Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:39 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EZ Mount thin w/ existing rubber?

Has anyone unmounted their SU stamps to use with acrylic blocks using the thin EZ Mount - and left the foam on? Or mounted new SU stamps that haven't been mounted on the wood block yet - onto EZ Mount thin to use with acrylic blocks? I am really starting to seriously think about this - my stamps are taking up way too much room. Feedback please. Thanks!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2007, 04:47 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I have not tried this, but am interested to hear what others think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2007, 04:49 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Interesting

I would love to see thoughts on this too.. My stamps are taking up loads of space too and I am not parting with any just keep adding more..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2007, 07:44 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I just started prepping all the SU sets that I had not mounted yet for unmounted use. I am using the vinyl cling sheets that sundayint sells and at a buck a piece, the price is much cheaper than thin or regular EZMount. When I'm done with these, then I'll start unmounting most (not all) of my other mounted SU sets and then I will use EZMount as my understanding is that the rubber and foam pull apart, and I'm a gal who likes to stamp with the padding of the foam. I'm not quite awake yet, so I hope that makes sense!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have several sets (both SU and some from Michael's/JoAnnes) that I kept the cushion on and mounted on the thin EZ Mount. I love the stuff. So much that I also mounted a bunch of alphabets and small stamps on it that were bare rubbah-on a lot of smaller stamps, it seems like the regular cushion is too thick. The thin EZ Mount is also a lot easier to cut thru when you're trimming, and it sticks to the acrylic block like a dream.

One thing I did notice - the SU stamps with their cushion plus the thin EZ Mount are a little thick now for cd cases. The case will still close, but it presses down on the stamp a little. I don't think it will damage the stamp as long as it's just the flat case cover, but I don't like it. I've been planning to switch from the cd cases to some other method, anyway, so it's not really an issue for me, but it's something to keep in mind.

For a while I was using the cling vinyl instead of the thin EZ Mount, and it works - but the stamps don't cling nearly as well. Especially when you start cleaning them. It is considerably less expensive, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

anyone else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am mounting all of my stamps on Thin EZMount and I love it. It cuts easily - I have plenty of cushion with it and it's easy to store (in a binder or CD case.) I don't leave the original foam on; I think that would be too thick and unwieldy to use.

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. Victor Hugo

SeeMyGallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 06:35 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

I UMd all of my Mike's dollar-fifty WM stamps and put them on the thin EZ mount. I nuked the stamps in the microwave until the adhesive softened, then put the rubber and existing foam onto the thin mount. I had heard too many comments about how miserable the rubber is to remove from the foam on these stamps, so I was very happy to have this way to conver them for use with acrylic blocks. Like cbet said, the stamps are now a little thick for storage in CD cases, but I store my stamps on half-sheets of those magnetic photo album pages filed in boxes. I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up removing the vinyl cling from all of my unmounted stamps and putting them all on EZMount. The vinyl cling eventually won't cling at all, but the EZMount cling goes on and on . . . and on. :o) I personally wouldn't leave any original foam on the rubber - you just don't need it and it adds bulk. The microwave method worked well on most of my stamps, though I did need to break out a bottle of UnDo to remove the original foam from some of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I just experiemented with the trimmings from SU rubber. I zapped it in the microwave for 30 sec. and the rubber peeled off of the foam really easily. I'm getting the So Many Sayings hostess set and I think I'll cut them apart, remove the foam and remount on EZMount. That way I can use the sayings individually, instead of having to be so careful how I ink them up on the wood mount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

i read what "mahlumel" had to say about unmounting su stamps in a different therad and iam so ready to unmount. infact i ordered yesterday a few sheets of thin ez mount but forgot the thicker one.

iam dissapointed to read that they would not fit in a cd case thats what i was hoping to do but oh well...
i have started to get rid of sets just cause i had no space anymore and now i regret not having them anymore.

My SCS Gallery
My blog
: Pretty Pressings
Designer for Magnolia, Sweden, Lili of the Valley and Sir Stampalot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

what other storage methods than cd cases do you use and like?

My SCS Gallery
My blog
: Pretty Pressings
Designer for Magnolia, Sweden, Lili of the Valley and Sir Stampalot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudiafromGermanyView Post
what other storage methods than cd cases do you use and like?
I have all of my unmounteds in 2inch, 3-ring binders and the EZ Mount stiff binder pages from Sunday International. Separated in categories using the tabbed EZ Mount dividers.
http://www.sundayint.com/index.asp?P...TS&Category=60

I LOVE this system - and Sunday International gives demos a 25% discount which was a huge bonus!

100 stamps will fit in 1 binder.... probably more, I'm estimating low.
It would drive me crazy to have to sort through CD cases of stamps... I want all of them easily accessible and easy to find!

I stamped index sheets of the images so I know what I have - each category has it's own page, just stamp any new purchases in the book.

Love this system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudiafromGermanyView Post
iam dissapointed to read that they would not fit in a cd case thats what i was hoping to do but oh well...
So sorry to hear I might have misled you on UM stamps and storage in CD cases. :( Because you asked about ways we like to store UM stamps, I took some photos of my stamp storage and just finished uploading them to my gallery. They should be at the top of my gallery right now, and will have today's date on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahloumelView Post
So sorry to hear I might have misled you on UM stamps and storage in CD cases. :( Because you asked about ways we like to store UM stamps, I took some photos of my stamp storage and just finished uploading them to my gallery. They should be at the top of my gallery right now, and will have today's date on them.
I think my brain works the way yours does, too! I really want to be able to 'flip through' quickly and see things together. Thanks for the idea for the 1/2 sheet magnetic pages - are those things actually still for sale these days? After they went and turned all our 70's photos orange and green? LOL - maybe it's reflections from the shag carpets .....and I wonder if I'll be able to find a box too hold them.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

The local Walmart sells an album with 40 magnetic sheets for ~$5, OR you can buy a refill pack of 10 sheets (without the album) for ~$4. I don't know who the heck buys just the refill packs! Maybe just folks really bad at math. At the local Wmart they are with the other photo albums, by the frames and mirrors and furniture. They might be in a different place elsewhere, hopefully easier to find than in the local mart.

I have edited the text under the pink box (stamp storage 2) but it's not showing up. Grr!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Mel - thanks for the ideas! I've been kicking around different ways to store my stamps for a while now - the cd cases are so nice and compact and uniform, but you can't always fit a whole set in one case and that irks me for some reason; and now that I have some sets that are too thick . . .

My big problem is I spend so much time trying to come up with the ultimate organization system that I don't spend enough time using what I've accumulated! I love the magnetic photo album sheets cut down - infinitely expandable, easy to rearrange, thick enough to stand up to the weight of the stamps and it won't blow my budget. Guess I'll be visiting Wal-Mart soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Where is the cheapest place to buy the Thin EZ MOunt? I'm in the process of unmounting all my Michael's stamps and the foam is just not going to come off so I'm thinking that I will stop fighting with it and just use Thin EZ MOunt, but Sunday International is $4.50 a sheet (OUCH!) so I'm hoping to find a cheaper solution.

Any advice would be most welcome!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

I got mine from Blockheads. They carry both Thin EZ Mount plus a generic brand of the same product -- I got the generic (which they expressed a preference for) and it works great. You can buy it in packs of five sheets at a time for additional savings.
Reply With Quote Likes