any drink containers are removed from the room, and there is absolutely no snacking during the use of these products. Wash your hand thoroughly after using any solvent-based product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #74  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I guess the Prisma pencils are going back to AC Moore this weekend...oh well.

Thanks for the info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #75  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Thanks for the info
Before taking the pencils back, have you tried the colorless blender pencil that Prisma has? I used mine last night because I had embossed then colored the image, I started out using the OMS but it caused the embossing to smear into the coloring so I grabbed the blender pencil and it work well, it doesn't give the same results as the OMS but it does work. I would hate to see you give up on the pencils before trying everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #76  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Thanks for the info
I purchased a set of Koh-i-noor pencils from M's. You don't get as many as the prismas but they color beautifully. I used baby oil gel to blend the colors and it worked great. The baby oil gel didn't work as well the the prismas though. But you could try it. I had no idea baby oil gel would work with something like this but it did. If you don't use very much on your blending stump you can avoid the oil getting into the paper as much and not making an oil mark outside your image.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #77  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by avajoView Post
I have seen crayola colored pencils mentioned here as well as roseart. Then I saw where someone said they used crayons. I would be interested in hearing more about using these as I can't afford the others yet.
i use the crayola crayons and goo gone and stumps, then i use my lightest shade markers to add depth. But my problem lies with the stumps shaft bending or i can only sand them a few times without the tips bending, any tips on that would be appreciated. i have tried to sharpen with a electric pencil sharpener but the rotation goes the opposite way the paper is wound on the stumps, if that makes any sense to anyone. here is a sample:
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by elaina fullerView Post
i use the crayola crayons and goo gone and stumps, then i use my lightest shade markers to add depth. But my problem lies with the stumps shaft bending or i can only sand them a few times without the tips bending, any tips on that would be appreciated. i have tried to sharpen with a electric pencil sharpener but the rotation goes the opposite way the paper is wound on the stumps, if that makes any sense to anyone. here is a sample:
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
i have the same trouble with the stumps i bought (from michaels, with a coupon, of course!) i can't get them to sharpen to a point - i tried a sanding block and sand paper) i get the color off, but the stump is not pointed, just rounded... hard to get into corners. also, on some of the prisma color pencils, the color changes significantly (mostly the indigo blue - it lightens and no longer matches the cardstock or paper) does anyone else have these problems (i tried oms and mineral oil and it happens with both)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #79  
Forum Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

thanks for the info ladies..... now that I've decided on a pencil brand and a blending solution..... how about a tutorial? Is there one out there??

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 02:17 AM   #80  
Embossing Fanatic

this is a very interesting thread. I have tried a few ways with my primacolours, but I end up going back to my aquatones and whisper markers as I get a better blending result- the colours seem to blend easier for me.
I would love to do better with my prisma's- It may only be practice!
Jules

www.fairynuffstuff.co.uk

Do you believe in fairies?
Reply With Quote Likes